Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ella LaRose

If your top 5 scents are... Then try these!

I'm a newish fan looking for recommendations. So far my favorites are, in no particular order:

1. Snow White

2. Tweedledee

3. Katharina

4. Dorian

5. Strawberry Sufganiyot

I like sweet, citrus, vanilla, florals. Thanks in advance!

I'm a newish fan looking for recommendations. So far my favorites are, in no particular order:

1. Snow White

2. Tweedledee

3. Katharina

4. Dorian

5. Strawberry Sufganiyot

Snow White is very similar to Go to Sleep, Darlings (it can be a bit difficult to find nowadays, though). Other sweet snowy scents include Waltz of the Snowflakes and Winter-Time.

I myself am always looking for another one like Tweedledee, so I don't have very good recommendations for that one. But last year, there was a bunch of orange notes in the Metamorphosis scents, so you might want to check out Eastern Comma and Question Mark.

Katharina is quite similar to the recent Lupercalia scent Aristocratic Couple.

For Dorian, you might also like Antikythera Mechanism, Tombstone, Perversion, and Venustas from last year's Liliths.

Strawberry Sufganiyot is a bit of a doughnut scent. Other doughnut scents include Chanukkiyah and 13 (December 2013), which is basically pomegranate doughnuts.

I am sorry that those are mostly LE's, but I hope you find something to like anyway :D

1. Snow White

2. Tweedledee

3. Katharina

4. Dorian

5. Strawberry Sufganiyot

Snow White is very similar to Go to Sleep, Darlings (it can be a bit difficult to find nowadays, though). Other sweet snowy scents include Waltz of the Snowflakes and Winter-Time.

I myself am always looking for another one like Tweedledee, so I don't have very good recommendations for that one. But last year, there was a bunch of orange notes in the Metamorphosis scents, so you might want to check out Eastern Comma and Question Mark.

Katharina is quite similar to the recent Lupercalia scent Aristocratic Couple.

For Dorian, you might also like Antikythera Mechanism, Tombstone, Perversion, and Venustas from last year's Liliths.

Strawberry Sufganiyot is a bit of a doughnut scent. Other doughnut scents include Chanukkiyah and 13 (December 2013), which is basically pomegranate doughnuts.

I am sorry that those are mostly LE's, but I hope you find something to like anyway :D

I've never sniffed any of those. Appreciate the suggestions!

Okay- some slight adjustments now that I've tested a little more..

1- Viconte de Valmont (love how sharp and elegant this is, smells like a beautiful man on me)

2- Languor (the big dark opiate flowers that I didn't know that I wanted to smell like)

3- Count Dracula ( though Dracul is helping to ease the suffering of being unable to get bottles of this beauty, if only a little)

4- The Lady of Shalott (those huge white cold flowers, I love them)

5- Dragon's Blood (so far the other blends do not hold a candle to the straight up cheerful, bold warm original)

I'm going through new scents every day, but curiosities like The Ghost and Loup Garou have been sneaking multiple wearings and Mr. Ibis and King Haggard may edge themselves into the top 5 soon....

Let me know if there's anything I should prioritize. I wonder if I'm showing any patterns yet... so far I know things that go to sweet/foody don't work on me. GC or unimpable only, please. Count Dracula broke my heart with his inaccessibility.

Edited by DoktorDandy

I'm still quite new as well and only now have I managed to build up anything resembling a favorites list. Would love some recommendations!

1. Snake Charmer Res (haven't tried the original)

2. Red Lantern

3. Bakeneko

4. Eldritch Drunken Constellations (the odd one out here, I think)

5. Panther Moon

Special mentions: Dorian, Sea of Glass, Chimera, Revenant Rhythm.

Wish I could recommend some to those above but unfortunately lack the depth of experience necessary to suggest anything yet. :(

While Red Lantern 2015 is a little less sweet and a little more complex than Perversion, they are really close. Also try the original Snake Oil, I think you will like it too.

While Red Lantern 2015 is a little less sweet and a little more complex than Perversion, they are really close. Also try the original Snake Oil, I think you will like it too.

Perversion has been on my wish list for a while so I'll definitely give it a go! I have a couple imps of Snake Oil. One is only about a week old and one is about 3 years old. I like the older one a lot better but Snake Charmer still takes the cake.

Thanks for the recommendations!

Okay- some slight adjustments now that I've tested a little more..

1- Viconte de Valmont (love how sharp and elegant this is, smells like a beautiful man on me)

2- Languor (the big dark opiate flowers that I didn't know that I wanted to smell like)

3- Count Dracula ( though Dracul is helping to ease the suffering of being unable to get bottles of this beauty, if only a little)

4- The Lady of Shalott (those huge white cold flowers, I love them)

5- Dragon's Blood (so far the other blends do not hold a candle to the straight up cheerful, bold warm original)

I'm going through new scents every day, but curiosities like The Ghost and Loup Garou have been sneaking multiple wearings and Mr. Ibis and King Haggard may edge themselves into the top 5 soon....

