Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
puck_nc

At The Mid Hour of Night

Velvety star-touched indigo musk with star jasmine, white patchouli, vanilla orchid, moonflower, night-blooming cereus, olibanum, and a drop of Ceylon cinnamon.

In the bottle: a lovely dark floral musk, a little sweet and a little cool, with a trace of spice.

Wet: Dark and smoky, enough to have me re-reading the note list for something related to tobacco.

Drydown: The musk emerges, as usual when it comes to my skin. The flowers are there, but muted at the moment, which makes me sad since star jasmine is a favorite of mine. I’m not getting a lot of the cinnamon - anyone who hesitated about this because of a sensitivity is probably okay as long as they’re not super-sensitive to it.

Later drydown: The musk has backed off, which is good. Indigo musk will not amp and mow down everything else in its path like red/brown/black. The florals are a bit stronger, but no one note of them is standing out. I’m getting that persistent impression of wood/smoke…perhaps it’s the olibanum. I’d forgotten that that was another name for frankincense, a note I usually avoid because of amping issues.

Verdict: I’ll try it again to be sure, but this isn’t the floral treasure I’d hoped for. May be passing it on.

On me, this was straight up jasmine and resin. It dries down to a more floral jasmine, and I get some of the musk come through.

But overall, this blend is dominated by jasmine for me. Which invariably makes mr. zee_zee turn around and glare at the cat pee smell of it.

• ITI: It's very perfume-y: strong indigo musk, jasmine, and cereus resonate with the patchouli and dark olibanum. I'm not getting any spiciness from the Ceylong cinnamon, which I think would make the scent more appealing as a whole.

Wet: Ah, there's the lovely spice that makes the generic "perfume" scent something more esoteric and inviting. It enhances and deepens the other reins while it keeps the florals from getting too dominant and turning the scent into a Glade reprieve.

Dry: After just over an hour, the scent has dried down to a pleasant, warm, and darkly maternal combination of musk, vanilla orchid cereus, super light jasmine (thankfully), with a dusting of patchouli, olibanum and Ceylon cinnamon.

Jasmine + patchouli, match made in heaven. Is indigo musk the same as black musk? I'm finding a similarity to Raven Moon (2012), as they share black musk and patchouli notes. Definitely makes me think of darkness, mysterious shapes in the night sky. There are hints of various other florals, but mainly jasmine. No cinnamon!

Smells like night-blooming flowers in the bottle, smells like old rubber and something vaguely smoky on my wrist.

On drydown it calms down to something much more pleasant- there's the night-blooming flowers again, along with something cool and vaguely aquatic- but the jasmine/old rubber sticks around in the background, and it does a lot to spoil the effect.

Edited by psychocygnet

Eeks, where is the Indigo musk, white patchouli and pretty much everything but the jasmine?? Sigh. Even though it's the night blooming variety, (the 'better' one of the two evils), it is rather heady and not at all what I expected it to be. This really smells like a perfume an elderly lady would wear, I sure hope the other notes come out, but for now it's a 'no'.

In the bottle: Sharp and almost unpleasant flowers.

Wet on my skin: Unnnnnnngh so pretty. The moment this touches my skin, it just blooms beautifully. Wet, it's indigo musk and jasmine, then olibanum and other white flowers.

Dry: I am SO glad I got ahold of this bottle, because it's absolutely gorgeous. It's a bit reminiscent of one of my other favourite scents, The Night-Raven, as it shares a couple of prominent notes with that one. That's why I bought it, actually. This is primarily indigo musk, white night-blooming flowers (they're all discernible if I concentrate on picking them out, even though they are also well-blended), then olibanum, and the hint of spicy cinnamon. The patchouli grounds everything, and the vanilla orchid gives it a very slightly creamy sort of texture. This is a bit less sweet and a bit more spicy/incensed on me than the Night-Raven, but definitely in the same scent family. Thankfully, jasmine usually behaves fairly well on my skin, and it's really a team player here rather than a top note once everything is dry. It's a deep blue scent with fuzzy blue-white wisps of clouds.

Why did I never review this?

Anyways, its aged lovely. Gorgeous creamy dark musk and smooth sweet jasmine with moonflower. I'm *quite* impressed. So much so that I dragged it back off my sales page.

It smells similar to a wiccan shop. Like when you first walk in the door and the sanctity & calm washes over you, due to the combination of beautiful sacred oils and incenses. Yup. That's precious to me, considering how life changing those sacred spaces were when I was a confused wee teen. Made me see there is very much about the world I didn't know, but wanted to!