Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
fetish911

Who In the World Am I?

Sheer vanilla, hinoki wood, lavender, bergamot, cotton blossom, and lightly spiced oriental blossoms.

Wet this is lavender & cotton blossom to my nose first and foremost. Lavender is a quick fader (as she always is on me... Sigh) and I am left with cotton blossoms. Sweet and soft but very pretty. I really don't smell much else other than a slight whiff of wood but it's so far underneath it's barely a player. This is a delicate scent and it does fade into oblivion rather fast. I did but a bottle unsniffed so I don't know if I like it enough to keep it. Not a "me" scent.

This is very much lavender and cotton blossom and maybe a hint of vanilla? I think the vanilla helps keep this from being too in your face lavender. This is a lighter sweeter TKO and reminds me a lot of the scented oils they use when I get massages at the spa-which is why I'm keeping it! It's very very relaxing for me and with four year old triplets I could use something relaxing in my life :lol:

awww.... I just got this today, and I'm not getting very many notes.

I get super strong lavender to start out with. Then it dries down to soap. Soapy soapy soap, like shampoo at a hair salon. No vanilla or hinoki wood? rats! Will update tomorrow. maybe it needs a day to sit?

This is TKO with cotton blossoms, which are white and a little high pitched. If you inhale deeply the hinoki wood is there at the very bottom, dry and soft. The bergamot is subtle, I think it's just around the edges of the cotton blossom, but I dont really get it as a distinct note.

Yes, there is a bit of a "drier sheet" vibe about this one because of those cotton blossoms. But it's really clean and soft and a nice alternative to TKO if you like that one but want something slightly different.

Wet: TKO lite!! Dry: lavender with soft vanilla and as it dries further the cotton blossom emerges. I used to hate cotton blossom (blame bath and body works... ;) ), but I love the BPAL version. There is a dryer sheet scent to this, but I happen to really like the dryer sheet/dryer exhaust scent especially in cold weather so I actually love this!! So nice for bedtime or chill time...

In bottle: Lavender dominant with strong vanilla and bergamot seconds. The flowers are delicate and complex, the wood soft and well blended with the other elements, helping the lavender bridge with the other flowers. I was not previously familiar with this wood, but there is only one thing it could be and it really suits the rest of the scent design. Wet: Still lavender dominant, but now the wood comes into it’s own. I’d now call it second, the canvass on which the various flowers dance. The vanilla is understated and with the wood helps tie things together. This is lovely, though there may be a touch too much bergamot for my taste. I really like the cotton blossoms here. This is fundamentally a lavender scent, but the unusual and delicate setting suits it. Dry: Lavender dominant florals.

Edited by Gwydion

I bought this because I love the combination of lavender and vanilla.

In the bottle (when it first arrived): The blend is lavender-dominant in the bottle. It is not an herbal or medicinal lavender; it's a sweet lavender. I'm not sure what cotton blossom smells like, but I think I can smell a bit of what must be that note, and a hint of bergamot as well. I really like the scent of it in the bottle (but then again, I am a lavender fiend)!

In the bottle after a week of settling: Sweet lavender, what I believe to be cotton blossom (although I am not familiar with the note), and a hint of bergamot and vanilla. I think I am getting a bit of the hinoki wood and oriental blossoms as well, but I am not familiar enough with those notes to know for certain.

Wet: Lavender is the dominant note! It is a sweet lavender, and the vanilla is making it even sweeter. I am loving this thus far! This is not as sweet as TKO, and I think the cotton blossom adds a bit of a 'clean' element to it. The other notes seem to be hiding in the background. If I inhale really deeply, I can detect a faint trace of them, but the sweet lavender and cotton blossom notes steal the show.

Dry: Sweet lavender, vanilla, cotton blossoms, and perhaps hint of the hinoki wood.

Verdict: I am so glad that I ordered a bottle! I'm not sure I need a back-up of this one (as I prefer TKO and Capax Infiniti), but I'll definitely be keeping my bottle.

Edited by dementia_divine

What a snuggly scent! The lavender and sheer vanilla blend together well, making the lavender not so distinct. The cotton is wonderful and soft and cozy and not too laundry-like. It’s all the good parts of cotton smell. I even can imagine a sort of cotton texture. I also get something that my nose interprets as sugared lemon blossom. This part smells soooooo good. And this is coming from someone who is hit or miss with citrus. I think there is a hint of the hinoki wood and I do notice the bergamot. They add to the snuggly. I love this one.

The oriental blossom and cotton blossom are overwhelming here. I can barely smell the vanilla...and then BAM...cotton and oriental blossom. I am hoping that if I can age my decant the vanilla will come out more. B/c if it does...this will be bottle worthy. :D

Lavender dominant for sure. It's kind of an ethereal blend, whispy, and powder definitely starts to develop in the blend. This kind of reminds me of Victorian Garden, another lavender/floral blend, but this one is less florally. I love me some lavender, it reminds me of my roots, where my mom has lavender growing in her herb garden all the time. She has two varieties, and this one is the creamier type to me, not the medicinal one. I really like this, but have quite a few lavender blends and do not need anymore.

eta: Although there's vanilla listed, I don't smell it:( It does smell a bit like TKO, especially as time goes on, so maybe it's coming out a touch. This is smelling better and better. I may have to keep my eye out for more. Very comforting and delicate, which is great for a sleep atmosphere before bed.

Edited by milo

Blerg.