Let me know if there's anything I should prioritize. I wonder if I'm showing any patterns yet... so far I know things that go to sweet/foody don't work on me. GC or unimpable only, please. Count Dracula broke my heart with his inaccessibility.

If you like Dragon's Blood, you might also like Blood. It's similar, but distinctive, with a little clovey sharpness.

If you like Languor, you might enjoy Laudanum, Opium Poppy, Slippery Poppy Tincture, or Belle Epoch (I have a slight opium habit!)

Zephyr is a white floral that I really like, when the mood strikes.

(Can't help with the manly scents, because my nose can't handle them.)

I have a small obsession with the lab's bamboo note, but I'm always on the lookout for some wonderful BPAL.

Currently, my all time favortie BPAL hovers between Autumn Coolness and Leanan Sidhe.

Top 5:

1) Autumn Coolness

2) Leanan Sidhe

3) Clockwork Coture: Female

4) Mme. Moriarty

5) O Daughter of Death and Priapus

Anything you can suggest I should try out?

Asking for rec.s for my husband! His favorites are Troll and Loup Garou so far. He likes the, and I quote "Raaaarg" scents, and they seem to work on him. These scents are so off my beaten path (and he smells terrible in my "masculines" like Golden Priapus, which is just pink plastic on him) that I have no idea what else we might try. Anybody with thoughts?

Asking for rec.s for my husband! His favorites are Troll and Loup Garou so far. He likes the, and I quote "Raaaarg" scents, and they seem to work on him. These scents are so off my beaten path (and he smells terrible in my "masculines" like Golden Priapus, which is just pink plastic on him) that I have no idea what else we might try. Anybody with thoughts?

He may enjoy Fighter, Malediction (which is very earthy and smoky), Rumpelstilzchen, Old Demons of the First Class, Djinn and even Jabberwocky since he likes Loup Garou.

I have a small obsession with the lab's bamboo note, but I'm always on the lookout for some wonderful BPAL.

Currently, my all time favortie BPAL hovers between Autumn Coolness and Leanan Sidhe.

Top 5:

1) Autumn Coolness

2) Leanan Sidhe

4) Mme. Moriarty

If you can get your hands on decants of Riding in the Palanquin or Shamisen I recommend those for Bamboo notes.

But other suggestions I recommend are La Belle Au Bois Dormant..... It has the same feel as Leanan Sidhe to me and if you haven't smelled it I think you would really love it. If you have not smelled Le Lethe I recommend that as well, it's glorious (:

I am fairly new to this, only having tried most of the GC or fairly easy to get LEs, but this is my list so far:

1. Liz

2. O

3. Oblivion

4. Wrath

5. Bastet

Most of the notes I find myself gravitating towards are vanillas, amber, warm musks, and spices. I know for a fact that bitter almond, and fougere smell like crap on me. I would appreciate any help or thoughts!

If you love vanilla, the obvious rec.s are Eat Me and Snake Oil. Eat Me is more gourmand, Snake Oil is sweet vanilla with wonderful spice to it. Morocco is also a vanilla spice blend, and Bengal is a spice blend without much vanilla. I would also recommend Mag Mel and Brisingamen as wonderful ambers. You might also look at Perversion or Golden Priapus. All are GC.

He may enjoy Fighter, Malediction (which is very earthy and smoky), Rumpelstilzchen, Old Demons of the First Class, Djinn and even Jabberwocky since he likes Loup Garou.

I have Rumpelstilzchen and Jabberwocky on hand, we shall try them, and I'll put the others on the wish list. Djinn litterally just disappeared on him, alas. Thank you for the reccomendations!

Top 5:

1) Autumn Coolness

2) Leanan Sidhe

4) Mme. Moriarty

I like The Ghost, which has some similar "misty" notes to Leanan Sidhe.

If you love vanilla, the obvious rec.s are Eat Me and Snake Oil. Eat Me is more gourmand, Snake Oil is sweet vanilla with wonderful spice to it. Morocco is also a vanilla spice blend, and Bengal is a spice blend without much vanilla. I would also recommend Mag Mel and Brisingamen as wonderful ambers. You might also look at Perversion or Golden Priapus. All are GC.

Ive tried Eat Me and it turns to weird baby powder and fades away on me, and Snake OIl is lovely. Ill have to check out Mag Mei and Brisingamen as I havent thought to pick them up before now. Thanks for the recs!

Top 5:

1) Autumn Coolness

2) Leanan Sidhe

4) Mme. Moriarty

If you can get your hands on decants of Riding in the Palanquin or Shamisen I recommend those for Bamboo notes.

