Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Nymph87

Rose-ampers discuss. What rose scents can you wear?

So I love rose. But so far every oil I've tried turns to potpourri on me. As soon as the oil dries down any scent with rose in it seems to smell only if rose, with all the other notes being lost. I want to smell of rose, but I don't want rose to be the only thing people smell... I want to smell a bit more unique than a bowl of potpourri!

So those who amp rose, can you make some reccies? :)

So I love rose. But so far every oil I've tried turns to potpourri on me. As soon as the oil dries down any scent with rose in it seems to smell only if rose, with all the other notes being lost. I want to smell of rose, but I don't want rose to be the only thing people smell... I want to smell a bit more unique than a bowl of potpourri!

I can generally wear anything with white rose -- Joyful Moon, E'Ecole des Filles, Dream (Map of Dreams), Delight and Consternation (Luper).

Sometimes tea rose works -- Marie, London, Klara (Yule from a few years back)

And then, oddly, Wanda and Two Five Seven work for me. I have no idea why.

My skin loves rose. However I have noticed that I either get a lovely full-bodied rose, bubblegum, or a strong pickle scent. I am not quite in the know on the various types of roses used in perfumes, but am getting to know the differences as I try scents.

Turns to pickles on me: Maiden, Blood Rose, Moscow, Whip (more like floor cleaner), Wicked, Pink Snowballs (plastic pickles), Rapture, Ouija (or was that just rosewood?)

Bubblegum/candy: Titania, Harlot, Namaste, Ode on Melancholy

Full-bodied/layers: Belle Vinu (favorite bpal ever), Seance, London, Knave of Hearts, Jezebel (another favorite)

I have a lot of trouble with some of BPAL's roses--Maiden and Peacock Queen alike went to this slightly sour, powdery, almost scratchy rose scent to my nose--but Roses, Pearls, and Diamonds doesn't do that at all, and I love it. It strikes me as a sweet, fresh rose, though the other components definitely make it a not-just-rose scent.

Err hello... are you me? ;)

This is the exact same problem that I have with rose - and I actually love the smell of rose, I think that a gorgeous full-bodied red rose in the garden is one of the most magnificent smells in the world - but as a perfume note on my skin it just drowns out everything else :(

The only rose blends I've had any success with are Sibyl - lovely soft/dusky tea rose, but even that one is borderline too much rose sometimes - and Lucy, Kissed (BPTP) wherein the rose is no match for the patchouli/red musk/oude/etc. i have learned that black rose is occasionally OK, and sometimes the paler roses like white or pink might behave themselves, but overall rose is a bust for me. I think it's just a case of try everything you can - if you see something where the other notes are winners, you may get lucky... otherwise, like me, you'll just have to concede defeat and accept that rose is not your friend.

The only rose I can wear that doesn't turn into freakishly loud ROSE ROSE ROSE ROSE is Moroccan rose, and even then I have to apply cautiously. I mostly get my rose fix from The Body Shop's Moroccan rose body butter.

A lot of rose scents go wonky on me, but one I really love and wear frequently is the Turkish Village. The coffee and rose are balanced perfectly.

Yeah, the rose take over happens to me too. Patchouli is about the only thing that can tame it for me. Its really too bad, I like rose, especially a green fresh smelling rose.

I can generally wear anything with white rose -- Joyful Moon, E'Ecole des Filles, Dream (Map of Dreams), Delight and Consternation (Luper).

Sometimes tea rose works -- Marie, London, Klara (Yule from a few years back)

And then, oddly, Wanda and Two Five Seven work for me. I have no idea why.

Isn't that funny, Two Five and Seven hated me and so did Wanda (possibly not for the rose though in Wanda).

My skin loves rose. However I have noticed that I either get a lovely full-bodied rose, bubblegum, or a strong pickle scent. I am not quite in the know on the various types of roses used in perfumes, but am getting to know the differences as I try scents.

Turns to pickles on me: Maiden, Blood Rose, Moscow, Whip (more like floor cleaner), Wicked, Pink Snowballs (plastic pickles), Rapture, Ouija (or was that just rosewood?)

Bubblegum/candy: Titania, Harlot, Namaste, Ode on Melancholy

Full-bodied/layers: Belle Vinu (favorite bpal ever), Seance, London, Knave of Hearts, Jezebel (another favorite)

I do have the same trouble as you with Titania and being a person who amps leather I was hoping Whip would work... but nope... all rose.

