Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Rheliwen

Baba Yaga

Spell-soaked herbs and flowers, cold iron, broom twigs, bundles of moss and patchouli root, and moth dust.

This one is a morpher on me. Sometimes it's fruity, sometimes floral, sometimes musky and spicy. For the first twenty minutes or so that I wear it, it's usually nothing at all. This is interesting, and I'm glad I got to try it, but since it's different every time I put it on, I'm inclined to trade it for something a little more reliable.

This is mainly strong and darkly fruity on me. It doesn't develop, change, or last very long, but it's nice and golden for the time that it's around. It's not my favorite scent of all time, but I like it.

In reference to the version from Clearing Out the Cobwebs: Dark Delicacies Trunk Show, 2/8/09.

In the bottle this is a dark fruit. Sweet and smooth, a little creamy.

On my skin it morphs. Now it is musky. Still a tinge of fruit but way way shoved to the back. We were lured into her hut with the fruit candies and now we can make out scents wafting from out of the bottles and jars stacked everywhere. There is a teeny hint of dark floral in here as well. A small bit of spice with some herby medicinal parts poking out. Still sweet too, and almost a little green.

Fantastic scent.

Edited by TwilightEyes

Clearing Out the Cobwebs: Dark Delicacies Trunk Show, 2/8/09

In the imp: something fruity and cologne-y, a smell I usually only get when leather is a note

Wet: a floral and something herbal, like an aftershave

Dry: green and medicinal, but not a in-your-face kind of way

Sweet, bright fruit at first, almost candy-like... I thought of apples and pineapple, lots of canned pineapple syrup. After a minute on the skin lots of other notes come out to play. Flowers, accompanied by a twinge of something that is indeed "cologney" are the first to appear... lilies, I think, and other flowers in the same scent family. There are some herbs mixed in there too to give the vaguest medicinal twist, which is just about the only witchy, Baba Yaga-esque thing I can feel in this scent. When it's dry, I get mostly canned fruit syrup, mashed up with heady florals (the kind that aaalmost give me a headache), overlying some herbal/green notes and light musk. Strange but interesting!

Hrm. Baba Yaga. This is the Cobwebby proto. Thanks for letting me try this (you know who you are!) :D

This is indeed fruity and creamy on the drydown. On wet however, I smelled something like allspice... and something that made me think of gardenias, or perhaps it's magnolia. It's a very sweet blend on me. And I can see the pineapple bit, but I have to wonder if there isn't a touch of lotus lurking about as well.

In short, sweet, fruity, creamy white floral.

779369524_D4uMW-Ti.jpg

I've long loved the older version of Baba Yaga, collecting it imp by precious imp and decant, until I had a full 5ml rollerball bottle of my very own. When I saw a prototype on the Cobwebs list, it was the one thing I wanted above all others, so I was extremely happy and grateful to have a whole bottle all to myself of the prototype, thanks to a lovely forum member, butcherbaby, who attended the first Cobwebs event.

The woods in this blend are very subtle, and while some other reviewers found hints of a cologne-like note, it doesn’t manifest on my skin. Whew!

There are light florals, but the wood notes are the uppermost, and the slight earthy note lends an almost incense-like scent, which is another reason this is such a treasured rare for my collection. The throw is excellent, so that slathering is not necessary to keep this lovely scent wafting around me, and it lasts beyond my benchmark of 2 hours. Surprisingly enough, this blend morphs very little from what it smells like wet (or in its container) and when dried upon my skin. Usually I like blends much more after they've been on my skin a while, but this is wonderful from the very beginning. All in all, this is a rare well worth keeping...and wearing.

Edited by stellans

v7

Sniffed: Deep golden oil. Juicy, tart, citrusy fruit and something floral/green and a little fresh.

Wet: Some sort of orange-skinned citrus, maybe mandarin, and some bergamot too? I also get some orange blossom and neroli, the latter being a little sharp, the former a little soapy. A little powdery, and a hint of a rotten floral like iris.

Dry: Going to Pez, so maybe there was some actual orange in there. I do think there are multiple varieties of citrus. Definitely both orange blossom and neroli, though so far both are behaving pretty well on my skin.

Summary: Floral powder-soap after a few hours. :( Fades quickly and dramatically.

In the bottle: definately patchouli and cold things. Smells softly sweet a bit as well, I am guessing thats the herbs..

Wet on skin: forgive me for saying this but it smells like weed. The illegal kind. Like when I was little and used to go in my dads office and it would smell this way.

Drier on skin: now this is going back to the soft sweetness. This is very complex. I do like it very much though :) probably will be good in my locket too.

Edited by Duskinhereyes

To me the bottle smells somewhat cold and very herbal. As soon as it put it on it goes through a really weird, sort of clashing medicinal-resin smell, but once dry, this smells like hyssop. Pretty much smells like hyssop with dried patchouli and fruit. It's kind of a weird combination! I am all right with that, and I think I'll use my imp, but I don't think I'll need a bottle.

