Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
non_boingy

Scents for thesis defense?

Hey all! In a few weeks I will need to go before my readers to defend my undergrad thesis--it's essentially a mockup of a real thesis defense. So it's just a little nerve-wracking, haha. I was wondering if there are any scents that you feel are especially stimulating academically or that give an academic boost of confidence? Or convey academia in general? I feel like the obvious one would be Miskatonic University, but I'm just not a fan. The people who will be examining me are okay with scents (one of them regularly burns nag champa in her office, haha) so anything you can think of would be awesome! Thanks! :D

When I did my PhD thesis defense I did not wear a scent-- I did not want to chance bothering anyone on my committee who was sensitive to smells (even if you think they're ok, there's still a chance it will be distracting.. just my personally opinion). I instead went with a small application, above my heart, of the TAL Lionheart as I was very nervous and run down from preparing and wanted to focus on my courage.

Edited by MCS4096

I'd go for something with citrus personally, to keep you alert and clear-headed. My rec would be for Manhattan, as it is supposed to convey power and confidence, and has some lovely citrus tones. I wore it recently for a big presentation I had to give and it was great.

If you're not a fan of Manhattan or citrus, I'd just suggest you avoid anything overly sweet or foody in case you get an upset stomach before you have to perform.

I also used some TALs for my thesis defence. I used a combination of Lionheart and French Creole. Really I just suggest picking something that makes you feel confident and calming.

Really I just suggest picking something that makes you feel confident and calming.

Yes! ^

My go-to scent for interviews and bad days is Love, because it makes me think happy, fuzzy thoughts that helps to quell my anxiety.

I also like the citrus idea. I would find something that tends to be a crowd-pleasing scent, as opposed to something strong that would divide a crowd. Does that make sense? :huh?:

I also used some TALs for my thesis defence. I used a combination of Lionheart and French Creole. Really I just suggest picking something that makes you feel confident and calming.

I am in agreement with Beckie, pick something that makes you feel confident and calming.

BTW

I am wishing you the best for your big day.

I usually wear the RPG scent Cleric (with Good, or with Good and Elf) if I need to feel competent in an academic way, or at least that's what I would have done before I had TALs. These days I use Hand of Hermes.

I'd suggest TAL Lionheart or Fortitude or St. Albert's (the latter especially if you're in the natural sciences). I've been out of school awhile but have had good results with St. Albert's both for preparatory work and when presenting science/strategy to clients--a bit on both third eye and throat chakras, and optionally on an artifact related to the project. St. Albert's seems to work by inviting me to get so interested in the subject matter that self-consciousness or nervousness is displaced.

Of the "courage" TALs I mentioned, Fortitude in my experience is more bracing while Lionheart is more reassuring.

I have also worn GC Fighter for workplace situations requiring prowess.

Sign in to follow this