Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
fetish911

Youth's Disengagement

Marshmallow root, vanilla cream, black ginger, Rainier cherries, white sandalwood, anise seed, and red currants.

I was most excited for this scent... And it doesn't disappoint me! Wet it's like a foodie heaven. Smells of buttery vanilla cakes and gingery currants. This smells amazing!!! As it dries the vanilla softens and it loses it foodieness and I swear, smells like Antique laces sister on me. The ginger and other notes all pretty much leave the party and it's just vanilla with a dash of spicy ginger left standing. So pretty. I even put some AL on just for comparison and they are very similar. I am completely in love with this scent and will enjoy my bottle :)

*eta - Yep the more this dries down the more convinced I am it's the vanilla from AL.

There once was a girl who fell down a water well by an old bark tree.

further and further she fell into the deep dark well.

Soon she awoke that she did see a wonderfulness world around her. Marshmallow Trees and sugar webs with grass so blue! The sky was so green and the colors seem so strange. Suddenly she felt fur wrapped around her feet. She picked up the black cat and named her Cinder. The cat's fur smelled like cinnamon and deep blood cherries.

She heard her name being called in the distance.

"Lucy"

"Lucy come here"

All the wonderful smells, spells and being transformed back in time. Lucy awoke back in her bedroom with her cat beside her.

Awe what a weird dream!

I felt inspired to write a little poem based on Youth's Disengagement. It is awesomesauce! Very creamy marshmellows with black cherries!

Edited by DJ Sin

This JUST came in the mail. It's very cold and I don't currently have anything with which clean and plastic to run a skin test, so I'll have to come back and edit this review in the near future.

In the meantime, this scent is very, very sweet and white to me. I got sandalwood as soon as I touched the bubble wrap, but that's one of the few notes that really jump out at me from whatever blend it's in, so ymmv. It came out of the package smelling almost sweet-herbal-floral and a tad (dare I say it?) medicinal, but that may have been the result of it being packaged near other oils? I can't be certain. As it warms up in my hands, it's definitely becoming creamier and more foodie, but still sweet and white. This smells pretty much like sticking my nose in a bag of marshmallows--which I happen to really like. I think it's fun, and I'm glad I went ahead and snagged a bottle.

Still warming the oil, I pressed my nose pretty close to the cap and found the ginger and anise, which is probably where the medicinal connection came from. (My family tends to cure things with herbal teas, you see.) There's maybeeee a slight edge of juiciness at the very back of this scent, but otherwise no cherries or currants. Perhaps they'll show up on my skin, but that seems unlikely. I'll update when I've let this mellow out a bit and found something to test with.

ETA: I finally got a chance to skin test this (thanks, bendy straw!) and I am SO MAD. I am SO MAD because this perfume smells like my house on Christmas Eve and I've been homesick for so long and it's so comforting and I ONLY BOUGHT ONE BOTTLE. Seriously it's perfect, and on my skin it isn't powdery or oppressively sandalwood-y at all and I just love it. It's so great.

Edited by DovaKitten

This dries down to a sweet gingery creaminess. It is a tad yellow cake-like upon application, but that doesnt stick around. I was really expecting more cherry, but I barely get any-- maybe a tiny bit of juiciness around the edges when it's wet. No anise seed at all.. Not exactly what I was expecting, which was more red fruitiness, but still quite pleasant. Gentle and spicy, foody but not TOO foody, for those of you that avoid that.

I don't really agree that this shares a vanilla with Antique Lace personally. I can see the comparison if I search, but I think it's an illusion of the ginger-vanilla combo. This vanilla goes a tad plasticy on me, and AL never did that.

In the Bottle: Currants boppin' around in a bowl of cream.

Wet: There's the ginger! Now it's a spiced creaminess with cherries trying to muscle past the currants.

Dry: Pretty much stays spices and cream. A bit cake-ish. Cream takes center stage and the rest of the notes just swirl in the background. I get hints of ginger and fruit and, if I hold my nose really really close I get a mere tease of anise. Overall a lovely scent that stays close to the skin. Glad I have a bottle.

In the bottle: Creamy currants

Wet: Lots of bright cherries on the initial application, but that burns off quickly to slightly dusty currants. I suppose that's the sandalwood playing up, when I tested it initially (slightly cold from the mail box) I got no dustiness. Weird.

Dry down: As it dries the dustiness gives way to the marshmallow and what I think may be the ginger. It's not overly sweet or cloying, just enough to rein in the cherries which are still there.

Dry: The vanilla finally makes an appearance, however slightly. This is an awesome scent. It's sweet but not overpoweringly so; the cherries hover in the back and give it a slightly juicy edge (and don't go all cough syrup, which has never been a problem since my skin loves cherry notes so ymmv) with the marshmallow giving it it's distinctive...marshmallowness (lol).

Overall it's nice and low key, at least on me.

In the Bottle: Currants and cream!

Wet On Skin: The above, with some ginger to spice things up a bit!

Dry Down: A soft, white vanilla with a bit of spice around the edges.