Edited by Katherynne

*This is the officially released version in the GC on 10/4/09*

The first thing that stood out to me is how pungent I found the scent to be. At first it was soapy, then it became 'dirty'; all moss and pachouli in the drydown. Blends with patchouli that work on me are usually paired with a sweet note, so sadly this one didn't fit the bill. The imagery it brings to mind is very much "Baba Yaga", so while it isn't a scent I could wear, there is no scent-FAIL here!

This is the final, GC/Marchen version:

In the bottle: flowers and a few dusty herbs

Wet this is still floral to me. I cannot pick it out, but it seems like lily or neroli or jade. There are hints of the dust, moss, and roots, but I seem to be amping the florals to their exclusion.

On drydown the floral notes turn a bit harsh and soapy. I can smell a hint of the patchouli and a bit of the iron, which I like quite a bit. As the iron note settles in, the flowers no longer seem harsh.

I'm not getting any fruity notes at all, sadly. The floral notes fade, giving a little room to earthy patchouli, moss, and herbs. The iron and dust are there in the background, and definitely make this stand out from other florals. I keep getting a tiny hint of a dry, smoke or firewood scent that could be, at least in my mind, the broom twigs.

Dry, the floral notes finally ease down and this is dry and a little musky, but also mossy and herbal, with the definite impression of iron and dust.

Difficult to summarise, and quite the journey. This reminds me of the progression of the way High Priest Not to Be Described behaves on my skin, but backwards.

Baba Yaga - This review is for the released version. It's completely different than the previously unreleased version. This is all herbs and dust, moss, and twigs. It probably smells great on the right person, but not on me, as I can't wear dusty scents at all. I wish I smelled more of the patchouli.

This is the older unreleased version.

Once applied, I get a burst of sweet bubblegummy florals. Maybe lotus? While it's still slopping wet, it starts to morph immediately! Something incensy or perhaps herbal comes to the surface. As others have noted, it's reminiscent of mens cologne, but not in a nasty way at all. It's very clean and handsome. After that initial change from bubblegum to mens cologne, it doesn't really morph anymore. Overall it's an herbal, slightly floral, a touch watery with a bubblegummy start, and a green ending. I like it a lot :D

This has a metallic tang to it when first applied that made me a little scared, but it quickly smoothed out. This was surprisingly more "perfumey" than I anticipated, but in a really nice way. (I normally don't go for the perfumey blends). It settles into a rich, smooth scent thanks to the moss and patchouli, with undertones of flowers. It feels like a warm scent on me. It's really quite lovely, and the husband commented favourably on it.

*I should note that this is probably a decant of the prototype, as it seems to be quite aged. It is labeled "Original, unreleased" so I have no idea how old this actually it. The oil seems to be a warm golden colour, and appears to be thicker than normal.

Dusty herbs, but the moss and patchouli really start coming forward as this dries. I'm not getting any florals here except for a slight soapiness.

Interesting blend but definitely not me.

Released Version.

Hmmm. Not sure about this one. It's less fruity than the proto, still a creamy white floral. I think there's more incense in this.

(Released version)

One of those classic BPAL "apothecary's cabinet" scents -- a strange sweetness over a mass of dusty herbs. Patchouli root is particularly evident, and gives the blend a slight similarity to Badger. And...yeah, there's a suggestion of weed in there too. Good weed, though, resinous and fragrant, not too skunky. :lol: A little iron and ash at the bottom keep it a little dark, which is good. The sweetness is odd, though -- cold, round, blue, high, almost an aquatic sweetness somehow, I can't quite place it but I know I've smelt it before. Gardenia perhaps, or some kind of lily, or...screwpine maybe? I am puzzled.

Good stuff though. I seem to be in the minority in liking this better than the weirdly pineappley prototype, but I definitely do.

:::BABA YAGA:::

http://allencentre.wikispaces.com/file/vie...3/BabaYaga2.jpg

When this was picked up for a sniff at Bat's Day 2010, it immediately fell into the, "MUST HAVE" category.

This smells unbelievably good!

Being previously unfamiliar with the Fairy Tale, several search engines were employed to peel back the layers of Baba Yaga's wonderful character, which has made this oil all the more endearing.

From the opened bottle: Insanely good... Something about Baba Yaga (the Cold Iron, maybe?) seems as though it would fit in rather well with the oils in the Phoenix Steamworks and Research Facility. Yummy in the way that only things from a parallel universe can be!

The most noticeable bits are the Patchouli root, the Sun Soaked Herbs, and the Cold Iron. When these mix together in Baba Yaga, the effect is COMPLETELY charismatic; total obliteration of reservations, cautions, and inhibitions.

Interestingly, there is also a suggestion of some kind of nastily barbed menace lying beneath the surface that demands respect and your total attention.

