Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ella LaRose

If your top 5 scents are... Then try these!

tI wanna do this again because my skin chemistry has changes and so honey and roses are just not working too well and I'm more open to notes I thought I couldn't handle like leather. I still can't do jasmine, red musk, and snake oil.

In no particular order

Ava

Kumiho....Shanghai also extreme goodness

Tombstone

Theodosious the Legerdemain

Amsterdam

tI wanna do this again because my skin chemistry has changes and so honey and roses are just not working too well and I'm more open to notes I thought I couldn't handle like leather. I still can't do jasmine, red musk, and snake oil.

In no particular order

Ava

Tombstone

Amsterdam

If you like Theodosius and are curious about leather, you might want to give Jareth a try :D

In no particular order

Ava

Tombstone

Amsterdam

AVA <3 Definitely echoing the suggestions given to me ages ago when I needed BPAL equivalents to V&R Flowerbomb- and that one is Butterflies Flowers and Jewels attending.

Amsterdam was quite spring watery and grassy for me- maybe Phoenix in Spring, Venus Murcia, or Wild Dandelion SN. There's one more I can't remember...will have to get back to you ._.

I'm not sure if this is the right thread, but here's my question...

Snake Oil is out of stock at the lab right now. I'm going to order O and The Lion and I REALLY want a bottle of Snake Oil (I've been reading that a lot of people love it aged... I fell head over heels in love with the fresh imp I got!) but like I said, it's out of stock. What GC scent do you guys think is the MOST SIMILAR to Snake Oil?

I'm not sure if this is the right thread, but here's my question...

Snake Oil is out of stock at the lab right now. I'm going to order O and The Lion and I REALLY want a bottle of Snake Oil (I've been reading that a lot of people love it aged... I fell head over heels in love with the fresh imp I got!) but like I said, it's out of stock. What GC scent do you guys think is the MOST SIMILAR to Snake Oil?

Vixen is somewhat close b/fruitier. Saytr is similar b/more masculine to my nose. And of course, all the Snake Pit scents from CD have it in them, b/those aren't GC. I dunno, if you love Snake Oil and know you want it, I'd say wait till it's back, b/then, patience was never one of my virtues. :tongue:

Haha Vetchvesper, that's my problem! I know I should be patient but it's so hard! And also I hate paying for shipping. Oh, well. I think I have an imp of Vixen that I haven't tried yet...

You guys rock!!!! I now have permission to buy me some Jareth and some BFJ Attending. I've been eyeing both of these, plus Bowie. I'll try to track down some decants. Venus Murcia and Dandelian SN go back and forth from plasticky on me. It smells so amazing at first and then my skin chemistry starts play-doh'ing it up. It's sad because otherwise I would be solo down!!!

Be strong Foodie!

Somacat - You could also try Mag Mel or Roadhouse for bright, green scents. Roadhouse really wasn't boozy on me. Jasmine Cottage is also a really lovely green floral, and don't let the name scare you off. There are so many other notes, the jasmine really isn't obvious.

For Tombstone - you might try Stimulating Sassafras Strengthener. It smells like root beer barrel candy, and I adore it even though I'm usually not into candy smells.

For Kumiho - Baobhan Sith and Embalming Fluid both have the white tea with the sharp, citrusy notes.

In no particular order

Ava

Tombstone

Amsterdam

If you like Kumiho and Shanghai, then (provided citrus works well on you), you might also like Aizen-Myoo (three citrus notes, black tea, and cherry blossom) and Baobhan Sith (grapefruit, white tea, apple blossom, and ginger). Both of them felt like citrus-y scent-cousins to Kumiho and Shanghai's tea/ginger and tea/cherry blossom combos to me.

ETA: And I see someone's already recc'd Baibhan Sith. Consider this a second endorsement for it's Kumiho resemblance.

Edited by Elspethdixon

Oh, I'd love some suggestions - I adore:

Baobhan Sith

Amsterdam

Coral Snake

A Holy Man Advises a Woman to Invoke Mary

Morocco

1. How about Shattered? A blend of white champagne notes, grapefruit, lotus, slivered mint and crystalline aquatic blooms

2. Maybe some Dormouse - A dizzying eddy of four teas brushed with light herbs and a breath of peony or Soirs d'Automne from Pretty Indulgent lily, tulip and rose shimmering in the moonlight, brushed by a quiet autumn breeze.

