Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Surreal

Nyarlathotep

Brooding, yet electric: the scent of buried secrets, roiling nightmares, the essence of the Crawling Chaos, the Father of Knives and Locusts, the Hunter in the Dark. This is the blackest of ritual incenses charged with flashes of ozone.

I got a bit scared because this smells like vetiver in the imp, but ooooh yes I like this one. Incense and ozone are two of my favorite things, and two things I would never think to put together. But I can't really describe what this smells like. It's definitely what it says - ozone and DARK incense. This is not frankincense. Opoponax and copal maybe?

The overall impression is all shadows and sparks. I agree with tinyvulture's statement - "camping out in the woods during a storm."

This is hard to pin down, but freshly applied i get lemon verbena with a weirdly familiar, chewy type of incense that i think is labdanum. 

Okay after reading some other reviewers i hear people saying vetiver, and that's def the rooty chewiness but i think there is something else in there cause as it dries it mixes with the verbena to create a tolerable lemony haze distinct from the vetiveriness. I still think labdanum. A strange blend but interesting, i would wear this for those times when i want to wear a more discreet scent that is not overtly perfumey but still distinct. Pretty good throw on the two imp swipes i used

Edited by DiZZysTARdust

simply put, lemon-y and incense-y ozone. this one is not what I expected to be at ALL...it's much brighter. the description lead me to believe it would be more brooding than what it truly is.

some sniffs I LOVE it. it makes me feel like a woodland nymph laying out during a summer thunderstorm. other sniffs I get...bathroom soap. the ozone really sets this apart from that for the most part, however. 

once/if it comes back in stock, I think I'll grab a full bottle to take when I go hiking. have to agree with other poster's that this would smell a lot better on my boyfriend too. :lovestruck:

Edited by whipwaif
Incomplete sentence

From an aged bottle--by aged I mean at least 7 years old because there was no date on it and I started labeling the bottles with dates in 2014.  Lemon verbena is the predominant note on my wrist which is where things evaporate the fastest.  In the crook of my elbow and on first huff directly from the bottle I can confirm that at least part of the incense is labdanum because it has a nice cola aspect and myrrh because that one always smells fuzzy for lack of a better word and to throw a little synesthesia in there.  This smells similar to Egypt from the Wanderlust category--which makes sense, as Nyaralthotep is Egyptian.  I am wondering if the lemony smell is due to some benzoin inclusion?  

As time goes by this becomes a soft, fuzzy, sweet incense which does not have any fiery or burnt smell to it as some incense scents do.  It is more of the smell you get from the drapes and cloth surfaces that absorb the odors of the incense after it has burned.  I have to get in very close as it becomes very close to the skin.  The sillage is pretty close to a few inches or no more than a foot.  If anyone makes the ole, "it smells like incense in here" comment then I will update the thread but I think this is a pretty personal scent at this point.  Thankfully most of the lemon aspect is gone--I enjoy lemon but not in huge quantities.  And, this does not smell like Pledge to me or cleaning products.  I am mainly getting the incense.  I think newer imps have more of an ozone aspect but that has aged out of this particular bottle.  I may have to dig up a fresher imp and layer because I like ozone and given the Lovecraft Story, I feel ozone is a very appropriate accord to include.  This one is definitely FB worthy and I like it on overcast or rainy meditative kind of days.

Woody, spicy, resinous incense in an open window near the sea as a storm blows in. It's not raining yet but you can smell the storm in the air. The resinous incense softens the sharpness of that storm tang of ozone, blending into something airy like the stillness before the storm. It definitely feels like night is falling, things are quiet, but there is anticipation in it.

I was uncertain how I'd feel about this one from reviews, but I've been having pretty good luck in the Picnic in Arkham scents, and this one sounded like a maybe. Overall, I quite like it. It's very evocative, and I am very fond of that watching a storm blow in mood.