Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ella LaRose

If your top 5 scents are... Then try these!

I haven't been online or made an order in ages, and I feel like I need new recs now, especially since #5 and #1 are no more.

5. Wolfsbane

4. Leannan Sidhe

3. Cheshire Cat

2. Boabhan Sith

1. Torture Queen

(Honourable mentions go to Kumiho and Festival of Anuket)

What about Mad Hatter? That's a lovely soft summery thing like Leannan Sidhe, more herbal than flowery though.

Not familiar with 5 and 1.

Cheshire Cat I love, very jasmine to me. Jasmine Cottage?

Okay- some slight adjustments now that I've tested a little more..

1- Viconte de Valmont (love how sharp and elegant this is, smells like a beautiful man on me)

2- Languor (the big dark opiate flowers that I didn't know that I wanted to smell like)

3- Count Dracula ( though Dracul is helping to ease the suffering of being unable to get bottles of this beauty, if only a little)

4- The Lady of Shalott (those huge white cold flowers, I love them)

5- Dragon's Blood (so far the other blends do not hold a candle to the straight up cheerful, bold warm original)

I'm going through new scents every day, but curiosities like The Ghost and Loup Garou have been sneaking multiple wearings and Mr. Ibis and King Haggard may edge themselves into the top 5 soon....

Let me know if there's anything I should prioritize. I wonder if I'm showing any patterns yet... so far I know things that go to sweet/foody don't work on me. GC or unimpable only, please. Count Dracula broke my heart with his inaccessibility.

I know the feeling of being hurt by Count Dracula's inaccessibility - I love that scent SO MUCH and I have yet to find a proper general catalog equivalent. :( However, two scents that are cousins (and are relatively easy to find on the Sales forum/eBay/etc) are:

The Wild Men of Jezirat al Tennyn - red amber, Spanish moss, Indonesian patchouli, ambergris, red pepper, two cloves, and vanilla flower

I find this to be hotter, a bit more creamy from the vanilla flower with a bit of greenery from the Spanish moss. This was a Carnaval Diabolique scent that will HOPEFULLY come back with one of the later acts, but if it doesn't, it's definitely one of the easier ones to find on the secondhand market. I actually got my bottle from Etsy a few years back, and this hung around there for a whiiiile.

The Hell-Gate of Ireland (2013) -Smoldering brimstone, bitter labdanum, clove, black musk, and copper-colored feathers.

Lacks the woodsiness, but has the same black musk and clove elements. Drydown is smokier than CD.

I'm sorry I can't think of many else (or hold to your "GC only" requirement)! I've been dying for a proper substitute myself.

Edited by vthesiren

So, I used to sort of pick my scents by season-- certain scents, especially spicy, "heavy," and foody ones, make me think of Fall and Winter, and my collection fell heavily to that end of the spectrum. But now I've moved to southern California, and I rarely feel like wearing them any more! I still love the scents, but they just don't spell "perpetual summer" to me! So I'm trying to balance out my collection by adding some lighter and brighter fragrances, or fragrances with a spicy note that aren't super deep and heavy. To that end, what sort of Summery recommendations does this crew have for...

- Asphodel (mourn!)

- Green Phoenix (mourn!)

- Litha 2006 (mourn!)

- Xiuhtecuhtli

- Somnus

Embalming Fluid really didn't work for me-- love it in the bottle, on my skin it goes a bit sour. I like citrus, lavender, and watery notes. I'm not very fond of rose, sandalwood, heavy musks, or patchouli.

Hi ya!

Here's some reco's for you:

51 - green mandarin, neroli, honeydew, white amber, guava, freesia, white and green musks hovering over desert scrub, smashed wood, and the dry, biting scent of night air over the Groom Lake salt flats.

Hungry Ghost Moon - sweet rice, ginger candy, sugar cane, smoky vanilla and rice wine mingle with a ghost's perfume of white sandalwood, wisteria, ho wood, ti, white grapefruit, and crystalline musk. This scent is tempered by the presence of ten herbs, woods and resins used in the purification of the spirit.

So, I used to sort of pick my scents by season-- certain scents, especially spicy, "heavy," and foody ones, make me think of Fall and Winter, and my collection fell heavily to that end of the spectrum. But now I've moved to southern California, and I rarely feel like wearing them any more! I still love the scents, but they just don't spell "perpetual summer" to me! So I'm trying to balance out my collection by adding some lighter and brighter fragrances, or fragrances with a spicy note that aren't super deep and heavy. To that end, what sort of Summery recommendations does this crew have for...

