Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
darkwitchling

Please help me find a signature GC scent

Hi :wub2:

I am having a lot of trouble finding a GC scent that I love. Hoping some of our BPAL experts can help me. ;)

Vanilla often smells plasticky, honey amps like crazy.

What I love, love, love so far is Butterflies, Flowers and Jewels Attending. I know its fairly recent LE so I may have some luck buying on the forums.....

Other LEs that work on me are; Winter Dawn, The Garden in Winter. Purple Snowballs isn't too bad either.

From the GC, I quite like The Rose, Blockbuster and Morocco. I like my imps but I don't know if they are really bottle worthy. Ravenous smelled great on me from the imp but I bought a bottle and it is a fail, rotten orange.

Any ideas?

TIA

Edited by darkwitchling

If you like rose, you might want to check out Roses, Pearls and Diamonds. I find it's very pretty. :wub2:

I haven't tried any of the LEs you listed, so sadly I can't compare them to GCs.

SInce you like Purple Snowballs, you might want to try a bunch of the berry & purple fruit scents.

To name a few, I'm thinking Bewitched, Bordello, Glasgow, Lady MacBeth, Lampades, Morgause...

And I second Roses, Pearls, Diamonds & would like to add London & Persephone.

Edited by alterosen

Maybe...

Wanton - Palmarosa, red sandalwood, attar of rose, patchouli.

51 - Green mandarin, neroli, honeydew, white amber, guava, freesia, white and green musks hovering over desert scrub, smashed wood, and the dry, biting scent of night air over the Groom Lake salt flats.

The East - Bluebonnet, passion flower, freesia, jasmine tea, mint, thyme, and redcurrant.

Tristran - Redwood, tonka bean, white sandalwood, lemon peel, patchouli, rosewood, coriander, and crushed mint.

Kumiho - A sharp, biting blend of crisp white tea and ginger.

Rakshasa - Sandalwood with rose and patchouli.

Most of these are fresh, pretty florals but I threw in a few darker scents since Ravenous was an almost win. Some are un-impable but you should be able to find decants floating around the forums.

I think almost all of the Stardust line would be perfect for you. Lots of delicate, flowery but ethereal scents there. There are a few honey musk/vanilla notes among them, but I still think blends like Lady Una and Victoria might be worth testing.

SInce you like Purple Snowballs, you might want to try a bunch of the berry & purple fruit scents.

To name a few, I'm thinking Bewitched, Bordello, Glasgow, Lady MacBeth, Lampades, Morgause...

And I second Roses, Pearls, Diamonds & would like to add London & Persephone.

Do you think Baneberry might work? It's got a touch of green but seems mainly luscious, tasty looking, black, poisonous berries at the core.

one scent that plays beautifully on my skin in a fashion similar to butterflies attending is

skekTek the Scientist

Metal and stone beams of dark light: hyssop, black currant, black viola, passionflower, and myrrh.

from the Dark Crystal line. it's beautiful and has a nice throw and lasts a while. mmmm, it's so good!

(please note when considering my advice is that I tend to go for weirder bpal's with notes like dirt and books and vetiver and coconut swamps. but I love butterflies...attending and skektet delivers as well)

I love BF&J too. Personally I think it's the combination of florals, musks and spices that make it work for me, rather than any individual note.

Here are a few GC that I find have a similar combo but with different twists:

Aeval: sage, sweet pea, bold pale musk and warm tonka - to me, this is a witchy, foresty version.

51: has the flower/musk/spice combination but in a juicy, Arizona desert-sort of way.

Hanging Gardens (sadly discont but you may be able to find it in sales/swaps): date palm, ebony, fir, pomegranate, plum, two pears, quince, fig, and grapevine with plumeria, three gardenias and dry rose - no musk but it's got a similar vibe (to me) with an exotic twist.

and, for something a little different, Port Royal: Spiced rum and ship’s wood mixed with the body-warmed trace of a prostitute’s perfume and a hint of salty sea air on the dry-down. I get florals/musks from the prostitute's perfume :) plus spices from the spiced rum and woods.

I'm also really enjoying my imp of Mary Shelley and I feel it has a similar complexity to BF&J: absinthe, lightning, stormclouds, and laudanum crashing through a veil of soft Victorian oriental perfume.

The light but sweet sweet flowers, vanilla, musk, and spice of Butterflies, Flowers, and Jewels on me is most like the (sadly) soon-to-be discontinued Peitho, out of the general catalogue--they have a very similar vibe on my skin, light and girly but also interesting and flowery and sweet. (Lusty myrtle and jasmine with red sandalwood, stargazer lily, and clove over an opulent, rich bed of warm musk and bourbon vanilla.) The vanilla might be an issue, but it doesn't stand out to me at all, and strikes me as really similar to the vanilla component of Butterflies . . . Attending. Sacred Whore of Babylon might also be a bit similar (sweet florals with some spice), though it strikes me as a bit more sexy (unsurprisingly :lol:).

The Garden in Winter struck me as being nice because of the warmer floral of the poppy with the cool lilies. In that vein, you might like Languor? "Paperwhite and black narcissus, three lilies, black poppy and tuberose and a hint of hypnotic opium den haze."

Others that come to mind are:

Avenger (Plush vanilla bourbon and rum accord with pink pepper, patchouli, clove, pikaki, golden amber, caraway, tuberose, and jacarandá-da-bahia.)

Dawn: Mourning Victory (Red sandalwood, night-blooming jasmine, white tea, hyacinth, rosehips, and tuberose.)

La Belle au Bois Dormant (Plumeria and white pear, Damascus rose, tuberose, magnolia and evening dew.)

Lady Amalthea (A luminous white winter musk with lilac, wisteria, white chocolate, white mint, and tuberose.)

Florence (Elegant iris, bright berries, gilded amber and velvety spices.)

Mama-Ji (Spices, cardamom, nutmeg, and flowers.)

(though I haven't tried most of these)

It's so hard to figure out what someone else is going to resonate with. My own GC favorites are Night Raven, and either Miss Forcible.

that said, as you like roses, you might want to explore the Dawn series, they are wonderful complex rosey blends.

Edited by stellamaris

If you like a pure rose scent, you could consider giving Whip a shot. I truly adore the rose note on it, it's a rich, lush, sexy red rose that is subtly grounded by the leather. The leather wears close to the skin so it is never overpowering. I've tried many rose blends from both the GC and LE collections and the rose in Whip is still my absolute favorite. ♥

Thank you so much everyone!

I have tried a few of these already. Bewitched and Glasgow were both stunningly beautiful on me. For about 5 minutes and then I literally could not smell them anymore, and nor could Husband. Lampades, Persephone, Aeval and la Belle au Bois Dormant did not work on me although the first two were lovely on Husband and MiniMe respectively.

I have had Morguase, Lady Una and Tatania on my list for my next imp order so I am glad to get confirmation on those.

Any boy, did you all give me some ideas for others. I am going to be happily looking through the reviews for a few days :wub2: There are some on there I had never heard of.

Rose is iffy on me, it's great in some blends and not at all in others.

Super glad I asked! Thanks again :wub2:

Edited by darkwitchling

The Witch Queen from the Stardust line is a huge gc floral/incense favorite of mine. Notes: Wild plum, red musk, tuberose, calla lily, heliotrope, pimento, ylang ylang and beeswax beneath a dark haze of sinister purple-hued incense smoke.

Sign in to follow this