Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ella LaRose

If your top 5 scents are... Then try these!

Ooooh I've been wanting to expand my horizons but I haven't been sure where to start!

1. Morocco

2. Mare Vaporum

3. Mouse's Long Sad Tale

4. Aelian's Phoenix

5. Two, Five, and Seven

Have you tried The Rose, from Marchen? I feel like I remember that includes the greenery that makes Two, Five, and Seven a little more interesting than straight rose to me.

I'll have to give that one a go! I remember looking at it before but somehow it had slipped by me. Thank you!

1. Gingerbread Sin - Gingerbread, amber, sandalwood, black patchouli and cinnamon. / Gelt - Dry cocoa and golden amber

2. Prosperous Flowers of the Elegant Twelve Seasons - Patchouli and honeyed saffron with labdanum, leather accord, and wood vanilla.

3. A Measurement of the Soul - Wild fig, cedarwood, venerable ti leaf, and white sage.

4. Serving Tea After Coitus - Green tea, heady honey, white plum, ambergris accord, and vanilla flower.

5. 51 - Green mandarin, neroli, honeydew, white amber, guava, freesia, white and green musks hovering over desert scrub, smashed wood, and the dry, biting scent of night air over the Groom Lake salt flats.

Unxolve - Antikythera Mechanism has a similar vibe to Prosperous Flowers and is very popular. You also might check out Scholar's Tower, and if you're willing to do some searching, the lab's Black Friday promo, Ploutos was a softer, snugglier Prosperous Flowers. You might also check out Scherezade. It's different, but shares the saffron and warmth of P.F., and it's just lovely in general. Sorry, can't think of anything for the others, though 51 reminds me of Elizabeth Arden's Sunflowers.

Let's do this. :D As of now, my top 5 are:

1) Blood Countess

2) Lady Lucille Sharpe

3) Yvaine

4) The Brides of Dracula

5) Mme Moriarty 2015

Oh man, serving tea is the best. For me, that perfume actually got me into honey scents. Try Hemlock Honey if you haven't yet.

IT DID FOR ME TOO, god honey smells so good. I'll look into it @ Hemlock Honey!!

Unxolve - Antikythera Mechanism has a similar vibe to Prosperous Flowers and is very popular. You also might check out Scholar's Tower, and if you're willing to do some searching, the lab's Black Friday promo, Ploutos was a softer, snugglier Prosperous Flowers. You might also check out Scherezade. It's different, but shares the saffron and warmth of P.F., and it's just lovely in general. Sorry, can't think of anything for the others, though 51 reminds me of Elizabeth Arden's Sunflowers.

PLOUTOS SOUNDS AMAZING I'll add it to my search list! Mechanism/Scherezade I don't remember being blown away by, but I haven't tried Scholar yet. Next time I'm out I'll see if I can find Sunflowers to sniff. O:

I may actually finally have decided on five scents for the moment, so let's go!

1. Theodosius the Legerdemain

2. Firethorn Berry Tea

3. Centzon Totochtin

4. Belle Epoque

5. White Rabbit

(...OK, I'm also very fond of Dorian when it acts nicely on my skin, but that's like four days out of every month; too much of the time it's sticky sweetness :( )

rosedamaskk -

Hi! I saw your post but I don't have major opinions on those, other than Mme Moriarty. Is the 2015 release different than the original? Well anyway here are some things you may like if you like Mme Moriarty -- Lampades, Tintagel, Black Lotus, possibly Fenris Wolf for somethign more typically masculine, Phoenix at Midday, The Infernal Lover, Anactoria, Mircalla.

Psychocygnet -

If you like Centzon Totochtin - maybe Perversion, Tezcatlipoca, Oblivion

Dorian - I had the same problem you do, for the longest time! For years. I still don't reach for it, though I like the scent a ton, just not always on my skin, it goes too sweet a lot of the time. You might try other vanilla scents that have other things going on, like Lyonesse, or musk scents like Heroine, or tea/lemony like Embalming Fluid. Or Cairo, idk, lol, I rec Cairo all the time. XD

I may actually finally have decided on five scents for the moment, so let's go!

1. Theodosius the Legerdemain

2. Firethorn Berry Tea

3. Centzon Totochtin

4. Belle Epoque

5. White Rabbit

(...OK, I'm also very fond of Dorian when it acts nicely on my skin, but that's like four days out of every month; too much of the time it's sticky sweetness :( )

You may like Jareth if you like Theodosius and Dorian, they're pretty similar in terms of their fougere. Dorian was also too sweet for me, but I found Blacker than the Raven Wings of Midnight to have a similar, less sweet vibe!

Unxolve - I'm not a huge fan of Antikythera myself. The tobacco and vanilla together don't work for me, but to my nose, it's got that warm vanilla/wood vibe that's similar to Prosperous Flowers. Scholar's Tower has got the warm wood/leather vibe and a similar weight. It's less sweet and more incensey than PF, but I really liked it. Ploutos is pretty fabulous. One can only hope the lab will make full bottles one day. Happy hunting!

