Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ella LaRose

If your top 5 scents are... Then try these!

Ooh, cool, I could use some help! (unfortunately I don't get to usually experiment with a ton of perfumes, and usually get attached to things which are either LE's or discontinued....) My top 5 (in order of love) right now would be:

Moon Rose

Strawberry moon 12' (but after it's calmed and become less fresh/sugary)

Hope

Morocco

Katrina Van Tassle

Please help! :)

Ooh, cool, I could use some help! (unfortunately I don't get to usually experiment with a ton of perfumes, and usually get attached to things which are either LE's or discontinued....) My top 5 (in order of love) right now would be:

Moon Rose

Hope

Morocco

Katrina Van Tassle

It's also an LE (I know, sorry!) but if you like Katrina Van Tassle then you may like Abhisarika from the Lupercalia '07 update: Damascus rose, African orchid, cream accord, and Kashmir musk. And I find Queen of Sheba to be very similar to Morocco, with just a little bit of an underlying nut note: Her scent is a bounty of golden honeyed almonds and a whisper of African and Middle Eastern spices.

Here are my current five!

Noche Buena (the light, uplifting incense of the Misa de Noche Buena, purple sage, and a vibrant bouquet of plumeria, chrysanthemum, tuberose, Angel's Trumpet, Mexican tiger lily, dahlia, and azucenas.)

Stardust (champagne, hyacinth, tuberose, ylang ylang and flashing white musk with jonquil, tobacco flower, white sandalwood and a pale poppy.)

Pele (muguet and Hawaiian white ginger enveloped by warm, damp tropical blooms.)

51 (green mandarin, neroli, honeydew, white amber, guava, freesia, white and green musks hovering over desert scrub, smashed wood, and the dry, biting scent of night air over the Groom Lake salt flats.)

A Winter Dawn (pearlescent pink grapefruit, neroli, helichrysum, freesia, white mandarin, and rockrose rising behind a dapple of snowflakes.)

Oh, this is neat!

My current top five, in no particular order:

Autumn Lace

Wolf Spider

The Ghost Children

Redoul Honey

Port Royal

I'm not completely familiar with a lot of the blends in the other posts for apologies for not recommending anything at the moment!

Since I am a sweet French tobacco addict I can help you with some autumn lace loves! Like perversion, variety of easing amusements. Also want to add womb furie.

Also look for silver stream, holy water, and the best is llaidan and cuthuir, you may like her voice too.

Thank you for all the recs! I'm surprised I've never looked into A Variety of Pleasing Amusements in particular, that looks like my kind of blend. :-)

My top picks switch around a bit depending on my mood, but these always get along with me:

1. Atlas ... Mallow, oak bark, coffee bean, hinoki wood, and khus.

2. French Tobacco SN ... A very faint citrus-like twang and an almost animalic caramel richness.

3. Black Pearl ... Coconut, Florentine iris, hazelnut and opalescent white musk

4. Satan & Death with Sin Intervening ... Opoponax, benzoin, orange blossom, mahogany, karakarounde, white tea and vetiver.

4. White Rider ... White leather and sandalwood.

We sound like we have similar tastes, so I'm going to list the others I love that you might enjoy without comment on how similar they are to what you already like (I'm leaving out obvious florals though):

Tombstone

Xiuhtecuhtli

Lady Death: Savage

My Current Top Five:

So Below

Hope and Fear Set Free

Olisbos 2013 (it's gone now, but it WAS in my top five before I ran out)

Badgers

Voyeuristic Monkey

Tzi

Edited by tziporra

Oooh how fun! I'm not much good at recommending, there's still a lot I haven't tried (plus I'm truly awful at picking out notes).

My top 5 (hard to pick just 5!) in no order are:

1. Midway Resurrected

2. Follow Me Boy

3. Lionheart (TAL)

4. Sprinklecake

5. Monsterbait: Bigger Critters

Based on #1, 4 and 5 (haven't tried the others), I'd recommend Eat Me (I love foody scents and don't care for it, but still, it's really popular), Tamora, Bread-and-Butterfly, and Huesos de Santo.

I'll have to try those, thank you!

Thank you Ella, BoneBone and tziporra for the recs. I've tried several of those with varying levels of success (Lady Death: Savage, Dee and Variety of Pleasing Amusements are all favorites as well) but some of those I haven't considered and sound tempting. The Organ Grinder and Xiuhtecuhtli seem intriguing in particular.

So far I've loved:

Penitence

Hope and Fear Set Free

Plunder

Maiden

Roses, Pearls and Diamonds

Frankincense, white tea, and coconut have all been surprise loves for me!

We like similar notes. Try Sheol, Golden Apple of the Sun and Midnight Mass for some beautiful frankincense blends.

A good boozy vanilla is Celeste, and I'd also recommend Tombstone, Snow White and/or Go to Sleep, Darlings. (Snow White and Go to Sleep have a bit of a coconut vibe in addition to the vanilla, btw.)

