Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sistinas

Ahathoor

Hail unto Thee who art Ahathoor in Thy triumphing, even unto Thee who art Ahathoor in Thy beauty, who travellest over the heavens in thy bark at the Mid-course of the Sun.
Tahuti standeth in His splendour at the prow, and Ra-Hoor abideth at the helm.
Hail unto Thee from the Abodes of Morning!

i was pretty impressed by this one. it was a swap imp, and i'm afraid that i didn't look at the description when i agreed to swap for it.

it's total sunshine, sweet late spring early summer sunshine, where the sun is warm and bright, but not HOT, like it is in june. very yellowy-white, like the color of the sun at midday.

Wow. This oil is dry and hot and bright without being citrusy or spicy at all on me. Ahathoor is all dusty sage-y herbalness once it dries, evoking the desert at midday perfectly. It's far too cold and wet where I am to wear this right now, but I'm definitely saving the imp for summer.

Initial Sniff: Something citrus, sandalwood, and something almost astringent lurking just beneath the surface.

Wearing: Wet, this is like Tarot: the Sun except not as sweet. As it dries, the sandalwood takes over. I am almost certain it is white sandalwood, as it behaves just like the single note: it morphs from a dry wood smell to a sharp cedar to a slightly sweet, spicy wood. Good staying power.

Final Impressions: A very bright scent, and at a point (the sharp cedar stage) it is a blinding white scent. However, I already have the white sandalwood single note and this is almost identical.

Not being a midday sun or egypt-oriented person, I wasn't particularly drawn to this when first announced. But I swapped for it, and here goes.

First sniff: It really is bright and sunny - totally evokes midday sun - and surprise -I like it!

In the vial and wet - i get a combo that strikes me as lemon, cinnamon, frankincense, and something woody like sandalwood or cedar (perhaps both)

It stays pretty much the same while wearing initially but over about an hour or so it gradually mellows and blends so it's not as sharp and sweetens up a touch and becomes a more close-to-the-skin scent.

This just may be the "summer" scent I've been looking for - bright and light, but still with the woody, spicy type of background that I love. I think this would be great as a spray (must hunt down that thread......)

(ETA: I've since procured a bottle of this!)

Edited by wolfie13

Pepto Bismol!!! Something very slightly spicy and powdering and ambery in here too...this is nice, but I like Khephra MUCH better.

Ahathoor

In the imp: a herbal and resinous blend, piercing, zingy and bright. I can smell frankincense, and maybe juniper or some other woody smell, with herbs. There's something 'solar' about this.

Wet on skin: still frankincense, but I can smell something more herbal coming through, with a hint of citrus or floral, maybe ylangylang or carnation-yes, I think it's carnation!

Dry on skin: oh wow, this has changed completely! This is a lovely sweet-spicy-floral-herbal. I think it's carnation and herbs and a hint of frankincense, maybe a bit of cloves or amber too, even some heliotrope? It's very soft and warm, makes me think of lazing about in the hot summer sunshine.

30 mins later: the spices are getting stronger and so is the herbal/bright resin smell, I think there's maybe some sandalwood too. This stage in the scent really does smell hot and desert-like.

Verdict: this is a gorgeous exotic smell, sweet, spicy and warm. I love the carnation in this (brings back pleasant memories of Lush's Potion), and the herbs, spices and resins give it that effect of evoking a hot sunny day in Egypt. It's very soft and delicate on my skin. Another keeper, and another Egypt themed smell that I love!

Edited by yeahbutnobut

In Bottle: Pungent, a bit like some type of cleanser.

On Skin: Not sure what notes are in this scent. I’ll try and guess… Some type of pine or wood… also something sour. After a few minuets it sweetens up in an incense way… amber or clove maybe? It is very light and warm. Pretty but a bit too incensey for me.

The warn, sweet spicy carnation hit me as soon as I opened the imp . It positively glides on with a lugubrious tone that would be well suited to a benign old charmer with a roguish gleam in his eye (OK, OK it reminded me of a recent series of Casanova!)

