Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

There’s Water Here

This place will rise again. The wisdom of eternity imparting a glimmer of hope through the grace of eternal renewal: the wild glory of nature bursting through cement, metal, and urban despair, purified by the waters of Lake St. Clair.

There's Water was a fun OLLA to try. It was water, metal, slightly masculine, and in general smelled clean.

It smelled like clean water, and it was more of a scent experience than a perfume.

"Lake St. Clair" in the description reminds me of the two teenage years I spent in Grosse Pointe, a snotty well-to-do Detroit suburb. We lived blocks from the lake. So this scent description makes me think of yacht clubs, country clubs, and kids who got BMW's on their 16th birthdays.

Fortunately, the scent itself is awesome.

I usually can't do aquatics, but this one has a rebellious bite to it that I love. Is it the embodiment of the resentment between the haves/have-nots? I also think I smell wildflowers, bringing to mind ancient history, and the fact that the plants and water lived here long before the rich kids, and hopefully long after. Untamed nature.

In Bottle: Unusual florals (dandelion with something else I think) and greens over an aquatic base. The metal and cement are understated. The “glory of nature” is very like my garden and gives the aquatic note a sharpness that I like. Wet: The green growing things really differentiate and pop on my skin. The floral becomes aquatic support. The hints of metal give it extra edge. The cement is very understated. Dry: Slightly sharp aquatic.

Wet this was a green aquatic with some very light floral business going on. Now I started to really like it when it dried down and got a bit of a sharp metal scent added. All in all not my favorite but very nice.

I had a chance to smell all the OLLA scents at Healthy Living and while there were quite a few I adored this one just really stuck with me so it was the one I chose to order (or more likely the first).

From the bottle: Grassy, green and aquatic with a hint of soft florals.

Wet: Honestly not that different from the bottle directly on my skin. Dried grass, mossy green notes, clean water and the softest hint of maybe linden?

Drydown: Clean, so wonderfully clean. Single notes harder to pick out but all are still present. All of the notes have melded together to create a soft slightly unisex scent. My favorites all seem to have a tendency to have their individual notes meld together and this one is no different.

I've warn it twice since my order arrived last week and it's already becoming a fast favorite.

Aquatic, slightly perfumey, very 'white', and clean smelling. Good aquatic, but I do have my faves that I like better.

Floral, herbal, aquatic. I do detect something like a cement note in the background.

This is a pretty scent but it's so not me. Too heavy on the aquatic for me to ever reach for it.

My Mom, on the other hand, loves aquatic scents so I gave my decant to her.

She loves it which is what I expected.

I'm not getting any greenery or floral, just a very sharp, soapy aquatic and a musky, metallic cologne scent that kind of reminds me of sharp white musk. I can't pull off musky or clean scents, so I'll pass on this one.

That sure is cement. This starts out very gray and very tough, but it melts into a softer, sweeter, greener scent in under ten minutes. There's a strong (expected) aquatic element, and a milder metallic note, plus some light florals. As it wears it starts developing some murky aspects, like pondweed or algae blooms, but it isn't a salty aquatic at all, it feels very fresh. It's not bad, however something in this is giving me a mild headache, so it isn't getting a full weartime. The throw, for as long as I lasted, was considerable, but I can't comment on true longevity because I had to wash it off after two hours. 

thanks to rivetted, i got to test a super full imp of this and i! AM! IN! LOVE! this is water, cool and clean and crystal fucking clear, welling up into a basin of concrete and elevated urban funk. i know! i know that sounds v. weird but this is incredible. i can so clearly smell the smog of the city, the grime of pavement being blasted by the sun, urban funk - the lingering impression of motor oil. and all of that over the most crystalline, perfect expression of pristine lake water and unobtrusive florals/greenery. on me it's very long wearing and it takes several hours for that fantastic urban funk note to burn off and leave just the crystalline expression of water and growing green plants. delicate yet funky/odd, yet supremely wearable.

initially, i wrote off the whole olla collection as being supremely not my thing. oooops, wrong again - love the shit out of this, total surprise, instantly got slapped onto my 2021 bottle purchase list.

I get water from this at first, along with some concrete, but eventually, it becomes resinous on me, and I keep thinking that that resin is oudh. It's not funky or anything, and I wonder if it's part of the cement accord?

I wish this had stayed as fresh water and concrete on me, as I enjoy concrete notes. Alas.