Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Lycanthrope

Managarm’s Bloody Jaws

The offspring of Fenrir, known in whispers as the Moon-Hound, the Moon-Snatcher, the Enemy, He Who Hates: ironwood needles and blood-matted fur.

This is actually really pretty.

The description doesn't give much to run on. It's not as lemony as I recall the only other ironwood containing thing I own (Tiki King) being, so maybe my idea of ironwood was inaccurate. It's a slightly creamy powdery light pine, with a softly sweet, cuddly Coyote-style musk running behind it. In fact, on me this is like Coyote, but without sweetgrass and smoke and amber. I think if I saw Managarm I would give him a giant fuzzy hug!

Surprisingly cute, but a very wearable, subtle pine and one of my favorite types of musky fur notes.

I don't get much blood, at least not as much as The Rending of the Rock (also a bloody one this series).

D'AWWWW MANAGARRRRRRM.

Another surprisingly gentle scent. A big transformer, too.

It’s not screeching an evergreen note like I thought it would. Despite what Lycanthrope said about ironwood, I actually do smell something lemony. It starts out vague then amps more and more, until it’s almost at “cleaning liquid” level. :eek: And that’s all I really get for about 20 minutes.

Then a sort of warm dustiness starts peeking out, the fuzzy musk. It overtakes the lemon but it’s still barely there; I guess with my chemistry I’m just not getting a lot of complexity. So that’s it: fur and slightly sweetened, very muted lemons. After a long time (like 2+ hours) it finally eliminates the citrus and goes straight fur musk. No blood. I like it a lot at this stage, super cuddly, but it takes quite a while to reach it.

I don't get anything evergreeny. my brain must be stuck on the "iron" part of ironwood, because I'm smelling something clean and metallic with a little lemon oil--just a touch!

there's a soft fluffy cuddly wolf puppy musk that comes through and this part lasts when all the other smells have faded away. :werewolf: this is the clean animal musk that I believe I have met in faunalia. this is a giant, fluffy, playful, massive, adorable, godwolf puppy, and there's no hatred or cruelty in it at all.

if the throw were stronger, I would get a bottle. I do like this enough that I might get a bottle anyway, but I wish that the whole thing was a little bigger on my skin.

Edited by annemathematics

Very much like Faunalia. I'll need to compare them side by side to be sure, but I feel that where Faunalia had an airy forest vibe, this has a deeper cologney "blood" vibe. But the musk is totally the same, and the overall feeling isnt much different.

This is animal musk and the high pitched metallic zing of the Lab's blood note. It is a little lemony upon application yes, but then it reaches a crescendo that is almost floral-- it's felt way up in the nose in a way that is close to dust. It's warm and spicy, almost resinous, rather than woody.

I'm a huge fan of this particular musk, and I love resins and spices. If you do too, you will adore this one.

In the imp: Interesting. Definitely reminds me of the woods, evergreens and stone and little flowers poking through the rocks.

Wet on skin: A little heavier on the florals and woods on my skin. It's nice and soft. There's a touch of camphor and incense, adding to the mystery of it all.

Dried down: This is really pretty, like baby powder winged with camphor on me. It's like the woods disappeared under a baby blanket.

Throw: There's a tiny bit of throw here, but not much on me. But I only put a dab across my inner elbow, since I'm testing all the Ragnarok scents today.

Verdict: **** This is soft and pretty, and totally unexpected. I really like this.

In the decant: Drying pine needles, a metallic tang from the blood, a whisper of fur.

Wet: Perhaps the pine needles are coming back to life? Again the hint of fur.

The dry-down: The slight lemon scent of ironwood emerges finally. In the end, this was slightly lemon-scented pine needles that have totally dried out. The fur must been unhappy with this conclusion and departed. The Big Bad reduced to not much that I would have liked.

In bottle: It’s exactly as one would expect from the description: sharp evergreen needles and blood strongest with a hint of iron and warm musky fur accord. I love it in the bottle and I have hopes of what it will do on skin. Wet: It’s weird on my skin. The dominant brown furry musk and its blood support curdle and snarl. Seriously, this smells like a snarl sounds. The Ironwood needles form a softer background, though given time they strengthen and the fur gentles a little. I am loving the ironwood needles, but the fur is unnerving me. Dry: It has a sharp animal smell that makes me think I need a good wash, likely my skin continuing to amp the musk when moist of the rest has fallen away.

ITB: A woody metallic.

Wet: This is the most eerie and odd wood scent I have ever smelled and I love it. There is a slightly sharp and discordant pine needle winding through a metallic, oddly green and dark musk. It's much higher in the scent register than I was expecting, not brooding but instead a little screechy, though not in a bad way.

Drying: I really feel like I've smelled wood like this before. It's not cedar or pine, and perhaps this is a perfume and not a wood, seeing as there is something very perfumy about this. It's also surprisingly feminine.

Dry: There's something very sweet about this now that it's dry, and the throw has increased as I've been wearing it. There's a bit of sunscreen type smell lurking in the back that I'm not totally interested in. This is one that will need some aging before I decide to part with it or not.

Dry powdery needles, pine, woods and musk. This actually is a much more gentle blend that its name implies.

This seems in line with Wolf Moon and the Faunalia blends, and despite the fearsome name, the Moon-Hound seems a cuddly puppy.

This smells musky, comfy and sexy on me. A bit too perfumey, but certainly wasn't what I was expecting!

Blind-bottled this when it was first released, but basically put it to the side because it was kind of, well, boring. An astringent sort of citrusy woods, with some clean but mellow musk blurring it a bit.

BUT! I've been reaching for it consistently over the past couple days in the summer heat. Refreshing, friendly, approachable, clean, and really quite pleasant.