Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ella LaRose

If your top 5 scents are... Then try these!

Oooh, this sounds fun! (And I am always looking for new scents to love!)

My top 5 (at the moment, anyway...I love so many it's tough to narrow down), in no particular order:

Dorian

Antique Lace

Recalcitrant Dragon

De Vos' Unicorn

Zorya P

....there are at least another 4-5 that barely got edged out of this list XD

If you might get into the addition of a light, airy exotic musk to a soft vanilla tea, try Ashlultum:

Babylonian musk, vanilla tea, tonka, tobacco, coconut, hyssop, and lilac.

I liked it when I first wore it, but it grew on me into a love and repeat wear. Last time, I got a stranger's compliment on it.

Returning to BPAL after a bit of a break and so ready to investigate new scents!

Top 5 right now:

Eclipse

The Mouse's Long & Sad Tale

Alice

Queen of Hearts

Prague

Edited by VictorianLass

Returning to BPAL after a bit of a break and so ready to investigate new scents!

Top 5 right now:

Eclipse

Alice

Queen of Hearts

Prague

I find O and Stekkjarstaur to be similar to Mouse's Long and Sad...all three have a "good enough to eat" quality without really being gourmands (though perhaps Stekk could be classified as such...)

I'm going through a BPAL renaissance - all i want is my old favorites. Help me find new loves?

1. Shub-Niggurath

2. Blood Kiss

3. Sin

4. Vixen

5. Schwarzer Mond

Fury, have you tried -
Behind the Veils? Heady red musk, myrrh and honey, drops of cinnamon and crushed cardamom pod, the taste of opium-laced black wine, sweet oudh, and threads of saffron.

Now Winters Nights Enlarge? vanilla-infused red musk, champaca, petitgrain, ylang ylang, patchouli, nutmeg, honey, galbanum, and traces of caramel.

Or Tombeur? vanilla-infused sandalwood, blood musk, antique patchouli, vetiver, lavender, bitter almond, amber, and a trickle of Snake Oil.

I'd recommend those b/c they are loves of mine and we seem to have similar tastes. Sort of spicey/incense smells that have a foodie tinge but don't cross into gourmand territory. Since you love Shub, you might also check out the 2016 Gingerbread yules. They were all pretty great.

P.S. Oooo... try Goblin too, if you like coconut and haven't yet. Also, Voodoo might be up your ally if you are okay with pine. Both those are GC.

Edited by VetchVesper

My favourites chop and change a lot, but currently I keep reaching for these

Mysterious Warning

Skuld

Mad Kate

Kali

Haloes

Top 5 right now:

Eclipse

Alice

Queen of Hearts

Prague

I find O and Stekkjarstaur to be similar to Mouse's Long and Sad...all three have a "good enough to eat" quality without really being gourmands (though perhaps Stekk could be classified as such...)

Thank you! I will look into these two! Do they still make Antique Lace or has it been discontinued? I love that scent so much, but mine is empty and I could not find it online in their listings.

Thank you! I will look into these two! Do they still make Antique Lace or has it been discontinued? I love that scent so much, but mine is empty and I could not find it online in their listings.

Short answer, no. But long answer is that they made a limited edition batch (two batches, really) some time in the middle of May 2017. So you'll see newer Antique Lace floating around for its retail price (they were almost double the price of the GC range).

Early reviews claimed that they smelt identical, but have since changed stance. I personally find the new AL to smell a little different than the original (it has a stekkjarstaur-like, fluffy, sugared white-mallow vanilla note)- and I still remember what the original smelt like when I had a fresh imp of it. Zorya Polunochnaya's vanillic note reminded me more of the original Antique Lace, though! If you like both Mouse's Long and Sad Tale and Antique Lace, you would most probably like it too ;D

It apears that you really like florals, and particularly creamy/slightly vanillic ones? and lily? haha.I see from Mouse's LST you also like sweet pea. And from Alice, that hint of carnation?

Serving Fish

You'd be hard pressed to get fishier than this: gilded sweet pea, pink musk, and vanilla sugar.

Desdemona

Innocent, soft and pure: sweet pea, carnation and water lily.

