Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Oberon

Orchid, white musk, and bergamot wafting over juniper berries, with a gentle touch of soft, earthy patchouli.

i'm going to post my review before reading the other ones, because i remember ordering this scent based on reviews and it's confusing me.

this smells like lemon. acrid, artificial lemon straight out of the bottle. like pledge or some other cleaning supply. i get none of the florals and certainly none of the patchuli. upon re-reading the description i almost wonder if i got something else by mistake.

it warms up a bit upon wearing it for a while. becomes sunny and bright, might make a nice room scent. but it's too strong and lemony for me, which is too bad because i was hoping to really like this one. i am utterly bemused by it. :P

:P OBERON!

I'm ordering a vat tonight!

I lost my BPAL virginity today-wearing oberon to school. I put it on at 8am and now, at 9pm it's going strong!!!

FIRST SNIFF- Citrus and musk-who knew they'd be magic together?

DRYDOWN-musk but not. Sensuous...spicy musk.

12 HOURS LATER-mmmmm. Musk, but light and fresh.

ON CLOTHES-much lemony-er at first. Now, gentle musk :D

I need to edit to add: a great, great scent. I plan on a 10 ml. soon. I never want to be without it ever.

There has to be some magic in it.

Every time I wear it in public, I am treated "better"-people smile at me more, pay attention to me more. I wore it to a function where I had to get people to pay their membership dues-a rough job usually. I got-easily-DOUBLE the positive response.

This AM I could still smell it-softly-while showering.

A massive YAY! :D :D :D

Edited by autumnviolet

I like this, and I don't like this. There's something that's "raw" and unfinished about this....and while I love that quality, I also don't see myself wearing this scent for that very reason. I believe that the orchid in this also acts up a little bit on my skin, which gives it a slightly soapy quality, I think. Hmm...maybe this would be nice as a room fragrance?

This was another freebie from the Lab in my latest order. :D

First sniff:

Juniper, musk and the slightest hints of patchouli and bergamot. This one seems to be pretty promising so far, although I have a bad history with scents like this going all wonky on me as soon as I try them. :D

Wet on skin:

The bergamot is very strong, but there's also a hint of juniper here. It's both powdery and citrusy at the same time and the musk and patchouli seem to have disappeared. :D

Dry down:

No real change from when it was wet. I can smell both the juniper (which is turning into baby powder on me again) and bergamot strongly and not a whole lot else. This would probably make a nice, clean men's scent but it's definitely not for me since I don't like powdery scents or citrus.

The bottom line:

Too much like citrus scented baby powder on me. This is definitely not my kind of scent. :P

:P This is one of the imps I'm putting in Brian's Yule stocking, but I had to take just a little sniff. Don't tell him. :D

I have designs on Oberon before even smelling him; I want to wear Titania for the Midsummer Night handfasting, so obviously this is the Groom scent right here. Ooo, pretty boy! Oberon smells like a Crabtree & Evelyn store--which I love; I walk in there and am completely calm and happy. I think it's the white musk doing that. But here comes a gentle whisper of juniper and bergamot...oh, this is gorgeous. This is Rupert Everett's totally sexy Oberon from the recent film version of MSND. :D I think most of the time this will be *too* fey for Brian [context: he likes hearty pirate BPALs!], but he can manage for one special evening. Mmm, the rest of the time I want Oberon to myself.

this is almost really girly on me. no, not FEMININE, i said GIRLY. there's a distinct difference. hopefully my boy will like it. it's turned into a very playful, childish lemon scent. not sure where the lemon is coming from, however, and this makes my nose tingle with its depth. i'm getting a little bit of a powdery smell coming from underneath the lemon, which may be a combination of the white musk and patchouli, but i don't know. this smells very oily (cut the sarcastic remarks short right about there, please :P). i mean to say that it's almost reminiscent of gasoline.

This does remind me of Unseelie a bit, which makes me happy because I'm gonna miss Unseelie....

On me, this is a feminine scent--soft and powdery, but with a sharp edge (I think that's the juniper? or bergamot? I see where people are getting citrus, but on me it's not quite that acidic). The musk is very sexy, and the orchid gives a touch of mellow floral.