- Asphodel (mourn!)

- Green Phoenix (mourn!)

- Litha 2006 (mourn!)

- Xiuhtecuhtli

- Somnus

Embalming Fluid really didn't work for me-- love it in the bottle, on my skin it goes a bit sour. I like citrus, lavender, and watery notes. I'm not very fond of rose, sandalwood, heavy musks, or patchouli.

Asking for rec.s for my husband! His favorites are Troll and Loup Garou so far. He likes the, and I quote "Raaaarg" scents, and they seem to work on him. These scents are so off my beaten path (and he smells terrible in my "masculines" like Golden Priapus, which is just pink plastic on him) that I have no idea what else we might try. Anybody with thoughts?

I happen to have a penchant for "Raaaarg" blends, as opposed to traditional cologne scents.

Some from the general catalogue that might work:

Orc Field grey courgette musk, roughly cured leather, and vetiver.

Fighter Leather, musk, blood, and steel.

Scarecrow Scent of a hot wind blowing through desolate, scorched, and barren fields.

Iago Sinuous black musk, wet leather and vetiver.

Some un-impables from the GC:

Captain Cully A cocky light musk with leather, tonka, a dusting of dry woods, and a splash of porter.

King Haggard Dry cedar, bitter balsam, and ashes.

skekUng the Garthim-Master Vetiver, smoke, steel, and dragon's blood resin.

Agnes Nutter Gunpowder, charred wood, smoke, and rusty nails.

Hastur Smoky-sour labdanum, black patchouli, wet tobacco, and brimstone.

Mr. Vandemar Opoponax, costus, black pepper, black sandalwood, and polished metal.

And some limited editions that are similar to Loup Garou in spirit, and possibly easier to find than obscure ones:

Hans Trapp Tattered leather, dry straw, matted hair, sharpened sticks, and a bundle of switches.

Tattie Bogle Hay, gunpowder, patchouli, a sliver of bark, autumn herbs, and sun-baked wood.

October A rustle of red leaves, a touch of smoke and sap in the air.

Gacela of the Dark Death Terebinth pine, pitch, and clove.

The Hell-Gate of Ireland Smoldering brimstone, bitter labdanum, clove, black musk, and copper-colored feathers.

I don't know how I didn't see this until now, but THANK YOU so much for this list, I will keep it for reference! Since my previous post he has also added Ranger, Rumplestizchen, and Goblin to the mix. :D

So recently my favorite bottles have been:

1. Red moon 2007 (I had no idea I loved red musk so much)

2. Whip

3. The Lovers (Gaiman)

4. A Commentary

5. Nocturnus (for sleeping)

I have a box full of sweet scents I don't reach for much so I'm looking for new recommendations & my faves are sort of going in several directions. I did purchase Mdme Moriarty & am waiting patiently (kind of ) for it.

I am certainly open to other good sleep scents as well.

Thanks in advance for any recs!

So recently my favorite bottles have been:

1. Red moon 2007 (I had no idea I loved red musk so much)

2. Whip

3. The Lovers (Gaiman)

4. A Commentary

5. Nocturnus (for sleeping)

I have a box full of sweet scents I don't reach for much so I'm looking for new recommendations & my faves are sort of going in several directions. I did purchase Mdme Moriarty & am waiting patiently (kind of ) for it.

I am certainly open to other good sleep scents as well.

Thanks in advance for any recs!

Well our tastes are not very similar at all but I wore the heck out of Red Moon 2007 this spring. The other scent I kept reaching for to deal with the monsoon of 2015 was an old favorite Bakeneko. If I didn't have a back up I wouldn't mention it is on the lab's etsy site right now but I do so you might as well pick up a bottle

Warm amber musk, Satsuma tangerine, black tea leaf, cardamom, cherry blossom and cinnamon.

TKO is always good for sleeping

Well our tastes are not very similar at all but I wore the heck out of Red Moon 2007 this spring. The other scent I kept reaching for to deal with the monsoon of 2015 was an old favorite Bakeneko. If I didn't have a back up I wouldn't mention it is on the lab's etsy site right now but I do so you might as well pick up a bottle

Warm amber musk, Satsuma tangerine, black tea leaf, cardamom, cherry blossom and cinnamon.

Thanks! I will have to check out Bakeneko. I have an imp of TKO& it is lovely.

I appreciate the suggestions!

