Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ella LaRose

If your top 5 scents are... Then try these!

Hi vetchvesper <3 most excellent! I do have witch riding dragon in the archives.... I will gosh her out and girl her a whirl. I tried antikythera again today... Thanks to encouragement from Celestia. I wrote up a review because I finally realized why it is it DOES. Not work for me, as much as I see it as a total stellar blend.

I must keep eyes peeled for depart pod LE sabbat. As well, I have a decant of the prosperous flowers. Very excited. I love a well integrated floral. Neither to floral nor too pungent

Hard to please lol

Cheers ladies xx

Hi vetchvesper <3 most excellent! I do have witch riding dragon in the archives.... I will gosh her out and girl her a whirl. I tried antikythera again today... Thanks to encouragement from Celestia. I wrote up a review because I finally realized why it is it DOES. Not work for me, as much as I see it as a total stellar blend.

I must keep eyes peeled for depart pod LE sabbat. As well, I have a decant of the prosperous flowers. Very excited. I love a well integrated floral. Neither to floral nor too pungent

Hard to please lol

Cheers ladies xx

I know I've posted here before, but my top 5 has changed quite a bit, so:

1. Mars Ultor

2. Perversion

3. Outlaw

4. Cockaigne

5. Wild Men of Jezirat al Tennyn

Most likely suspect would be Antikythera Mechanism, but I've tried it and it's not for me.

1. Mars Ultor

2. Perversion

3. Outlaw

4. Cockaigne

Most likely suspect would be Antikythera Mechanism, but I've tried it and it's not for me.

You've probably already tried Tombstone, but just in case you haven't... (Outlaw reminded me a lot of Tombstone with extra rootbeer)

Ella, this is such a fun one!!!

For sure patchouli, other than banshee, my loves are so below and feed me fill me with pleasure for the depth. More so below. Just suck a complete scent, tho more androgynous. I feel like I should love owl moon.... tbh I'm ok w it at moment. Dying to test nasty woman

If you love morroco and the gondola, , I love the warm inedith. Tho I read most musk and white patch w my chemistry. Haloes is beautiful and still in stock. That is gomden like gondola.

I share your loves and there is nothing current like them. I tried lyoness, but she got a spike of sharpness which I do t love as I do with my beloved ambers. I've tried other spice, nothing like morocco. Just get more and age. Red lantern is chili sauce on me.

Instead of eastern or exotiic spices, I've found my love with infernal lover light or no musk and Edith.

1. Mars Ultor

2. Perversion

3. Outlaw

4. Cockaigne

You've probably already tried Tombstone, but just in case you haven't... (Outlaw reminded me a lot of Tombstone with extra rootbeer)

You know what... I actually haven't, that aI can recall. Thanks! That sounds like one worth checking out.

Okay, this sounds like fun! And since I plan on ordering once this year (yules - international shipping is :wacko2:), I'm willing to throw in something to try out. My top 5 in random order:

Blood Amber

Dragon's Milk

Banshee Beat

Czernobok

Nosferatu

Any ideas? :)

Okay, this sounds like fun! And since I plan on ordering once this year (yules - international shipping is :wacko2:), I'm willing to throw in something to try out. My top 5 in random order:

Blood Amber

Dragon's Milk

Banshee Beat

Czernobok

Nosferatu

Oooh, this is a tough one, if trying to keep recs GC. Hmmm

1. Have you tried Bastet Luxuriant amber, warm Egyptian musk, fierce saffron and soft myrrh, almond, cardamom and golden lotus

2. How about Blood Kiss they always had a similar feel to me - Lush, creamy vanilla and the honey of the sweetest kiss smeared with the vital throb of husky clove, swollen red cherries, but darkened with the vampiric sensuality of vetiver, soporific poppy and blood red wine, and a skin-light pulse of feral musk

3. That's hardest. The Love Swing hair gloss from the Post is worth tracking down (or Revenant Rhythm, of course) but if we're going GC from the Lab, maybe Goblin some find them similar - Black coconut, gnarly patchouli, and sweet benzoin.

4. Haunted! My favourite GC dark musk scent. Soft golden amber darkened with a touch of murky black musk

5. Maybe give Penny Dreadful a try - Soft perfume evocative of noir heroines over rich red grave loam.

Happy sniffing!

Blood Amber

Dragon's Milk

Banshee Beat

Czernobok

Nosferatu

For Banshee Beat have you tried Yucca Giant Skipper? I've read that they have a similar vibe.

