Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ella LaRose

If your top 5 scents are... Then try these!

Alrighty, this should be interesting. My enduring top five would have to be:

- Paduan Killer Swarm

- Golden Priapus

- Whoso List To Hunt

- Brown Jenkin

- Dana O' Shee

If you like the sweet milky quality in Dana O'Shee, you might very well like both Go to Sleep, Darlings and Reflected Vulva, which is heaviet on the floral aspects, but still retains the creamy softness. :)

Because I gave some recs but didn't ask for any.

Top 5, in no order:

Adam (OLLA)

Placopobia

Hallowee'en 1914

Tattie Boggle

Black Rider

It seems like you enjoy earthy dirt scents, so I would definitely give both Yorick and Penny Dreadful a try. Also, if you like the maple in 1914 you might like the Shunga Noh Mask and Maple Leaves.

For Black Rider I would suggest either Hans Trapp or Liz.

:)

Top 5, in no order:

Adam (OLLA)

Placopobia

Hallowee'en 1914

Tattie Boggle

Black Rider

The current Yule Hans Trapp is basically Tattie Boggle plus leather to me, so you might want to check it out. It's not that lovely black leather from Adam, but it's still pretty great.

Top 5, in no order:

Adam (OLLA)

Placopobia

Hallowee'en 1914

Tattie Boggle

Black Rider

The current Yule Hans Trapp is basically Tattie Boggle plus leather to me, so you might want to check it out. It's not that lovely black leather from Adam, but it's still pretty great.

How was Hans Trapp not on my list??? Hopefully they'll have it at the Salem Willcall so I can take a sniff, because the sound of Tattie Boggle +Leather is amazing to me.

Top 5, in no order:

Adam (OLLA)

Placopobia

Hallowee'en 1914

Tattie Boggle

Black Rider

It seems like you enjoy earthy dirt scents, so I would definitely give both Yorick and Penny Dreadful a try. Also, if you like the maple in 1914 you might like the Shunga Noh Mask and Maple Leaves.

For Black Rider I would suggest either Hans Trapp or Liz.

:)

I steered clear of Yorick because I can't do floral at all, but Penny Dreadful has amazing reviews, so I'll see about throwing an imp of that into my next order.

I'm a bit worried about Liz because of the floral and the vanilla. Vanilla can be super hit or miss for me, and if the floral is white, I am destined for a headache.

Alrighty, this should be interesting. My enduring top five would have to be:

- Paduan Killer Swarm

- Golden Priapus

- Whoso List To Hunt

- Brown Jenkin

- Dana O' Shee

If you like the sweet milky quality in Dana O'Shee, you might very well like both Go to Sleep, Darlings and Reflected Vulva, which is heaviet on the floral aspects, but still retains the creamy softness. :)

Oooh, I stopped paying attention to the L.E updates a few years ago, and both of those sound like lovely scents for when I'm in the mood for something soft and light. Thanks for the recs.

Edited by VagueInnuendo

Oh my goodness. This looks like fun - so here goes my first post!

My Fav's: Kyoto, Tezcatlipoca, Kitsune-Tsuki, Scherezade, Caterpillar

I'm most interested in anything NOT in the general catalog, since I hate investing in a big bottle I might not like. Any recs?

*****************************************************************************************************************

AND - I've found that - Snake Oil (vanilla), Tezcatlipoca (chocolate/leather) , Sin (chocolate, cinnamon), & Satyr (resins) are all warm, gender neutral, patchouli smells that remind me of eachother, :wub3: so if any of those are in your top 5, you might give the others a try.

For Dana O' Shee you might try the more potent "Eat Me" which also has a sort of vanilla cakeiness that is very tastey.

And for Black Rider lovers - have any of you tried "Faustus?" It's got really different notes, but still has an Old-spice powderyness that IMO puts them in the same ball park. Faustus is slightly more floral, but still masquline.

Oh my goodness. This looks like fun - so here goes my first post!

My Fav's: Kyoto, Tezcatlipoca, Kitsune-Tsuki, Scherezade, Caterpillar

I'm most interested in anything NOT in the general catalog, since I hate investing in a big bottle I might not like. Any recs?

