Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ella LaRose

If your top 5 scents are... Then try these!

So we have lots of threads based on particular notes or moods you like, but I would love a recommendation thread based on our top five favorites!!

My favorites, in order:

1. Banshee beat

2. Saint fountain de Versailles

3. Aged morocco

4. La lalugubre gondola

5. Variety of pleasing amusements

Based on those, can you think of some I should try? And what is your top five for us to base our recommendations on?

You should try Feed Me and Fill Me With Pleasure, Hesiod's Phoenix, Little Maggie, Question Mark, and Prosperous Flowers of the elegant Twelve Seasons.

I seems to favour a somewhat different scent profile than most of the people already playing along, but what the heck:

1) Spinning Multicoloured Metallic Pinwheel

2) Embalming Fluid

3) Boober

4) Strawberry Moon '09 (with the grass and dandelion sap)

5) Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Bat

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

fairy wine, ghost houses, the current venus blend that has wildflowers

I seems to favour a somewhat different scent profile than most of the people already playing along, but what the heck:1) Spinning Multicoloured Metallic Pinwheel2) Embalming Fluid3) Boober4) Strawberry Moon '09 (with the grass and dandelion sap)5) Twinkle, Twinkle, Little BatAny thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I'd second Velvet Unicorn and suggest Candy Phoenix, Dirty, Shang Hai, The Unicorn and Titania. And Wensleydale for the clean, fresh scent, even though I personally haven't tried that one yet.

I'm sorry, but I'm not familiar enough with the other Top 5s to make recommendations. :blush:

Here are my current (ever-changing) Top 5:

1. The Unicorn (my ultimate grail)

2. Whip

3. Boo

4. Hope

5. Candy Phoenix

wanda, go to sleep darlings, love, hesiods phoenix, ezekiels phoenix, the last unicorn

My top picks switch around a bit depending on my mood, but these always get along with me:

1. Atlas ... Mallow, oak bark, coffee bean, hinoki wood, and khus.

2. French Tobacco SN ... A very faint citrus-like twang and an almost animalic caramel richness.

3. Black Pearl ... Coconut, Florentine iris, hazelnut and opalescent white musk

4. Satan & Death with Sin Intervening ... Opoponax, benzoin, orange blossom, mahogany, karakarounde, white tea and vetiver.

4. White Rider ... White leather and sandalwood.

obatala, ruddy daggerwing***, antikythera mechanism, arana

I'm getting lots of great suggestions from this thread! I'd love some assistance with floral blends in particular. My top 5 are:

Butterflies, Flowers and Jewels Attending

Juliet

Let Revenant

Jingu

Chuparosa

ava! lady death: savage, fae, tamora, mouses long and sad tale

I don't have a top 5 yet but I've learned I love these:

Alice

Kitsune-Tsuki

Suggestions?

Nice choices! Maybe Bordello for a different tone of plum from Kitsune-Tsuki, and Maiden or The Sea Foams Milk for things somewhat like Alice?

Mine:

1) Tamora

2) Obatala

3) Hollywood Babylon

4) Snake Oil

5) O

mouses long and sad tale, love, reflected vulva, lovers and a fan, not so penitent mini magdalene, avunculus

So far I've loved:

Penitence

Hope and Fear Set Free

Plunder

Maiden

Roses, Pearls and Diamonds

Frankincense, white tea, and coconut have all been surprise loves for me!

the future ball, claircognizance, love, mouses long and sad tale, reflected vulva, black opal, lovers and a fan, hesiods phoenix

Ooh, cool, I could use some help! (unfortunately I don't get to usually experiment with a ton of perfumes, and usually get attached to things which are either LE's or discontinued....) My top 5 (in order of love) right now would be:

Moon Rose

Strawberry moon 12' (but after it's calmed and become less fresh/sugary)

Hope

Morocco

Katrina Van Tassle

Please help! :)

definitely hunt down love. pink snowballs, arana, the future ball

Noche Buena (the light, uplifting incense of the Misa de Noche Buena, purple sage, and a vibrant bouquet of plumeria, chrysanthemum, tuberose, Angel's Trumpet, Mexican tiger lily, dahlia, and azucenas.)

Stardust (champagne, hyacinth, tuberose, ylang ylang and flashing white musk with jonquil, tobacco flower, white sandalwood and a pale poppy.)