The incenses emerge more after drydown,leaving a blend that is still rich but not quite as vibrant, more subtle but still intoxicating. Specks of dust lit up by shafts of light. It reminds me a little of Aureus with its warmth, comfort and scope, but a floor higher up, not hidden in the relative dark.

I love this and I wish it were mine. I'll have to get some.

Origin - imp received in a swap.

Wet - Hmm…the spiciness of Morocco but with a citrus base.

Dry - Pungent citrus, spices, and a touch of carnation. I think there is something herbal in here as well; maybe sage? Oooh, I just got some frankincense. This has a warm, sunshiny scent, with just a touch of exoticness.

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being best, this rates a 3.

It's creamy, there is definately some amber, and a really sunny floral - not too strong a floral. Carnation perhaps? I don't know how to explain it, but this seriously smells like a mid-day sun, in springtime perhaps, so it's not too hot, just warm and lovely. Very beautiful. I like it much better than Tum, which is the only Station of the Sun that I actually have at this point. It's warming, without being too much so. Very nice.

One of the stations of the sun that really worked for me, this started off warm and spicey, a touch of incense and warm burning resin. This cools down a little after a bit and I get something almost licorice like. Anise maybe? A touch of carnation? Whatever it is this is somehow spicey and cool at once and I adore the faint sweetness I get from this. It seems a little masculine for me to wear it but I'll be passing it on to one of my friends

Very appropriate. A warm yellow glow.

Bright. A bit spicy. Settles down as its worn. Citrus, sandalwood? Dry, warm. Later, more woods and cinnamon/spice. Much better off the kick. Ends with a hint of spice on the skin--is nearly gone within a few hours.

I almost liked this one. It was sweet and warm, but it had something underneath that that smelled like baby wipes to me, sort of a sticky green thing like fresh aloe. I guess that my skin did weird things to it, however, after reading the other reviews here.

In the bottle, I smell clean fresh cedar.

I absolutely love the wet smell of this. It's woodsy, ever-so-slightly spicy and bright ... it is somehow peaceful and sunny at the same time. Grounding and uplifting simultaneously.

On drydown there is just the slightest lemony tang to it but a sweet lemon, not a sour citrusy one ...

I have upgraded my initial ranking of this (4) to a 5.

UPDATED REVIEW FEBRUARY 2013:

From an OLD imp that was nearly empty ... as I am assiduously going through ALL of my BPAL and revisiting ...

IMP SNIFF: Reminding me why I love this and why I am kicking myself for not buying a 5 ML when I should have/could have ... has that ineffable "linen/medicine closet" smell that I've never been able to quite identify but which reminds me of my childhood, in a good way. I THINK it may be amber? In this mix, it is very light and golden and also somehow fresh ... (I wonder if that is the "Band-Aid" smell that some people refer to? I could definitely make that connection.)

Wet application: Very, very light gold ... has a slightly spicy scent, I want to say sharp but in a very very GOOD way. Maybe a touch of lavender to my nose?

Drydown: Subtle and lovely and couldn't stop sniffing myself. If the Lab were to ever bring this baby back I think I'd buy a few bottles. Clearly, it ages well since this imp has to be several years old.

UPSHOT: This time around I got NONE of the citrus that I sniffed first time. Not sure if it's aged out, my skin chemistry has changed, or I simply didn't have the "note vocabulary" or experience to ID notes correctly.

The good news, though, is I put out a DISO for this on the forum and a wonderful, wonderful, wonderful forumite promptly swapped me her bottle of it!

A definite 5.

Edited by JazzieCazzie

Bottle (Imp): Cinnamon?

Just On: Yes, I'd have to say there's cinnamon in here.

An hour or two later: This has dried down into a carnation amber scent.

Around 6 hours: It's almost totally gone.

12 hours: It's all gone now.

Overall: I really like this, but it fades faster than the other two stations. Again, I am impressed with it, so that makes three of the Stations I like a lot.

