Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ella LaRose

If your top 5 scents are... Then try these!

5 hours ago, ComicCreep said:

I just started delving deeply into bpal, making spreadsheets and really going through the site directory after I had lost my scent for a while last year from Covid… I’m shocked how depressed I became because of it. Scent really does add a lot of joy to my life apparently! Luckily my sense of smell came back, but different. I’ve been re-training my nose ever sense. My current top five are

1. Thorns clove cigarette 
  2. Eat me
  3. Green tree viper 
  4. Goblin cider
  5. Sweets to the sweet

I love a sweet mint, autumnal spices, a good sugary foody scent, and also some smoky incense/amber/resin. Any suggestions would be lovely 😊 

You might like Resistance from the Activism line. Very autumnal, and benefits the ACLU.

"It is an autumn scent, swirled with fall leaves, huddled against the cold winds of November... Bourbon vanilla and vintage champaca absolute with sweet patchouli, dried red fruits, leather accord, pumpkin rind, and a splash of bourbon."

Also Jack from the General Catalog if you haven't tried it yet ("The scent of warm, glowing jack o’lanterns on a warm autumn night: true Halloween pumpkin, spiced with nutmeg, glowing peach and murky clove.") and hopefully someone can weigh in on recommendations from the current Halloween collection!

Edited by Exquise-moi

17 hours ago, ComicCreep said:

I just started delving deeply into bpal, making spreadsheets and really going through the site directory after I had lost my scent for a while last year from Covid… I’m shocked how depressed I became because of it. Scent really does add a lot of joy to my life apparently! Luckily my sense of smell came back, but different. I’ve been re-training my nose ever sense. My current top five are

1. Thorns clove cigarette 
  2. Eat me
  3. Green tree viper 
  4. Goblin cider
  5. Sweets to the sweet

I love a sweet mint, autumnal spices, a good sugary foody scent, and also some smoky incense/amber/resin. Any suggestions would be lovely 😊 

That's so interesting that loosing your sense of smell caused depression! It totally makes sense. I'm glad it is coming back for you. BPAL excels at scents with your favorite notes, so there are too many to choose from! Moroccan Pumpkin from the recent Weenie release comes to mind, and from the general catalogue -- oh so many -- Kobold Barista if you like coffee with your autumnal spices, Shub Niggurath (The lust incense of a corrupted Astarte. A blend of ritual herbs and dark resins, shot through with three gingers and aphrodisiacal spices.), and Cathedral (Venerable and solemn: the scent of incense smoke wafting through an ancient church. A true ecclesiatical blend of pure resins.) Although now there is Sugar Cookie Cathedral in the Yule release, which might tick all your boxes! For a clovey scent with apple, I recommend Queen Alice (Carnation, posies, and white amber with a hint of inky treacle, sandy cider, and wooly wine.) Have fun exploring!

@ComicCreep for minty recs you might want to give Alisz a try! It's a really gorgeous vanilla mint. Also Lick It will likely be back in the Yules!

@ComicCreep I second roseus's recs. Also, Nuclear Winter is a nice spearmint, Fuck This Heat is cool and herbal, and you might enjoy the Halloween hair gloss from last year - Stitched Together. 

I'd also recommend Pumpkin Spice Booze.  😁

On 11/24/2021 at 9:56 AM, roseus said:

@ComicCreep for minty recs you might want to give Alisz a try! It's a really gorgeous vanilla mint. Also Lick It will likely be back in the Yules!

You were spot on, I got to try Alisz and love it!

Reviving this thread! My top 5 are: Boomslang, Bastet, Bengal, Bien Loin D'ici, and Debauchery. All the B's and sometimes D's 😂I gravitate towards warm, musky, spicy scents with the occasional floral or gourmand thrown in. Thanks in advance!

My all time go-to that I think is the perfect scent: Snake Smut

Fave gourmand: Two Frames/Sugar Skull

For a hot Hong Kong day: Octopus and Abalone Diver

Sweet floral: Zorya P

Wish it were a daytime scent: TKO

So I like the sweeter side of things and lavender. Apparently ambergris too. Would love some ideas as I'm going to make a big order soon 💓

My top 5 right now:

Druid

Arcana

The Little Wooden Doll

Lyonesse

Like the Very Gods (I tried an imp of Defututa and it goes sunblocky on me.)

I feel like Druid and Arcana are similar, and then Little Wooden Doll and Lyonesse are similar. And then I impulse bought Like the Very Gods 'cause I'm gay but it ended up being my dark horse holy grail summer perfume. So I guess I like deep green woody, loamy and herbal scents, then dry soft ambers, and then... uh, smelling like a magnetically beautiful ancient-world lesbian?

