Jump to content
Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ella LaRose

If your top 5 scents are... Then try these!

Recommended Posts

Hi There!!

I have been out of the bpal loop for several years and now there are just so many scents! At the risk of feeling overwhelmed, I thought I try and get some dope recs here first!

My top 5 are:

 

1. Bastet

2. Dorian

3. TKO

4. Pink Snow Balls
5. Green Tree Viper

I like sweeter feminine scents. Or scents that are really comforting and relaxing. I am a student taking 18 credit hours, working full time and voice acting on two podcasts so I feel like any scent that is balancing or feels like a hug would make my day.

Thanks everyone!

Share this post


Link to post

Surena Marie, if you can find some Paper Phoenix, I think you'd love it! A memory of Antique Lace, Formula 54’s pink pepper, and a splash of Dorian’s white tea and lavender fougere.

Share this post


Link to post

I just wanted to say that Snow White has that same creaminess that Pink Snowballs has- you might dig on Go to Sleep, Darlings for a mint/creamy combo too.

Share this post


Link to post

Wow wow wow! An all in one scent? That sounds AMAZING! Thank you for the rec!

Surena Marie, if you can find some Paper Phoenix, I think you'd love it! A memory of Antique Lace, Formula 54’s pink pepper, and a splash of Dorian’s white tea and lavender fougere.


Fury, I have been meaning to try that for some time! Is it offered every Yule? :D

Share this post


Link to post

This thread has always been one of my favourites to spam! And even though I'm usually giving recs, I've only just returned from hiatus so now I have an excuse to resurrect it! 

 

1. Elf v4 

2. Black Lace

3. Ava

4. Amaterasu v3

5. Thomas Sharpe

 

I realise I already have an extensive list of matching /similar scents in my profile (both icon wall and accent profile in my signature xD) that I'm aware of, such as Antique lace Zorya polunochnaya, l'estate, bfja etc , so if you can avoid repeating those and recommend things that were released in the last year and a half, that'd be super! (anything similar to Thomas Sharpe regardless of year, would be killer too) 

Share this post


Link to post

My turn! ☺️

 

  • Tiki Queen 💕
  • Lolita
  • Butterflies, Flowers and Jewels Attending
  • Alice
  • White Rabbit

Share this post


Link to post

I'm still hoping I can think of suggestions for some of the lists upthread, but until then, here are my top 5 as of late in case anyone has any suggestions!

 

Xiuhtecuhtli

Kumiho

Reapers Gonna Reap

Zorya P

 

Actually, I can't think of a 5th at the moment....

Thanks for any recs you can think of!!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
22 hours ago, Beatrice33 said:

I'm still hoping I can think of suggestions for some of the lists upthread, but until then, here are my top 5 as of late in case anyone has any suggestions!

 

Xiuhtecuhtli

Kumiho

Reapers Gonna Reap

Zorya P

 

Actually, I can't think of a 5th at the moment....

Thanks for any recs you can think of!!!

 

Hi Beatrice33,

i love all of these. Here are my suggestions. 

1. Incantation

2. OLLA Hal

3. Antimony v9

4. Bones of Capys

5. Do The Dancing Maidens Sleep

6. Western Diamondback

 

Let me know if you have any questions. 

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/2/2019 at 7:30 PM, Bunny Butt said:

Hi Beatrice33,

i love all of these. Here are my suggestions. 

1. Incantation

2. OLLA Hal

3. Antimony v9

4. Bones of Capys

5. Do The Dancing Maidens Sleep

6. Western Diamondback

 

Let me know if you have any questions. 

Thank you so much for these suggestions, Bunny Butt! I haven't tried most of them, so I'm really excited! I can't wait to test them....

Share this post


Link to post

5 is a tight squeeze, but for now, would love recommendations for what I should buy (or hunt), if some of my favorite BPALs are:

  1. Buck Moon (original)
  2. OLLA Adam
  3. Black Lace
  4. Monster Bait: Underpants
  5. Dragon's Milk

Ok I cannot keep it to five.. have to also throw in Mrs. Palmer's Establishment Atmosphere Spray as my favorite atmo of all time. Love both Bulgarian and French Tobacco SNs.. okay, I should stop. Any and all recs would be so very appreciated! 

Share this post


Link to post
32 minutes ago, Seajewel said:

5 is a tight squeeze, but for now, would love recommendations for what I should buy (or hunt), if some of my favorite BPALs are:

  1. Buck Moon (original)
  2. OLLA Adam
  3. Black Lace
  4. Monster Bait: Underpants
  5. Dragon's Milk

Ok I cannot keep it to five.. have to also throw in Mrs. Palmer's Establishment Atmosphere Spray as my favorite atmo of all time. Love both Bulgarian and French Tobacco SNs.. okay, I should stop. Any and all recs would be so very appreciated! 

