Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
windbourne

Off

Red, red roses, murky opoponax, drooping vetiver, and myrrh.

This is a somewhat gritty rose scent, dark and viscous on the skin, with slightly smoky vetiver and myrrh that settle into your nose and the back of your throat. The roses are big and deep and heavy and definitely red and slightly punchy; they come out more as the scent dries. It goes on a rather dark oil, though it doesn't stain, and on me the throw is fairly mild, but it lasts forever. I could still smell it very faintly the next morning.

In terms of imagery, it certainly suits the painting depicted on the label.

...ah, who am I kidding. OFF smells exactly like you'd expect it to. Pulling out my favorite descriptive phrase: this oil does what it says on the tin. Vetiver, resins, rose. If that sounds good to you, then you are ...well, not really set, because of the approximate rarity of this beast, but the good news is that there have been a quite a few scents in the same family and they seem to come out at regular intervals. You could achieve something pretty similar to OFF by layering any of the really strong, nearly single-note roses like Peacock Queen or Rose Red or even The Rose, though that one is lighter and damper, with something with strong vetiver and myrrh notes. The Sick Rose was, IIRC, a little like this, but less dense, as well, and Elizabeth of Bohemia was brighter with oudh instead of the darker notes, but has a similarly strong rose note.

I think it's pretty great, and one of my two favorites from the entire line, but that really says less than you would think, as most of the line I found more interesting than wearable.

Off to me was pretty straightforward. I had deep red roses with a resinous background, and a touch of something that smelled almost sour.

Agree with windbourne that this is very similar to the Sick Rose, but more intense and darker.

Rose. Rose, rose and more rose. I amp fore mentioned note like there is no tomorrow, so this pretty much just a strait forward sn rose on me. Strong as all get out too. When I first put it on I could smell a bit of a deep vetiver component, but it was quickly trampled by ROSE and that is all that remains.

Not my thing unfortunately.

Edited by Fetish911

Dark and aggressive. Murky and unpleasant. Getting the vetiver straight off, with resins. Not detecting any rose, which may have improved this blend. After a couple of hours, the rose comes out, but by then, everything is pretty faint anyways, thank goodness. It's the kind of scent that I think others may find offensive. It certainly is for me.

Wet: Wow, that is a dirty, dirty rose. Almost chemical smelling. The rose is there, but it's shadowed by...well, murk really is a good word for it. Not sure how I feel about this. I like that rose note in there, but the rest....

Dry: Unfortunately there is too much sour vetiver in this for me to enjoy it.