Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
puck_nc

When Stars are Weeping

Glittering starry musk dotted with crystalline vanilla, benzoin, violet leaf, Italian bergamot, white honeysuckle, water lettuce, and grief-touched crushed carrot seed.

Initial thoughts: The musk sounded promisingly light so as not to amp. I adore honeysuckle in any variety. Vanilla is good. The rest is something of a crapshoot.

In the vial: I can definitely smell the musk and, I believe, the bergamot. There’s something herby-citrusy going on. My precious honeysuckle is buried deep, if there at all. The impression is of a classic and sophisticated perfume.
Wet: That’s a lot of bergamot. My impression now is of leafy watery lemon. We’ll see if the usual amping of the musk brings out any of the sweeter notes.

Drydown: Yep, there’s the musk, right on cue. While the amp isn’t overpowering to the degree that a really dark musk would be on me, it is cutting off the bergamot at the knees. Now I’m getting some of the vanilla and perhaps the benzoin and the scent is a much warmer one than before. The honeysuckle is a supporting player at best, but the violet leaf isn’t behaving like skanky violet does on me and the carrot seen and lettuce are not being overly herby.

Verdict: Not a bad scent on me but not one I’m in love with.

Okay, out of ALL of the blends this is the one that I wanted the most to work, and yet was worried that it wouldn't based on multiple elements like violet and carrot seed.

This ends up as blue musk, carrot seed, violet, and citrus with swirls of vanilla. It's a beautiful, poignant, watery vanilla musk. And I LOVE IT. It's light, classic, sophisticated and I adore it to bits.

So much so that I already have multiples of it.

ETA: Finally put my finger on it. This has a Silence-esque vibe with the blue musk/contemplative type but with added watery bits (carrot seet, violet) and the vanilla undertone which makes it much more wearable. This should have jumped out at me from the get go but I was too distracted by the gorgeousness of the blend.

Edited by zankoku_zen

This is an absolutely beautiful classic 'light' musky blend. My skin eats it so much that I really have to smush my nose to my wrist to catch the drydown; otherwise I'd be desperately hoarding this one.

I. Love. This. Scent. I truly love it.

This is a fresh light green field covered in buds and tiny wild flowers. Almost lily of the valley-like in a wash of other blended, fresh notes.

It's so casual chic and still sophisticated, in a light, airy way. It's refreshing and calming as well.

This is spritzers in the Hamptons on a balmy day with a light breeze. This is afternoon gatherings with friends.
This is a luxe garden party with champagne and small bite petit fours.

It wears close to the skin. I wish it was a bigger throw....but that's exactly what sophistication is......Just enough scent to be there and whisper in the air as you sip a tall something in the grass at Tanglewood.

<3 I cannot love this more. <3

Kind of citrusy, but with a slight creaminess to it. Fresh and inviting and a touch musky. There is a faint smell of something foodie in the background, kind of like cookies. This quite nice, reminds me of the Tarot blend 'The Star' . Nice, but fades quickly on me.

Just reviewing this before I swap it away.

When Stars Are Weeping was the same musk from Glittering Apple from the Stars and a watery honeysuckle. Light and airy musk + honeysuckle. It reminds me of springtime and unfortunately, my mother. :( When I smell this my heart breaks into a million pieces and I want to cry. Honeysuckle also doesn't work very well on my skin.

This is gorgeous, just not my type of scent and the scent association is far too sad for me.

Wondering if this needs to age. I get the honeysuckle and what I am speculating is water lettuce and a hint of bergamot at the top. Heart notes are very nice, crystalline musk, watery florals and maybe the carrot seed, but it isn't effervescent like other blends with carrot seed. I am wondering if there may be amber, though or if this is just the type of musk that goes straight to powder because this is breaking my heart, as it dries to baby powder. I have yet to have amber do this, so I am wondering if it is the musk. All the other blue and crystal musk blends I have tried have been wonderful, nose to wrist, YES YES YES smells for me, so I blind purchased this one in the hopes it would be similar to Yvraine or other lovely blue musk smellies.

I am going to cellar this, in the hopes that aging will turn it into glory. I don't get any violet, leaf or otherwise, and only a hint of vanilla. Since my experience is quite different from other reviewers and no one else complained of powder, I am going to chalk this up to a decant that was not mixed well or just being too fresh and try again. I really wanted to love this. TThe wet phase is more my vibe, so maybe I will try a scent locket.

If aging improves the baby powder bit and turns this into the blue musk I adore, then I will report back.

Adding some joy to my days as I isolate with the rest of the world during this global pandemic by reviewing my oils.

this is day 4:

When stars are weeping (6 years aged) 

Very crystalline and bright. The violet leaf and the honeysuckle give this an ‘old fashioned’ perfume vibe. 

Hmmm now it’s gone to old fashioned soap... like the ones grandma had on display in the bathroom - not to use of course 🙃...

The watery elements are adding to the soapy vibe along with the citrusy bergamot. So far, not something I like.

I’m trying to be patient with this one... waiting for the musk and vanilla that is so needed here to take it out of ‘air freshener’ territory. 

Alas... by the time it softens it’s turned to powder...

Disappointed with this one as I love honeysuckle.

I’m sure it will make a nice spray though 🙃