3. That's a tough one. Akuma? blood orange, neroli, and raspberry.

4. Even harder! Ginny, The Reaper of Vengeance Sharp tobacco flower and white cognac, a thin layer of smoke, and dusty black pepper pierced by the amber of her eyes. (I am not even sure why I think this'll be in the same vein....)

5. I don't think there's anything remotely similar to Morocco. But maybe you'd also like Lyonesse Golden vanilla and gilded musk, stargazer lily, white sandalwood, grey amber, elemi, orris root, ambergris and sea moss.

Baobhan Sith

Amsterdam

Coral Snake

Morocco

The current LE Leo has the spiced carnation in common with Morocco, with more saffron, and is more of an herbal take on the theme (chamomile, angelica), which may or may not also appeal. I love them both. This past week after a bad day I showered and put on some Morocco lotion (just Morocco I mixed with unscented lotion) and layered Leo on wrists and neck. Then I was floating in spicy floral heaven.

Coral Snake also makes me think of Akuma. Akuma is much simpler, and sans the apple-spice thing, but worth a try?

Baobhan Sith

Amsterdam

Coral Snake

Morocco

1. How about Shattered? A blend of white champagne notes, grapefruit, lotus, slivered mint and crystalline aquatic blooms

2. Maybe some Dormouse - A dizzying eddy of four teas brushed with light herbs and a breath of peony or Soirs d'Automne from Pretty Indulgent lily, tulip and rose shimmering in the moonlight, brushed by a quiet autumn breeze.

4. Even harder! Ginny, The Reaper of Vengeance Sharp tobacco flower and white cognac, a thin layer of smoke, and dusty black pepper pierced by the amber of her eyes. (I am not even sure why I think this'll be in the same vein....)

5. I don't think there's anything remotely similar to Morocco. But maybe you'd also like Lyonesse Golden vanilla and gilded musk, stargazer lily, white sandalwood, grey amber, elemi, orris root, ambergris and sea moss.

These all sound absolutely fantastic, especially Akuma - blood orange and neroli? Yes, please!

Just looked at the reviews for Ginny. It's been around since 2014 and only 9 reviews? I'm thinking this sounds like a hidden gem.

I'm going to order some imps of these and report back. Thank you so much for the thoughtful suggestions!

Baobhan Sith

Amsterdam

Coral Snake

Morocco

The current LE Leo has the spiced carnation in common with Morocco, with more saffron, and is more of an herbal take on the theme (chamomile, angelica), which may or may not also appeal. I love them both. This past week after a bad day I showered and put on some Morocco lotion (just Morocco I mixed with unscented lotion) and layered Leo on wrists and neck. Then I was floating in spicy floral heaven.

Coral Snake also makes me think of Akuma. Akuma is much simpler, and sans the apple-spice thing, but worth a try?

I've been thinking about Leo, but haven't pulled the trigger. Layering it with Morocco sounds amazing and may be just the thing that sways me.

Neat about Akuma. I'm definitely giving that one a try.

Baobhan Sith

Amsterdam

Coral Snake

Morocco

These all sound absolutely fantastic, especially Akuma - blood orange and neroli? Yes, please!

Just looked at the reviews for Ginny. It's been around since 2014 and only 9 reviews? I'm thinking this sounds like a hidden gem.

I'm going to order some imps of these and report back. Thank you so much for the thoughtful suggestions!

Baobhan Sith

Amsterdam

Coral Snake

Morocco

I've been thinking about Leo, but haven't pulled the trigger. Layering it with Morocco sounds amazing and may be just the thing that sways me.

Neat about Akuma. I'm definitely giving that one a try.

Nice! Mama-Ji might be another to think about (spices, cardamom, nutmeg and flowers). I've enjoyed it as another spicy floral.

I seems to favour a somewhat different scent profile than most of the people already playing along, but what the heck:

1) Spinning Multicoloured Metallic Pinwheel

2) Embalming Fluid

3) Boober

4) Strawberry Moon '09 (with the grass and dandelion sap)

5) Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Bat

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

skyeleric:

Based on Aglaea, what about Peach II or Tamora?

DJ Sin:

A Thought From Propertius was mostly bubblegum and honey on me, so these might be a little off, but you could look at Door or Jailbait.

Floating Brain is another strawberry creamy scent. I can't get enough of smelling like sweet strawberries!

