Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ella LaRose

If your top 5 scents are... Then try these!

Ashinros - I'm going to have to keep an eye out for your swaps page. I think we have very different tastes! X-P

Rendezvous in the Bath - Polyester Spider Web (starts out funky but really deserved more love). Possibly Envy if you like lavender. It's got the mint and herbal cleaness. A similar vibe?

Snow at Noon reminds me of Embalming Fluid and The First Time I Saw a Ghost

Titania - other cool, sweet fruity florals would be Kitsune Tsuki, Juliet, 51 and La Bella Donna Della Mia Mente

Hope that helps!

Ashinros - I'm going to have to keep an eye out for your swaps page. I think we have very different tastes! X-P

Rendezvous in the Bath - Polyester Spider Web (starts out funky but really deserved more love). Possibly Envy if you like lavender. It's got the mint and herbal cleaness. A similar vibe?

Snow at Noon reminds me of Embalming Fluid and The First Time I Saw a Ghost

Titania - other cool, sweet fruity florals would be Kitsune Tsuki, Juliet, 51 and La Bella Donna Della Mia Mente

Hope that helps!

I believe we do! And I have handfuls of imps that aren't my type of scent that sound like things you would like!

Also my husband likes BPAL and here are the ones he likes most:

Thunder Moon (he super loves this one)

Villain

Arkham

Calico Jack

Hexennacht

I'd recommend Jolly Roger!

I have been out of the BPAL game for a while but would love to try something new.

It should be something along the lines of what I like/love but not too similar to the scents I already own/wear- if that makes any sense. ;)

Here are my top five perfumes (randomish order):

1) Ava (OLLA)

2) Giant Vulva

3) Midway

4) Shub Niggurath

5) Boomslang v2

I like scents like 1-3: Light, sweet, feminine (but with a twist). 4 is great on me because vanilla and cinnamon (in a small amount) work great on me, but anything with caramel or baked goods is just awful on me.Resins are OK if not too strong - Lady Death works great one me because it combines light and resinous elements. Chocolate and dark musks work on me like in 5 or Black Temple Burlesque Troupe.

I am mainly looking for scents from more recent updates.

Apart from what I listed above, rose, violet and scents that are too masculine (woods, smoke, leather, juniper, pepper) never work on me.

I would be really happy if you could suggest something to me! :D

Hi everyone! I've tried a lot of scents in the GC to figure out what I like and now I'm looking to be more adventurous and to branch out into some more complex and multi-faceted scents. I'd like to try out some LEs, some CDs, and some of the un-impables from the GC - but with so many options it is pretty overwhelming!

For my birthday I ordered my first two 'blind bottles' (The Waltz from CP and the LE Taurus blend) and I'm excited to try those out.

My top 5 (in no particular order) as of today are:

Catherine (in the rose category Persephone is a very close second)

Tavern of Hell

Absinthe

Pele

I don't have a lot of time to hunt down discontinued items, so I'm mostly interested in still available or relatively recent releases, although if there is something you really think I should make an effort to find on the forums or from eBay, I will do my best!

Thanks in advance!

Edited by joopjoop

Honey - Have you tried the GC scents Tlazolteotl and Good? I'm pretty sure Tlaz has the same cocoa note as Boomslang along with copal and some other unusual notes. It's very different and worth a sniff. Good is light and sweet and has layering possibilities. Possibly the Yule Lad scent Giljaguar? Sweet creamy coconut w/ a really nice, smooth cinnamon.

Joopjoop - Sorry. I really can't think of anything I've tried recently in the LE's that reminds me of your favorites. :-(. I'm curious what others say though. I'm a big fan of Absinthe myself.

Edit: Actually, you might see if you can get a decant of Faiza, Lady of Serpents. 51 had a sort of fruitiness with its sweetness tempered by soft, dry resins to my nose, and Faiza sort of has that feel though the notes are different. It's a very complex scent too.

Edited by VetchVesper

Joopjoop- the GC scents Embalming Fluid and Sea of Glass are some of my favourite light green scents. You might also check out Full Moon, Rendezvous in the Bath,and On the Porch in the Rain from this year's Lupercalias.

If you like the herbal aspect of Catherine, Mummeries and Straining-to-be-Memorable Passages from the Scalia collection might please you.