12 hours ago, MadEye said:

So I like the sweeter side of things and lavender. Apparently ambergris too. Would love some ideas as I'm going to make a big order soon 💓

I'm still pretty new to BPAL, but I got Baby's First Political Campaign with my latest order and it's such a lovely sweet lavender! The lavender seems quite strong and stand-out to me, and it sits on top of the ambrette seed, honey, and orange. I feel like the orange is really soft and gentle, not a bracing citrus at all.

Edited by amokslime
adding quote

On 12/22/2021 at 6:15 PM, yasmaniandevil said:

Reviving this thread! My top 5 are: Boomslang, Bastet, Bengal, Bien Loin D'ici, and Debauchery. All the B's and sometimes D's 😂I gravitate towards warm, musky, spicy scents with the occasional floral or gourmand thrown in. Thanks in advance!

So, it seems like we have similar tastes.  I wonder if you've tried Velvet, Tezcatlipoca, Blood Kiss, Bard and Scheherazade.  Those would be GC's I'd recommend.  You might try Shub-Niggurath as well, since you like spice, if you don't mind something that smells a little foody.  The Candy Butcher is a dark chocolate and honey smell in Carnival Diabolique. Red Lantern is also a classic Luper that would probably be up your ally.  As might Smut and Bright Red Dildo.  You might enjoy Psychodynamic Discharge as well, but it is not for the feint of heart. 

On 12/30/2021 at 11:08 PM, MadEye said:

My all time go-to that I think is the perfect scent: Snake Smut

Fave gourmand: Two Frames/Sugar Skull

For a hot Hong Kong day: Octopus and Abalone Diver

Sweet floral: Zorya P

Wish it were a daytime scent: TKO

Cognac-Stained Sheet Ghost is much sweeter than I would have guessed from the notes and has been compared to Zorya P..  The Air and Ether from the Yules isn't sugary, but it's a beautiful, smooth amber and lavender.  And have you tried Lyonesse?  I's got a really nice mix of vanilla, ambergris, and grey amber.  It's one of the few GC aquatics I really love. Have you read reviews of the Sugar Cookie Yules?  Since you like vanilla and sugar, there might be some tasties in there for you.  :) 

On 12/31/2021 at 11:29 AM, amokslime said:

My top 5 right now:

Druid

Arcana

The Little Wooden Doll

Lyonesse

Like the Very Gods (I tried an imp of Defututa and it goes sunblocky on me.)

I feel like Druid and Arcana are similar, and then Little Wooden Doll and Lyonesse are similar. And then I impulse bought Like the Very Gods 'cause I'm gay but it ended up being my dark horse holy grail summer perfume. So I guess I like deep green woody, loamy and herbal scents, then dry soft ambers, and then... uh, smelling like a magnetically beautiful ancient-world lesbian?

Hmmm... what stands out to me in Arcana is the frankincense. I wonder if you might like Anthony. It leans a little masculine to my nose, but it's very nice, and I enjoy wearing some of the more "masculine" fragrances. Titus Andronicus might be another you'd enjoy (Since you wanted ancient world. You'll have to provide your own lesbian though. 😜 ) The Apothecary is a very lovely, mossy herbal.  Have you tried Zombie?  Not one of my favorites, but it's a popular earth and roses scent. Bruised Violet Compound is sort of an earthy, enchanted forest smell for me, and the red currants give it a berry scent which I also get from Druid.   Lyonesse is one of the few GC scents with grey amber in it, and it's noticeable in the fragrance, so you might keep an eye out for that.  The Grey Columns features the note and is lovely.  You might also enjoy Cognac-Stained Sheet Ghost.  I wonder if you'd like Odic Force if you enjoy lemon verbena.  It's got a fresh, citrus quality, but the white musk and amber make it sort of fuzzy.  Crystal Gazers also seems to share some notes with your preferred scents, but I have not smelled it. You might also like Auriga - either of them, though you'd have to keep an eye out on the sales and swaps forums.  

Edited by VetchVesper

On 1/3/2022 at 10:04 PM, VetchVesper said:

Hmmm... what stands out to me in Arcana is the frankincense. I wonder if you might like Anthony. It leans a little masculine to my nose, but it's very nice, and I enjoy wearing some of the more "masculine" fragrances. Titus Andronicus might be another you'd enjoy (Since you wanted ancient world. You'll have to provide your own lesbian though. 😜 ) The Apothecary is a very lovely, mossy herbal.  Have you tried Zombie?  Not one of my favorites, but it's a popular earth and roses scent. Bruised Violet Compound is sort of an earthy, enchanted forest smell for me, and the red currants give it a berry scent which I also get from Druid.   Lyonesse is one of the few GC scents with grey amber in it, and it's noticeable in the fragrance, so you might keep an eye out for that.  The Grey Columns features the note and is lovely.  You might also enjoy Cognac-Stained Sheet Ghost.  I wonder if you'd like Odic Force if you enjoy lemon verbena.  It's got a fresh, citrus quality, but the white musk and amber make it sort of fuzzy.  Crystal Gazers also seems to share some notes with your preferred scents, but I have not smelled it. You might also like Auriga - either of them, though you'd have to keep an eye out on the sales and swaps forums.  