Oh man, I don't know what I was expecting, but this is not it. Strong lavender and a white floral that I'm betting is the cotton blossom. It's sharp verging on unpleasant to my nose, but I am not the biggest fan of lavender and was hoping it wasn't overly prominent in this scent, so of course it is.

I use TKO as a sleep blend, and the sweetness of that one makes it one of the few lavender scents I can tolerate. This is very strongly lavender + white floral in an almost soapy way that reminds me of clean laundry.

I get mainly a green, woody, hint of vanilla with a touch of lavender. It's soft, woody, and pillowy.

Unfortunately, it has low throw and my skin eats this up like mad. So, it's going to have to go on to a new home.

SAD PANDA FACE.

Surprised how much I like this one! I’m not a fan of TKO; it was too astringently herbal on me. I usually have a problem with BPAL’s lavender being too harsh, but here it’s perfect. Just like sniffing the plant itself, it’s smooth, sweet and relaxing. Soft rather than biting.

This is one of those awesome scents that not only smells good, but is very evocative to me. It begins with that delicious lavender combined with vanilla and wafts of dry, clean cotton. Not really getting the bergamot. I know BPAL already has an “Alice” scent, but honestly I think this suits her better. It feels innocent and straitlaced, like a very proper, young Victorian lady (or even lad). At the same time it has hints of sweetness that just make you want to take its pure white self and corrupt it (or maybe that’s only me because I’m an evil person). :lol:

I think of boarding schools, picnics at a villa, sun hats, white dresses and stockings. So very Victorian. There is a point where the cotton goes a little crazy and I did get a “clean laundry” vibe, but after that it lost a lot of dryness and got even creamier, perhaps thanks to the oriental blossoms. As if the prim youth has let decided to relax a bit.

I expected to like it, but not this much. Innocently seductive and even feels a bit regal.

Edited by Balame

fresh from the post box, I get a light hit of lavender and then the cotton blossom comes out. I recognized this note from Tlazolteotl, where it was a clean counterpoint to the tar, copal, cacao, etc. here with no such deep notes to keep it in check, the cotton jumps out and screams over the other notes to a soapy/dryer sheet crescendo.

but when I try this on again after a few weeks have passed, this has become a completely different experience. :thud: everything's come together now. it's transformed into a lovely floral, soft creamy lavender and bright vanilla at the core. the notes only stand apart when I'm trying to suss them out. otherwise everything's contributing to the delicious whole. each time I put this on, I fall in love again. it's more a heavy girlhood friendship crush than torrid love affair, but it's serious.

currently a favorite in regular rotation.

Edited by annemathematics

• ITI: I'd call this a round scent. I pick up on the cotton and lavender immediately, but there's a slightly denser note that keeps the scent from beeing too buyoant. Granted, the top notes are really rather pleasant on their own.

Wet: The lavender note here reminds me of the lavender note in TKO, except that it's a bit softer without the vanilla and with a touch more sweetness from the spiced oreintal blossoms (which are faint) and the bergamot, lending a soft sophistication to the scent.

Dry: It goes through a powdery, almost soapy stage, but once dried for some time, it becomes pleasantly floral with a touch of vanilla and cotton.

In the imp: Lavender and cotton blossom

Wet: Very, very light - lavender with traces of bergamot and vanilla if you really sniff for them.

Dry: Still light, and almost exclusively cotton blossom, with a trace of bergamot and woods.

I expected more vanilla from this, since I amp it so heavily, and like some of the other reviewers, will be aging this to see if it brings out something other than cotton blossom. I've worn scents with that before and they always go a wee bit 'laundry powder'; this one's no different in that respect, though the lavender keeps it just out of the realm of soap. I've never tried TKO so I can't compare it on that score. What it does remind me of (though in a more abstract way than olfactory) is Lady Una. And I sometimes use that as a sleep blend, so perhaps this one might get put to use for the same purpose. It certainly won't be one I'll wear as a day perfume, as it's just too light to make much impact.

Life is average (6-7 hours) but throw is minimal.

Stars: ★★★½

The newest addition to my top 10.

This smells like something from my childhood...and i love it. I guess the cotton translates to dryer sheet, but these would be the most fantastic dryer sheets ever made. At first all i smell is lavender (same as in the bottle) and then the bergamot and hinoki meet the lavender and pull it behind the cotton blossoms...and this is so beautiful. Im very glad to have a bottle and am contemplating another.

When it's wet it's a very strong lavender and very similar to TKO. But the lavender disappears very quickly and reveals the cotton blossom with a glassy quality. I really like it and it's perfect for those days when you want a clean and comfy scent.

I have no idea why I was so desperate to have this. Might have been because I adore any and everything Alice. Might have been the same, which I love. Might have been the idea of vanilla and oriental blossoms, but to be honest, if I had just looked at these notes and not thought of the line it was coming from, I doubt I would have purchased this.

Wet: A blast of sweetened lavender with hints of vanilla. Niiice. The initial scent causes me to immediately slather a bit more on my arm. This is a super complex, sweet lavender, different than the other lavender blends I have.

Dry: This really fades. It's still a nice, sweet lavender, cotton blossom and vanilla scent. I will likely get a lot of bedtime wear out of it.

lavender is definitely the strongest note starting out. i also get some bergamot, woods and the spiced oriental blossoms. it's very pretty! after about 15 minutes it's mostly spiced blossoms and cotton blossom. it smells a bit dryer sheety now, and i am not liking it as much as the first few minutes. still pretty, just not for me.