Dark Lace is similar to Black Lace and may be easier to find. Also, you should check out the current Shunga - A Vision of the Courtesan, if it looks at all interesting to you.  The tobacco is beautifully smooth in it, and I think the creaminess might appeal to your Dragon Milk and Lace loving tendencies. 

Share this post


Link to post
28 minutes ago, VetchVesper said:

Dark Lace is similar to Black Lace and may be easier to find. Also, you should check out the current Shunga - A Vision of the Courtesan, if it looks at all interesting to you.  The tobacco is beautifully smooth in it, and I think the creaminess might appeal to your Dragon Milk and Lace loving tendencies. 

 

Thank you! I’m intrigued by Dark Lace for sure! Black Lace is beautiful, but very low throw on me. 

 

Regarding A Vision of the Courtesan, you are spot on—I actually picked that up and did love it. There’s just something so magical about the BPALs that work. Buck Moon is so indescribable to me. Adam is so delicious. So on.. 

Share this post


Link to post

Hi! I'm not new to BPAL but I am relatively new to this forum. A friend of mine suggested that I wake this sleeping thread in order to get some recommendations from the community. My "top 5" isn't set in stone, but these are five that I consistently like a bunch.

 

1. Orc

2. Tezcatlipoca

3. How Doth the Little Crocodile

4. Yew Trees

5. Smoke and Lace

 

A couple of things to know about me: I'm a dude who tends to amp floral smells, so I mostly avoid them. Not because I mind smelling a little floral, but because if I'm wearing a scent that has a floral element, that's usually all that comes through. I'd prefer not to put myself in the situation (yet again) where I'm looking around for the attractive-smelling woman near me only to discover that I am the attractive-smelling woman. I don't require the manliest scents, though, and I like trying new stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, Smoochadore said:

I'd prefer not to put myself in the situation (yet again) where I'm looking around for the attractive-smelling woman near me only to discover that I am the attractive-smelling woman.“

 

I only came to say this made me LOL. 

Edited by Estamets

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, Smoochadore said:

Hi! I'm not new to BPAL but I am relatively new to this forum. A friend of mine suggested that I wake this sleeping thread in order to get some recommendations from the community. My "top 5" isn't set in stone, but these are five that I consistently like a bunch.

 

1. Orc

2. Tezcatlipoca 

3. How Doth the Little Crocodile

4. Yew Trees 

5. Smoke and Lace

 

Hi there! I haven't tried Yew Trees but from descriptions I wonder if Loup Garou might be in a similar vein. I also think Doc Constantine shares some similarities with a few scents you listed, as well as Antonio the Carny Talker- but the lavender may present an issue!

Share this post


Link to post

This is so hard!! I’ve picked from diverse families of scent, and GCs with the hope that more folks will be familiar with them:

Obatala

Brown Jenkin

Hecate

Tombstone

Queen

and much Snake Oil 

 

excited to hear recommendations!

 

ETA: okay LOOK. I tried to walk away without mentioning Small Brown Cat. BUT I CAN’T. So: Small Brown Cat. There. 
 

EATA: also Lights of Men’s Lives. Okay that’s it. The last one. 

Edited by Estamets

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/30/2021 at 10:31 AM, Estamets said:

This is so hard!! I’ve picked from diverse families of scent, and GCs with the hope that more folks will be familiar with them:

Obatala

Brown Jenkin

Hecate

Tombstone

Queen

and much Snake Oil 

 

excited to hear recommendations!

 

ETA: okay LOOK. I tried to walk away without mentioning Small Brown Cat. BUT I CAN’T. So: Small Brown Cat. There. 
 

EATA: also Lights of Men’s Lives. Okay that’s it. The last one. 

Lol.  I know how you feel.  Hard to only pick 5.  And especially since one of your extras is cat related - you are forgiven.  😸  The scents that jumped to my mind are:

GC - Goblin, Black Pearl, EdenBlack Phoenix (a lot of people seem to smell cherry, but I get almond, myrrh and roses), Jolly Roger, Mary Read, The Sea Foams Milk (if you're interested in aquatics), and How Doth the Little Crocodile (cuddly, slightly foody cedar)

Unimpable GC - The Organ Grinder, Kamau Kogo, and Death Adder (if you can handle vetiver)

LE (if you feel like hunting them down) -  Materialization (like a fancier Obatala to my nose. The honeysuckle's not super prominent.) and Ghost Faced Bat (snuggly, creamy and sweet) You might also try to get a sniff of "Leave Her, Johnny" from the Sailor Shanty Anniversaries.  I haven't smelled it, but seems like a lot of notes you fancy. 
Possibly Luperci? and Cheerful Oxen

 

I'm not real familiar with Queen, so I didn't give any recs to scratch that itch.  