Among my favorites are (in no particular order--can't favor any among my babies):

Smokestack

Oblivion*

Dorian

Strangler Fig

Morocco

Al Azif

I know that's more than five, but I couldn't chose between Morocco (lovely sweet) and Al Azif (banana pudding, oddly comforting).

My death notes are apricot and peach scents, though jasmine and honeysuckle will likely drive me away also. My skin tends to amp evergreen notes (vetiver et al.).

I'd love to get everyone's advice. Please, feed my obsession!

*Edit: I mildly dislike Oblivion's top notes and heart notes, but whatever's in the base note is to die for.

Edited by TheresaRedSkull

Among my favorites are (in no particular order--can't favor any among my babies):

Smokestack

Oblivion

Dorian

Strangler Fig

Morocco

Al Azif

I know that's more than five, but I couldn't chose between Morocco (lovely sweet) and Al Azif (banana pudding, oddly comforting).

My death notes are apricot and peach scents, though jasmine and honeysuckle will likely drive me away also. My skin tends to amp evergreen notes (vetiver et al.).

For Dorian have you tested out the current LE from the Post The Serpentine? Also Lilith Hairgloss, if you go that route. :D

Not to mention A Stroll through the Quarter (from BPTP) Incense smoke drifting out from the basilica mingling with oleander, just-flamed bananas foster, and a splash of Dorian.

Smokestack

Oblivion

Dorian

Strangler Fig

Morocco

Al Azif

If you like Smokestack, you may want to look for Dark Chocolate, Blackened Tobacco, and Vetiver from this year's Lupers. It smells similar to Smokestack to my nose (only with more tobacco and slightly less smoky) and I love it. A Grievous Swarm, another LE, is another delicious, smoky vetiver scent.

Agnes Nutter, which is GC but unimpable and described as "bonfire smoke and rusty nails" is another great smoky scent, but it doesn't have Smokestack's sweet quality.

I've never worn either, but a lot of people describe Jareth, from the Labyrinth line (another that's GC but unimpable) as being very similar to Dorian.

And if Al-Azif smells really banana-y on you, you might want to check out The Twelfth from this year's Lupers (still up on the site), which is basically straight-up banana pudding.

Darker blends like Smokestack and Oblivion:

Iago - Malevolent, dark and shadowy: sinuous black musk, wet leather and vetiver.

Kroenen - Shining black leather, gleaming metal, labdanum, and myrrh.

Haunted - Soft golden amber darkened with a touch of murky black musk.

Morocco and Al-Azif (Note these don't necessarily have the same scent profiles, but give me a similar "vibe" with the creamy or resinous feel.)

Tombstone - A rugged, warm blend of vanilla, balsam and sassafras layered over Virginia cedar.

Black Pearl - Coconut, Florentine iris, hazelnut and opalescent white musk.

Kubla Khan - Serpentine opium smoke and amber tobacco, golden sandalwood, champaca, tea leaf, sugared lily, ginger, rich hay absolute, leather, dark vanilla, mandarin, peru balsam, and Moroccan jasmine. (The jasmine is not heavy in this.)

Velvet - Gentle sandalwood warmed by cocoa vanilla and a veil of deep myrrh.

Dorian

The Serpentine - Dorian, Liliths lavender, snowdrops, and soft vanilla.

Kumiho - A sharp, biting blend of crisp white tea and ginger.

Eldritch Dunken Constellations (LE) - Eucalyptus sap, white tea leaf, and ambergris foam.

Iulia, L'Artiste du Diable - White tea, sugar cane, orange blossom, rockrose, lemon balm, white mint, and honey.

Strangler Fig

The Grave-Pig - ​Fig, oakmoss, mushroom caps, and patchouli. (This is a really pretty scent despite its name. :P)

Intrigue - Black palm, with cocoa, fig and shadowy wooded notes.

Nephilim - Holy frankincense and hyssop in union with earthy fig, defiled by black patchouli and vetiver, with a chaotic infusion of lavender, cardamom, tamarind, rosemary, oakmoss and cypress.

Edited by Balame

It's hard to narrow down to five, and I might change my mind tomorrow, but these are definitely at the top:

Eat Me

Snakes in the Pumpkin Patch

Meus Amor Aeturnus

The Witches

Maybe Edith Cushing

Right now I'm loving warm scents. In the spring I might have Elf, Les Bijoux, or Loligoth at the top.