I don't think I have tried Tlazolteotl but I shall seek it our - thanks! :D

I liked Good (definitely up my scent-alley), but it lacked some degree of sophistication. I guess there are only a few simple scents that I really enjoy.

I think that Gobo might be worth a re-test. :)

Giljagaur didn't really work on me, alas. No coconut and all weird tangy milk. :o

Thanks so much for your suggestion! If anyone else wants to comment for me - feel free, please! <3

Honey - Have you tried the GC scents Tlazolteotl and Good? I'm pretty sure Tlaz has the same cocoa note as Boomslang along with copal and some other unusual notes. It's very different and worth a sniff. Good is light and sweet and has layering possibilities. Possibly the Yule Lad scent Giljaguar? Sweet creamy coconut w/ a really nice, smooth cinnamon.

Joopjoop - Sorry. I really can't think of anything I've tried recently in the LE's that reminds me of your favorites. :-(. I'm curious what others say though. I'm a big fan of Absinthe myself.

Edit: Actually, you might see if you can get a decant of Faiza, Lady of Serpents. 51 had a sort of fruitiness with its sweetness tempered by soft, dry resins to my nose, and Faiza sort of has that feel though the notes are different. It's a very complex scent too.

Honey - Glad to help! Actually your mention of Gobo made me think of Pere Noel and then The Round Dance. I usually don't like candy sweet scents b/c they are too simple, but those two are really lovely and complex. I would definately call them "light, sweet, and feminine with a twist!"

I have been out of the BPAL game for a while but would love to try something new.

It should be something along the lines of what I like/love but not too similar to the scents I already own/wear- if that makes any sense. ;)

Here are my top five perfumes (randomish order):

1) Ava (OLLA)

2) Giant Vulva

3) Midway

4) Shub Niggurath

5) Boomslang v2

I like scents like 1-3: Light, sweet, feminine (but with a twist). 4 is great on me because vanilla and cinnamon (in a small amount) work great on me, but anything with caramel or baked goods is just awful on me.Resins are OK if not too strong - Lady Death works great one me because it combines light and resinous elements. Chocolate and dark musks work on me like in 5 or Black Temple Burlesque Troupe.

I am mainly looking for scents from more recent updates.

Apart from what I listed above, rose, violet and scents that are too masculine (woods, smoke, leather, juniper, pepper) never work on me.

I would be really happy if you could suggest something to me! :D

Since you like Midway, have you tried Mouse Circus yet? In the same vein at least - A toodle oodle of pink cotton candy noses, vanilla spun sugar fur, scattered kernels of popcorn, and a touch of polished golden wood.

Joopjoop- the GC scents Embalming Fluid and Sea of Glass are some of my favourite light green scents. You might also check out Full Moon, Rendezvous in the Bath,and On the Porch in the Rain from this year's Lupercalias.

If you like the herbal aspect of Catherine, Mummeries and Straining-to-be-Memorable Passages from the Scalia collection might please you.

Thanks Auspicious Q! Embalming Fluid didn't really work for me but I will get ahold of an imp of Sea of Glass and start a hunt for those Lupers! I have had my eye on Mummeries for a while, I might just take the plunge.

Thanks VetchVesper! Yes, Absinthe is great - I'm wearing it today. And wow, Faiza looks amazing! A lot of interesting notes - I'm a little wary of vanilla but determined to keep expanding my horizons (*scurries off to search the sales forum*)

Thanks again!

I really appreciate it. If you think of anything else, let me know.

Hi everyone! I've tried a lot of scents in the GC to figure out what I like and now I'm looking to be more adventurous and to branch out into some more complex and multi-faceted scents. I'd like to try out some LEs, some CDs, and some of the un-impables from the GC - but with so many options it is pretty overwhelming!

For my birthday I ordered my first two 'blind bottles' (The Waltz from CP and the LE Taurus blend) and I'm excited to try those out.

My top 5 (in no particular order) as of today are:

Catherine (in the rose category Persephone is a very close second)

Tavern of Hell

Absinthe

Pele

I don't have a lot of time to hunt down discontinued items, so I'm mostly interested in still available or relatively recent releases, although if there is something you really think I should make an effort to find on the forums or from eBay, I will do my best!

Thanks in advance!

Absinthe Bonbon was a Luper a few years ago; it's Absinthe + white chocolate, sweeter and smoother than the original but with the same personality. I'm a big Absinthe fan and I loved it.