I think you're right about frankincense, now that you mentioned it! I've tried a couple other imps that have it as an ingredient, and they always seemed to have a little extra something something I couldn't identify. Now I'm looking at the frankincense tag on the site with new eyes... 👀 Grey amber seems like another good guess. I love A Moonlit Winter Landscape, which also has grey amber!

Thanks for your suggestions! 😊 I've been especially curious about Antony and The Apothecary for a while. Might try imps of them next time.

@amokslime maybe keep an eye out for Sapphics: tonka, oakmoss, tolu balsam, grey amber, myrrh, and muguet. Fingers crossed it comes up in the Lupers this year! 

On 1/8/2022 at 10:27 AM, roseus said:

@amokslime maybe keep an eye out for Sapphics: tonka, oakmoss, tolu balsam, grey amber, myrrh, and muguet. Fingers crossed it comes up in the Lupers this year! 

Oooh, those notes sound perfect. I also love oakmoss, tonka, and muguet. I hope it makes a Lupercalia appearance! 😊

Oh this is fun. I wish I had some contributions to the thread above, but I don't think I have anything useful to offer.

My top 5: 1.) Night; 2. Bien Loin D'Ici; 3.) Eve; 4.) Streets of Detroit; 5.) In Night When Colors All to Black Are Cast or Dee. I love them dearly, but I do not need more sweet, musky perfumes - I am looking for some "dry" options. Overall, I have learned that I enjoy BPAL's more complex perfumes. Though this list may tell you otherwise, I do like florals, particularly violet and rose.

Thanks in advance!

On 1/4/2022 at 12:04 PM, VetchVesper said:

Cognac-Stained Sheet Ghost is much sweeter than I would have guessed from the notes and has been compared to Zorya P..  The Air and Ether from the Yules isn't sugary, but it's a beautiful, smooth amber and lavender.  And have you tried Lyonesse?  I's got a really nice mix of vanilla, ambergris, and grey amber.  It's one of the few GC aquatics I really love. Have you read reviews of the Sugar Cookie Yules?  Since you like vanilla and sugar, there might be some tasties in there for you.  :) 

Order has been placed! Thank you so much for your recommendations. I just went for them all!

On 1/12/2022 at 9:45 PM, wordortwo said:

Oh this is fun. I wish I had some contributions to the thread above, but I don't think I have anything useful to offer.

My top 5: 1.) Night; 2. Bien Loin D'Ici; 3.) Eve; 4.) Streets of Detroit; 5.) In Night When Colors All to Black Are Cast or Dee. I love them dearly, but I do not need more sweet, musky perfumes - I am looking for some "dry" options. Overall, I have learned that I enjoy BPAL's more complex perfumes. Though this list may tell you otherwise, I do like florals, particularly violet and rose.

Thanks in advance!

I'm seeing a lot deep, dark sort of scents so Elizabeth of Bohemia (the perfect rose oude) might be up your alley if you can do oud. Have you tried Mme. Moriarty or Behind the Veils? Both have a dark, inky, musky thing going on. Mme. Moriarty is fruity where Behind the Veils is more incensy. I wouldn't call either particularly sweet, but Behind the Veils is less so. The Magician I think would be in the same realm as Dee, Burmese rosewood, olibanum, benzoin, turmeric, currant leaf, and oude. Old Scratch might be of interest as well: a lavender fougere with tonka, amber, rosewood and a whiff of diabolical patchouli. 

Edited by roseus

On 1/12/2022 at 1:45 PM, wordortwo said:

Thanks in advance!

I love violet and rose too, as well as complex, dry blends. Some suggestions: Philoppanyx (current Lilith available on the site) Sweet ink-black musk and sugared violets with lavender, deep purple tea roses, champaca absolute, red benzoin, 13-year aged patchouli, and myrrh. To me it's not that sweet. Fuck You, Said the Raven (from the American Gods series) Glossy black, rough, and gravelly: violet-gilded opoponax, black patchouli, myrrh, and oak leaf. From the GC, Morocco The intoxicating perfume of heady incenses wafting on warm desert breezes. Arabian spices wind through a blend of warm musk, carnation, red sandalwood and cassia. Can't get much drier than that!

On 1/12/2022 at 3:45 PM, wordortwo said:

Thanks in advance!