I have a lot of trouble with some of BPAL's roses--Maiden and Peacock Queen alike went to this slightly sour, powdery, almost scratchy rose scent to my nose--but Roses, Pearls, and Diamonds doesn't do that at all, and I love it. It strikes me as a sweet, fresh rose, though the other components definitely make it a not-just-rose scent.

I do have Roses Pearls and Diamonds... I've only tested it once so far and only just the quick, rip into the package and test everything test. I will have to give it a proper go tomorrow.

Err hello... are you me? ;)

This is the exact same problem that I have with rose - and I actually love the smell of rose, I think that a gorgeous full-bodied red rose in the garden is one of the most magnificent smells in the world - but as a perfume note on my skin it just drowns out everything else :(

The only rose blends I've had any success with are Sibyl - lovely soft/dusky tea rose, but even that one is borderline too much rose sometimes - and Lucy, Kissed (BPTP) wherein the rose is no match for the patchouli/red musk/oude/etc. i have learned that black rose is occasionally OK, and sometimes the paler roses like white or pink might behave themselves, but overall rose is a bust for me. I think it's just a case of try everything you can - if you see something where the other notes are winners, you may get lucky... otherwise, like me, you'll just have to concede defeat and accept that rose is not your friend.

:lol: You have me intrigued with Lucy, Kissed. Patchouli hates me when it's not sweetened with other things but I generally love patchouli... Maybe this would be a good match!

The only rose I can wear that doesn't turn into freakishly loud ROSE ROSE ROSE ROSE is Moroccan rose, and even then I have to apply cautiously. I mostly get my rose fix from The Body Shop's Moroccan rose body butter.

I will have to check it out, thanks!

I am a major rose amper. Seance, Ouija and Othello are the only ones that tend to work on me.

So sad, as none of these work for me. :(

Yeah, the rose take over happens to me too. Patchouli is about the only thing that can tame it for me. Its really too bad, I like rose, especially a green fresh smelling rose.

Aw it's too bad. Is there anything you love and recommend?

I amp rose too, blends with rose at the front like Roses Pearls and Diamonds and Two Five and Seven are all screaming rose on my skin. I do well with blends that have the roses a bit more hidden like:

L'Ecole des Filles -orange blossom, ambergris, orris root, white rose, lemon balm, jonquil, carrot seed, and benzoin. About to be discontinued.

Desire (is great too especially aged) -bittersweet neroli, black patchouli and black musk, gilded by apple, bergamot, blood red rose, teak, and vanilla.

Whoso List to Hunt (snuggly rose) -Sensual brown musk, rich amber, English rose, oak bark, and moss. About to be discontinued.

Eldritch Dark -Black and red musks with honey, leather, and sugared black rose. LE

I amp rose, but then again, I love love love myself a pure rose so I adore simple rose blends like Whip, 2, 5 & 7 and Hope. For a more complex or subtler rose, you could try these blends:

Black Rose - Heavy, dark and floral: a blend of roses, with a touch of amber and musk.

Ode on Melancholy - Lavender and wisteria, heart-wrenching pale rose, desolate white sandalwood and thin, tear-streaked white musk.

Psyche - Bulgar rose, Chinese white musk, lavender, orchid and frankincense.

Venice - lemon, red currant, wisteria, red rose petals, heady jasmine, Florentine orris root, waterlily, red sandalwood, violet plum, and violet leaf.

Viola - Gentle tea rose, lilac, Calla Lily, and Somalian Rose layered over golden Peruvian amber, Spanish moss, red sandalwood, rosewood, and myrrh, with the lightest touch of Mandarin.

I liked the above blends a lot. There are enough complementary florals to temper the rose so it doesn't boom out of control.

There appears to be different "amping" symptoms. I'm one of the strong sour ones rather than the potpourri ones.

I can wear Roses, Pearls and Diamonds - Raptures and Roses of Vice - The Shadowy and the Sublime - Kali.

Tzi

So far the only ones that don't turn to grandma powder on me is rose red, st Foutain de Versailles ( incredible!) queen Venus and the red queen:)

Aged rose notes tend to be better on me than fresh ones - more likely to be smooth, rather than shrill or sour. (Or maybe time's just improved my skin chemistry :P)

I've found the very light rose in Pink Snowballs and the rosewater in Mrs. Grose from the Turn of the Screw collection to be pretty well-behaved.

I tend to amp rose and florals - sometimes it's just ROOOSE, other times it goes sour, and sometimes it's GREEN GREEN GREEN. :/ It depresses me because I LOVE rose and wish I could wear it all the time, hah.

Blends with rose that work or don't amp on me:

Love (LE) - Marshmallows and rose sugar with whipped vanilla cream and a hint of strawberry.

