Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ella LaRose

If your top 5 scents are... Then try these!

My top 5 are:

Tavern of Hell

R'Lyeh

Light of Men's Lives

No. 93 Engine

(aged) Defututa (less cinnamon-y, more tropical)

The only one I can speak for on this list is R'Lyeh - if it's the grapefruit factor you like, then I would suggest Night-Gaunt for another slightly offbeat take on that note.

My Top 5, if anyone can help!

Mary Read

Obatala

Boo (I have 2009)

Hesiod's Phoenix

Hellcat

Oh, this is neat!

My current top five, in no particular order:

Autumn Lace

Wolf Spider

The Ghost Children

Redoul Honey

Port Royal

I'm not completely familiar with a lot of the blends in the other posts for apologies for not recommending anything at the moment!

For you I would say Schmendrick, Lawful, Wings of Azrael, Bewitched, and Lamia.

My top 5 are:

Tavern of Hell

R'Lyeh

Light of Men's Lives

No. 93 Engine

(aged) Defututa (less cinnamon-y, more tropical)

Thank you for the recs! I've never tried any of those but they all look pretty good, Schmendrick in particular.

As for you, I'm only familiar with No. 93 Engine. I say try Hand of Glory if you like that one. :-)

The Temptation was really peach rice candy to my nose. Not nearly as sweet or heady as Aglaea, but quite nice. Maybe Josie might work for Aglaea? I really haven't got a clue about most of the others!

As for me, hmmm.

1. Kumiho

2. Lilith's Feel-Better Flowers

3. The Lilac Wood

4. Holiday Moon

5. The Unicorn

I completely missed The Temptation, might have to go poking around for that. Josie I think I tried and the floral notes amped to hell on me (yay). I just hope Aglaea never gets discontinued, since it's *the* peach scent that really works on me. :lol:

Regarding your list, have you tried The East? To me it's got a very lovely true flowering-meadow-in-spring scent to it, might be another in the same family as The Lilac Wood and The Unicorn for you. =) Summoning Stone Play Structure was similar in feel as well.

For Dracula, maybe Old Demons of the First Class, VILF or Crypt King (I know, that one's a PITA to find).

Mme. Moriarty I think might be a bit similar to Blood Kiss and Womb Furie. Or Pickled Imp.

Jareth for Knight. And it's not super similar but for some reason the soft rose from Seance coupled with the creamy hazel makes me think it's in the same line as Love.

Thanks for the suggestions! I've tried some of these, to varying results, but I hadn't really considered VILF and Seance at all before (the former maybe because I thought it'd be impossible to find). :D

I'm unfamiliar with the rest, but I think you might like Hope and Pink Snowballs very much if you like Love!

I tried a decant of Pink Snowballs from an unknown year and it went to straight-up plastic on me, which was a shame. Hope sounds promising! I don't know why I keep forgetting about that one.

I'm getting lots of great suggestions from this thread! I'd love some assistance with floral blends in particular. My top 5 are:

Butterflies, Flowers and Jewels Attending

Juliet

Let Revenant

Jingu

Chuparosa

Mary Read

Obatala

Boo (I have 2009)

Hesiod's Phoenix

Hellcat

How about Self-Portrait, Stimulating Sassafras Strengthener, or O?

I'm getting lots of great suggestions from this thread! I'd love some assistance with floral blends in particular. My top 5 are:

Juliet

Let Revenant

Jingu

Chuparosa

I'd suggest Endymion, Fairy Bites, and if you're open to something a bit darker, Tavern of Hell, which is like the darker, twisted sibling of Le Revenant.

Juliet

Let Revenant

Jingu

Chuparosa

I think you'd really enjoy Vain Sorceress and Summer Lace.

My top 5, in no real order:

1. Ladon - dragon’s blood resin, golden apple, apple blossom, white musk and hyacinth

2. Tobacco Honey

3. Chanukkiyah 2013 - Olive oil, beeswax, glowing amber, sweet sufganiyot, pomegranate, and fig

4. Thalia - Plumeria, pear and white champagne

5. Gomorrah - ripe fig, date and currant with black herbs

I've tried most of the GC apple scents, Poisoned Apple and Sjofn are my second favorites.

1. Ladon - dragon’s blood resin, golden apple, apple blossom, white musk and hyacinth

2. Tobacco Honey

3. Chanukkiyah 2013 - Olive oil, beeswax, glowing amber, sweet sufganiyot, pomegranate, and fig

I've tried most of the GC apple scents, Poisoned Apple and Sjofn are my second favorites.

For you I'd rec Ezekiel's Phoenix, The Vine, and The Black Apple of Saturn. :)

I'd suggest Endymion, Fairy Bites, and if you're open to something a bit darker, Tavern of Hell, which is like the darker, twisted sibling of Le Revenant.

Thank you for the suggestions! Fairy Bites and Vain Sorceress sound especially lovely. :)

2. Tobacco Honey

Based on Channukiyah and Gomorrah, I'd recommend Knave of Hearts, Hanging Gardens, and maybe Sugar Moon.