Rosedamask - Sorry. :-( The only one of your favs I've sniffed is Lucille Sharpe and I gave my recs for that a couple posts back.

Psychosygnet - You might try Wilde - It's what I think of as a very classic fougere scent. (oakmoss, lavander, tonka bean). For Firethorn Berry Tea, have you tried Baneberry? It lacks the tea note, but it's a tart, bright green berry scent. You might also try Bewitched - berries and tea, and I'd second the Lampades rec as it's got a tart, fruity quality and is lovely. Centzon smells of light, tart, spicy pear to me, so you might try Alice's Evidence as it's very cinnamon apple/pear. Just know it's a heavier scent. Also cassis/ cinnamon can burn, so beware if your skin is sensative. As for White Rabbit - well, the musk went all dryer sheets w/ my chemistry, but I'm pretty sure the "ornery hedgehog musk" in Croquet is the same one used in WR, so you might give that a try. It's an interesting blend and not a citrus overload like I was expecting. Plus - ONERY HEDGEHOG MUSK. :laugh:

P.S. You might try The East. Really nice fruity, floral, tea blend. I have a bottle, and there's nothing else quite like it.

P.S.S. I am crazy and got Centzo Totochtin confused with Tenochtitlan. Disregard the Alice's Evidence bit.

Hope that helps!

Edited by VetchVesper

rosedamaskk -

Hi! I saw your post but I don't have major opinions on those, other than Mme Moriarty. Is the 2015 release different than the original? Well anyway here are some things you may like if you like Mme Moriarty -- Lampades, Tintagel, Black Lotus, possibly Fenris Wolf for somethign more typically masculine, Phoenix at Midday, The Infernal Lover, Anactoria, Mircalla.

Oooh, yess, Lampades and Anactoria are both ones I want to try! (I have some Mircalla already, because I couldn't resist that namesake, and I do like it a lot, but it missed out on Top 5 because the vanilla/orchid/musk doesn't last very long on my skin and it goes more straight-up herb rack too soon for me.) I will definitely check those out!

This is for my mom, I'm looking for some imps from the GC to maybe scoop up as gifts for her in her next order, so, these are her favorite BPAL scents (limited edition and GC):

1. Drink Me (her all time favorite and she's used up half the bottle)

2. Aunt Caroline's Joy Mojo

3. Mr. Nancy

4. Père Noël

5. Miskatonic University

I don't hate food scents but I don't share her preference for candy and sweets scents so I haven't paid the most attention to them - the kinds of sweet scents I like, like Alice, have notes she won't touch.

You might try Cheshire Cat for Pere Noel and Aunt Caroline. It has a candied citrus vibe with herbs and is light weight.

Cockaigne is all delicious, boozey cake and shares a note with MU. Also, if she hasn't tried Eat Me yet, well it just makes sense with Drink Me.

I'm late in replying (it's been a hell of a week and next week promises to be equally deranged), but thanks, y'all!

@sqwook: Embalming Fluid went pure Lemon Pledge on me, but Lyonesse sounds delicious! I'd love to try Perversion, too, but the coconut note worries me a bit- when I tried Eden, it turned out to be coconut with a side of coconut, and I was scrubbing it off like crazy, because ugh.

@Allumina: Jareth's definitely on my wish list. I'll have to keep Blacker Than the Raven Wings of Midnight in mind if I ever get a chance to try a few of the Ligeia scents- a lot of them sounded interesting to me.

@VetchVesper: Both Wilde and Baneberry sound really good to me. Also, I need more excuses to say "ornery hedgehog musk" (and possibly "Enraged Bunny Musk") in my life.

To me, Centzon is sort of a slinky spiced-wine scent (thanks for the clarification, I was wondering how skin chemistry could turn evil, spicy cocoa-wine into pears!), so I've been looking at other wine scents like Lady Macbeth. Haven't bought any, though- I keep worrying I'll end up smelling like that Titanic memorial service I went to where a lot of people were trashed on what I'm guessing was that $2 wine from Trader Joe's.

Psychosygnet - I'm not the best person to ask about wine notes. $2 Trader Joe is what I tend to get. :tongue:

You might try Kali though. It's got the wine and chocolate combo and my mom loves it. Wines that worked on me were Queen Alice, which is also one of the few foodie type scents that works on me, and Obsidian Widow, which is very rich, heavy floral and wine. Bathsheba is exsquisite. It doesn't have wine as a note, but it smells like plum wine on me. Heavy, rich fruit and spicey carnation. You might also look into getting a decant of Chinoiserie from the Lupers if you haven't already. The couple of reviews that have come through have been good. I've been struggling to resist.

PrinceofcatS - I second the rec for Cockaigne if your mom loves Drink Me and Miskatonic U. I love foodie smells and Cockaigne and Drink Me are two of my favorites.

Another possibility is Elegba, which is rum, tobacco, and coconut, very thick/sweet, and which shares two of the main notes from Mr. Nancy.

-

Hi, I´m ordering for the first time in years and would welcome suggestions.