Hi VetchVesper :wave:

Not sure what you meant by "Not in the general catalogue", as the GC scents can be ordered as imps, which means you sample them before committing to a big bottle. Anyway, my recommendations will fall into both categories, GC and limited editions. Fair warning: I have just started catching up after a hiatus of several years, so I apologise in advance if some of the general catalogues have been discontinued since I last was truly active!

For Kyoto: you could try Kabuki (GC - Ars Amatoria), although it is a sweeter, heavier scent, what with the cherry and red musk. If you like the idea of florals + anise/liquorice, I would recommend La Befana (LE - predominently sugared violet + liquorice on me). If you want to try something more complex, Aquarius (2007 LE) is one of my favourites, and it has an airy feel to it that is somewhat reminiscent of the lightness of Kyoto.

For Kitsune-Tsuki: Budding Moon, Dragon Moon (LE from a while back - 2006-2007, maybe?), or many of the Chinese New Year scents- of these, I have only tried Fire Pig (LE), which was quite fruity, but then again I do amp the fruit in Kitsune-Tsuki too...

On me, The Caterpillar is nothing both bold patchouli and lazy incense. My other favourite patchouli blend is Anne Bonny (GC), so this would be my recommendation. It has a pretty different feel though - a much more active and bolder scent than The Caterpillar for sure, but the red patchouli note is just fantastic...

I hope this helps!

My turn! My enduring favourites are:

- Bakeneko

- Khandita

- Golden Priapus

- Red Lantern

- Arcana layered with Snake Oil (OK, I know that's cheating :lol: Basically, if someone can recommend a sweet, bold scent with a layer of herbal or forest-like crispness, that would be fantastic. Other favourites in this category are Snow White, Snow Bunny, Pontarlier, etc.)

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Ishtar

Hey Ishtar!

If you are looking for a sweet bold scent with a forest thing going on you should try Third Charm.

For Red Lantern I think that Khajuraho has a similar vibe.

For Golden Priapus, maybe Tombstone or Stimulating Sassafrass Strengthener

I haven't tried the other two but looking at some notes it seems you like complex scents with sweet woodiness. Maybe try Ruddy Daggerwing?

Hi AlectoFurious! Wow, many thanks for the great recommendations!

I have had my eye on Third Charm for a while now, but of the ones you listed, I have only tried (and do love) Tombstone. I look forward to trying the others :smile:

Yes, I love complex scents and tend to gravitate towards the warm, sweet ones. On me, Bakeneko and Khandita are pretty spicy, but the fuzzy warmth of the dark musk grounds them beautifully :wub:

Hi Ishtar. Thanks for the recs. :-)

I guess my wording was a bit weird. I meant I wanted LE recommendations since you have to buy the big bottle! I've smelled Anne Bonny, and it was nice but a bit too strait up patchouli for me. Kabuki is on my list & I'm not sure if I can find the older LE's, but I'll definitely look into them. La Befana sounds intriguing though! The Lab doesn't tell you those "holiday sweets" are licorice. Might have to scrounge for that one.

I haven't smelled Golden Priapus, but it sounds a bit like Prosperous Flowers of the Elegant Twelve Seasons (LE), part of Lupercalia 2015. There's a sweetness to it, but also a woody/ resinousness that some people describe as cedar but reminds me more of sandalwood - and of course, the yummy patchouli.

For your Snake Oil/ Arcana combo you might try Voodoo. (GC) The almond, myrrh, and vanilla give it a sweetness, but the background's very foresty.

Edited by VetchVesper

Thank you very much for the additional recommendations!

Voodoo is one of my staple blends - I don't necessarily wear it very often, but I like to keep it on hand for whenever a hankering for pine + lime + vanilla hits. It is certainly one of the most interesting / unique blends in my collection :smilenod:

On me, Golden Priapus is a fairly gender-neutral, rather bracing vanilla blend. The woodsiness is there, but the vanilla is definitely predominant, without it being fluffy or gourmand. I find it eminently wearable, and it's my everyday, go-to vanilla blend, the way I guess Snake Oil is for many people. Now I look forward to my decant of Prosperous Flowers even more!