In All: Low throw, and close to the skin, this reads like a sister scent to Eat Me- which isn't much of a surprise, but it's like a more sophisticated version. Where Eat Me was very foodie-heavy, this has subtlety, and although I discern all the food notes in here, I wouldn't call this a foodie scent at all. It's sweet and light, and yes, I can see the comparisons to Antique Lace, though don't expect *too* close a relative to AL or you'll be a sad panda. Still, if you like AL, I'm betting you'll like this scent too.

:)

ITB: Sweet, creamy, clean, but I not soapy clean, if that makes sense, fresh clean. It smells lush and juicy in the bottle.

Wet: It's everything I wanted it to be. The sweet, clean white sandlewood, which works as the top note before giving way to the almost dusty vanilla of the marshmallow and the sweet/bitter bite of the Ranier Cherry. Again, lush, juicy and freshly clean are all adjectives that describe this when wet.

Dry: The slight soap note of the sandlewood dissipates and a juicy sweetness from the currant takes it's stead. I get very little of the ginger or anise, but I'm ok with that at the moment, and anise has a tendency to become more assertive as it ages (Kabuki,I'm looking at you!). This is sweet, luscious, with a soft vanilla tempering what could be an overwhelming fruitiness from the current and Cherry.

I fear I may have to grab another bottle oft his...and the label, so cool!!

In bottle: Creamy, cocoa like scent, not so much chocolatey but like an egg cream, or a cream soda with a hint of cocoa lingering in the background, which is odd because there is no mention of cocoa or chocolate in this, but that is the scent I get when sniffing the bottle.

Wet on my skin: The creaminess remains but there is a sharpness, like the ginger and anise are trying to show themselves.

On the drydown: The creamy foodiness goes bye bye and the sandlewood makes itself known, as well as the currants. No hint of cherries or marshmallow.

Dry: The cherries and currants take over, with just a hint of creaminess in the background. Little to no marshmallow, ginger, anise, or sandlewood.

I reapplied because it seemed so faint so quickly. I don't think I got enough on my skin the first go round. With the reapplication the sandlewood is much more noticeable and the vanilla cream is gone. Oddly enough as much as I normally dislike sandlewood on my skin the hints of currant and cherries make it not so terrible.

I wish it had stayed the creamy foodie wonderfulness that I got in the bottle but no my skin decided to amp the white sandlewood and hide the marshmallow, vanilla, ginger, and anise. I would have loved to have the anise come through, oh well. I am however thinking should I ever get a scent locket it will be a favorite.

Edited by mymel0dy

Wet: currant, vanilla cake with a hint of ginger. Dry: sandalwood, marshmallow, and a tiny bit of cherry (not fake smelling!). I like this, but the staying power is poor....it only lasted 2 hours. I will put this in a rollerball so I can reapply on the go. Overall, wonderful scent, but plan to reapply often. :huh?:

I'm dying: This is so similar to long lost Monsterbait: Bloody Mary that I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop.

*bites nails*

ETA: Also reminiscent of Beaver Moon '07!

Edited by Leopard403

Out of every scent from this release, Youth's Disengagement was the one I was most excited about. The note listing is entirely unique and marshmallow root isn't something I've ever experienced.

When I first apply this to my skin I get two contrasting notes of something root/dusty (almost like orris root) blending with cherry. The marshmallow root does not smell like confectionery marshmallows to my nose. Instead, it's a distinct, earthy, root aroma. I think if it were to smell sweet and food, the perfume would lose the disconnected feeling it's (I think) supposed to evoke.

As it dries, I get an incredibly light base of white sandalwood and vanilla cream. The initial top note of cherry has completed faded and given way to a more grown-up currant. Overall, it's a dusty, earthy scent with a background of sweet notes. It's disjointed and confused at first but in the end it comes together into one of the most unique BPAL scents I have ever tried. This isn't the gourmand I was expecting but I'm pleasantly surprised. You guys really need to try this one! :)

So yummy in my decant!

On: Creamy, fluffy cakey currants. The more it dries, it takes on a sort of soapy tinge...noooo!

I get the comparisons to Eat Me. Eat Me didn't really gel with me too well, despite the fact that I love foodie scents.

So...this is pretty. But not pretty enough or unique enough compared to other blends I have to buy a bottle of.

Edited by MiasmaResonance

This is Eat Me's younger cousin without the cake note. The problem is that is the aniseed. I tried this with the hope that the aniseed would be mild...but no. My skin wants to amp it to high heaven and make me very nauseous. This is going to be washed off...and never spoken of...EVER AGAIN. :rasp:

Vanilla, cherries, and red currants.

I get alot of things from this blend that I wasn't expecting to. I'm surprised at how much cherry I get (and it reminds me to Gothabilly in a sense), except with vanilla, red currants, and whiff of cream.

Lovely, fruity, bright.

this is so sad and disappointing for me. i was sure i would love it and all of the other reviews are amazing, but on me it just smells like baby oil. off to the sales.

I actually don't find this as foody as I expected to!

I think the sandalwood and spice keeps the cherry/vanilla combo from going too sweet.