Oooh how fun! I'm not much good at recommending, there's still a lot I haven't tried (plus I'm truly awful at picking out notes).

My top 5 (hard to pick just 5!) in no order are:

1. Midway Resurrected

2. Follow Me Boy

3. Lionheart (TAL)

4. Sprinklecake

5. Monsterbait: Bigger Critters

Oooh how fun! I'm not much good at recommending, there's still a lot I haven't tried (plus I'm truly awful at picking out notes).

My top 5 (hard to pick just 5!) in no order are:

1. Midway Resurrected

2. Follow Me Boy

3. Lionheart (TAL)

4. Sprinklecake

5. Monsterbait: Bigger Critters

Based on #1, 4 and 5 (haven't tried the others), I'd recommend Eat Me (I love foody scents and don't care for it, but still, it's really popular), Tamora, Bread-and-Butterfly, and Huesos de Santo.

Thank you for the suggestions! Fairy Bites and Vain Sorceress sound especially lovely. :)

I tested Vain Sorceress today and I can vouch that it is indeed lovely!

Actually, if white florals work really well on you, I say try the Ghost Children and the Silver Stream. Both are absolutely gorgeous.

Oh, this is neat!

My current top five, in no particular order:

Autumn Lace

Wolf Spider

The Ghost Children

Redoul Honey

Port Royal

I'm not completely familiar with a lot of the blends in the other posts for apologies for not recommending anything at the moment!

Since I am a sweet French tobacco addict I can help you with some autumn lace loves! Like perversion, variety of easing amusements. Also want to add womb furie.

Also look for silver stream, holy water, and the best is llaidan and cuthuir, you may like her voice too.

Edited by Ella LaRose

1. Hellion V.2

2. Our Lady of Pain

3. A Thought From Propertius

4. The Soul of La Traviata

5. Coyote

Based on those, can you think of some I should try? And what is your top five for us to base our recommendations on?

For A Thought From Propertius, I found Siren to be a sweet apricot scent, though missing the pepper quality. Pandy (Fresh white musk, honeycomb, sweet apricot, elemi, orange blossom, and mischievous pink pepper) seems to have very similar notes, too. Xanthe, the Weeping Clown (Guava, orange peel, white pepper, spun sugar and apple blossom) and Tweedledee (Kumquat, white pepper, white tea and orange blossom) seem to have the fruit+pepper combo going on and they might also work. Katharina also has apricot (white musk with a trickle of bright, sharp apricot and orange blossom). I don't know about the others, I'm afraid!

My top picks switch around a bit depending on my mood, but these always get along with me:

1. Atlas ... Mallow, oak bark, coffee bean, hinoki wood, and khus.

2. French Tobacco SN ... A very faint citrus-like twang and an almost animalic caramel richness.

3. Black Pearl ... Coconut, Florentine iris, hazelnut and opalescent white musk

4. Satan & Death with Sin Intervening ... Opoponax, benzoin, orange blossom, mahogany, karakarounde, white tea and vetiver.

4. White Rider ... White leather and sandalwood.

I think Baobhan Sith is sort of like a grapefruit version of Kumiho. White Rabbit is a nice clean tea as well.

Haven't tried Feel-Better Flowers but I'd guess TKO or Fairy Bites might be similar. You'd probably like Capax Infiniti too.

The Lilac Wood sounds very green and the most fresh, grassy oil I've tried is probably The Passionate Shepherd to His Love.

Spirits of the Dead for Holiday Moon. Silence is really lovely if you can find it.

There's actually a whole thread dedicated to scents similar to The Unicorn! I think The East has its own thing going on but it does evoke a similar vibe. Same with Enchanted Wood Florist which seems to fit with your love of fresh scents.

Yeah, I saw the Unicorn thread! I actually just thought I'd throw it in there because, well, it is a favorite of mine, and it sort of helps show what I like. I definitely need to try The East, clearly! I have Enchanted Wood Florist and love it. :D I'll put Fairy Bites on my list, too (I do love Capax Infiniti!). And I clearly need to track down Spirits of the Dead and The Passionate Shepard to His Love (and Silence, if I can)--they all sound up my alley for sure.

1. Kumiho

2. Lilith's Feel-Better Flowers

3. The Lilac Wood

4. Holiday Moon

5. The Unicorn

Kumiho - perhaps Aizen-Myoo or Theodosius (slightly sharper version of Dorian on me) would be nice!

Lilith's Feel-Better Flowers - I'm not familiar with this blend, but you might like Gladdener of All Hearts, maybe.

The Unicorn - I'm another Unicorn lover (in fact the one that started the unicorn thread mentioned by Balame!) Fairy Market has the same crystalline gorgeousness for me but it's possibly a blend that's even harder to find. :c If you're a linden blossom lover like me, Boober and Cottonmouth sound like they could be wins! I've read that All They Had Seen, and All They Had Lost has similarities to The Unicorn as well. I especially like the sound of Leanan Sidhe, Rosalind and The Wild Swans at Coole as well.