Juliet

Sweet pea with stargazer lily, calla lily, heliotrope, honeysuckle, white musk and a touch of fresh pear

Victoria

Graceful vanilla musk, tea rose, and stargazer lily

A Thousand Thoughts and Hopes and Joys

And cares long, long, forgotten: joyful sugared carnation and vanilla freesia.

I also peaked a look at your favourite notes and they mention vanilla and cherry:

Monster Bait: Bloody Mary

Chunky, glistening red fruits with sweet cream accord, black clotted cherry, and powdered sugar!

Cherry Sugary Cookie

[no additional description]

Texare

This scent is inspired by the colors of the yarns she chose that day: raspberry pink, cherry red, sky blue, and lime green, all swirled with frankincense, black oudh, mallow root, and sweet wooly vanilla husk.

Fury, have you tried -

Behind the Veils? Heady red musk, myrrh and honey, drops of cinnamon and crushed cardamom pod, the taste of opium-laced black wine, sweet oudh, and threads of saffron.

Now Winters Nights Enlarge? vanilla-infused red musk, champaca, petitgrain, ylang ylang, patchouli, nutmeg, honey, galbanum, and traces of caramel.

Or Tombeur? vanilla-infused sandalwood, blood musk, antique patchouli, vetiver, lavender, bitter almond, amber, and a trickle of Snake Oil.

I'd recommend those b/c they are loves of mine and we seem to have similar tastes. Sort of spicey/incense smells that have a foodie tinge but don't cross into gourmand territory. Since you love Shub, you might also check out the 2016 Gingerbread yules. They were all pretty great.

P.S. Oooo... try Goblin too, if you like coconut and haven't yet. Also, Voodoo might be up your ally if you are okay with pine. Both those are GC.

You are a dream ❤ thank you!

Haven't been active in ages, but even when I was I couldn't even really find 10 I liked out of possibly hundreds tested. Returning to some of my faves and I love them even more with age, so any help finding new loves is much appreciated!

Top 5:

The Girl

The First of the Three Spirits

Boo 2010

Door

TKO

In no particular order, here's some ones I've been reaching for a lot lately...

Dead Leaves, Violet Candy, and Sugar Crystals
Graveyard Dirt SN
Spellbound
The Cracked Bell
Reapers Gonna Reap

Graveyard Dirt SN

Spellbound

The Cracked Bell

Reapers Gonna Reap

Based on the first 2 because thats all Im really familiar with:

White chocolate & sugared violets (luper) - a beautiful sweet violet that has lots of staying power

Nocturne (gc) - sweet violet & lavender

The Lovers (gaiman) - same dirt note in graveyard dirt but with a sweet floral hint

Deep in earth (gc) - a little more sour dirt note

In time of plague (le) - dirt with some of the leafy muskyness & tobacco

Edited by TorchedEarth

I'm pretty new here, but my top five so far are:

1. Antikythera Mechanism

2. Yorick

3. O

4. Kumiho

5. The Old Goblin

Im familiar with all but the last one.

Graveyard dirt - yummy rich dirt

The Lovers (gaiman) - same dirt note in graveyard dirt but with a sweet floral hint

In time of plague (le) - dirt with some of the leafy muskyness & tobacco

Bakeneko (le) - a personal favorite - sensual and warm with spices & vanilla

Psychodynamic discharge (Yule) - warm spicy elements mixed with a little more of a black scent

Bonus- Arcana Guy Fawkes is a really nice, rich, smokey tobacco scent.

Edited by TorchedEarth

Haven't been active in ages, but even when I was I couldn't even really find 10 I liked out of possibly hundreds tested. Returning to some of my faves and I love them even more with age, so any help finding new loves is much appreciated!

Top 5:

The Girl

The First of the Three Spirits

Boo 2010

Door

TKO

As I tend to shy away from “white” scents our paths don’t cross too much, but I do have a few suggestions.

I think Dirty has the same linen note as boo without the sugar.

Nocturne is like tko to me but just with violet added. (I’m not sure if you like violet, but Nocturne is lovely.

The Snow Globe (Coraline) was a white sweetish scent to me. If I remember correctly the sweet disappeared on me & turned into what I can only describe as an ethereal glass scent.