It's nice, I think my major complaint is that it has very little throw on me. I have to sniff my skin pretty directly to smell it at all. I agree with the comparisons to Eat Me, but it lacks the cake note that absolutely ruined Eat Me on my skin, so that's a good thing for me. The currant is a much stronger note than I expected it to be, and I think ultimately that I prefer either Beaver Moon '07 or Gothabilly for similar scents in this genre, especially given how light a scent it is on me.

My daughter commented right away on how good I smelled, and she smelled my wrists, but said it smelled better from a distance. What I'm getting is a yummy marshmallow, like the one in TKO, only with different notes added. It's soft, pretty, and fluffy, for lack of a better word. The sandalwoods keeping it from being too foody, and the marshmallow is keeping the currant from being too tart and sharp, which is what I find currant to do sometimes. I really like this, I may track down some more, apart from the similarities with the marshmallow in TKO, this is nothing like any of the other perfumes I own.

eta: OK, it does turn to powder after a bit, but I sure liked the beginning stages. I wish it stayed that way, no need to find more, thank goodness, as I think it would have been difficult.

Edited by milo

As zankoku mentioned, this reminds me a bit of Gothabilly. Youth's started out as a pretty rich, deep cherry with currant and a bit of anise backing it, but not so much that I'm overwhelmed by licorice. When it dries down it becomes even better, though.

It lightens up a lot, and I feel like I'm surrounded by cherry trees with threads of resinous vanilla wafting in the air. The cherry feels dark but not heavy, and almost like it belongs in a dessert (probably the currant helping it along). Yet the sandalwood and ginger which eventually peak out simultaneously give this a fresh, outdoorsy vibe. It's like a very idealized, fantastical cherry orchard.

A definite must for any cherry lovers. The more complex stage didn't last too long on me and I was left with a single note of black cherry after about 30 minutes, but it's still very nice.

• ITI: It's foody, but I feel like I've smelled this before. It's thick, cloying vanilla cream infused with gobs of juicy, ripe cherries and currants. Ah, that's it! It's very similar to Isle of Eden's "Can't Sleep, The Clowns Will Eat Me."

Wet: Okay, now it's a bit different, but I still get the heavy, cloying vanilla cream, but now the marshmallow, sandalwood, and ginger notes emerge, tamping down the overt candied fun-house sweetness of the in-the-imp scent.

Dry: It once again smells faintly of candied fruit and cream in a highly carnival-esque way. I'm not a huge foody fan, so I'd need to be in the mood for this one.

Testing this one just out of the cold, because I'm super impatient.

Wet: definitely cloying, like mymymai said. Tons of marshmellows and some weird acrid note that might be the anise/cherries. Smells vaguely pink.

Drydown: Faint, much more vanilla and mallow. No sandalwood anywhere, which is sad because that's what I was hoping the base would be. Much more pleasant. Slightly foody but not edible nor overwhelming.

Dry: Mostly the same, but kinda powdery now. Bad perfume! Powder is death.

It's still quite pleasant so we'll see how it goes after it warms up a little.

In the bottle - Lovely custard. Like the cheesecake note in Beaver Moon.

Wet - The combo of moist cake and cherries is very reminiscent of Beaver Moon 07. There’s something extra here too, though. I’m having trouble putting my finger on it. I think it’s the marshmallow root that is throwing me off. I probably expected something a little more marshmallowy, but I ended up with something a little more rooty. Maybe it’s the blackness of the ginger? I’m not sure what’s going on here.

Drydown - And just like that, the sweetness is gone. Almost no scent left. What IS left is dark and rooty and almost tart. I was hoping for something in the Beaver Moon or Bloody Mary family, but those are MUCH sweeter than Youth’s Disengagement.

Verdict - I love this when it’s wet, but my skin eats this way too fast. I’ll reach for my Beaver Moon when I want this type of scent.

Rainier cherries are my favourite fruit, and all of the other notes in this are huge wins for me. So excited to try this.

Wet: The vanilla cream is prominent, with hints of spicy ginger and cherry. This is glorious, and I find myself hoping it won't morph at all from this, because I currently can't stop huffing my arm.

Dry: Mmm, this is so good on me. Very light, I think I'll need to slather it. But really good. Vanilla cream, sweet/tart cherry (very different from the Lab's other cherry notes, on me) combined with currant and ginger. The sandalwood adds depth and keeps it from my cloying on me. I will really enjoy wearing this in the summer. I love spicy fruity combos.

I bought a bottle of Youth's Disengagement last fall and didn't even skin-test it -- I was too wrapped up in the dark autumnal scents.  Well, the sun is shining in the Pacific Northwest, and I'm so happy with my purchase.  YD does not smell like cake to me (Eat Me was a disaster on me).  It smells like one of Beth's gorgeous creamy florals without the flowers, and as someone who loves that category but is not a big fan of floral, that is high praise.  There's the pillowy sweetness of marshmallow root and vanilla cream with the delicacy of rainier cherries against a lovely pale incense-y sandalwood.  I'm not actually getting the anise (which I had hoped for) or the ginger (which I had not).  Currants?  Maybe.  Sweetness and light?  Definitely.