I'm a newish fan looking for recommendations. So far my favorites are, in no particular order:

1. Snow White

2. Tweedledee

3. Katharina

4. Dorian

5. Strawberry Sufganiyot

I like sweet, citrus, vanilla, florals. Thanks in advance!

For Snow White, try Winter-Time and definitely one or more of the snowballs. Since you like citrus, I would try Yellow Snowballs. The snowballs come out at Yule time, so be on the lookout this winter! If you ever see a bottle of Love for sale, grab it! It's strawberry rose marshmallow. You might like White Rabbit, Chanukkiyah, Avunculus, Bette Noir, Bewildered In A Dream, Catherine, Harlequin, and Hunger. Iulia, L'Artiste du Diable is a new/remix scent for the current Carnaval Diabolique so I haven't smelled it, but the notes sound right up your alley. Also Jezebel, Lolita, and Maenad. A couple of LEs in this list, but mostly general catalog stuff.

I am fairly new to this, only having tried most of the GC or fairly easy to get LEs, but this is my list so far:

1. Liz

2. O

3. Oblivion

4. Wrath

5. Bastet

Most of the notes I find myself gravitating towards are vanillas, amber, warm musks, and spices. I know for a fact that bitter almond, and fougere smell like crap on me. I would appreciate any help or thoughts!

Lyonesse, Tamora, Mouse's Long and Sad Tale, Velvet, Good, Paladin, Halfling, Hellcat, Grog

Thanks! I will have to check out Bakeneko. I have an imp of TKO& it is lovely.

I appreciate the suggestions!

If you send me your address I will send you a wee half imp of it from my not used back up bottle that I got from etsy oh within past month. I noticed you said you don't like amber in your notes of post but it is in both red moon and bakeneko. Both also have a citrus in them. Both read as warm snuggly scents to me. I alternated wearing the two all spring this year. I only ship on saturdays so it will be a week but it pops up quite frequently on etsy. Thank the heavens. I have finished a bottle of the kitty and restocked more than once.

If you send me your address I will send you a wee half imp of it from my not used back up bottle that I got from etsy oh within past month. I noticed you said you don't like amber in your notes of post but it is in both red moon and bakeneko. Both also have a citrus in them. Both read as warm snuggly scents to me. I alternated wearing the two all spring this year. I only ship on saturdays so it will be a week but it pops up quite frequently on etsy. Thank the heavens. I have finished a bottle of the kitty and restocked more than once.

You are super amazing. Thank you!

I actually have found a new appreciation for amber. I had been wearing it in the wrong combination for my skin apparently. When flowers are present it turns straight to soap.

thinks the lab has more than one amber

red moon and bakeneko both have flowers in them... but bakeneko is amber *musk* so that might be the awesome on you.

thinks the lab has more than one amber

red moon and bakeneko both have flowers in them... but bakeneko is amber *musk* so that might be the awesome on you.

Well that would make too much sense. :D

Fun thread! I would love everyone's rec's. I collected BPAL heavily from 2005-2007 or so, then haven't at all since. I just got back into it and have missed so much!

My top 5:

1. Red Lantern (I will be ordering a bottle of Elegba based on some of it's similarities)

2. Freak Show

3. Midway

4. Monster Bait: Closet

5. Peony Moon

I would love some GC rec's (or even less hard to find LE rec's) that might remind me of some of these! Thanks in advance!

My top 5 (so far)

1 Autumn Overlooked My Knitting

2 Smut (I love my 2008, haven't smelled newer)

3 Angry Crab

4 Snake Charmer (got a sample of the HG, ZOMG)

5 Eat Me

Looking forward to recommendations, thank you!

I'm super new to BPAL, and looking to try more! Here are my top five!

1. Victoria
  2. Peacock Queen
  3. Alice
  4. Titania
  5. Butterflies, Flowers, and Jewels Attending

Welcome to BPAL! :)

If you like good rose scents like Peacock Queen, you might want to try a few of the General Catalog rose scents, especially The Rose, Roses Pearls and Diamonds, and Snooty Rose.

If you like the feel of Alice you will probably like the feel of several of the other Mad Tea Party scents. One of my own personal favorites aside from Alice is Mouse's Long and Sad Tale, which shares a light and creamy quality with Alice. You might also want to try out Vasilissa, another light and girly scent.

If you can find the discontinued scent Aeval, it seems to me to be slightly similar in feel to Titania.

Ava is sadly now out of stock, but if you can find it, you will likely find it very similar to Butterflies, Flowers, and Jewels Attending. :smile:

Been dancing the BPAL dance for 4-ish years, but this is my first post! Hurrah!