Skinfamy!: Now the Sun Soaked Flowers and Bundles of Moss really come out to play! The Moss is clean, sharp and lovely!

It almost smells like there is some Orange Peel in here somewhere too.

Baba Yaga is a bustling scent at this face; there is lots going on! Quite a buzz of excitement!

The flowers are a bit difficult to discern amid so many diversions, yet Neroli, Jasmine, and Tobacco Flower would be good a guess as any. There are a couple of unknowns in here too, that are equal parts fascinating and scary. The "Moth Dust" is absurdly appropriate!

After smelling this for a while, a scent that kept popping out was familiar in the sense of finding a nest of... Bugs. Anyone who has ever used mealworms for fishing, removed a wasp's nest, or discovered beetles in the firewood pile will be able to identify this, otherwise, it is terribly hard to describe... Yet the Lab has matched it perfectly.

The Broom Twigs work really well with the Patchouli Root, and DO give a sense of enchantment. Genius!

WOW pretty much sums up the kind of category that the fragrance of Baba Yaga fits into.

Baba Yaga will leave you feeling very much as though you are living in a Fairy Tale.

It will open your eyes up to the magic in the every-day.Baba Yaga is utterly fantastic!

On Him, Baba Yaga Smells wily, danger-prone, and mad-cap.

On Her, This is high-spirited, crafty, and sexy as all get out!

This maintains it's strength hours after it has been applied...

There simply aren't enough good things to say about Baba Yaga!

The leetle-dawg: trembles with the fear, plain in his eyes.

The Wife: Hospital Gift Store.

*ahem*

Baba Yaga is a truly great fragrance.

An effortless 5 out of 5!

Bottle: Oddly fruity and warm considering the listed notes. It seems closer to the Baba Yaga of yore to my nose than other posters seem to feel. Almost grape-y.

Wet: Still warm and fruity with a cold hit of metal shocking through it. Kind of off balance.

Dry: So, sometime during my BPAL travels I got an empty imp of Baba Yaga as a freebie in a package. It wasn't technically testable but I was going to test that sucker and I managed to get a few drops onto my skin. I find this version of Baba Yaga highly preferable because the imp I had was ungodly sweet and cloying and unfortunate on my skin. This is still fruity and warm but the metal note cools it down considerably while the moss and patchouli add a lovely dustiness that reminds me of Masabakes (tear). It's kind of like Urd if if Urd didn't make people ask if I was into weed and black light posters. Not headshoppy but definitely in that sort of range of scents.

Throw: Moderate.

Overall: Me likey. I actually didn't want to get this because I was so no enthused with the proto. I took the dive and I'm glad I did. This is a scent that will get a lot of wear from me.

Received this as one of the frimps with my first order, very exciting!

In the bottle: Myrrh, a cedar wood, spanish moss, very peaceful and slightly sparkling.

On the skin: Very sharp almost immediately, turned to a sharp and violent vinegar. Soooo disappointed!

Drydown: The vinegar disappeared, thankfully, but smelled very strongly of myrrh and the flashes of a forest floor with a very long throw. General consensus was that it was very pleasant, but that it smelled more that I had been "anointed" than "perfumed". It would be a lovely scent even for me (a man) to wear during rituals or as a special personal scent.

Overall: A gorgeous smell, but not suited to me as a wearing scent every day. I used the rest of the imp to make some scented wax that I placed into my oil burner. Absolutely exquisite!!!! I could see myself buying a bottle of it just to use for this.

I get no pineapple or bubblegum at all - this is lemony and green/herbal and very cooling/refreshing. It has excellent staying power on me - and my skin DEVOURS almost all scents, so This was a pleasant surprise. I would wear this on a scorching hot day. It has just a tiny touch of spice, like lemongrass or ginger. It would make a fantastic room spray, too. My partner likes it as well, and he isn't fond of perfumes in general. 4, maybe 4 1/2 out of 5 stars.

In bottle: This is rich and sharp, very floral and herbs. It almost smells like dragon’s blood, but the oil is the wrong colour and it’s not listed, so it can’t be.the patchouli is not dominant, but creates a heady effect with the iron. The moss is making the sharpness, I think. It’s quite interesting, but I think it may be a bit much for me. Wet: The moss and patchouli blend better with the twigs and the florals soften. It’s a lot better on my skin that I was expecting, though it’s now maybe too soft. Dry: This reminds me of popourri, mixed with patchouli and something sharper and brighter. It’s interesting, but not really right for me, I think.

It's a faint herbal scent. Sometimes it turns sweet and fruity, as if it's got a hint of citrus or lotus. Other times, there is a slightly spicy tone to it. It wears pretty close to the skin, and has decent staying power.

At first, this is a perfumey, musky mess consisting mostly of florals. As it dries, it is more of a spicy/herbal and less florally. There is the metallic tinge to it too, which must be the iron. Not bad, but not really me. It is certainly much better on dry down than wet, but I don't need more than the imp.