Pele (muguet and Hawaiian white ginger enveloped by warm, damp tropical blooms.)

51 (green mandarin, neroli, honeydew, white amber, guava, freesia, white and green musks hovering over desert scrub, smashed wood, and the dry, biting scent of night air over the Groom Lake salt flats.)

A Winter Dawn (pearlescent pink grapefruit, neroli, helichrysum, freesia, white mandarin, and rockrose rising behind a dapple of snowflakes.)

eat me, disco snowballs, dia de los muertos, champagne and opium, belle epoque

1. Picture Books in Winter

2. Mouse's Long and Sad Tale

3. Snow White

4. Alice

5. La Befana

What are your thoughts?

go to sleep darlings, tamora, hesiods phoenix, black silk

1. Snake Oil (and it's babies!)

2. Banshee Beat (And by Association, SilkyBat HG)

3. Capax Infiniti (Oh, my @,@)

4. Alice/Queen Alice

5. Red Lace (Also, Black Lace, Autumn Lace...)

Bonus: Glowing Vulva Bath Oil!

I've learned that I adore a lot of scents!

mary lywd (lwyd?), tko, beautiful death, mourning lace, pink lace, mourning cloak, black silk

My current favorites:

Bastet

Fenris Wolf

Lyonesse

Scherezade

Sin

And runners-up: Anne Bonny, Coyote, The Lion, Snake Oil

tamora, fae, juliet, countess willie, ava (from the olla collection)

this sounds like fun! here are my top 5 in no order

kabuki

the last unicorn

queen mab

tarot:the star

sin

runner ups.. Scheherazade, marianne, pele, midnight kiss

(throwing in a wrench for extra difficulty... no honey, vanilla or almond)

forgive me if i accidentally include one of your no-no notes, but try goblin, obatala, black pearl, and eden

sorry i screwed up the formatting on some of these.

my top five:

The Girl

Butterflies, Flowers and Jewels Attending

Lyonesse

Hesiod's Phoenix

Tamora

runners up: Ava, Wanda, Black Opal, Aristocratic Couple

and i don't do patchouli.

Might you guys have any reccs that might run along these (in no particular order):

Eat Me

Lyonesse

'Tis the Voice of the Lobster

Ivory Vulva

Belle Vinu

Runner Up:

Dragon's Milk (for the dry down - I'm not terribly fond of the dragon's blood resin, alas!)

Sheol

I'm still pretty new to BPAL, so my scent list as of now is:

Tenochtitlan

Kumiho

Eat Me

Kurukulla

Bon Vivant

This might seem a little limited right now as I haven't tried a lot of heavier scents or things with strong-profile notes (patchouli, leather, etc.), but I'd love to hear some recommendations based on these and maybe branching out!

Might you guys have any reccs that might run along these (in no particular order):

Eat Me

Lyonesse

'Tis the Voice of the Lobster

Ivory Vulva

Belle Vinu

Runner Up:

Dragon's Milk (for the dry down - I'm not terribly fond of the dragon's blood resin, alas!)

Sheol

Tamora, mouses long and sad tale, Dana oshee, fae, hellcat, maybe bon vivant

I'm still pretty new to BPAL, so my scent list as of now is:

Tenochtitlan

Kumiho

Eat Me

Kurukulla

Bon Vivant

This might seem a little limited right now as I haven't tried a lot of heavier scents or things with strong-profile notes (patchouli, leather, etc.), but I'd love to hear some recommendations based on these and maybe branching out!

Try Wanda to branch out! Good, Paladin, Elf, Half Elf, Tamora, Mouse's Long and Sad Tale, Blood Kiss, Antikythera Mechanism, Belle Epoque, Lyonesse, Against Idleness and Mischief

I have been wanting to post in this thread for a while but needed to sit down and try to narrow down my faves. There are so many!

The Gaoler's Daughter

Creepy (I adore the 06 vintage)

Josie

Agrat Bat Mahlat

Lemon Scented Sticky Bat

Honorable mention: Ae. Aegypti

I have been wanting to post in this thread for a while but needed to sit down and try to narrow down my faves. There are so many!