But other suggestions I recommend are La Belle Au Bois Dormant..... It has the same feel as Leanan Sidhe to me and if you haven't smelled it I think you would really love it. If you have not smelled Le Lethe I recommend that as well, it's glorious (:

Thanks for the suggestions! I have an imp of La Belle Au Bois Dormant. I tried it recently (just a small test) and thought meh (though it was nice), but maybe I should give it a better test. Le Lethe I bought when it first came out, and maybe it was because of freshness, but I didn't like it. I might have to hunt down an aged bottle, or buy another and set it back.

I happen to have a penchant for "Raaaarg" blends, as opposed to traditional cologne scents.

Some from the general catalogue that might work:

Orc Field grey courgette musk, roughly cured leather, and vetiver.

Fighter Leather, musk, blood, and steel.

Scarecrow Scent of a hot wind blowing through desolate, scorched, and barren fields.

Iago Sinuous black musk, wet leather and vetiver.

Some un-impables from the GC:

Captain Cully A cocky light musk with leather, tonka, a dusting of dry woods, and a splash of porter.

King Haggard Dry cedar, bitter balsam, and ashes.

skekUng the Garthim-Master Vetiver, smoke, steel, and dragon's blood resin.

Agnes Nutter Gunpowder, charred wood, smoke, and rusty nails.

Hastur Smoky-sour labdanum, black patchouli, wet tobacco, and brimstone.

Mr. Vandemar Opoponax, costus, black pepper, black sandalwood, and polished metal.

And some limited editions that are similar to Loup Garou in spirit, and possibly easier to find than obscure ones:

Hans Trapp Tattered leather, dry straw, matted hair, sharpened sticks, and a bundle of switches.

Tattie Bogle Hay, gunpowder, patchouli, a sliver of bark, autumn herbs, and sun-baked wood.

October A rustle of red leaves, a touch of smoke and sap in the air.

Gacela of the Dark Death Terebinth pine, pitch, and clove.

The Hell-Gate of Ireland Smoldering brimstone, bitter labdanum, clove, black musk, and copper-colored feathers.

Edited by nathanielhebert

I'm not a newbie, but I've been away from BPAL for awhile. I'd love some inspiration and recs!!

My top five are:

Smut - Three swarthy, smutty musks sweetened with sugar and woozy with dark booze notes.

Dorian - A Victorian fougere with three pale musks and dark, sugared vanilla tea.

Snake Oil - A blend of exotic Indonesian oils sugared with vanilla.

Love Lay Upon Her Eyes - White amber and Bulgarian rose.

Under the Harvest Moon - Blue and white musk, summer roses, wild crimson leaves, grey amber, carnation, lavender bud, and vanilla bean.

I'm not a newbie, but I've been away from BPAL for awhile. I'd love some inspiration and recs!!

My top five are:

Smut - Three swarthy, smutty musks sweetened with sugar and woozy with dark booze notes.

Dorian - A Victorian fougere with three pale musks and dark, sugared vanilla tea.

Snake Oil - A blend of exotic Indonesian oils sugared with vanilla.

Love Lay Upon Her Eyes - White amber and Bulgarian rose.

Under the Harvest Moon - Blue and white musk, summer roses, wild crimson leaves, grey amber, carnation, lavender bud, and vanilla bean.

Oooh, you and I share 3 oils (though SO and LLUHE are not in my top 5), but maybe I've got some suggestions ... I love the Smut, quite truly. Try Dee. It was a Surprise! win for me and had a musk that felt similar to Smut (or maybe it's the incense note). Bonus is Dee is a GC. With that amber/rose combo (one of my favorites right now), try something like Spellbound - though Tamora is becoming one of my favorite amber blends. The White Witch (from last year's weenies) was a wonderful rose blend as well.

My top 5 so far.

*Dorian

*The Atrocious Attic

*The Perilous Parlor

*Against Idleness & Mischief

*Alice

Suggestions greatly appreciated!

Oh, I love Perilous Parlor, too! You might want to try other blends with a prominent pear note, like The Vine or Pleasant Embrace.

If you like Alice, you will probably like some other light blends from the Mad Tea Party collection: The Dormouse or Mouse's Long and Sad Tale.

For Dorian I would definitely recommend the Lilith blend Venustas! Also, if you're a little adventurous, maybe try the recent Yule blend Dumb Cake. It doesn't share any notes with Dorian, but it has a similar feel to it, I think.

I haven't been online or made an order in ages, and I feel like I need new recs now, especially since #5 and #1 are no more.

5. Wolfsbane

4. Leannan Sidhe

3. Cheshire Cat

2. Boabhan Sith

1. Torture Queen

(Honourable mentions go to Kumiho and Festival of Anuket)