Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ella LaRose

If your top 5 scents are... Then try these!

Hmm... this looks like fun. I wish I had more suggestions for folks but I guess I haven't tried as many as I thought.

My top five:

Quincy Morris

Ruddy Daggerwing

Occupy Wallstreet

Mandrake

Eve (OLLA)

Honorable mention to Masquerade, Peach VII and Black Annis

Edited by Ilex

I like sooo much

Mouse's long and sad tale, really I feel so confident with it...I like its velvety and roundness,

Dorian for the same reason

Self Portrait,

Midnwinter's eve

Tamano no mae...

So if I like these, what do you suggest to try more in the same vein?

Edited by Elmifra

for MLAST: try aureus (GC), or Lady in a Speckled Pink Kimono (Luper, 2011 I think?)

Dorian: Roses, Pearls, and Diamonds, Black Pearl, Embalming Fluid, Snake Oil (all GC), White Rose (LE)

Midwinter's Eve: Bathsheba or Bordello (both GC)

I'm new to BPAL, but can I have a shot?

So far, these are my favorites:

1. Le Serpent Qui Danse/Snake Oil (the best vanilla scents ever)
  2. Queen of Sheba
  3. El Dorado
  4. Brisingamen
  5. Pele

Honorable mentions for Poisoned Apple, Belladonna, and Mary Shelley

Any recommendations for me?

I'm such a noob, I wish I could help out on this thread, but I'm clueless.

I would, however, take any recs anyone wants to offer, though :blush2:

I freaked out for Morocco and Lyonesse both. Those 2 make me drool. Big bottles are already ordered.

I also like - Dragon's Milk, Neutral and Scherezade.

I'm wondering, would I like Haloes at all? (from what I understand, that one can only be found at retail locations? Not sure how I could make that happen.. There was one on the swap board that I noticed today but when I went back for it, it was gone. You snooze, you lose!)

I generally like creamy, spicy, warm, I guess. I never thought I was a vanilla fan, but Morocco and Lyonesse really changed my mind.

I have imps on the way of Dorian and Perversion, but obviously haven't smelled those yet.

I'm also thinking about possibly, The Lion?

And/or maybe Liz?

I freaked out for Morocco and Lyonesse both. Those 2 make me drool. Big bottles are already ordered.

I'm wondering, would I like Haloes at all? (from what I understand, that one can only be found at retail locations? Not sure how I could make that happen.. There was one on the swap board that I noticed today but when I went back for it, it was gone. You snooze, you lose!)

I generally like creamy, spicy, warm, I guess. I never thought I was a vanilla fan, but Morocco and Lyonesse really changed my mind.

I have imps on the way of Dorian and Perversion, but obviously haven't smelled those yet.

And/or maybe Liz?

If you like Lyonesse, you should try Lady Death: Savage. It's like a more complex, elegant version of Lyonesse.

Since you like warm and spicy scents, you might like Bengal, and you should also definitely try Chimera. Chimera smells like cinnamon and creamy vanilla, I think it'd be right up your alley. And don't forget Snake Oil, if you haven't tried it yet!

Teaker, thanks so much! I'm adding all of those to my list to check out. I do already have Snake Oil - I like it but I think I'll like it even more aged. (?)

Lady Death: Savage sounds like something I would definitely like. I probably never would've looked at that one on my own.

Thank you again! :cheers:

2. Queen of Sheba
  3. El Dorado
  4. Brisingamen
  5. Pele

Looks like you like amber in your scents and aren't afraid of vanilla, if you can do honey you should try "O" which is amber and honey with vanilla. Also, maybe Tamora and The Lion which are lovely amber based scents. Also, check out the notes/reviews for Verdandi, The Fox sisters, Desire, and Beauty the Aggrieved.

Beatrix, you might try Mouse's Long and Sad Tale. It's warm and creamy and utterly snuggly - not much on the spicy front, but with enough complexity to keep it interesting.

Beatrix, you might try Mouse's Long and Sad Tale. It's warm and creamy and utterly snuggly - not much on the spicy front, but with enough complexity to keep it interesting.

Snuggly is definitely good! I've read a lot of nice things about that one. It goes on the list. Thanks!

2. Queen of Sheba
  3. El Dorado
  4. Brisingamen
  5. Pele

Looks like you like amber in your scents and aren't afraid of vanilla, if you can do honey you should try "O" which is amber and honey with vanilla. Also, maybe Tamora and The Lion which are lovely amber based scents. Also, check out the notes/reviews for Verdandi, The Fox sisters, Desire, and Beauty the Aggrieved.

Thank you so much! Tamora and Verdandi are now on my list! I really appreciate your suggestions!

Hello!

My favourites so far are The Antikytheria Mechanism, No.93 Engine, The White Rider, and Enraged Bunny Musk. I'm not sure if it helps but some I have disliked are 'Tis The Voice of the Lobster, Al-Azif, and Undertow.

Hello!

My favourites so far are The Antikytheria Mechanism, No.93 Engine, The White Rider, and Enraged Bunny Musk. I'm not sure if it helps but some I have disliked are 'Tis The Voice of the Lobster, Al-Azif, and Undertow.

If you liked Antikythera Mechanism, you might also enjoy Tombstone.

I was also thinking you might like Brisingamen, and some of the other Steamworks scents like Aelopile or Galvanic Goggles.

I hope you find some good ones to try! :)

And/or maybe Liz?