1. Valse Finale et Apotheose (three honeys, white mint, and apple blossom)

2. Frumious Bandersnatch (Bandersnatch musk, redolent of spicy carnations, wild plums and chrysanthemum)

3. O

4. Perversion

5. Aunt Caroline´s Joy Mojo

I liked Eat Me, Mouse´s Sad and Long Tale, Snake Oil, Prague and Thalia, but not enough to get a bottle; Brisingamen didn´t work for me, unfortunately (too much amber, I think, and no apple blossom or carnation) and I hated Vixen and Seraglio; I already ordered Womb Furie.

Okay,

I have tested a lot of stuff after first initially trying BPAL, and now that I have gotten past the TRY ALL THE THINGS phase, I want to try some more things...just a little more specifically. :)

Here are some of my top five favorites right now:

1. Lullaby from Crimson Peak: Moonflower and iris root with French lavender, tuberose, white sandalwood, night-blooming gardenia, vanilla orchid, and moss.

2. My Baby & a Baby Goat: Fuzzy baby goat musk, goat’s milk accord, wild rice flower, and a little bit of farmer’s market honey

3. Rose Red: The perfected winter rose, dew covered and freshly cut

4. Somewhere or Other: Ephemeral, elusive: a mist-veiled, pale rose.

5. Bon Vivant: An effervescent blend of crystalline champagne notes and sweet strawberry.

I enjoy hunting down LEs, but it is always nice to find stuff in the GC.

I have not tried a lot of scents, but out of the ones I have, these are my favourites:

1. Dirty (I use this to go to sleep, I am almost done with my third bottle...)

2. White Rabbit

3. Hemlock Honey

4. Dorian

5. Snake Oil

I have a pretty good collection going so I feel like Ive tested enough.

So far my top 5 are(this was so hard!!):

1. Fredric

2. Do the Dancing Maidens Sleep

3. Allen McMichael

4. Ysabel

5. The Manuscript

Really my favorites depend on my mood so they change a lot, these just happen to be the ones I've been wearing a lot recently.

I am on my second bottle of Lucy's Kiss and nearly out of Catherine, Zombi, Dorian, Morocco, and Lucille Sharpe :'(

I recently received The Bride, John Watson, and Yorick as well and I cant get enough of them!

A few folks have recently mentioned White Rabbit as a favorite. To you all I recommend Kubla Khan, which also has a spiced vanilla tea and creamy florals vibe. Instead of a clean white shirt Kubla Khan has hay and incense smoke in an ice cave. It's like White Rabbit went on a Walter Mitty adventure through Mongolia.

Skytyping with Chemtrails
Serpents with glittering eyes and forky tongues
No 93 engine
Silver haired bat
Fledgling raptor moon

also maybe something based on nonbpals? (since i have so few that i dont have a lot of actually pick from for the above list)

Vanilla

Honey
That smell that candles have when they burn
Pomegranates
Sandalwood

Violet

Bergamot

patchouli? (if its dominant karma komba smell from the lush solid perfume?)

Skytyping with Chemtrails

Serpents with glittering eyes and forky tongues

No 93 engine

Silver haired bat

Fledgling raptor moon

also maybe something based on nonbpals? (since i have so few that i dont have a lot of actually pick from for the above list)

Vanilla

Honey

That smell that candles have when they burn

Pomegranates

Sandalwood

Violet

Bergamot

patchouli? (if its dominant karma komba smell from the lush solid perfume?)

If you like vanilla, honey, and candlesmoke, you definitely should try Light of Men's Lives. It's a GC perfume, and while it has no listed notes, it basically smells like vanilla-infused beeswax and candlesmoke. Several reviewers have compared it to No. 93 Engine, though they smell very different from one another on me.

For honey/vanilla/patchouli, have you tried Womb Fury? It's a combination of Snake Oil (which is patchouli and vanilla) and several honey notes. It's one of this year's Lupers, which just came down, I think (though it's worth checking the lab's site just in case), but it's a recent enough LE that you can probably find some on the forums.

Freyasfae - The Sorceress from the 2015 Weenies shares a lot of notes with Lullaby and smelled similar to my nose, just darker and more incensey.

PersimmonSeeds - You might try Deep In Earth since you like Yorick, Zombi, and rose.

JoeStiletto - High again! I'll add to my recs Bruised Violet Compound - beautiful, mossy violets and patchouli, and The Coiled Serpent - equal parts sandalwood and patchouli to my nose. You might also like Namaste - sandalwood, jasmine, rose, patchouli, cedarwood and lemongrass. Cedar and lemongrass hate me, but it might work great for you!

I have tried a bunch of BPALs now from when I first posted here, so let's see what new recommendations I get based on what I like now! :D

The Instruction Manual

Rendezvous at the Bath

The Snow at Noon

Moons of Jupiter: Metis

Titania

Also my husband likes BPAL and here are the ones he likes most:

Thunder Moon (he super loves this one)

Villain

Arkham

Calico Jack

Hexennacht