Yes, I recognize you from there. :) Hi! Man, I really want to try Fairy Market, haha. Maybe someday! Do people think Cottonmouth with be coming back with Carnaval Diabolique when it returns? I do want to try Boober, though--I might have to put that in my next order!

I completely missed The Temptation, might have to go poking around for that. Josie I think I tried and the floral notes amped to hell on me (yay). I just hope Aglaea never gets discontinued, since it's *the* peach scent that really works on me. :lol:

Regarding your list, have you tried The East? To me it's got a very lovely true flowering-meadow-in-spring scent to it, might be another in the same family as The Lilac Wood and The Unicorn for you. =) Summoning Stone Play Structure was similar in feel as well.

The Temptation's note list seems quite floral, but I really got the peach rice candy feel from it rather than anything else. It might also work as a semi-dupe for Tamamo-no-Mae, now that I come to think of it. In terms of peach scents--I haven't tried Belle Vinu, but it has osmanthus, which sometimes smells like peach, and peach, too. Still, Aglaea has that thick honey and wine thing going on.

I clearly need to try The East! :) Hmm, Summoning Stone Play Structure sounds good, too. Thank you!

Juliet

Let Revenant

Jingu

Chuparosa

I don't know if it would turn out this way on anyone else, but the soon-to-be-discontinued Peitho on me is really reminiscent of Butterflies, Flowers, and Jewels--that same sweet base for a floral mixture sort of feeling. Maybe The Lilac Wood for Jingu? It's not exactly the same feeling, but it does have some of that light spring floral with a deeper base, too. It's not as complicated as Juliet, but Prague struck me as somewhat similar in feel? Some of the Dawn blends or The District might also have the sweet complicated floral feeling as Butterflies, Flowers, and Jewels, but I have to admit I haven't tried them yet! :lol: Still, they seem to be a good place to look for floral blends. For Le Revenant--maybe The Ghost? Haha, okay, I mean, synonymous names aside, they both seem to be complex white florals.

2. Tobacco Honey

I have to say, Ladon really really reminds me of The Fairies, the Bards of Ireland blend. They're very similar, though Ladon is a bit deeper and "redder" from the dragon's blood. And the Green Apple of Venus is a very sweet apple, not quite as fresh as Sjofn, but very much in the same bright sweet zone. Rapunzel in Ballpoint is more of a straight-up fresh appley apple, but it's also really nice. Those are all LE, of course!

Mary Read

Obatala

Boo (I have 2009)

Hesiod's Phoenix

Hellcat

We'll definitely try la lalugubre gondola, und wir der toten, they are amber and food amber blends!

I don't have a top 5 yet but I've learned I love these:

Alice

Kitsune-Tsuki

Suggestions?

Nice choices! Maybe Bordello for a different tone of plum from Kitsune-Tsuki, and Maiden or The Sea Foams Milk for things somewhat like Alice?

Mine:

1) Tamora

2) Obatala

3) Hollywood Babylon

4) Snake Oil

5) O

I don't really have any requests for recs at the moment, and for some reason, my laptop isn't letting me quote, so hopefully the ones who need to see my recs will see them:

If you love Totentanz (as I do), then I highly recommend Dragon's Heart. Dragon's Heart is sweeter than Totentanz, but I just bottle-sniffed them side by side, and they are in the same family for sure.

For those who love Womb Furie, Snake Oil, Snake Charmer, definitely give Tombeur a try! I love each one of these in its own way. wub2.gif

And seconding/thirding the Banshee Beat/Goblin recs!

Alice

Kitsune-Tsuki

Suggestions?

I would say if you like Alice then you might enjoy Youth's Disengagement available on the Century Guild site. It is a creamy marshmellow cherry scent.

I haven't tried Kitsune-Tsuki but I believe it is another cherry scent. I would recommend Black Phoenix (cherry and almond)for you.

Alice

Kitsune-Tsuki

Suggestions?

I find Kitsune-Tsuki similar to Egle in some ways--at least, in the florals with something else light and a bit unusual sort of way!

So far I've loved:

Penitence

Hope and Fear Set Free

Plunder

Maiden

Roses, Pearls and Diamonds

Frankincense, white tea, and coconut have all been surprise loves for me!

So far I've loved:

Penitence

Hope and Fear Set Free

Plunder

Maiden

Roses, Pearls and Diamonds

Frankincense, white tea, and coconut have all been surprise loves for me!

If you want a resin fix, you'd probably like Herodotus' Phoenix! For resins, coconut, and vanilla, Snake Charmer (and Snake Charmer Res.) have a list of WIN notes - it's DC and very popular, but comes up fairly regularly on the sales forum and eBay. Death Adder might be another choice for coconut (though that one might be harder to track down). Tattered Lace might also be up your alley. If you don't mind more rose, Ossa Arida's drawn a lot of comparisons to Hope and Fear Set Free.

Edited by vthesiren