Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ella LaRose

If your top 5 scents are... Then try these!

Ok here I go again:

1) The Girl

2) Parsifal

3) Pediophobia

4) The Waltz

5) Morocco

Thanks!

definitely try Lady Death: Savage for a general catalog scent that's in the same immediate family as The Girl. for LEs, try Ava and Festival Orgy.

for Pediophobia general catalog, Mouse's Long and Sad Tale and High-Strung Daisies. for LEs, De Vos' Unicorn.

i haven't tried The Waltz since it first came out, so i don't recall it perfectly, but i remember it being most similar to the limited edition Nymphes de Pave.

well i haven't tried the new Zorya PolyTL;DR from American Gods yet, i bet you'll love it.

some other random GC scents (as well as some that are not GC, but are currently available) you might like based on your overall list: Vasilissa, Lyonesse, Roses Pearls and Diamonds, Belle Epoque, Le Serpent Qui Danse, Australian Copperhead, Mr. Ibis, Tombeur, Beauty the Aggrieved, Defututa, Iole, Kubla Khan, Lullaby, Velvet

MY top 5 are-

Playing With Dangerous Toys v2

NGAGL5

Plastic Pink Flamingo

Velvet Unicorn

Wiley Grasser

MY top 5 are-

Playing With Dangerous Toys v2

NGAGL5

Plastic Pink Flamingo

Velvet Unicorn

Wiley Grasser

I can't help with the protos, having tried neither, and since they don't have listed notes.

Since you like Velvet Unicorn and Pink Flamingo, have you tried Alternative Facts? Sugar-crusted vanilla, a firecracker-blast of cherry and sour lemon, a hint of scuttling spiders, encroaching fog, and trumpets of bombast, bluff, and bluster. It's mostly cherry and vanilla sugar on me, with hints of lemon. Yum!

Maybe you'd like Uncle Brian? Raspberry sherbet dotted with orangesicle, merlot gelato, pink cotton candy, and iced lime.

or Jiggery Pokery pink pepper cotton candy with a sliver of orange peel and a hint of vanilla cream.

Mouse Circus may also be up your alley: A toodle oodle of pink cotton candy noses, vanilla spun sugar fur, scattered kernels of popcorn, and a touch of polished golden wood.

Or Battle Fairy in Training This Battle Fairy smells like blue cotton candy, strawberries, a plop of vanilla icing and a bit of crushed peppermint candy.

My top 5:

1> Pele

2> Pirate Moon

3> Panther Moon

4> Kiyohime Changes From A Serpent

5> Tiki Queen

1. since you like Pele, maybe Machu Picchu? Sweet tropical fruits burst through deep, wet rainforest boughs, enormous steamy blossoms, over thin mountaintop breezes, mingled with the soft, rich golden scent of Peruvian amber.

2. No idea, hopefully someone else can help - Pirate Moon was super weird on me.

3. Raven Moon is in the same vein, to me. shining, moonlit ebony musk with benzoin, myrrh, smoky vanilla, patchouli, nutmeg, and dried red chili.(2009) Or maybe Schwarzer Mond? opoponax, Tunisian black amber, night musk, antique patchouli, zdravetz, terebinth, myrrh, and Pimenta racemosa.

4. Not a lot of help, aquatics are terrible on me, but many love Thalassa, the Galapagos Mermaid Seaweed, kelp, salty ocean spray, bitter almond, night-blooming jasmine, frankincense, and benzoin.

5. Tiki Queen is a fave of mine too. I haven't found anything similar, but scents with the same tropical feel that are easier to find would be Elegba coconut, tobacco and sweet, sugared rum.

Lamia Pale orchid, vanilla amber, black currant, white peach, champaca, coconut, Arabian myrrh, Burmese vetiver, and oude.

Eden fig leaf, fig fruit, honeyed almond milk, toasted coconut and sandalwood.

I'm looking for a last bottle to add to an order, so I'll give any recommendation I get from this a try!

In no particular order, my top 5 are:

- Anesthesia

- Flickering Lantern / The Light of Men's Lives (cheating a bit, but they smell almost identical on me)

- Bones of Capys

- Zombi

- Liz

If you like Anesthesia, I would recommend TKO or Envy. TKO is very popular and has lavender notes with sort of a vanilla sugar cookie vibe. I only use it as a sleep blend (it works!) but a lot of people really like it for normal use. Envy is also a very nice, calming, herbal lavender.