Oh my gosh - hunt down some Kagema for something similar to Plunder. It might come across a bit masculine, but I swear it's like the sexiest pirate ever.

Maiden is a bit too floral for me, but I'll reiterate Silence as a beautiful tea blend that also has a soft floral (iris). Definitely check out the popular Kumiho if you haven't already too.

Brown Jenkin is a nice, dusty coconut/orris. I have to put my fave coconut Black Pearl out there too. Intrigue is like chocolate coconut incense. Oh, and Raptures and Roses of Vice is a beautiful creamy rose coconut. Might be close to RPD.

Okay, I'll play - recommend away!

My favorites are:

1. Queen of Clubs

2. Lady Lilith

3. Temple of the Loas

4. Mrs. Grose

5. Sybaris

I haven't tried Queen but it sounds a lot like La Mort. It's a really yummy rose incense with the juiciness of pomegranate.

Red musk and tea for Lady, hrm. Have you tried Semiramis? It doesn't have any florals but it's a nice red musk + red fruit blend.

I have no idea what Temple smells like, but from the reviews it seems like a creamy, tropical rose? Raptures and Roses of Vice might be good for you as well.

For a spicier rose maybe Forgive Us Our Virtues. And I can't comment on Sybaris because violet and cloves sound like death to me. :P

My top 5 scents would be:

1. Noir

2. Chrysanthemum Moon

3. Morocco

4. Antique Lace

5. Ecstasy Passion

hmmm any thoughts?

I would love some suggestions even if I'm sorry I'm not enough of an expert to recommend much.

The top five that I'm most intrigued by right now:

1. Raven Moon

2. Black Rider

3. Body Remember

4. The Antikythera Mechanism

5. Totentanz

Okay, I'll play - recommend away!

My favorites are:

1. Queen of Clubs

2. Lady Lilith

3. Temple of the Loas

4. Mrs. Grose

5. Sybaris

I'm afraid I don't know most of those, but if you enjoy Mrs. Grose, maybe you'd also like White Rabbit, which is another very nice black tea blend. On me, Mrs. Grose is heavy on the cinnamon. If you like the spicy aspect, maybe you'd want to try Playful Wooden Mallets, which is cinnamon and musk. It's very good. :yum:

Anyway, my top 5 are (in no particular order):

1. Picture Books in Winter

2. Mouse's Long and Sad Tale

3. Snow White

4. Alice

5. La Befana

What are your thoughts?

Anyway, my top 5 are (in no particular order):

1. Picture Books in Winter

2. Mouse's Long and Sad Tale

3. Snow White

4. Alice

5. La Befana

What are your thoughts?

I love Mouse's, SW, and Alice. If you can find it, I would recommend Clockwork Couture: Female for Mouse's- to me they are super similar, except CC has a lovely girly leather. For Snow White, Go To Sleep Darlings and Tiki Princess are must-tries in the same vein. And if you haven't tried Snow White '07, it is my favorite vintage by far. If Alice works on you, give Deadly Nightshade Honey a shot. You also may want to look for Klara and Comforting Plush Companion. Also Lilith Victoria and Joyful Moon would probably be up your alley. (Sorry some of these are hard to find!)

I would love some suggestions even if I'm sorry I'm not enough of an expert to recommend much.

1. Raven Moon

2. Black Rider

3. Body Remember

5. Totentanz

All of these scents are sort of in the same vein as listed, so I'll just make some broad recs. Kroenen is a dark, elegant and incense-y leather with a touch of metallic bite. Rigorous Love reminds me of Body, Remember. It's a bit lighter but has a similar soft, sweetened coconut.

Others that would fit with this lovely list are:

Leather Phoenix

Perversion

Haute Macabre

Old Demons of the First Class

Our Lady of Pain

Mircalla, Countess Karnstein

Moon Rose

Hope

Morocco

Katrina Van Tassle

It's also an LE (I know, sorry!) but if you like Katrina Van Tassle then you may like Abhisarika from the Lupercalia '07 update: Damascus rose, African orchid, cream accord, and Kashmir musk. And I find Queen of Sheba to be very similar to Morocco, with just a little bit of an underlying nut note: Her scent is a bounty of golden honeyed almonds and a whisper of African and Middle Eastern spices.

Thank you! I definitely added Abhisarika to my list, it does sound very pleasant! :lol:

Moon Rose

Hope

Morocco

Katrina Van Tassle

If you like Morocco, then you may like The Lion, Bastet or Coyote. Coyote is a personal favorite of mine. The amber behaves and doesn't turn to baby powder on me. I think these are all in the similar vein.

Moon Rose

Hope

Morocco

Katrina Van Tassle

If you like Morocco, then you may like The Lion, Bastet or Coyote. Coyote is a personal favorite of mine. The amber behaves and doesn't turn to baby powder on me. I think these are all in the similar vein.