After reading other reviews: I didn't get any citrus of any kind out of this one. But it's pretty spot on for the midday sun in my mind.

My impression: It's creamy amber carnation & cloves. I agree with the previous reviewer that said it was "perfect blend of spicy and sweet". Totally reminds me of the early morning Sun, before it becomes too hot in the day...Bright, Yellow and White :P

in the vial: green? grassy? huh?

wet: still green, and leafy. w/ an undercurrant of something spicy

as it dries it is amber, spice, carnation w/ a hint of something astringent that i can not place. this is spicy yet summery. very intresting and a tad effrevecent

In the imp: woods and herbs.

Wet, on skin: Sweet cinnamon. Completely morphs almost instantly.

Drydown: OMG, I love this - woody, slightly sweet, oriental - very warm - definitely evokes a sense of the noon sun. Smells a lot like Opium, one of my top-5 non-BPAL fragrances, only warmer and less overpowering. The best part - I can still smell it the next morning. HG, I'm thinking.

This one is very difficult to review, because each time I smell it, it has already changed.

I get myrrh and a touch of lemon, but I can't pick any other nothe.

Another freebie from the Lab.

Wet this smells very light; I'm picking up citrus and herbal notes. It smells slightly resinous. Drying down, I smell benzoin. Still very light, but it starts to warm up and the herbs start to unfold. I'm picking up lemongrass and sage. This doesn't smell like incense, but I can still smell benzoin softly floating around in the background. I had my mother smell this and she commented that it smelled "spicy" to her. I wouldn't say spicy, it's more herbal to me.

Ahathoor is a light, but bright and warm scent. Plain and simple, this is sunshine in an imp.

First on, Ahathoor smells like an edible carnation dessert. Perhaps like a carnation smothered in lemon meringue and a dollop of whipped cream, only not that sickeningly sweet or heavy.

In the drydown the sweet vanilla and lemon candy smell lessens considerably and the blend takes on a drier herbal edge. I can definitely smell sage (a scent that I'm not fond of) and I think a bit of cedar wood.

Very dry and dusty at the end. It's a medium strength blend with decent throw. I don't think that this is very 'me' though. I can't imagine wearing Ahathoor as a perfume.

This is a very woodsy, dark, earthy type scent for me. It doesn't really remind me of the midday sun, but rather of a tranquil, quiet forest. It has a bit of an incense/resin feel to it as well. It's very still and peaceful. I think this might be really nice on a guy, but it's just not my kind of thing.

In bottle: It seems to be rather like a spiced lemon; maybe spiced bergamot. It reminds me a bit of herbal cough drops, too. Odd. Warm fragrance, definitely.

On me: The citrus note fades away, leaving a scent that seems like the sun beginning to warm up but not yet full-on blazing. It is a warm, comfortable scent - but not hot. It's very mellow spices, nothing too flashy at all.

Holy hell. My god, this is radient. This was a freebie imp and I think I have finally found my perfect Egyptiany scent.

This strikes me as similar to Salome but without the violent, distracting almond and also reminisenct of Bastet, except warmer and more substantial. I'm thinking Egyptian amber here. A light musk of some sort and... myrrh, maybe. This is warm, gentle, glowing and sublime. This is the sun on your face as it sets or rises, colouring everything gold. In other words, this is my favourite time of the day in liquid form.

*dies of bliss*

:P

*resurrects briefly* Oh, and I'm not getting any of that citrus others have found, by the way!

I really love this in the imp. It's bright and sweet and almost fizzy candy-esque.

A floral, sugary ylang ylang or light jasmine scent pops out when it's on my skin. As it warms, it reminds me of clove salt-water taffy, which is so curious (the scent, not the taffy - that's nummers!). It retains a warmth and sunny quality, though.

After sitting with it a while, I'm realizing that this is the first BPAL I've encountered that's actually making my skin itchy, unfortunately. It's trying to turn plastic-scented too. Sadness! It really is lovely, though, and worth a shot if you're into cheery-yet-enveloping comfort blends.