French Love reminds me of Dragons Milk but without the strong vanilla base {which verges as plastic on me when fresh/wet}. Same vibe

spicy creamy warm scents: pepper, defututa, pickled imp when the carnival comes back, bastet, mama ji always reminds me of morocco but more floral, le lethe and almost anything with carnation will be a spicy creamy scent. Alice if you like roses as well and Bathsheba has depth due to plum.

with the exception of pickled imp I picked all gc scents for you. The lab has tons of lovely snuggly scents with vanilla and or amber as base.

Edited by elka

^^^ Thank you, elka - I'm going to investigate all of your suggestions. I am finding that carnation is one of my top-favorite notes.

I totally second Pepper, it's creamy and beautiful. Another creamy scent is Al Azif. I would also suggest Night Raven if you love Scheherazade.

Edited by stellamaris

^^^ Thank you, elka - I'm going to investigate all of your suggestions. I am finding that carnation is one of my top-favorite notes.

I came to BPAL as a long time carnation wearing gal. In the 80s {and I mean early 80's} I wore the carnation sn that was available at those scent your own places, along with the carnation glycerin soap, and scented shampoo, conditioner, lotion purchased as said places. In the 90's I wore Bellodgia which is a floriental created in the 20s put out by Caron. I wore that, and the scent your own places offerings until 2005 when I got tired of trying to hunt down Bellodgia and a fellow knitter mentioned BPAL. I started with all the carnation scents I could find. Thankfully there is a thread http://www.bpal.org/topic/21410-carnations/ although I started by searching for Bellodgia {or bellogia as some spell it} in the http://www.bpal.org/topic/30307-looking-for-a-bpal-that-resembles-a-favorite-perfume/ thread but HUH I cannot find any reference to Bellodgia and I could swear one of my first posts was in there asking for suggestions.

Anyway you might also want to try things like blood amber. It is delightfully creamy and lush. BPAL is a wonderland.

@ stellamaris and elka - thanks again for so many great suggestions. There's so much to try, but this helps me weed things out. I'm learning...

And an entire thread about carnation - perfect!

I have tried several more oils since I last posted here, so I'm back with another top five!

Jolly Roger

White Rabbit

The Death-horse

Kubla Khan

Light and Swift

Gosh, I am so out of the loop with BPAL, I've been on a forced hiatus from it for a good few years now (gosh darn children) but from your list I would suggest Tombstone, it's got the same warm rugged feel that Kubla Khan has, or if you can get hold of it then The Wild men of Jezirat al Tennyn. White Rabbit didn't work with me, but maybe try Dorian, I remember a similar feel to them. Jolly Roger, hmm, maybe to keep in the vein of pirates, Calico Jack or Anne Bonny. I am afraid I haven't come across The Death-horse or Light and Swift before, so can't suggest what might be similar.

My enduring top five are (It is so hard to pick just five)

Haunted

Kuang Shi

Velvet

Snow White

Sudha Segara

I have tried several more oils since I last posted here, so I'm back with another top five!

Jolly Roger

White Rabbit

The Death-horse

Kubla Khan

Light and Swift

Have you tried Belle Epoque (Sweet opium, Lily of the Valley, vanilla, mandarin and red sandalwood)? It's kind of like a hybrid between Kubla and Death-Horse. Kagema (Himalayan cedar, rum absolute, bay leaf, teakwood, orange peel, wooly thyme, and tobacco absolute) is like the ultimate "sexy pirate" scent to me and it also has an orange note that's brighter but similar to the mandarin in KK. Geisha in Orange Kimono Admiring a Samurai (King mandarin, tuberose, white sandalwood, white moss, yerba mate, tangerine, and styrax) would be a good one for you as well.

For Light and Swift, there's a similar lavender in Capax Infiniti even though it doesn't have the citrus (A scent warmed by a whole lot of love: honey-snuggled skin musk, sweet vanilla ice cream residue, and lavender oil, with a gentle hint of Dorian). Embalming Fluid (A light, pure scent: white musk, green tea, aloe and lemon) is a popular soft lemon blend. I second Dorian, too.

My enduring top five are (It is so hard to pick just five)

Haunted

Kuang Shi

Velvet

Snow White

Sudha Segara

Welcome back to the forum!

Go to Sleep, Darlings (
Kiss-soft clouds of spun-sugar snow) was a Yule LE that came out that's very similar to Snow White, but I actually like it more (less floral and softer overall).

For something similar to Velvet, try Atlas (Mallow, oak bark, coffee bean, hinoki wood, and khus). It's a delicious combo of soft mallow and incense-y woods. I actually think you should give How Doth the Little Crocodile (Chocolate peppermint, mint-soaked vanilla, pistachio, oakmoss, and green cedar) a shot, too. I know it sounds weird as hell (at least I thought it did), but the mint is really sedated and it's surprisingly in the same vein. To me it wears like a musky vanilla backed by warm woods - with the bonus of chocolate!

Kuang Shi - I think you should look at Geisha in Orange Kimono as well. It's a surprisingly underrated mandarin blend. Really fresh and beautiful.

Pumpkin I (Pumpkin cream with cardamom, black tea, allspice, and ginger milk) is as close as I can think to Sudha Segara... it's kind of like a pumpkin latte, but it does have that soothing vibe about it. You could also go with Bengal (Skin musk with honey, peppers, clove, cinnamon bark and ginger), which smells almost exactly like chai tea to me.

Edited by Balame

Alrighty, this should be interesting. My enduring top five would have to be:

- Paduan Killer Swarm

- Golden Priapus

- Whoso List To Hunt

- Brown Jenkin

- Dana O' Shee

Edited by VagueInnuendo

Because I gave some recs but didn't ask for any.

Top 5, in no order:

Adam (OLLA)

Placopobia

Hallowee'en 1914

Tattie Boggle

Black Rider