Surprisingly tough even with my newbie collection to choose a top 5 but I think at the moment:

1) Alice

2) Eat Me

3) Verdandi

4) Scherezade

5) Old Demons Of The First Class

Would love any suggestions based on these.

Do love my fresh & Fruities too but haven't quite found 'the one' yet... have a whole bunch of imps of that oeuvre in my next order to try though.

ETA: Oh, and vetiver is rarely my friend.

Edited by Scarlet Woodland

I have a lot of scents in common with you, Scarlet Woodland.

I suggest

1. The Bow and Crown of Conquest: Nobility and haughtiness befitting the Antichrist: sage, carnation and cedar with lavender, vanilla, white musk and leather.

2. Dracul: Black musk, tobacco, fir, balsam of peru, cumin, bitter clove, crushed mint, and orange blossom.

3.The Lion: The dry, glorious warmth of the Savannah. A golden, spiced amber, proud, regal and ferocious.

4. Eve: (This scent is discontinued but sounds exactly like what you are looking for) The spirit of temptation, the essence of lost innocence. Apple blossom, rose, ylang ylang and golden honey.

I have a lot of scents in common with you, Scarlet Woodland.

I suggest

1. The Bow and Crown of Conquest: Nobility and haughtiness befitting the Antichrist: sage, carnation and cedar with lavender, vanilla, white musk and leather.

2. Dracul: Black musk, tobacco, fir, balsam of peru, cumin, bitter clove, crushed mint, and orange blossom.

3.The Lion: The dry, glorious warmth of the Savannah. A golden, spiced amber, proud, regal and ferocious.

4. Eve: (This scent is discontinued but sounds exactly like what you are looking for) The spirit of temptation, the essence of lost innocence. Apple blossom, rose, ylang ylang and golden honey.

Thanks Joyleaf_ great suggestions!

Eve sounds fricking awesome, will have to keep my eye out just in case some appears.

The Lion is yummy. I just got an imp in my last order and it's definitely on my big bottle list.

Dracul did something really weird on me unfortunately and turned to curried cleaning products. Something to do with the fir and/or cumin I'm guessing as everything else listed works well on me usually.

So happy you mentioned the Bow and Crown of Conquest. It's come up quite a few times in my searches as I looove carnation, vanilla and white musk. Think the lavender/sage combo frightened me off but am definitely getting an imp on my next order now.

Thankyou!

Edited by Scarlet Woodland

Happy to help! You should check out Dorian now that I think about it. It has a similarity to Alice. Dorian's notes are : a sweet gilded blossom lying over a twisted and corrupted core. A Victorian fougere with three pale musks and dark, sugared vanilla tea.

Happy to help! You should check out Dorian now that I think about it. It has a similarity to Alice. Dorian's notes are : a sweet gilded blossom lying over a twisted and corrupted core. A Victorian fougere with three pale musks and dark, sugared vanilla tea.

Dorian's on my big bottle list too... took a while to educate my nose to the fougere element but I love it now.

Scarlet Woodland - If you like carnation, you should try Maiden - white tea, carnation and Damask Rose. It's a really lovely, sweet, light carnation scent.

Oh! And don't forget Bathsheba. Carnation, plum, and Arabian musk.

Edited by VetchVesper

Scarlet Woodland - If you like carnation, you should try Maiden - white tea, carnation and Damask Rose. It's a really lovely, sweet, light carnation scent.

Oh! And don't forget Bathsheba. Carnation, plum, and Arabian musk.

Great suggestions VetchVesper thanks! I grabbed imps of these on my last order and have definitely fallen for Maiden. Am re-testing Bathsheba right now (had a weird nose-blindness thing on my last test and couldn't really smell it). Doing the full slather this time as the listed notes are purrrfect.

Really need to find me some SN Carnation.

I posted here once before, but my collection has grown a lot since then and I have some new favourites :)

Sarah the Mother Bear

Paladin

Coyote

The Bear Prince

Bewitched

I seem to like skin musk, vanilla, leather and berries, but welcome any recommendations!

I posted here once before, but my collection has grown a lot since then and I have some new favourites :)

Sarah the Mother Bear

Paladin

Coyote

The Bear Prince

Bewitched

I seem to like skin musk, vanilla, leather and berries, but welcome any recommendations!

If you like Bear Prince, you will probably also like Fresh and Blooming as a Rose. It's like Bear Prince without the musk :)

Maybe try Jareth if you like Paladin?