I’m going to give this a go again, because I’ve been out of the loop for a bit & the last time someone suggested my now favorite bottle.

1. Bakeneko

2. Psychodynamic Discharge

3. The Lovers (gaiman)

4. Black Bar

5. Le Serpent qui Danse

I really love deep scents that aren’t too sharp from the purple, black, red, & green families.

Graveyard Dirt SN

Spellbound

The Cracked Bell

Reapers Gonna Reap

Out of these, I'm only familiar with Graveyard Dirt, but it's one of my favorites too, and if you like that, you might try The Potter's Field.The Potter's Field has that dirt note in it, but it moves more into the background. Potter's Field has a more herbal, almost slightly medicinal scent to it. I really like it, though to be honest, still not as much as Graveyard Dirt.

My top five favorites, mostly in order are:

1. Graveyard Dirt

2. Perversion

3. Lear

4. Mary Read

5. Urd

Lots has changed in a short time. new list!

1. TKO massage oil (sweeter than perfume oil to me)

2. Stekkjarstaur

3. Moon reflected in every rice paddy

Bit of a gap here because I adore the top 3 yet only enjoy the rest.

4. Antique Lace

5. Devos Unicorn

Edited by Nilbog

Lots has changed in a short time. new list!

1. TKO massage oil (sweeter than perfume oil to me)

2. Stekkjarstaur

3. Moon reflected in every rice paddy

Bit of a gap here because I adore the top 3 yet only enjoy the rest.

4. Antique Lace

5. Devos Unicorn

I like to pair Moon Reflected HG with last year's Luper Maiko with Hair Unbound perfume:

Goats milk, coconut, rice milk, honey carnation, and sugar.

I miss my TKO MO, too.

I'm going to try this again:

1. Pognophobia (mellow patchouli/honey/leather)

2. Queen of Clubs (dirt, vanilla, amber, currant, pomegranate, rose)

3. Insupportable Misery (tea, saffron, lilac, lavender)

4. Summer Lace (wisps of vanilla cream, caramelized tobacco absolute, white opium poppy, summer honeysuckle nectar, effervescent white mandarin, apple blossom, and green cognac)

5. Smut (musks, sweet boozy notes)

Anyone have suggestions?

I'm going to try this again:

1. Pognophobia (mellow patchouli/honey/leather)

2. Queen of Clubs (dirt, vanilla, amber, currant, pomegranate, rose)

3. Insupportable Misery (tea, saffron, lilac, lavender)

4. Summer Lace (wisps of vanilla cream, caramelized tobacco absolute, white opium poppy, summer honeysuckle nectar, effervescent white mandarin, apple blossom, and green cognac)

5. Smut (musks, sweet boozy notes)

Anyone have suggestions?

I think you'd enjoy Hellhound on my Trail if you managed to track down some. Also, Siren from the GC collection.

Oh, whoa, this looks interesting. My list:

1. Impressions of the Floating World

2. The Antikythera Mechanism

3. Streets of Detroit

4. Jareth

5. Père Noël

Thanks, Merun. I haven't tried Hellhound. Is the brimstone note noticeable? I've never liked the burnt smells. Siren sounds like a great suggestion - thanks!

It's been a while since I smelled it, but I don't think so. IIRC what was most prominent about it was the booziness and the bourbon vanilla, and the other notes in the blend kind of darkened and intensified it. Didn't get much if any smoke, at least on my skin. It's always kind of reminded me of Smut, not really in smell but in character.

Oh, while I'm here. These are my top five, in no particular order:

Dorian (A Victorian fougere with three pale musks and dark, sugared vanilla tea.)

No. 93 Engine (Balm of Gilead, benzoin, frankincense, balsam of peru, beeswax, saffron, galbanum, calamus, hyssop, mastic, lemon balm, and white sage.)

Aphrogenes (Orris root, iris, white honey, white sandalwood, coconut, and cherry blossom.)

Hemlock Honey (exactly what it says on the tin)

Fledgling Raptor Moon (clove, toasted sandalwood, aged patchouli, bourbon vanilla, carnation, massoia bark, hinoki wood, and West Indian Bay.)