Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Lycanthrope

The Waters of the Well of Wisdom

Cool, dark water steeped with mugwort, mayweed, and thyme.

Me and mugwort have an understanding. I put it on my skin and it smells like muddy butt, so take that with a grain of salt.

That said, here goes. Testing in decant mode.

Bottle? Pipette? Muddy butt! Holy carp! Butt and herbs, actually, mostly the thyme giving it a little rubbery-herby leaf smell. Kind of like oregano water, or oregano oil, even though I don't think this has that in it. Not sure what mayweed is.

On my skin, the butt rises and I have a little of that smokey, slightly off scent that mugwort transforms on me into, but this burns off real quick, thank goodness. It's transitioning rapidly into very clean, clear aquatic, sort of along the lines of Windward Passage rather than oceanic. I'm reminded of Vial of Holy Water, which is on me basil water, except this is much less sweet. In all honesty, I can't find the mugwort after it is on me for a while and this is a pure, sparkling water type scent, more reedy and salty.

I think maybe like, Hatmethit?

Sorry about the stanky butt. I can't extract my mugwort skin chemistry from my review! All in all it dries down and behaves better, so give this a spin if you like fresh water or herbal scents.

Ha, I smell no butts here! But this is super herbal and bitter on first application.

As it dries it becomes nicely cool and refreshing. A clean, herbal water. The thyme is so fresh and relaxing. There’s not too much else to say about it because the description is pretty much spot-on.

I’m surprised by how nice I find this since straight herbals are usually not my thing. I like it much more than Vial of Holy Water, which was just sweet white florals with an aquatic edge. This feels truer to pure, crystalline water with healing herbs on the side. It's potently "good." I could definitely see (smell?) myself wearing this on a hot day.

Totally natural, inoffensive and beautiful. I imagine a monk in pure white robes sitting at the edge of a shimmering lake. Peaceful and calming amid all the potent, musky blends in the rest of this line.

beautiful clear cool refreshing. the herbs are spicy at the start (I also get no butts!) with mugwort leading, but then they settle down and thyme becomes the most dominant one.

(mayweed=a type of chamomile? I don't know this note, but there's nothing doing on my skin what chamomile usually does)

wearing this is fun because I've never before worn or smelled a perfume in any way like this. it has a low throw with decent staying power.

absolutely gorgeous not-sweet, non-soapy aquatic.

Edited by annemathematics

Hmmmm, not really familiar with mugwort or mayweed, but let's give this a whirl, shall we?

In the imp: Dark, swirling herbal water. I'm getting something closer to vetiver than clean and refreshing, though I'm definitely getting the thyme, too.

Wet on skin: About the same, though slightly less vetiver-y.

Dried down: Cool, dark herbal water. This is like evil herbal water (although probably delicious). I'm not saying it smells bad, just... there is something very dark and sinister about this blend on me.

Throw: This one hugs my skin. Maybe curling like Devil's snare around it. :D

Verdict: Despite my calling it evil, I actually rather like this one. I think I'll stick to my decant, though. Maybe seek out a bottle later on. It's very interesting, though. And I do like the watery feel to it.

Thyme and aquatic/water.

It's slightly bitter, herby, water. Definitely can smell the thyme. Occasionally, I can smell the mugwort, which lends a bright citrusy pop to the water, and its a component that I feel is very present in Blue Moon formulations.

Mugwort isn't butts on me, but it sure is stinky! I was a little worried at first sniff, because in the imp this blend is a really strong mugwort. Once on my skin, it gets even weirder, with a really strong peppermint coming out to play with the stinky mugwort. Not very nice!

Happily, the stink burns off very quickly, and the peppermint settles down and allows more of the aquatics to shine through. As this wears, I start to get some vetiver out of it, reminding me a bit of the asphalt note in Black Ice. That also eases off pretty soon, though, and the scent settles down as it dries into a cooling, slightly herbal aquatic. I think this would be lovely for hot summer days - it makes me think of going swimming in a cool lake.

The first time I put on my decant, I got straight up Dial liquid soap and was totally disappointed. However, after about 15 minutes the scent did an about face into heavily herbal, thyme dominated aquatics. This is a very unique scent, as I don't think I've ever smelled a thyme dominated perfume before. This would be great for the summertime.

In bottle: I am not familiar with mugwort or mayweed. This is very intense a hard to describe. It is either mugwort dominant with strong mayweed support or vica versa. I can separate the scents, but I have no idea which is which. Either way, the thyme is also in support, though more modest. I am really struggling to describe the green, bitter, yet strangely rich fragrance in my hand. Underneath the greenery lies a dark still, watery canvass, likely with undertow or worse things lurking to grab the ankle. Wet: I was worried this might be too intense on my skin, and it sits right on the border between intriguing and too much. I rather wish the strongest of the plants switched places with the thyme for intensity. With a little wear, the waters rise and soften the plants. It is very, very marshy banks of a deep dark pool. Dry: No, just no. The dominant plant is too much after the rest has burnt away.

ITB: Sharp, salty herbs. Very green, bitter and salty.

Wet: This really smells familiar, but I can't place it. It's very green and salty and a bit lemony. It's doing a lot of the same things Yog Sothoth does on me, though it's greener, sharper and darker.

Drying: This is a strange egg, and I have no idea how to describe it. I would say this is a sharp, herby green first, and a lemony deep aquatic second.

Dry: Something a little like dusty stone is creeping in here. This is not at all a bad scent, but it is very close to some other perfumes I own and prefer, like Yog. It's just a little too bitter and dark for me.

Medicinal thyme on me. I can see aquatic in the background, but the mugwort or mayweed is exceptionally sharp, like a clean, alcoholic minty herb. Still refreshing, love the thyme, but can't do the medicinal part of it.