You seem to like beeswax and florals. What about The Witch Queen from Stardust? Wild plum, red musk, tuberose, calla lily, heliotrope, pimento, ylang ylang and beeswax beneath a dark haze of sinister purple-hued incense smoke.

For Zombi, I actually really love In Deep Earth, which is rose geranium and earthy notes. To my nose, Zombi is a more perfumey rose, while IDE smells more like a rose garden trampled down by a heavy storm. You might also like Penny Dreadful, which is a woman's perfume over earthy/soil notes. Good luck!

P.S. You might consider Rakshasa. Notes listed are rose, sandalwood, and patchouli (which is not very strong). I swear it smells like it's got some orange in there too though. If you are a sandalwood fan, you might give it a go.

Edited by VetchVesper

I'm looking for a last bottle to add to an order, so I'll give any recommendation I get from this a try!

In no particular order, my top 5 are:

- Anesthesia

- Flickering Lantern / The Light of Men's Lives (cheating a bit, but they smell almost identical on me)

- Bones of Capys

- Zombi

- Liz

Penny Dreadful reminds me of a combination between Zombi and Liz, so maybe that would be a good one for you to try?

Thank you both! I've bought an imp of Penny Dreadful, and I've blind bottled Rakshasa and Witch Queen because they sound so lovely.

Top Four (I'm so new I don't even have 5!)

1. TKO

2. Antique Lace

3. Samhain

4. Gobo (could do with less cream I love sharp orange)

Currently trying to find/waiting for: stekkjarstaur and a moment in time. I adore lavender so much I got into BPAL because bronner's lavender soap never stuck around after a shower.

I think I'm ready to play! Hopefully someone has good recs and thank you in advance!
My top 5, really hard to pick just 5. I'll pick the ones I most want similar alternatives to.

1. Bathsheba

2. Gun Moll (sexy date night scent?)

3. Dragon's Hide (maybe a feminine version - the female equivalent to this?)

4. Shoggoth

5. Ogygia

thank you guys!!!

1. TKO

2. Antique Lace

3. Samhain

Currently trying to find/waiting for: stekkjarstaur and a moment in time. I adore lavender so much I got into BPAL because bronner's lavender soap never stuck around after a shower.

If you love Samhain, try to take a look at Punkie Night for sure. Since you like Gobo but like sharp orange, maybe take a look at Schrodinger's Cat. It's a plethora of fruity notes but on my skin it can change from either heavy orange or a mix of orange and lemon (but tart juicy lemon)

I think I'm ready to play! Hopefully someone has good recs and thank you in advance!

My top 5, really hard to pick just 5. I'll pick the ones I most want similar alternatives to.

1. Bathsheba

4. Shoggoth

5. Ogygia

thank you guys!!!

Check out Horreur Sympathique since you love Bathsheba :)

For the more female version of Dragon's Hide, hmmmmm maybe The Black Rider or The White Rider. I love both, personally.

For Ogygia I think you may enjoy Yemaya.

1. TKO

2. Antique Lace

3. Samhain

Seconding Schrodinger's Cat. It is truly unique and cheerful - orange, lavender and incense with just a touch of chocolate mint. I'll also add Kubla Khan for an orange/mandarin recommendation. Just tried it today, and it's a definite bottle purchase for me.

1. TKO

2. Antique Lace

3. Samhain

Orange and patchouli are both death notes on me, so I can't help you with 3. and 4., but if you liked Antique Lace, you should run, not walk, to check out Zorya Polunochnaya from the American Gods collection. It's a light, ethereal, slightly perfume-y/non-foody vanilla scent, and reviewer after reviewer have compared it to Antique Lace.

Lavender tends to figure prominently in the fall Lilith update, which should be going up some time next month (three of my all-time BPAL lavender faves, Capax Infiniti, Good Morning London, and Lilith's Hair Gloss, came from previous years' Liliths). In the meantime, Baku (from the GC Somnium collection) is a sharp, herbal lavender/eucalyptus, Paris (GC Wanderlust) is lavender with sweet/fruity lotus and clove, and Wulric the Wolfman (from the Carnival Diabolique) is a cuddly/snuggly lavender/leather/cocoa. Ganymede, an LE from last year's Moons of Jupiter lunacies, is a metallic lavender with hints of ozone/ice that's very sharp and unisex.