The Gaoler's Daughter: The Vine, A Thought From Propertius, Gods of Intercourse

Creepy: Lambs-Wool, Elegba, Mitzvah, Red Lantern, Sugar-Slathered Candied Apple

Josie: Aglaea, Mare Nectaris, Peach I, Peach V

Agrat Bat Mahlat: The Golden Apple of the Sun, Heroine, Eve's Big Apple (HG), Venus Obsequens

Lemon Scented Sticky Bat: Delight and Consternation, New Orleans, Pleasant Embrace, Yellow Snowballs

Ae. Aegypti: Honey (HG), Dragon's Milk, Honey Moon, Pepper, Beautiful and Adored

*edit* Just remembered Sphaeromachia Gaumeri for another one like Sticky Bat.

Edited by Balame

The Gaoler's Daughter: The Vine, A Thought From Propertius, Gods of Intercourse

Creepy: Lambs-Wool, Elegba, Mitzvah, Red Lantern, Sugar-Slathered Candied Apple

Josie: Aglaea, Mare Nectaris, Peach I, Peach V

Agrat Bat Mahlat: The Golden Apple of the Sun, Heroine, Eve's Big Apple (HG), Venus Obsequens

Lemon Scented Sticky Bat: Delight and Consternation, New Orleans, Pleasant Embrace, Yellow Snowballs

Ae. Aegypti: Honey (HG), Dragon's Milk, Honey Moon, Pepper, Beautiful and Adored

*edit* Just remembered Sphaeromachia Gaumeri for another one like Sticky Bat.

Thank you!!

In the mood for... my next order... :rolleyes2:

In the past I found myself quite enthusiastic about many scents but gradually I've noticed I was using only three of my many imps... I really like a few more but I don't see myself reaching for them...

My three loved ones:

Tombstone

Hermia

Dana O'Shee

:wub2:

I like sweet, girly, soft and warm notes with a little foody undertone. A little bit of spice is always welcome (pink pepper, cinnamon...). Honey is ok to a certain point but can be very annoying.

I dislike Dragon's blood, incense, most florals, lemony scents, mint, dark musks, sandalwood...

Severe headache warning: rose, incense, labdanum

Edited by Bunnybat

I like sweet, girly, soft and warm notes with a little foody undertone. A little bit of spice is always welcome (pink pepper, cinnamon...). Honey is ok to a certain point but can be very annoying.

Lyonesse and Stimulating Sassafras Strengthener come to mind for cuddly vanilla. Nostrum Remedium is creamy with a bit of heat from wasabi. Chimera is sweet with a cinnamon kick

Edited by rinster

In the past I found myself quite enthusiastic about many scents but gradually I've noticed I was using only three of my many imps... I really like a few more but I don't see myself reaching for them...

My three loved ones:

Tombstone

Hermia

Dana O'Shee

I dislike Dragon's blood, incense, most florals, lemony scents, mint, dark musks, sandalwood...

Lyonesse, Mouse's Long and Sad Tale, Tamora, High-Strung Daisies, maybe Morocco

My three loved ones:

Tombstone

Hermia

Dana O'Shee

Tombstone: Golden Priapus, Deathcap, Antikythera mechanism, Aureus, the Lion, Bastet, Lear, Scales of Deprivation

Hermia: Some Strangeness in the Proportion (has sandalwood though) (sorry no GC recs that aren't floral), long shot suggestion= Jailbait, Black Pearl

Dana O'Shee: Mouse's Long and Sad Tale, O, Cockaigne, Lyonesse, La Petit Mort, Sed Non Satiata

Edited by sprout

I'll fish for suggestions too. My top scents:

Half Elf v 5

Bakeneko

Fenris Wolf

Tamamo no mae

OLLA Ava

Notes I like include most florals except rose, most woods, red or blue musks, tea, stone fruit like apricot or cherry, vanilla, honey, resins and patchouli

Notes that ruin the blend are rose! although I keep trying, melon, cucumber, white musk, ozone, cumin, allspice (but I usually like cardamom and cinnamon), galbanum (unfortunately)

Edited by sprout

Half Elf v 5

Bakeneko

Fenris Wolf

Tamamo no mae

OLLA Ava

Notes I like include most florals except rose, most woods, red or blue musks, tea, stone fruit like apricot or cherry, vanilla, honey, resins and patchouli

Notes that ruin the blend are rose! although I keep trying, melon, cucumber, white musk, ozone, cumin, allspice (but I usually like cardamom and cinnamon), galbanum (unfortunately)

you must try countess willie, the witch queen, and bordello

Half Elf v 5

Bakeneko

Fenris Wolf

Tamamo no mae

OLLA Ava

If you like Fenris Wolf you should try Coyote (The warmth of doeskin, dry plains grasses and soft, dusty woods warmed by amber and a downy, gentle coat of deep musk).

