Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Oberon

Description: "Orchid, white musk, and bergamot wafting over juniper berries, with a gentle touch of soft, earthy patchouli. "

Scent in bottle: mmmm, musk, florals, and patchouli with a bit of juniper. It's very well named -- masculine but very very fae.

Scent on me:

Wet -- JUNIPER!

Dry -- The juniper loosens its death grip on my wrist and lets the patchouli, florals, and musk back onto the scene. It's well-balanced and unusual.

Conclusion: I'm glad I decided to swap for this one; I don't know if I'd have chosen it otherwise. It's an unusual combination that works very well on me. It's very foresty but not in the normal pine-moss way. This is another one that I want to apply to random males to see what it does; it's a masculine scent, but in a light, earth-sprite kind of way.

Initial thoughts... In the imp, all I could smell was the patchouli; in fact, it was so overpowering I actually didn't try it for several days and nearly gave it to my bestest male bud as I'd deemed it 'way too masculine' from only one sniff. Thankfully I didn't, as...

When wearing it... Wow, yay, bergamot! I *adore* bergamot, so I'm rather glad that it over-powered the patchouli. For the first hour all I smell is spicy citrus. Later the orchid comes through, but it remains very citrus-y for quite a long time.

All in all... Fairly well-lasting on me, which is rare (my skin tends to soak up perfumes fairly quickly), and whilst it does have floral notes, not too feminine. One I'll probably buy again.

Oooooh. On first sniff, this is sunlight and forest, with a stab of citrus wafting through. It's not masculine, particularly, but it's something that would be damn sexy on a certain type of guy--or gal, for that matter. It's fresh and foresty, but the white musk lends it a compelling sensuality. It's definitely a smell I'd want to get closer to. Rawr.

In the imp: Smells like outdoors at night. I can't pick out any notes other than the orchid, but I like it a lot.

On my skin: Still can't pick out the notes in this. It's soft and outdoorsy.

On my boyfriend: Very earthy. Patchouli and musk with some lighter notes way in the background. It smells a lot like Omen, so I'm assuming the other familiar note is juniper berries. It's really a lot like a lighter version of Omen.

Oberon is the masculine version of Dublin--a misty forest, but with no sweetening or softening. The juniper and patchouli anchor the scent, and, on me at least, the orchid is dark and rich. Not that I can really pick out notes--just this lovely dark strong scent. I nearly gave up both Oberon and Titania, but I love A Midsummer Night's Dream too much. I'm glad I came back.

Bottle: bergamot and orchid, mainly..

Wet: add to those the patchouli, coming up from behind.

Dry: I can just catch the white musk, and it;s combining with something to head in a decidedly soapy direction.

Later: s.o.a.p. white musk + floral = soap?

I was able to try this from being a part og Quikslvr's GC Circle Swap.

Oberon was pleasant, but quite masculine- it almost reminded me of aftershave (a nice aftershave, but aftershave none the less).

reviewed courtesy of Quikslver's GC circle swap

avh_egc01.jpg

Oberon

first sniff: soapy men's aftershave.

tested wet: soapy men's aftershave.

tested dry: not as soapy but still men's aftershave. A very nice and appealing aftershave, but...

conclusion: nothing I want to wear.

2/5

oberon smells masculine to me. it smells just like powdery dryer sheets on my skin. or detergent. must be the juniper? this isn't really me so it'll go to swaps.

In the vial: Something tangy and slightly floral. A sharpness. Almost like a men's cologne.

On me: That same tangy/floralness. Perhaps some kind of citrus, like lemon? Yeah, this is starting to go very slightly Pledge-y on me. Oh well.

Verdict: Definitely not for me. :P

Rating: 2/5

This just didn't work with my body chemistry.

First Sniff: Lemon oil and soap notes.

First 2 Hours: Lemon Pledge.

3 Hours: The Lemon Pledge is still there and the Ivory Soap notes are now emerging and are very strong. Must scrub off!

I recieved this as an imp with an order. I am not really into this scent and wouldn't have tried it otherwise. I have gotten imps with orders that I would have never tried and ended up liking more than the scents I chose myself. I will have to say it has very good staying power. After scrubbing it off in the shower I still smelled faint wafts of it throughout the day.