My most recent “dry” love is Pyramid of Skulls (A blend of four sandalwood oils stained by tobacco absolute.)! Real good. 

9 hours ago, artisjok said:

My most recent “dry” love is Pyramid of Skulls (A blend of four sandalwood oils stained by tobacco absolute.)! Real good.  

I've had my eye on this one... It has gotten such good reviews. I love sandalwood. And, you know, Cézanne. For me, I worry it is too simple to justify a bottle.

Edited by wordortwo

@wordortwo I think it looks like great one! Lots of dark inkiness and doesn't sound too sweet, violet is one that can go funky on me personally but have found it works in blends that have very little sweetness - particularly interested in the reviews saying it has an asphalt-like note as I absolutely loved that aspect in Waiting

On 1/12/2022 at 3:45 PM, wordortwo said:

Thanks in advance!

My new favorite bpal that feels dry is Little Wooden Doll! It's described on the site as "rose-infused amber and soft golden sandalwood." In my experience, the rose is definitely there, but it blends in really seamlessly with the rest of the notes so it feels like one of those dried rosebuds you'd use in tea. While there's only three notes listed, everything blends together so well and it feels really soft and cohesive. So hopefully, it will fall into the more complex category.

my top five are

Blueberry Sufganiyot

Strawberry Sufganiyot

High Pitched Shriek

Stekkjarstaur

Capax Infiniti 

i really love marshmallow, vanilla, blueberry, strawberry - i’m tryyyying to be more open to things that aren’t just strictly foodie too 😆

@wordortwo Have you tried Marie?  It's a perfumy refined blend of rose and violet in the GC's, and it's very nice. You might also like Harlot, which is rose with cinnamon, and Hope and Faith our lovely because you can wear them separately or together; they are sugared Violet and sugared Rose respectively. I'll second Little Wooden Doll as a dry rose.

You might also like earth and dirt notes: they often smell dry to me, as do Ceylon cinnamon, sandalwood, and certain ambers.  (The Lion is a nice one.) Penny Dreadful, Zombie, and Destroying Angel are all dry "dirty" scents but very different.

I'd also suggest Satyr if you're ok with more masculine blends and looking for something smexy, and Danse of Death. 😁

@kaileycatface You're name's super cute! Strawberry Moon, Pink Moon, Two Frames and Rope Pulley come to mind. GC's Dana O'Shee, Dragon's Milk, Hollywood Babylon.

If you like rose, Blood Rose, Hope, and Two Five and Seven are sweet and youthful.

Have you tried anything with red currents?  Eat Me might be right up you alley. You might also like white chocolate and lotus.

Twinkle Twinkle Little Bat is way off your listed notes, but it's a sweet, fruity, cute scent. Titania, Fae, Mouse's Long Sad Tale, and Dormouse are florals that are sweet and feminine if you wanted to dip your toe into something different, and Poems in a Corset is decidedly feminine and hard to dislike. Watch out for Poor Monkey in the Yules. 

Edited by VetchVesper

6 hours ago, amokslime said:

My new favorite bpal that feels dry is Little Wooden Doll! It's described on the site as "rose-infused amber and soft golden sandalwood." In my experience, the rose is definitely there, but it blends in really seamlessly with the rest of the notes so it feels like one of those dried rosebuds you'd use in tea. While there's only three notes listed, everything blends together so well and it feels really soft and cohesive. So hopefully, it will fall into the more complex category.

Oooh I forgot about The Little Wooden doll! Why don’t I have a full bottle of it? I love it! And I agree with your review @amokslime

I love oriental style perfume. In the old days it was Opium, Shalimar, Youth Dew, Obsession… and these are my top 5 BPALs along those lines. I would love more suggestions, especially from the GC or that are currently available on the web site. 
1. Haunted

2. Morocco

3. Sybaris

4. Nasty Woman

5. OG Snake Oil

Also love Smut, Jacobs Ladder and most of the OLLA scents I’ve tried. Thanks in advance!

Edited by hhelix

5 hours ago, hhelix said:

In the old days it was Opium,

When I tested Ava from the OLLA collection, it shot me right back to c. 1993 and my aunt's basement apartment in Brooklyn. I texted her and asked what perfume she wore at that time: Opium. So, that's my endorsement for you trying Ava. But it looks like you may have already 🙂

@VetchVesper You know, I have been considering Marie and Zombi both in my last order. I ended up buying an imp of Burial, lol. These are awesome recommendations, thank you. Edit: I am always looking for masculine blends - got to try Dance of Death.

@amokslime I have such mixed feelings about Little Wooden Doll. At first, I got the same impression you did. But it has started rubbing me the wrong way. If you have had your imp/bottle for a long time, have you noticed any changes due to age?

Edited by wordortwo