 

@Smoochadore The only thing that popped into my head was The Spotted Cat - White ginger, green mandarin, ti leaf, cedarwood, chocolate mint, bergamot, and sweet vetiver. Not super masculine, but not really feminine either.  Cuddly, a little mossy, a little citrussy, and a bit like How Doth the Little Crocodile.  :smile: 
 

Share this post


Link to post

@Estamets definitely seconding the Ghost Faced Bat rec. Also you might want to try Shoggoth. I was worried that the coconut would be lost in the mix but I find it very coconut forward and a similar coconut to Obatala. It's more fresh and floral (to me it is coconut, lemongrass, and then everything else floating around that.) 

Share this post


Link to post

@roseus thank you!! Ghost faced Bat is in my DISOs 🤞🏻🤞🏻 I’m not brave enough to try Shoggoth; osmanthus turns to rotting flesh on me 😭

 

@VetchVesper thanks (again again!).
 

Little Crocodile wasn’t on my radar; I’ll definitely pick that up, esp since it sounds so much like my new cuddle buddy Velvet.

 

Death Adder is a 4/4 favorite, for sure 💚💚 

 

I liked Leave Her, Jonny but it was so similar to Anne Bonny (and I have two imps) that I didn’t feel the need to bottle. The winner in that collection for me was actually Hanging Johnny!

 

Added a bunch of your other recs to my wishlist, thanks ever so!

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/30/2021 at 7:45 AM, Smoochadore said:

Hi! I'm not new to BPAL but I am relatively new to this forum. A friend of mine suggested that I wake this sleeping thread in order to get some recommendations from the community. My "top 5" isn't set in stone, but these are five that I consistently like a bunch.

 

1. Orc

2. Tezcatlipoca

3. How Doth the Little Crocodile

4. Yew Trees

5. Smoke and Lace

 

A couple of things to know about me: I'm a dude who tends to amp floral smells, so I mostly avoid them. Not because I mind smelling a little floral, but because if I'm wearing a scent that has a floral element, that's usually all that comes through. I'd prefer not to put myself in the situation (yet again) where I'm looking around for the attractive-smelling woman near me only to discover that I am the attractive-smelling woman. I don't require the manliest scents, though, and I like trying new stuff.

I bought my fella Tezcatlipoca because it's such a great and sexy scent!

 

I wonder how you would feel about Mummies of México City? It's a Haute Macabre scent that is restocked periodically. It does have a bit of the Lace feel, but also incense-y with a sliver of gold.

Share this post


Link to post

Well, y'all just gave me some more scents to chase after, and I'm grateful.

 

@roseus Thanks for the suggestions! I know from past experience that Loup Garou is one of those scents that goes all Irish Spring on me, but Doc Constantine looks like it might be very much My Thing.

 

@VetchVesper Spotted Cat is definitely going on my list. I know I haven't encountered that one before.

 

@katharina Looks like Mummies of Mexico City could either be perfect or utterly wrong for me, and I'm looking forward to finding out.

Share this post


Link to post

Yay!  Glad to be of help!  Also, @Estamets, I have one more recs for you.  :P  It mind be hard to find a bottle (because it's so good) but Unicorn Junk is well worth a sniff if you aren't adverse to lilac. (Coconut foam, Siamese benzoin, Himalayan cedar, translucent petals, lilac milk, and mallow) Think Obatala with gorgeous lilac and marshmallowy sweetness, tempered slightly by the cedar.  🤤

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
41 minutes ago, VetchVesper said:

Yay!  Glad to be of help!  Also, @Estamets, I have one more recs for you.  :P  It mind be hard to find a bottle (because it's so good) but Unicorn Junk is well worth a sniff if you aren't adverse to lilac. (Coconut foam, Siamese benzoin, Himalayan cedar, translucent petals, lilac milk, and mallow) Think Obatala with gorgeous lilac and marshmallowy sweetness, tempered slightly by the cedar.  🤤

 

 

You know, I don’t actually get coconut from Obatala! And I don’t get vanilla from Tombstone 🤷🏼‍♀️ I love scents with those notes, but I often can’t actually detect it. Like, give me a vanilla smell any day and I’ll love it, but I’ll never guess there’s vanilla there. 
 

Adding Unicorn Junk to my ISO list! It sounds beautiful. 

Edited by Estamets

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, Estamets said:

You know, I don’t actually get coconut from Obatala! And I don’t get vanilla from Tombstone 🤷🏼‍♀️ I love scents with those notes, but I often can’t actually detect it. Like, give me a vanilla smell any day and I’ll love it, but I’ll never guess there’s vanilla there. 
 

Adding Unicorn Junk to my ISO list! It sounds beautiful. 

 

:thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
×