Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Northernminx

Temple of Dreams

For use when working with the many Gods of Sleep, Dreams, and Nightmares.

I just put this on, since I am needing to retire to bed and I just got this today, so I figured I would try it.

In the bottle
Whoa. Sharp, bitter herbs. I am scared to put this on - the smell is very strong and not one I like. I get no lemon or lavender.

Wet on skin
Still bitter and biting - rosemary and some potent lavender.

Dry on skin
It does soften after some time, even though I did not think it would. It is not what I would call a pretty scent, yet, by any means. A little pine-like. And, well, it burns a little.

Conclusion:
I guess I will have to tell you in the morning. Let's see if this can unlock the mysteries of my sub/unconcious mind.
ETA: They should really place a warning on this like sleep medications do "Do not use this scent unless you can commit to a full night of sleep" and "Please be prepared with pen and paper to write down bizarre dreams"

Now, I am usually a cynic when it comes to new age-y stuff like aromatherapy and stones and chakras, etc. However, I am turning into a believer and this only further enhanced that belief. I usually sleep 4-5 hours, wake up for an hour, then sleep again for 2 hours. I put this on at midnight. Woke up at 10am with only one interruption @ 5 b/c DD was crying. And I had several vivid, intricate dreams.

This worked so well, I am actually kind of spooked. The cynic in me wants to blame the "psychosomatic" effect. But..... Edited by Shollin

I've used this for the past few nights and I haven't noticed any big changes in my dreaming patterns. The first night I had an awesome dream, but since last night I barely remember what I dreamed, I'm thinking the first night might be due to watching Carnivale before bed and not this oil blend.

As far as scent goes though, I'm getting a weird mix of licorice and black pepper from this. The two notes don't blend into each other at all. It's an odd mix, but it is very calming and it does put me to sleep.

as a general rule, i don't like lavender.... however i've never slept well and the Lab has repeatedly frimped me this, so i figured it was time i tried it.

at least, that's what i thought until i opened it... and was almost knocked over my the sinus-clearing, nausea-inducing scent of LAVENDER screaming at me.

i closed the imp, carefully, and tucked it far, far into the depths of ye olde swap pile o'doom.

i'm sorry, but this is not touching my skin.

i've had more trouble sleeping lately than usual, so i gave this a whirl last night. it's lavender and herbal, like others have said, but i have no idea what herb it is. i slept pretty well for awhile, but i didn't remember my dreams. i was awoken by my cat and after that had restless sleep. i should've reapplied some. but the first few hours when i first went to sleep i slept very soundly. i am going to try it some more and see how it works and also let me insomniac best friend try it and see if it works for her.

imp: rosemary and eucalyptus.

wet: a hint of lavender with deluge of rosemary.

dry: lavender. i'm gonna try wearing this one to bed tonight.

This was on of the first oils I ever tried. While I can't say I loved the smell I kept coming back to it and reapplying it as it faded during the day. I don't think I'd want to wear it to bed because I enjoyed sniffing the changes on my skin too much. It went through distinct stages, much like sleep does.

In the bottle: A clean scent, very herbal and slightly astringent.

Wet on my wrist: Astringent and hebal. I couldn't tell you which herb, just that it smelled like good green stuff.

Dry down: The herbal fades and cinnamon, of all things, comes to the fore and lingers about an hour. It eventually fades to a dried flower sort of smell.

Verdict: It's so intriguing I'll keep it around to see if it does the same thing again at a different point in my cycle. The stages in this one were so distinct and different, I'll want to keep playing with it to see if it keeps doing the same thing.

In the bottle: This is a strange one for me. I immediately loved the smell as soon as I opened the bottle. Very strong lavender, very... deep scent. I don't know how else to decribe it.

wet: Wet, sharp lavender that jumped out at me right away. With another sniff, I could get a touch of lemon, with a bunch of other herbs beneath. sage?

dry: defiantely sage. Sage and lavender fighting for control on my skin, but not in a bad way. It mellows a little, but keeps up the sharp herbal overtones. I don't really know if it helped mesleep, but I sure did dream. I don't generally remember my dreams, but I had a bunch of weird ones that night. I don't know how long it lasted on my skin, as it was gone by the time I woke up. Which is actually good, because it means I didn't have to wash off remnants of scent the next morning.