It has good lasting power, too. A keeper!

First Impression: Bergamot.

Second Impression: This scent is very strong bergamot and juniper berry on me. I'm not getting much musk or any orchid. It's also gone very powdery.

Final Analysis: I wanted this as I only have a couple of more scents to try in the Illyria category. I'm glad I got to try it, but it's not for me.

I love the complex weave of scents in the bottle. It's delicious, fruity and spicy sweet. It makes me think of drinking fresh hot tea from little clay pots.

On my skin, something in it turns instantly into a lemony scent that dominates every other note. I think it's the bergamot. It just won't play nice with me, alas.

this went really soapy on me and there was something about it that was sickly - what I disappointment! I think my chemistry doesn't like orchid.....

Berries? Good.

White musk? Good.

Patchouli? Good.

Orchid and bergamot? I blame you! You must be the two who killed this scent. *sniff*

This smelled wonderful in the vial but once it touched my skin it turned into cheap motel soap. A masculine motel soap, mind you, but soap nonetheless. :P

Off to swap.

To me Oberon smells very much like a woodsy commercial men's perfume (like English Leather or Old Spice - wow, that's a common sentiment and I wrote this before I read all the other reviews!). It is very, very strong. My husband put two tiny dabs on his neck and it was all I could smell for hours. I don't really care for it. It's too overpowering and "normal." I also would consider this a very, very masculine blend (and this is coming from a girl that really loves some of the gender neutral blends). I didin't get any of the citrus or floral notes others have mentioned on either my husband or myself. Not to my taste or my husband's and will be going up for swap.

On the plus side, this has amazing throw and lasting power.

Edited by Batgirl

Unseelie was kind enough to gift me with an imp of Oberon in our recent swap :P

I'm absolutely floored by how good Oberon smells on me. I definitely get citrus in the wet stage, which I think is the bergamot note making itself known. It fades away rather quickly, which is how I know it's not a real citrus note (those last forever on my skin, even when I would prefer them to go away). The really interesting aspect of Oberon for me is how the white musk enlivens the earthiness of the oakmoss. The only thing keeping me back from ordering a bottle is that it powders out soon after the initial application and it does smell quite masculine on me. I'm not giving up yet - I'm determined to find a way to make Oberon work for me, dammit.

Absolutely LOVE Oberon. At first, it's strong citrus on me, which calms down quickly and then I begin to smell a soft, powdery bergamot.

Whoever said this is like Nantucket Briar from Crabtree & Evelyn is dead on - the similarity is striking. This, like NB, is a soft, clean-smelling scent. However, I'd say this is a sassier version. Stronger and longer-lasting, and a bit earthier.

Overall I give this a rave. For me BPALs are all about the feeling I get wearing them - and this one makes me feel clean and assertive.

I like it!

(i put it on at 10 am - and it's almost 11 pm, and still going strong!)

interesting, i find this pretty femenine,orchid, bergamont, and musk, w/ something spicy, it is sweet and soft, simple and beautiful i don't really get the patchouli or juniper which is a shame i love them both, and w/ them i imagine it would be a bit more masculine, but on me it is a sweet soft innocent smelling floral

First impression: STRONG men's aftershave.

Wet on skin: some spiciness and sweetness are joining the men's aftershave party. No bergamot whatsoever. Sad. :D Then again, my skin just seems to eat bergamot. That happened with Alice too.

Drying: Hmm. Spiciness/baby-powder sweetness is about equal to or possibly slightly stronger than the "AFTERSHAVE" scent. Maybe that's the juniper? Doesn't work on me (yup, "traditionally masculine" is right). I bet this would smell yummy on my boy though.

Oh well. This scent is proving to me that as much as I like gender-bending, :P I'm just not into "traditionally masculine" scents. Or at least not ones this strong.

"Oberon, from Illyria: Orchid, white musk, and bergamot wafting over juniper berries, with a gentle touch of soft, earthy patchouli."

Whaaat? No rose? I swear I smell rose in this and not just any rose, KINKY rose!