Any recs would be greatly appreciated :)

Soniahgreen - You might check out this Weenie's "Lavender Pumpkin Floss" from the Trading Post. It struck me as very similar to both Eat Me and The Witches.

Hey TheresaRedSkull! Have you had a chance to smell Crimson Peak's Shadows & Reflections or The Velvets? Al Azif and Oblivion both have this weird sort of " dark, sweet non smell" to them. I don't know how to describe it exactly. S&R and The Velvets both strike me as having that quality.

I'm currently trying to broaden my bpal horizons, so I'd love some suggestions! :bunnyluv:

Current top 5 are:

Stekkjastaur

Lucille Sharpe

Alan McMichael

Light's of Men's Lives

The Last Unicorn (love me some lettuce notes)

Soniahgreen - You might check out this Weenie's "Lavender Pumpkin Floss" from the Trading Post. It struck me as very similar to both Eat Me and The Witches.

Thank you! This has been on my list to try for a while. Will definitely have to check it out soon!

Edited by soniahgreen

I'm currently trying to broaden my bpal horizons, so I'd love some suggestions! :bunnyluv:

Current top 5 are:

Stekkjastaur

Lucille Sharpe

Alan McMichael

Light's of Men's Lives

You have a broad top 5. It would be so easy to suggest from past bottles...

Currently available retail direct or lab, might be fun to check out

Haloes retail

Bloodmilk Lorraine cross

Dorian GC

Htf

You'll love the warmth of l'estate and hesiods Phoenix

The yummy vanilla of the girl or Celeste

For a great floral, younger, butterflies and jewels and flowers attending

For something so cozy as stekk, I quite like NYCc mrs valentine... that's still floating around

Fairy market smells nothing like TLU but you'll like it

Current top 5 are:

Stekkjastaur

Lucille Sharpe

Alan McMichael

Light's of Men's Lives

I'm going to try to keep my recs to things you can get without too much difficulty :) But feel free to let me know if you want some hard to find recs too!

If you like Stekk (and it looks like you also may like florals) try De Vos Unicorn - soft floral with a dry down of a very sugary marshmallowy creamy note.

Lucille Sharpe - Nothing quite like her, but I think A Shadow In The Elevator has that same super dark plum note, and sinister feel, you might like that.

Alan McMichael - Have you tried the Antikythera Mechanism? Or Tombstone? They both have that sweet woody vibe to them. Or if it's the rum in it you love, give Elegba a shot!

Light of Men's Lives - I think you might like Engine No. 93. Or maybe O, if you haven't tried it yet?

The Last Unicorn - hmmm, I barely remember that one, wasn't my thing. But if it's the lettuce you love, Rapunzel from the GC has it! Might be worth a shot.

Happy sniffing!

Current top 5 are:

Stekkjastaur

Lucille Sharpe

Alan McMichael

Light's of Men's Lives

I feel that Stekkjastaur has a great musky marshmallow note. Pip has a very similar musky marshmallow note, but also has a sugary floral and sweet amber note you may or ma not want to gamble with. (Blue satin swaths of iris and indigo flower, billows of white mallow root and smoked sugar, embroidered with antiqued amber.) If you are keen to try more marshmallow-centric scents, Marshmallow Poof (Marshmallow Poof -- A gooey mound of white fluffiness! And yes, it is vegan!) and the single note, Stale Sugar-Crusted Marshmallow Chick both come to mind.

For Lady Lucile Sharpe, I've suggested the prototype, Clytemnestra v3 in the past for the similar dark floral and plum vibes they both share in common, in reviews. You may also like Miss Addie, although they are very evidently different scents, she is a dark floral and fruit with blackcurrant.

Dr. Alan McMichael was a wonderful light brown scent- a sweet spicy rum and woodsy musk. You might like Jolly Roger which also carries some similar notes: Sea spray with an undercurrent of leather, Bay Rum, and salty, dry woods.

I think there was a lot of speculation and comparison between This Wan White Humming Hive and The Light of Men's Lives as they are both musky.smoky.creamy beeswax scents.