Very nice! I have my bottle and I love it, but it is a scent that I would have to be in a certain mood to wear. Very deep, sharp, and intense.

Somnium was all lemon and a little lavender for me - not unpleasant but not very calming either. It was quite sharp initially but drydown was fast and then I got almost a lemonbalm take to it. Pretty but not lavender on me *sobs*

Temple of Dreams smelled like lavender and a cooking herb. Sage is probably right. Soothing.

Another really good sleep blend. I'm not plagued by nightmares so I can't say if it keeps them away but I'm a big lavender fan and I do like this one.

Ok, so my nose must be completely backward and upside down. I've been using essential oil of lavendar for sleep for several weeks now and it seemed to help. So I tried Temple of Dreams to help me make sense of my dreaming.

I wasn't sleepy when I applied this, but it seemed to calm me to a sleepiness rather quickly. As for its scent, there was definately lavendar and something sweet, perhaps vanilla, but most of all, it was very spicy like clove. I don't know if there is actually any clove in this blend, but those that do seem to amp clove for me. I definately detected something similar, if not actually, clove.

My dreams last night? I worked through the night, teaching in my dreams. But at one point, there was a hole in my ceiling, and I saw a very plump mouse/rat, on the beams. And I thought in my dream, "How could a mouse survive those 2 fat cats who live here?" Well, that was only one night. We shall see what we see.

I am testing this as a sleep blend, not as a perfume.

In the imp this seems to be a mix of lavender and sage. I am a big fan of lavender, so whether or not this will actually affect my sleep/dreams, I know I will find it pleasant.

The sage/herbal note becomes much stronger on my skin, and a clove like smell peeks out. I like this quite a bit, though the sage gets a bit sour after it begins to dry down. Eeehhh, the more it dries down, the more sour and offputting it becomes. All I can say is that I definitely would NOT wear this as perfume even if I was testing it with those intentions. Now I am going to hope into bed and will finish this review in the morning with my reports of the blend's effects on my sleep/dreams.

Ehhh, ok, morning now. I did not fall asleep any easier than I normally do and unfortunately, I had one of my recurring bad dreams...where I'm in a class and I have a paper due soon and I had completely forgot and haven't even started and I don't know what I'm going to do...damn. I HATE THOSE DREAMS. I also had a dream about being in a play that was rather interesting, but I freakin hate those school dreams where I haven't studied for a test/written a paper/etc, so this blend is not for me. I already knew my subconscious was full of lingering academic anxiety, I worry about it enough during the day, don't need to be worried in my sleep!

Edited by Suu4LC

This will probably be the shortest review I've ever written..

This smells quite simply like Lavender & Urine mixed together...

:P

In the imp: Very quiet, herb-y, nice. Something a little alcoholic along the sides.

Wet: Lavender, rosemary, aaaaaand -- bubble gum.

Drydown: This is not relaxing, it actually wakes me up. And it makes my skin smell like bubble gum. So no.

In the imp it has such a sharp scent it is almost eucalyptus like with a bit of lavender.

On my skin I can sort the scents better and it seems more like sharp lavender, rosemary and lemon as described by others.

As it dries the lemoniness becomes more herbal so I'm guessing verbena and I feel like there was the tiniest hint of something floral as I drifted off to sleep.

I did then have very vivid dreams that I still remembered come morning. That hasn't happend alot lately since I don't get enough quality sleep.

isisonearth and I discussed how different our senses of smell on Temple Of Dreams are earlier today! I love how we each have an keenly unique sense of smell!

From the imp: Bright, sharp lavender with some herbalness in the background.

Wet: Clove breaks through the lavenderDry: At first this is all lavender, but as it dries it becomes more interesting and complex. The drydown is spicy lavender,clove and sandalwood.

Verdict: I love this! It is a beautiful and calming oil that helps calm me down at bedtime! DH thinks it is too sharp....for me it is a soothing herbal smell. As a very light sleeper, I find it easier to stay asleep wearing a few drops of the oil on the breastbone.Sweet dreams!

I am so lucky to have received this one care of wonderful forumite. I love it, and I cannot wait to slather it a bit before I go to bed tonight. It has all the notes that I love, the crisp lavender and sharp lemon-citrus. After awhile it becomes a little smoky, almost like you've just blown a candle out. This is a calming scent, yet refreshing at the same time. I often have strange and scary dreams, I will have to edit my review in the morning to let you all know if I can tell a difference.