My top 5:

1. Jazz Funeral

2. Brown Jenkin

3. Sea of Glass

4. The Great Sword of War

5. Samhain

Runner-ups: Harlot (loved as much as the top 5, but lasted about 1 hr on me), Anathema, Blood Kiss, Dorian

I'm putting together a new order right now, leaning towards both dark, earthy scents and aquatics. I'm very new to aquatics, but I've loved all I've tried!

My top 5:

1. Jazz Funeral

2. Brown Jenkin

3. Sea of Glass

5. Samhain

Runner-ups: Harlot (loved as much as the top 5, but lasted about 1 hr on me), Anathema, Blood Kiss, Dorian

I'm putting together a new order right now, leaning towards both dark, earthy scents and aquatics. I'm very new to aquatics, but I've loved all I've tried!

Have you tried Penny Dreadful? It has the same earthiness as Jazz Funeral and a similar vibe to me, but where Jazz Funeral is bright and joyful, Penny Dreadful is dark and sexy. You might also like Death Cap, it's earthy but has a sweetness that's similar to coconut. I'm assuming if you like Brown Jenkin you like coconut. I think sometimes people overlook Death Cap because "ewwwww mushrooms!" but I find it really lovely, very delicate and wearable.

My top 5:

1. Jazz Funeral

2. Brown Jenkin

3. Sea of Glass

5. Samhain

I am not big on aquatics, but I have tried Windward Passage and find it to be quite nice. The only aquatic I actually really like is Lightning, but to me it's also a bit floral, so I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for.

If you're looking for earthy, I have to recommend Zombi first, oh how I love it. earth and Roses. It's glorious. I also recently discovered how amazing Yorick is, as far as earthy scents go. It's earth and Angel's Trumpet, which to me is a very spicy floral, almost as if cinnamon and Jasmine had a love child. It's super pretty, rich, earthy and spicy on me.

ETA: How rude of me, I should have welcomed you to the forum!! :welcome:

Edited by LizziesLuck

@Kenaz - Halloo! I like some of your faves, too, myself, so I went through my bpal-notes to find things in a similar theme.

Also I too have moved to a southwest location, and definitely wear your seasonal stuff in the week or two that you feel all seasonal. XD

Green Phoenix & Litha:

The Lilac Wood

Little Bird ******* SERIOUSLY, on me this is so similar to Litha06

Garden Path with Chickens

Orpheus

Yggdrasil

Sunflower

Aurora Spaceship Takes a Dive

Roadhouse ?

Xiuhecuhtli:

The First of the Three Spirits

Antikythera Mechanism

A Wonderful Light

Blossoms in Springtime

@Miareeva - Hi, I see your post, I"m not familiar with those otehr than Eat Me, and I'm not so much a fan of more foody things. Maybe Shub Niggurath for a spiced-up version? If you haven't tried Snake Oil yet then you should. : )

Hi @sqwook! I love Shub Niggurath! I have a new imp of Snake Oil - which I like alright; I was told to put it away and let it age :)

@Miareeva - Hi, I see your post, I"m not familiar with those otehr than Eat Me, and I'm not so much a fan of more foody things. Maybe Shub Niggurath for a spiced-up version? If you haven't tried Snake Oil yet then you should. : )

Since you guys are so awesome at recs I could definitely use help in finding new stuff I may like! I'm still pretty new to bpal.

My favorites right now are probably

Snake oil

The witch queen

A fire for my stepmothers daughters

Mme Moriarty (but it fades in like 30mins on me)

A stroll through the quarter. (Perfection)

I like sweet incense, dark fruits, some floral. I like patch in small doses. Leather amps like crazy so I'm not a fan. . Thanks!

Edited by Catcircus

Since you guys are so awesome at recs I could definitely use help in finding new stuff I may like! I'm still pretty new to bpal.

My favorites right now are probably

Snake oil

The witch queen

A fire for my stepmothers daughters

Mme Moriarty (but it fades in like 30mins on me)

A stroll through the quarter. (Perfection)

I like sweet incense, dark fruits, some floral. I like patch in small doses. Leather amps like crazy so I'm not a fan. . Thanks!

Try Countess Willie, Morocco, and Bordello...and maybe Morgause

I have a new top five! Some life changes have lead me to lighten a lot of aspects of my situation and that has also been reflecting in my scent choices. Here's the new top five right now:

The Fox Sisters

Snow White

Hellcat

Perversion

White Rose