If you like 51, I agree that Rendezvous at the Bath from this year's Lupercalia is a great choice. Or Dirty, a slightly floral, clean-smelling GC.

I thought I might try this again since the last recommendations I got were fa-bu-loussss. This time I've chosen different ones!

1.) Blossoms in Springtime
2.) The Instruction Manual
3.) L'Estate
4.) Gáttaþefur
5.) The White Witch
I love Blossoms in Springtime because the honeyed floral aspect is just so gloriously divine. I mean, it smells like honey nectar speckled like dew across beautifully pink and amber flower petals. I love it so much I find it hard to think what life would be without it now.
The Instruction Manual is a glorious marriage of Cherry Blossom and Strawberry (same note as Strawberry Sufganiyot) and it's toothsome and fruity floral without being overly gourmand. It's not so much delicate as it is glowing.
Thirdly, L'Estate- I love love florals like this. I'm not a fan of non distinct florals but the golden scent of honey and musk is starting to make me feel that I'm really easy to exploit, lol.
Onto Gáttaþefur! This one is really gourmand, I know - but I get this incredible edible drydown that isn't at all cloying or heavy on the "baked" part. I can't wear generally foody scents anymore, like Gluttony and Cockaigne, and I shy away from the battery nutty smell of yellow cake and chocolate because both go hazle-nutty nutty on me and I don't like nuts in my perfume. It dries down like a very expensive gourmand vanilla and if I knew other scents like it, I'd definitely want to try it! It's nothing like the generally foody scents I'm so used to remembering. I don't love any of the notes listed either (none of them even call out to me), so it's a bit of a mystery.

I don't know what it is about The White Witch I like, but it is the kind of 'deeper' scent I'm willing to explore. I don't particularly care for red musk (and I can't wear Mme Moriarty, have been there and done that with Smut, Snake Oil and all the older scents one might suggest) - but the drydown is a crazy nice bourbon vanilla musk with light whiffs of rose, violet and pomegranate that I can't really ignore. So ... anything out there that's erring on the side of "deeper than the rest of my list" I might want to try?

Sorry for abusing this thread. It's a favourite haunt of mine ;_;

celestia - a honey & floral blend that surprised me recently was Sed Non Satiata, even though it is super-GC I'd suggest trying it if you haven't and can. I also recently busted out Cottonmouth '08 and that morphed crazily on my skin, it went from a "raining in a flower garden" all the way to "flower garden in the summer sun" for me. The SO was not at all present anywhere but in the bottle!

No suggestions for Sakura/Strawberry other than maybe the Post's Enveloped in Silk HG, which I just got and haven't tried (the strawberry note is very nice, from bottle sniffing!), and I'm still looking for a wearable yet pronounced musk myself. It may be that they get mostly eaten by my skin, but I'm not quite ready to call it quits on experimenting.

Celestia -

Blossoms in Springtime - maybe The First of Three Spirits -- really golden and lovely, in a different way than Blossoms. And, it's GC, but have you tried Belle Vinu? or Les Bijoux? Eros, Flora, Kali, The Temptation, Loralei, Hermia, Hetairae...

Absinthe Bonbon was a Luper a few years ago; it's Absinthe + white chocolate, sweeter and smoother than the original but with the same personality. I'm a big Absinthe fan and I loved it.

If you like 51, I agree that Rendezvous at the Bath from this year's Lupercalia is a great choice. Or Dirty, a slightly floral, clean-smelling GC.

Oh wow! mouth watering! I will try to find some Absinthe Bonbon immediately. Thanks!

Celestia -

Blossoms in Springtime - maybe The First of Three Spirits -- really golden and lovely, in a different way than Blossoms. And, it's GC, but have you tried Belle Vinu? or Les Bijoux? Eros, Flora, Kali, The Temptation, Loralei, Hermia, Hetairae...

Ohhh! Time to track down this old Yule!