Lettuce notes in BPAL are quite interesting. Rapunzel is also a floral scent which also has Wild Lettuce that is easily searchable in the Lab's product list. Lemurian Ghost also comes to mind as it also shares wild lettuce and ethereal florals (Green, white, and ochre musks with moonflower, white mint, and wild lettuce). The Unicorn, Rushing Against the Tree, Fixed its Horn so Fast in the Trunk that it Could Not Draw it Out is a great scent that reminds me of The Last Unicorn, but does not have a lettuce note. If you are purely interested in The Last Unicorn for its lettuce, there other lettuce scents with an ethereal vibe, you might want to look into When the Stars are Weeping (Glittering starry musk dotted with crystalline vanilla, benzoin, violet leaf, Italian bergamot, white honeysuckle, water lettuce, and grief-touched crushed carrot seed.).

Edited to fix formatting DX

Edited by celestia

Current top 5 are:

Stekkjastaur

Lucille Sharpe

Alan McMichael

Light's of Men's Lives

I would like to second LizziesLuck's rec of De Vos' unicorn for a fluffy, sugary scent. Also I haven't sniffed Alan McMichael but based on the notes and other recommendations I would say St. Clare might be up your alley! It's warm, rummy, and a little woody.

Eeee, I'm spoiled with amazing suggestions! :blush2:

SmilesSunshine All of those sound really great! I love Dorian, and the Bloodmilk collection has been on my radar. As for The Girl, if you've tried Ava how similar are those two? :think: Ava is a sweet floral to my nose with a splash of brattiness which I love. Fairy Market also sounds right up my alley, thank you! Haloes also has my attention, but it seems to have sold out ;_;

LizziesLuck I've actually just ordered De Vos, I have high hopes for it! I've never tried Antikythera and Tombstone, I'm definitely getting an imp next time together with O and Engine 93, so thank you :) weirdly I get no rum from Alan, just spicy clove + sandalwood. I wonder if you've tried the RPG bard and how similar the bay rum note is to Alan? D:

And I love Rapunzel! It's pretty much a signature scent for me in the summer :bunnyluv:

Celestia I just read some reviews on Pip, and yours has definitely scared me haha, I can't deal with nutty/buttery notes at all but I might get a tester just for the golden floral aspect of it! All of the others are getting on my tester list though, When the Stars are Weeping especially sounds so beautiful *.* thank you for all the lovely recs!

I'm currently trying to broaden my bpal horizons, so I'd love some suggestions!

Snipped

Cancer 2007 is a lovely watery lettuce!

Strangler Fig

The Grave-Pig - ​Fig, oakmoss, mushroom caps, and patchouli. (This is a really pretty scent despite its name. :P)

Intrigue - Black palm, with cocoa, fig and shadowy wooded notes.

Nephilim - Holy frankincense and hyssop in union with earthy fig, defiled by black patchouli and vetiver, with a chaotic infusion of lavender, cardamom, tamarind, rosemary, oakmoss and cypress.

I'm especially excited about this Grave-Pig idea. Thanks!

1. Mars Ultor

2. Perversion

3. Outlaw

4. Cockaigne

I love Perversion and Wild Men, so maybe we have some skin similarities?

Doc Constantine

(Sheer musk, cedar smoke, fir needle, chaparral, black amber and leather.)

The Black Rider

(Black leather, oppoponax, tobacco, and BLACK amber.)

Sarah, The Mother Bear

(tonka bean, soft brown leather, myrrh, white sage, gurjum balsam, Ceylon cinnamon bark, red sandalwood, sweet tobacco, and a touch of gunsmoke.)

Crowley

(Infernal musk, red patchouli, lilac cologne, mahogany, lemon rind, oakmoss, leather, and vanilla husk. )

Bread-and-Butterfly

(Its wings are thin slices of Bread-and-butter, its body is a crust, and its head is a lump of sugar.')

Kali

(This perfume is a blend of the sacred blooms of cassia, hibiscus, musk rose, Himalayan wild tulip, lotus and osmanthus swirled with offertory dark chocolate, red wine, tobacco, balsam and honey.)

Intrigue

(Black palm with cocoa, fig, and shadowy wooded notes.)

Ranger

(buckskin accord with Terebinth pine, Russian birch, black ironwood, elder bark, hay, armoise, juniper, patchouli, galangal root, Spanish moss, and cabreuva.)

Golden Priapus

(vanilla and amber with juniper, rosewood and white pine.)

LE:

Phoenix and Dragon, Lupercalia 2016

(Incense-blackened oudh and bourbon vanilla with tobacco absolute and 9-year aged patchouli.)

Dead Leaves and Tobacco (2015)

Pan Twardowski and the Devil (2015)

(Brown leather, bay leaf, tobacco leaf, lavender, and oudh.)