In the Bottle

Whoa: this is lavendar, of which I'm not usually a fan. BUT, I have an exception to the rule-- if it's for sleepytime stuffs, sure, bring it on.

On Me

Still lavendar, predominantly, but underlying that is a soft creaminess and a slight twist of citrus. It's perfect for sleep. :P Unlike other lavendar blends- like Yvaine-- this is a soft, gentle lav-- it's not hard and medicinal-- I think this is English, as opposed to French lavendar?-- not sure.

It's not something I'd wear as a perfume, but I didn't buy it for that-- I bought it for sleep. This is how I assume TKO would smell, oddly enough (so now I want to compare them).

By morning, it's gone, however, though there's a weirdly comforting waft of it left on my pillow. Ahhh.

I can't compare this one to the other sleep blends because I haven't smelled them yet- but I LOVE this one. I really like the lavender + herb/citrus/whatever it is. I wouldn't wear it as a perfume, but it is lovely before bed.

I shy away from strong lavendar, but I like this for some reason. I am going to try sleeping with it on tonight and see what happens.

I don't really know how to describe this. It is a rather herbal lavender, but it's wonderfully comforting. As much as I love TKO, I actually find that it keeps me awake even though it is somewhat calming. Temple of Dreams on the other hand, calms my mind and helps me relax so that I can fall asleep.

I also really enjoy the scent, though I wouldn't wear it as a perfumed, but it's the one scent I actually look forward to putting on before bed (a little behind the ears and in my hair). :P

Edited by Femme_Fatale

In bottle/imp: Very very very sharp, herbal lavender

Immediately on skin: This is an extremely herbal blend. It’s lavender as well as something even sharper… reading the reviews I see people have mentioned rosemary and that may very well be it. There’s also a slight citrus note, but it’s not very strong in the blend.

After a few minutes: Something sweet has joined the party and the mixture of that, the lavender, rosemary, and slight citrus smells almost exactly like a citronella candle on me… it’s so weird!

Overall Impressions: I didn’t wear this to bed, so I’m unable to comment on its effect, but I find this very unpleasant from first application to dry down. At first, it’s too sharp and herbal, and then it turns into a scent eerily similar to that of a lit citronella candle on me. However, if you like very herbal blends and adore lavender, this may work for you.

In the imp: Very, very herbal, with something sharply floral in the background

Wet on skin: The herbs are a bit more mellow and the lavender is more identifiable (still very sharp)

Dry on skin: Sharp lavender with some herbs, no sweetness whatsoever

This one's not for me. I did try to wear it to bed but it gave me a headache--had to get up and wash it off at 1 a.m.

First, a bit of explanation: this was a frimp from the Lab -- I have no trouble sleeping and no interest in dreams. My experience is of a scent I hoped to sleep in, just for the pleasure of sleeping in scent.

I tried this imp twice, and if I didn't know better, I'd swear it was two different oils. One night it was lavender, with something behind that I had trouble placing -- a kitchen herb, definitely, but nothing I considered seemed quite right. Looking at some other reviews, I'm still not sure, but it wasn't rosemary. Maybe basil, but I think it must have been a combination. Definitely lemon zest, as well (not lemon verbena, just straight lemon oil). Very pleasant, not quite sweet.

The second attempt (I was hoping to identify those herbs!), was a disaster. Stronger lavender, but with overly sweet, way-past-their-prime vegetables on top. :P

So I still can't tell you what's in here, except for it being kitchen-related.

ETA: forgot to mention the lemon

Edited by tacey

I use this on my eye pillow when I drift off to sleep, so it doesn't morph at all. I smell lavender, rosemary, and possibly basil in it. While it is sort of an odd combination, I find it very pleasing. It doesn't help me remember my dreams, but i do sleep very soundly when I use it.

I get something very fresh and almost sage smelling from this one. I've been having awful stress nightmares for a couple months now on a regular basis and this blend helped immensely! I woke up refreshed and relaxed and am very grateful for that! I didn't detect very much lavender, but it was a slightly astringent scent in a comforting way. Thanks BPAL :P