I've actually tried most of the ones you've mentioned Belle Vinu was a little too citrus for me- and Les Bijoux I think the peach, rose and myrrh reacted amped strangely with my chemistry and made it smell weird.. but I think I might try it again! Kali had this strange chocolate scent (i love chocolate but it went funky on me :() I'm not a huge fan of myrrh in my florals (and most of my favour with spices and incense comes from them as background and supporting notes) Do you know how much myrrh you got when applying yours? I've read that it can smell a bit herby. I love the sound of flora! so sad it's a discontinued scent but Ill definitely hunt it down. Hetairae did not work on me at all :( i think it might have been the patchouli and clove being too much for the honey to handle (even though back then the honey absolutely reeked on me, I know clove and patchouli are still two notes I need to caution myself with. hmmmm Loralei I don't think is my kind of scent to be honest, neroli and sandalwood aren't really notes I run to as they amp on me strangely- and I seem to only like sandalwood with creamy or vanilla and musky bases...and riceflower doesn't tend to smell too fantastic on me, how much black musk is in Temp Temptation? hmmm - but I think hermia is on point!! adding to my list! Looks like all the discontinued scents piqued my interest...noooooooo hahaha

Celestia - You might try Aristocratic Couple - it's got bourbon vanilla, a similar apricot note as Gattapefur, and cardamom that adds some sophistication. It also smells jammy and delicious!

Bard has honey, vanilla and musk, and is lovely. Edith has a beautiful vanilla in it. It was also a "foodie" scent that actually worked for me when most don't.

For deeper scents, (keep in mind - I love vetiver, patchouli, ect...) Depart Pour Le Sabbat - Bourbon vanilla, sweet red patchouli, oudh, goat's milk accord, and white honey. or Blood Kiss - Lush, creamy vanilla and the honey of the sweetest kiss smeared with the vital throb of husky clove, swollen red cherries, but darkened with the vampiric sensuality of vetiver, soporific poppy and blood red wine, and a skin-light pulse of feral musk.

Edit: Lucille is also a really deep, complex floral backed by amber w/ fruity notes. It's very different from the White Witch, b/ maybe has the same tone.

Edited by VetchVesper

Celestia -

Ohhh! Time to track down this old Yule!

I've actually tried most of the ones you've mentioned Belle Vinu was a little too citrus for me- and Les Bijoux I think the peach, rose and myrrh reacted amped strangely with my chemistry and made it smell weird.. but I think I might try it again! Kali had this strange chocolate scent (i love chocolate but it went funky on me :() I'm not a huge fan of myrrh in my florals (and most of my favour with spices and incense comes from them as background and supporting notes) Do you know how much myrrh you got when applying yours? I've read that it can smell a bit herby. I love the sound of flora! so sad it's a discontinued scent but Ill definitely hunt it down. Hetairae did not work on me at all :( i think it might have been the patchouli and clove being too much for the honey to handle (even though back then the honey absolutely reeked on me, I know clove and patchouli are still two notes I need to caution myself with. hmmmm Loralei I don't think is my kind of scent to be honest, neroli and sandalwood aren't really notes I run to as they amp on me strangely- and I seem to only like sandalwood with creamy or vanilla and musky bases...and riceflower doesn't tend to smell too fantastic on me, how much black musk is in Temp Temptation? hmmm - but I think hermia is on point!! adding to my list! Looks like all the discontinued scents piqued my interest...noooooooo hahaha

Kali - oh, true, I always forget about the cocoa because the first imp I tried was i think ancient and it didn't have that at all, sorry!

Is it Les Bijoux you're asking about myrrh? I don't notice it, other than perhaps grounding the scent and binding things together, to me it was a skin-close scent honey golden sweet. Eros, too, myrrh didn't necessarily stand out, the scent is fairly light and well-blended on me. I woudln't describe either of them as herby, on me.

The Temptation - I didn't not get black musk, again other than possibly grounding the scent? On me it was a sweet outdoorsy floral with an *extremely* light not-at-all-overly-prominent slight peach.

I thought I might try this again since the last recommendations I got were fa-bu-loussss. This time I've chosen different ones!

3.) L'Estate

4.) Gáttaþefur

5.) The White Witch

I love Blossoms in Springtime because the honeyed floral aspect is just so gloriously divine. I mean, it smells like honey nectar speckled like dew across beautifully pink and amber flower petals. I love it so much I find it hard to think what life would be without it now.

The Instruction Manual is a glorious marriage of Cherry Blossom and Strawberry (same note as Strawberry Sufganiyot) and it's toothsome and fruity floral without being overly gourmand. It's not so much delicate as it is glowing.

Thirdly, L'Estate- I love love florals like this. I'm not a fan of non distinct florals but the golden scent of honey and musk is starting to make me feel that I'm really easy to exploit, lol.