Re: buying older LEs, I am actually finding it easier to track them down these days, and blends that used to be considered rare a few years ago can now be had at reasonable prices. La Befana in particular pops up in sales thread on a semi-regular basis, so there's hope yet! :smile:

Oh gosh... it's so hard to pick a top five.... hmm.. I guess:

-Druid

-Planting Moon

-Lawful

-Dracul

-Wulfric the Wolfman

I would love recommendations! And I will try my best to rec scents for others as well. ^_^

Edited by Laathspell

-Druid

-Planting Moon

-Lawful

-Dracul

-Wulfric the Wolfman

I would love recommendations! And I will try my best to rec scents for others as well. ^_^

Hi there!

If you enjoy Druid and Lawful, you might want to give the other foresty RPG scents a go: Ranger and Elf might be up your alley!

Also, for Druid, Black Forest or Nocnitsa, if you can find it, although they are darker, more ominous forest scents.

Something about Planting Moon reminds me vaguely of Tanuki No Doke Daruma, so you might want to try that, too :smile:

Hello! As a newbie to the Lab and the forums, here are my favorite 5 scents (so far), and I am hoping to get some recommendations from those wiser than me.

Elf, Bewitched, Pele, Jareth, and Villain

Hello! As a newbie to the Lab and the forums, here are my favorite 5 scents (so far), and I am hoping to get some recommendations from those wiser than me.

Elf, Bewitched, Pele, Jareth, and Villain

Hello and welcome to the world of BPAL :wave:

I would say if you love Jareth, you definitely need to check out Dorian! They are both really beautiful and in the fougere family. Dorian is a bit more gourmand than Jareth because of the vanilla tea, but I think you would dig it :)

In my opinion, Elf and Bewitched share an atmosphere of woodland magic. If you'd like to try a slightly darker woodland scent, I can recommend Black Forest. And for a more realistic "forest" scent, Druid is a good choice.

Aside from that, I think a scent like Lady Macbeth has something in common with Bewitched, although Bewitched is fresher.

If you like Villain, you should check out Whitechapel; they share several notes. You might also enjoy Embalming Fluid.

I hope you find lots to enjoy :D

ETA Forgot to add, Lawful is slightly reminiscent of Elf as well!

Edited by Aviatrix

My current top five in random order are:

1. Tombeur

2. Nosferatu

3. Penny Dreadful

4. Lighting (Dirty is good too)

5. Snake Oil

Thank you for recommendations to help me explore and discover other scents!

Current Top 5:

1. Eat Me

2. Dana O'Shee

3. Snake Oil

4. Black Pearl

5. Coyote

Only tried about 20, so it will be interesting to see how this changes over time. :)

Wow definitely some changes in the past few months.. and it was almost impossible to just choose 5.

1. Snow White

2. El Dia de los Reyes

3. Lyonesse

4. The Fruit of Paradise

5. Velvet

-Druid

-Planting Moon

-Lawful

-Dracul

-Wulfric the Wolfman

Hi there!

If you enjoy Druid and Lawful, you might want to give the other foresty RPG scents a go: Ranger and Elf might be up your alley!

Also, for Druid, Black Forest or Nocnitsa, if you can find it, although they are darker, more ominous forest scents.

Something about Planting Moon reminds me vaguely of Tanuki No Doke Daruma, so you might want to try that, too :smile:

Thank you so much!!! I will definitely be on the lookout for those! ^_^

Wow definitely some changes in the past few months.. and it was almost impossible to just choose 5.

1. Snow White

2. El Dia de los Reyes

3. Lyonesse

4. The Fruit of Paradise

5. Velvet

Snow White: Go to Sleep Darlings, Paladin, Dana O'Shee, Okayaki, Braving the Ice

El Dia de los Reyes: Miskatonic U, Destructive Vagina of the Fox Spirit, Bengal, Mayan Chocolate with Annatto Seed, Anaheim Pepper, Cinnamon and Vanilla Bean

Lyonesse: Mouse's Long and Sad Tale, Tamora, Dorian, Y'ha-Nthlei

The Fruit of Paradise: LA MORT: Mon ironie dépasse toutes les autres!, Chanukkiyah, Ezekiel's Phoenix, Persephone, Seeds of the Pomegranate, Leaves of the Poppy

Velvet: Atlas, Intrigue, How Doth the Little Crocodile, Cthulhu in Love, Black Pearl