They share the warm wooden notes mixed with sweet undertones of amber and musk.

Thank's a lot for your nice suggestions! :kissy:

I definitively will try Stimulating Sassafras Strenghtener for this awsome Tombstone sassafras and vanilla combo, Cockaign for Dana O'Shees milk and honey note and Jailbait and High Strung Daisies for the pink bubblegum vibe I get from my beloved Hermia.

I've got a few other ideas...

For Tombstone: Some people get cedar from Intrigue. Is it comparable to the warm and comforting cedar in Tombstone?

For Dana O'Shee: Obatala and Halfling for the sweet and creamy milknotes? What do you think?

For Hermia: What do you think about Hollywood Babylon? Do they share the same pink lolitaesque bubblegum vibe?

Edited by Bunnybat

I'm new and would love some recommendations to help me narrow down my next imps to try! Here is my 5's so far that work well on me.

1. Lovers and a Fan

2. Venus Cloacina

3. Pele

4. Fairy Thorn

5. Ava

I also like Tamora, Bastet, and Dorian, those work well on me too.

I'm new and would love some recommendations to help me narrow down my next imps to try! Here is my 5's so far that work well on me.

1. Lovers and a Fan

2. Venus Cloacina

3. Pele

4. Fairy Thorn

5. Ava

I actually haven't tried any in your top 5, but something tells me that Ava probably smells something like the white musk/floral/fruit combination of Katharina, which, like Tamora, contains orange blossom.

1. Lovers and a Fan

2. Venus Cloacina

3. Pele

4. Fairy Thorn

5. Ava

I actually haven't tried any in your top 5, but something tells me that Ava probably smells something like the white musk/floral/fruit combination of Katharina, which, like Tamora, contains orange blossom.

Thank you or your recommendation of Katharina!

1. Lovers and a Fan

2. Venus Cloacina

3. Pele

4. Fairy Thorn

5. Ava

For Lovers, try Obatala. For Venus, Le Serpent Qui Danse. For Ava, Lady Death : Savage. For Tamora, Mouse's Long and Sad Tale. For Dorian, White Rabbit.

Thank you both for suggestions. Must try all those--getting through the general catalog is hard!

Half Elf v 5

Bakeneko

Fenris Wolf

Tamamo no mae

OLLA Ava

you must try countess willie, the witch queen, and bordello

Half Elf v 5

Bakeneko

Fenris Wolf

Tamamo no mae

OLLA Ava

If you like Fenris Wolf you should try Coyote (The warmth of doeskin, dry plains grasses and soft, dusty woods warmed by amber and a downy, gentle coat of deep musk).

They share the warm wooden notes mixed with sweet undertones of amber and musk.

1. Lovers and a Fan

2. Venus Cloacina

3. Pele

4. Fairy Thorn

5. Ava

For Lovers, try Obatala. For Venus, Le Serpent Qui Danse. For Ava, Lady Death : Savage. For Tamora, Mouse's Long and Sad Tale. For Dorian, White Rabbit.

Thank you for your recommendations!

I just received an imp this week of Obatala and need to test. I would test today, but I'm already testing 51 and I'm really enjoying it, I guess Freesia is a good note for me.

I looked up the descriptions and reviews for Le Serpent Qui Danse and Lady Death: Savage and I think I might like those, so they are going on my wish list....I wish I had them right now to test!

I have an imp of Mouse's Long and sad tale and I like that one! I also have an imp of White Rabbit, I think I need to retest that one.

Thank you so much!!

Okay, I finally have a top five (though this could change!)....

1. Vicomte de Valmont

2. Langour

3. Count Dracula

4. Dragon's Blood

5. The Lady of Shalott

I wonder if these show a trend or have anything in common? But yeah, I would be thrilled for more recommendations! I have a wishlist that could sink a ship, but I'm sure that there are some out there that I haven't run across.

Ohh I want to play! My top five are probably...

1. Samhain

2. Hand of Glory

3. Tristran

4. Mag Mell

5. Zombi

Edited by ciaobonefish