Onto Gáttaþefur! This one is really gourmand, I know - but I get this incredible edible drydown that isn't at all cloying or heavy on the "baked" part. I can't wear generally foody scents anymore, like Gluttony and Cockaigne, and I shy away from the battery nutty smell of yellow cake and chocolate because both go hazle-nutty nutty on me and I don't like nuts in my perfume. It dries down like a very expensive gourmand vanilla and if I knew other scents like it, I'd definitely want to try it! It's nothing like the generally foody scents I'm so used to remembering. I don't love any of the notes listed either (none of them even call out to me), so it's a bit of a mystery.

I don't know what it is about The White Witch I like, but it is the kind of 'deeper' scent I'm willing to explore. I don't particularly care for red musk (and I can't wear Mme Moriarty, have been there and done that with Smut, Snake Oil and all the older scents one might suggest) - but the drydown is a crazy nice bourbon vanilla musk with light whiffs of rose, violet and pomegranate that I can't really ignore. So ... anything out there that's erring on the side of "deeper than the rest of my list" I might want to try?

For another GC suggestion, one of my favorite honeyed florals is Jezebel (orange blossom honey, rose, and sandalwood). I get no sandalwood at all from it, just the first two notes, and it's one of the rare roses that works well on me.

I've also heard good things about Round Dance as far as vanilla/strawberry/florals go, but I haven't tried it myself because carnation is not a good note on me.

Faiza from Carnival Diabolique might fit the bill for a "deeper" floral scent. It's sweet and gentle but complex, and one of the few white floral-heavy blends I really like, possibly because of the inclusion of vanilla and black amber, but be warned if you're sensitive to cardamom - while my nose couldn't detect the cardamom in it, my skin sure could and went all red and itchy.

My top 5 (in no particular order):

Womb Furie Snake Oil and three types of honey

Gothabilly Black vanilla, Egyptian musk, Rožolj liqueur, and black cherries

Hellion black plum, champaca flower, dark musk, patchouli, narcissus and scorched sandalwood

Imp white peach, amber, golden musk and patchouli

Harvest Moon 06 chrysanthemum, pomegranate, cane sugar and dusty wheat, sorghum, green tea leaf, rice flower and rice milk, Russian sage, bamboo shoot, elderberry, black cherry, wild plum, red haw, hazelnut, red apple and shagbark hickory

(Honorable mentions to Perversion, F54, Boomslang, Schwarzer Mond, and Black Temple Burlesque Troupe)

I'd love some recommendations!

Ryvre, how do you feel about mead? Litha 2006 is exceptional, in my opinion. Honey mead with honeysuckle, oak wood, ivy leaf, wild thyme, carnation, daisy, vervain, gum arabic, frankincense, yauhtli, and liquid copal. - maybe some scary notes, but if you love Womb Furie/Snake Oil/O, and happen to wear or amp honey well, it is a very good thing to try.

Stone fruits generally turn into obnoxious cheap candles on me, so... that's all I've got.

I need to crack a fresh bottle of Litha '06 and make sure it is still good, of course. I finished a bottle last year and it was, so fingers crossed.

Oooh. I think I tried that when my skin hated honey, but not in the last few years. It's going on my wishlist!

3.) L'Estate

4.) Gáttaþefur

5.) The White Witch

For another GC suggestion, one of my favorite honeyed florals is Jezebel (orange blossom honey, rose, and sandalwood). I get no sandalwood at all from it, just the first two notes, and it's one of the rare roses that works well on me.

I've also heard good things about Round Dance as far as vanilla/strawberry/florals go, but I haven't tried it myself because carnation is not a good note on me.

Faiza from Carnival Diabolique might fit the bill for a "deeper" floral scent. It's sweet and gentle but complex, and one of the few white floral-heavy blends I really like, possibly because of the inclusion of vanilla and black amber, but be warned if you're sensitive to cardamom - while my nose couldn't detect the cardamom in it, my skin sure could and went all red and itchy.

Thanks for the recs! Jezebel turned funky on me, I think the orange blossom and sandalwood combination did something weird because I don't mind those notes individually!

I think I'm not mature enough to take the plunge to deeper florals I guess :(... such sad!

I just put on some Katharina and there's only orange blossom as the flower but it's so wonderfully floral and candylike on me. I should have put that one on my list for recommendations :( Now i'm back to base 1. haha