Thank you for the suggestions! I have tried Bastet and it sadly did not work out on me (too much like sweet incense), but I have not tried The Lion or Coyote! They are now on my list to try. :D

I seems to favour a somewhat different scent profile than most of the people already playing along, but what the heck:

1) Spinning Multicoloured Metallic Pinwheel

2) Embalming Fluid

3) Boober

4) Strawberry Moon '09 (with the grass and dandelion sap)

5) Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Bat

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

If you like bright fizzy scents with fruity aspects, maybe Bon Vivant or Croquet? The Phoenix At Dawn would be good if you also do florals.

I seems to favour a somewhat different scent profile than most of the people already playing along, but what the heck:

2) Embalming Fluid

3) Boober

Maybe Shoggoth? I find it similar to Embalming Fluid, but with a sweeter/fruitier kick from the lime and coconut meat.

1. Raven Moon

2. Black Rider

3. Body Remember

5. Totentanz

All of these scents are sort of in the same vein as listed, so I'll just make some broad recs. Kroenen is a dark, elegant and incense-y leather with a touch of metallic bite. Rigorous Love reminds me of Body, Remember. It's a bit lighter but has a similar soft, sweetened coconut.

Others that would fit with this lovely list are:

Leather Phoenix

Perversion

Haute Macabre

Old Demons of the First Class

Our Lady of Pain

Mircalla, Countess Karnstein

Thank you so much Balame! I have and enjoy Perversion and Mircalla. Rigorous Love i did try, but it was too heavy on the lemongrass. I will definitely check out the others you have suggested! :)

2) Embalming Fluid

3) Boober

I'd suggest Titania especially, also Bon Vivant and 51, and for LE's Lilith's Tea Party, Earth Ox, and maybe Selkie.

This is so fun! Here's mine (with some slight cheating)

1. Fairy Market

2. Snake Oil/Charmer/Boomslang (Snakes are my friends, it seems)

3. Snow White

4. Gennivre L'artiste Du Diable

5. Rose Red/Hope/Persephone (sweet roses are also my friends)

My top 5

1st of 3 spirits

Smut

Mouse’s Long and Sad Tale

Aged Snake Oil

Dragons Milk

Banshee Beat

Hon. mention

Lights of Men’s Lives

Edit: forgot to mention that I have not been doing this as long as everyone else so I don't give good recs. But would LOVE some from you all :)

Edited by Erinofhere

My top 5

1st of 3 spirits

Smut

Mouse’s Long and Sad Tale

Aged Snake Oil

Dragons Milk

Banshee Beat

Hon. mention

Lights of Men’s Lives

I too love Smut, Banshee Beat, and Snake Oil. Have you tried La Befana? It has a kind of caramelized sugar note that I find similar to the sugar in Smut. You might also like Black Temple Burlesque Troupe.

My top 5 are

Centzon Totochtin

Goblin Cider

Feed Me and Fill Me With Pleasure

Hope and Fear Set Free

Illuminati Cotillion

I'm still new and trying things out though, so my top picks are being shuffled around a lot. icon_biggrin.gif Al Azif would have been up there if I wrote the list a week ago, and I also just got my hands on Ossa Arida thanks to Ella LaRose, which may be replacing Hope and Fear, but not sure which I like better yet.

Edited by sixc

My top 5 right now are:

Braving The Ice

Sweet Lavinia's Dread Puddings

Ooky

Shortbread Snowflakes BO

Dorian in the Pumpkin Patch

I would love to hear more foodie recs!!! Also check my collection link to see other bottles I have so you don't recommend scents I already own. Thanks! ;)

My top 5 are

Centzon Totochtin

Goblin Cider

Feed Me and Fill Me With Pleasure

Hope and Fear Set Free

Illuminati Cotillion

I'm still new and trying things out though, so my top picks are being shuffled around a lot. icon_biggrin.gif Al Azif would have been up there if I wrote the list a week ago, and I also just got my hands on Ossa Arida thanks to Ella LaRose, which may be replacing Hope and Fear, but not sure which I like better yet.

Unfortunately, the only one I'm familiar with is Hope and Fear Set Free, but I would also have recommended Ossa Arida. :lol: Others with a similar vibe are La Lugubre Gondola and Hesiod's Phoenix, which is also resins and vanilla. :smile:

My top 5 right now are:

Braving The Ice

Sweet Lavinia's Dread Puddings

Ooky

Shortbread Snowflakes BO

Dorian in the Pumpkin Patch

I would love to hear more foodie recs!!! Also check my collection link to see other bottles I have so you don't recommend scents I already own. Thanks! ;)

If you like marzipan scents, Eclipse (A delicious blend of bitter almond, vanilla, frankincense and heliotrope, with a drop of cinnamon) might be worth trying. It's not a pure foody, but the bitter almond, vanilla, and heliotrope (technically a floral, but it has a nice soft cherry-almond quality) give it a nice gourmand edge.