Harlot (GC) - Somalian rose, Moroccan rose and Bulgar rose with a sultry dribble of cinnamon.

Harvest Moon '13 (Lunacy) - Red roses and wild red leaves. (I don't like this blend because the "leaves" smell like celery on me, but the rose is GORGEOUS)

Baghdad (DC) - Amber, saffron and bergamot with mandarin, nutmeg, Bulgar rose, musk and sandalwood.

A Thought and a Legend Too Hideous for Sanity or Consciousness (LE) - Black rose, oudh, rosewood, and sea-kissed patchouli, and the smoke of a snuffed tallow candle.

L'Heure Verte (CD) - Spilled absinthe, scorched sugar cubes, opium smoke, lilac blossoms, and rose water.

Lilith's Bubblegum & Roses (LE) - A spray of pink roses, red rose petals, and pink sticky bubblegum!

The two best rose scents for me (another rose amper) are White Rose and Red Rose from the unity set. They may be a little harder to find but White Rose is a soft coconut rose and Red Rose, a spicy clove rose.

I amp rose to high heaven, and it's usually soapy on me. Scents that I've had at least some luck with are:

Joyful Moon (This is beautiful- I forget rose is even in there!)

Pink Snowballs

Klara

Sybil (I sold the bottle of this I had and have been kicking myself ever since.)

White Rose (Unity Set)

Hope (from CD)

Roses, Pearls, and Diamonds

Whoso List to Hunt

I would 100% stay away from Dawn:Maiden and Katrina Van Tassel. These were two of the worst soapy-rose experiences I have had to date.

And not on topic, but since I saw it above- Wanda is hands down one of the weirdest scents I have ever tried ever. My friend and I tested it one day when we were first trying out Bpal and we swore it smelled like rotting meat or fish or something. No clue, but I still giggle thinking about it.

The only rose I can wear reliably? Delirium. The apple and lemon somehow balance it out and I get a really pretty rose in there. It also lasts all day long on me. I can wear Kali, but I don't get any rose out of it particularly. Black Hellebore when I tried it settled into a pleasant rose, but it was pickles first, so not sure it's worth the drydown period. :lol: Moon Rose was actually ok, too, but that's long discontinued.

Edited by skyelyric

Solar Phoenix is it, so yellow rose. A blessing of nobility, leadership, and generosity: Roman chamomile, yellow rose, pineapple, bay laurel, frankincense, heliotrope, and Ceylon cinnamon.

I think Croquet might be okay too, but it has been a long time since I tried it. Everything else is rose rose rose.

Okay, I lied, it looks like I also like rose when I can't smell it at all, that would be Alice (carnation is the floral I get, plus I layer with the SN carnation so that might be helping) and aged Pink Snowballs. I am currently working on a bottle of 2011, but 2009 is nice too.

Edited by Caper

As someone who amps rose to screeching soap levels I recommend Pink Lace (sweet and almost creamy pink), the rose is tea rose and while you can smell it, it doesn't over take the scent. I also had luck with O Daughter of Death and Priapus, and Wanda. I find if its sweeter notes with rose it tends to rein it in.

Most of BPAL's rose notes, on me, smell overly chemical-ish and almost like bug spray (???), so I sympathize. I would love to love some of these scents!...but then the rose notes ruin it for me.

Oddly, one I really liked was The Rose...it smelled the truest, and it had a sense of leaves and even earth in the garden, which I really liked. Whip was also really nice on me. Titania was good on me too in spite of containing "musk rose" (although I don't know if that's really a real rose). Maiden is okay on me too (white rose), although not spectacular.

Most of the rest I've tried do the dreaded bug-spray switcheroo on me. Unfortunately, this has led to me not even trying certain scents (like Snooty Rose) because I'm so sure they won't work...but who knows, maybe they would!

I can do Kali, Jezebel, Pink Snowballs, Whoso List to Hunt, Alice, the Knave of Hearts, and The Rose. I used to be able to wear Phantom and various white rose scents, but now they go all pickles on me (glad to know I'm not the only one!). Some of the GC "girly" rose scents, early on in my BPAL testing, went all "scented tampons" on me-it was horrible! I'm sorry that I missed Love! I must go hunt some down! I have yet to try Rose Red and Peacock Queen for fear of them going all pickles...I would love a big, lush, red rose BPAL... (*off to Swaps!).

Edited by lookingglass

There are two successes for rose for me

Eldritch Dark and Mrs. Lewis

all other roses turn to expensive baby powder on me :(