1. Snow White

2. El Dia de los Reyes

3. Lyonesse

4. The Fruit of Paradise

5. Velvet

Snow White: Go to Sleep Darlings, Paladin, Dana O'Shee, Okayaki, Braving the Ice

El Dia de los Reyes: Miskatonic U, Destructive Vagina of the Fox Spirit, Bengal, Mayan Chocolate with Annatto Seed, Anaheim Pepper, Cinnamon and Vanilla Bean

Lyonesse: Mouse's Long and Sad Tale, Tamora, Dorian, Y'ha-Nthlei

The Fruit of Paradise: LA MORT: Mon ironie dépasse toutes les autres!, Chanukkiyah, Ezekiel's Phoenix, Persephone, Seeds of the Pomegranate, Leaves of the Poppy

Velvet: Atlas, Intrigue, How Doth the Little Crocodile, Cthulhu in Love, Black Pearl

Thank you so much! I've tried a bunch of these but there are some I haven't heard of. :)

My top 5 would be:

Snake Oil

Midnight Kiss

Vixen

So Below

Red Rose (bptp)

Recs would be awesome!

ziggystardust - I know it's been a while since you posted this, but as soon as I read your list I thought of Lucy, Kissed - it was an LE from the Trading Post, but you should be able to track some down :smile:

Lucy, Kissed

Diabolical voluptuousness, a siren song from the grave: juniper and yew brushing against blackened violets and funeral roses, red musk and hot blood, veined white marble and icy, brittle musk, all pulsing with the sinister, hypnotic scent of patchouli, amber, oude, and cubeb.

I know that might sound like an odd mix, but it's a deep warm and sensual patch/musk/smokdy rose - kind of like Snake Oil + Vixen + Midnight Kiss + Rose Red had some sort of illicit romp and Lucy, Kissed is the feral lovechild borne of their tryst :smile:

Reviews here.

My top 5 would be:

Snake Oil

Midnight Kiss

Vixen

So Below

Red Rose (bptp)

Recs would be awesome!

ziggystardust - I know it's been a while since you posted this, but as soon as I read your list I thought of Lucy, Kissed - it was an LE from the Trading Post, but you should be able to track some down :smile:

Lucy, Kissed

Diabolical voluptuousness, a siren song from the grave: juniper and yew brushing against blackened violets and funeral roses, red musk and hot blood, veined white marble and icy, brittle musk, all pulsing with the sinister, hypnotic scent of patchouli, amber, oude, and cubeb.

I know that might sound like an odd mix, but it's a deep warm and sensual patch/musk/smokdy rose - kind of like Snake Oil + Vixen + Midnight Kiss + Rose Red had some sort of illicit romp and Lucy, Kissed is the feral lovechild borne of their tryst :smile:

Reviews here.

My top 5 would be: Snake Oil Midnight KissVixen So Below Red Rose (bptp) Recs would be awesome!

ziggystardust - I know it's been a while since you posted this, but as soon as I read your list I thought of Lucy, Kissed - it was an LE from the Trading Post, but you should be able to track some down :smile: Lucy, KissedDiabolical voluptuousness, a siren song from the grave: juniper and yew brushing against blackened violets and funeral roses, red musk and hot blood, veined white marble and icy, brittle musk, all pulsing with the sinister, hypnotic scent of patchouli, amber, oude, and cubeb. I know that might sound like an odd mix, but it's a deep warm and sensual patch/musk/smokdy rose - kind of like Snake Oil + Vixen + Midnight Kiss + Rose Red had some sort of illicit romp and Lucy, Kissed is the feral lovechild borne of their tryst :smile: Reviews here.
Omg. I thought it already sounded lovely, but the way you described it.... :thud: I have never even heard of this one until now! Thanks sooo much Edited by ziggystardust13

Omg. I thought it already sounded lovely, but the way you described it.... :thud: I have never even heard of this one until now! Thanks sooo much

Oh you're very welcome! It's funny - not many people know about Lucy, Kissed.. I think it was one of those things that got a bit lost amongst the big lot of Halloween releases that year, but I think it's quite a masterpiece :smile: I hope you're able to find some, and when you do... I hope you like it!