1. TKO

2. Antique Lace

3. Samhain

I love lavender too, and my favourites are Anesthesia (lavender & peppermint) and Mummeries & Other Straining to be Remembered Passages (Lavender, Blackberry, Bergamot & Rosemary). For me Anesthesia is the ultimate lavender sleep scent, and it's the most typical/French lavender bpal scent I've tried.

If you like Gobo you could also try Bones of Capys (king mandarin, tobacco, sandalwood & chamomile). It has some creaminess to it but on my skin it's definitely a 'grown up', quite unisex orange scent.

1. Bathsheba

4. Shoggoth

5. Ogygia

thank you guys!!!

Check out Horreur Sympathique since you love Bathsheba :)

For the more female version of Dragon's Hide, hmmmmm maybe The Black Rider or The White Rider. I love both, personally.

For Ogygia I think you may enjoy Yemaya.

Thank you for the recommendations! I always thought that The Black Rider and White Rider were single note scents, but now I see that's not the case. I'll try them!

I've been out of the game too long and most of my favorites are oldies or GC, so, I'm looking to get more current.

I adore:

Hanami (wisteria AND cherry blossoms!!!)

The Illustrated Woman (I've found out through this and The Dead Hour of Night that I love pine)

Shub-Niggurath (spices and resins are always love)

Smut (red musk is one of my all time favorite notes, and I love the labs sugar note)

Wanda (just a perfect wine scent)

My death notes are amber (usually goes powdery), clove (gets doughy), and ozone/aquatics (give me head aches).

I like sweet smells, but can't do buttery-foody. I also adore the labs leather, tobacco, opium, and paper notes....

Any ideas?

Edited by LunasMuse

LunasMuse - I haven't smelled Hanami, but last year's Art of Winter series had Night Snow at Kambara - Cascading frozen cherry blossoms, iced lily, and wisteria.

It's very pretty, but a little too floral for my tastes, which is why I have a partial up for swaps! <------- shameless self promotion. :smilenod:

You might also try The Grindhouse if you haven't already. It's lovely sweet florals laced with red musk, though... ok, I see you hate clove. Drat.

Behind the Veils? Heady red musk, myrrh and honey, drops of cinnamon and crushed cardamom pod, the taste of opium-laced black wine, sweet oudh, and threads of saffron

LunasMuse - I haven't smelled Hanami, but last year's Art of Winter series had Night Snow at Kambara - Cascading frozen cherry blossoms, iced lily, and wisteria.

That does sound lovely.

Behind the Veils? Heady red musk, myrrh and honey, drops of cinnamon and crushed cardamom pod, the taste of opium-laced black wine, sweet oudh, and threads of saffron

I got decants of both The Grindhouse (the clove does not behave....) and Behind the Veils, which I adore. Red musk heaven!

LunasMuse:

For Illustrated Woman, try the current Lilith, Do All the Good You Can:

Madagascar vanilla and sweet patchouli with Yule pine, white fig, and almond blossom.

LunasMuse:

For Illustrated Woman, try the current Lilith, Do All the Good You Can:

Madagascar vanilla and sweet patchouli with Yule pine, white fig, and almond blossom.

Added to the infinite want list. Thank you!

Oooh, this sounds fun! (And I am always looking for new scents to love!)

My top 5 (at the moment, anyway...I love so many it's tough to narrow down), in no particular order:

Dorian

Antique Lace

Recalcitrant Dragon

De Vos' Unicorn

Zorya P

....there are at least another 4-5 that barely got edged out of this list XD

Oooh, this sounds fun! (And I am always looking for new scents to love!)

My top 5 (at the moment, anyway...I love so many it's tough to narrow down), in no particular order:

Dorian

Antique Lace

Recalcitrant Dragon

De Vos' Unicorn

Zorya P

....there are at least another 4-5 that barely got edged out of this list XD

If you love vanilla and tea (and don't amp woods too much) I would recommend jumping in a decant circle and getting A Hailstorm of Knitting-Needles if you haven't already done so.

If you can do sweet jasmine I would suggest Allegory of Chastity, another fluffy pink floral unicorn.

For light ethereal florals I would recommend Moon Rose, but it is hard to get a hold of.