It's spicy, it's sexy-hot-man smell.

Oh la la :P

Edited by Red_Hot_Mama

Oberon is very puzzling. In the bottle: earthy spices, musky and smelled somewhat comforting. Comforting, but sexy. I thought the spice might be nice for an overcast morning. Katharina was just too cheery, or so it seemed.

Wet: Patchouli and a bit plasticy. Morphs to spicy.

What the notes are don't really come through clearly. I get absolutely no bergamot or orchid, for example. The scent is spicy and almost masculine. Very heady and headache inducing much on the order of Morocco.

My friend sniffed well after it had dried and said, "Smells like grandma's drawer. It's definitely not you."

Became mustier with time. And more masculine. Headache vanished with some tea and a smoothy ... and a couple of good arm scrubs.

And that's it. I did say I might not keep it, but my mind might be changed if used successfully otherwise.

ETA: The smell IS comforting once it settles down. Might make a good room scent if used sparingly. Smells like an old room indeed. I won't go so far as to say "library" because I know that's what MU is supposed to bring to mind. --yr

Edited by yellowrose

Both in the vial and on my skin this one smelled very fresh and clean. It's reminding me of clean laundry. As it dried, more of the outdoorsy notes came through. Uh oh, went to powder on my skin. Very fresh, clean powder though. It smells good, too bad I like to smell dirty. :P

edited for typo

Edited by brownbear

When it first touches my skin Oberon is a light spicy floral, like carnation, but is there carnation in it? No. Hmm, maybe it's the juniper and orchid. There's just this light spiciness and maybe the musk underneath.

As it dries the bergamot becomes more distinct, and it reminds me of a masculine counterpart to Alice. It's nice. I'll either keep it or give it to my brother.

This is glorious and very ethereal and otherworldly while still being masculine. The white musk is very light but always present, smoothing this out with just a touch of reserved, delicate orchid and a vague earthy spice. This is stunning and the perfect companion to Titania.

In the bottle:

The bergamot is coming through loud and clear! I definitely smell the juniper in there as well

On me:

So far, I'm getting a very clean, Alpine-y, masculine impression from this. I'm thinking of after shave, but not a generic smelling, comes in a can after shave - the real deal. This is FANTASTIC.

Final note:

To be honest, I don't have much more to say on this - mostly because it's just a great scent, plain and simple. I do think that this is way too masculine for me to wear though. I'm all about gender neutral scents, but this definitely strikes me as something a man would wear, not a woman. But it is just SO.GOOD. - this imp is going right to my fiance!

EDIT: I wanted to add that this has some *serious* lasting power! I just took a shower and I have never before been able to smell a perfume on me after I shower, and yet... I can smell Oberon on my arm still, clear as day!

Edited by Brianne

I had to get this one (from the Lab) because my husband loves the Amber Chronicles and has often run Amber campaigns for his roleplaying group. Hopefully he'll like the scent as much as I do right now :P

Both on me and my shirt Oberon is very lemony, but on my skin it's more settled down and I can just barely sense the juniper under the lemon. I can't stop sniffing my shirt, though! It's very refreshing--not that I need it right now, but at the end of the day it'll be a good pick-me-up scent. It's definitely masculine, but on me I don't really mind, for some reason. *sniffs shirt again*

ETA, the end of a long camp day: Well, after I posted this review it suddenly struck me that Oberon smelled quite a bit like bug spray. But I figured I'd let it sit and see what happened. When I got to work today one of my fellow camp counselors turned to our boss and said, "Were you cleaning the office today? It smells like cleaner." I realized with some chagrin that she was probably referring to Oberon's lemon-Pledge-y-ness...*sighs*

I might still make my husband smell it before I swap/sell it away, though. Too bad he's in Oregon for another month yet :D

Edited by eisoj5

Oberon was very nice. Citrus, musk --

And then the dreaded patchouli reared its ugly head and overwhelmed everything else with a deep earthy note that smelled out of place.

It makes me sad, alas -- why can't I like patchouli for the sake of liking patchouli?