In the Imp: Very sharp smelling, piercing even. I assume from the nose tingly green-type smell it's the juniper and bergamot.

Wet: Holy Crap! Just too sharp and strong. I'd almost call this obnoxious. The bergamot, juniper and patchouli are most noticible, the orchid and musk are a little too timid for the other three I think.

Dry: I had to artificially dry this blend down with some alcohol, it was entirely too intense for too long on me. Almost fifteen minutes after the application of said alcohol the smell is lessened a bit and the orchid and musk are taking on a bit more stength.

Throw: Jumpin' Jehosephat, this will knock you down with its throw!

Overall: I think this blend is just too strong and ultimately too masculine for me. I can't say I'd really even like to smell this on a guy either. The strength of it might just remind me of those guys you run into that smell like they've bathed in cologne. *ick*

Based on the notes, I should like this. However, the first time I tried it I didn't like it at all. I tried it again as part of the GC circular swap. Now I remember why I didn't like it -- it is too sharply floral at first. But overall it's too lemony for me (juniper berries and white musk both tend to smell a bit like lemons on my skin). If I got orchids and patchouli out of this I would be very happy. Instead it kind of smells like dirty lemons and old lady perfumey powder. It's really freaky strong, too.

Oberon is initially just a bad, bad scent for me. Put musk, juniper, or patchouli on me, and there’s a 95% chance I’ll be unhappy with the scent. Put them all on me at once, and see how fast I can run to the bathroom to wash it off. Since it’s not as bad as the worst BPALs I’ve tried, I force myself to keep it on and to not rush to wash off. I’m hopeful that it will morph into something pleasant with time. While it doesn’t morph into something pleasant, upon dry-down, it becomes… well, for lack of a better word: “fascinating.” It’s a strange combination, and odd mixture of notes. I’m actually growing slightly fond of the juniper in the scent as it fades and becomes little more than a mere decoration that serves to simply emphasize the other scents. The orchid becomes more vibrant and the sweet juiciness of the bergamot peeks through, and sure enough, this turns into a scent that I find very fascinating. I don’t know exactly what I think of it. I think I might like it, oddly enough. I’ll be hanging on to it and giving it another trial run very soon.

First rush of Oberon was heavensent, I thought I had found THE one. Citrusy, bergamot with orchid...come to mama. Then spice came in, it changed, quite nice, but not the rush it had been. Then spice became SPICE, and from that I don't even know what. My throat got furry and OMG, get it off of me! :P Must be the juniper berry, egad, the worst reaction I've had to any oil or product. Oh well, maybe I'll find one without the ugh factor.

straight sniff from imp is a very earthy and pretty scent...

once applied the florals amp up hugely followed by the spiciness of the juniper

berries....

quite nice although i never do get that lovely patchouli note ... :P

In the imp: The juniper is the tope note, making this astringent and sharp rather than sweet. However, the Orchid is definitely present and the bergamot is in the background reminding me, as it always does, of my morning tea. This is one of the prettiest florals I've smelled yet, but I'm too chicken to do more than sniff since it makes my eyes water. Back into the Altoids tin it goes.

Oberon-

In Bottle: Lemons? Wups--that's all I have time for, I seem to have spilled a drop on my thumbnail. On to wet!

Wet: Strong lemon musk, if there is such a thing. Hmm. Masculine, sure. A little cloying, a little eye-watering. And now I just sneezed. Will stop sniffing wrists and wait for a little more of the dry-down.

Dry: Much nicer on dry-down! A pleasant lemony musk; not a favorite but something I might try when I want to feel musky and masculine. I do feel...powerful...in this one.

Overall: Conditional but I like.

In the box: You see, this imp aspolded en route and was scenting up the whole works when I opened my package. Fortunately, I liked what I smelled.

Wet: I found enough to rub on my skin, and it was an interesting mix of lemon and the spicy floral of orchid. The bergamot/white musk combination worked almost exactly like it did in Dorian, but somehow was much better with my chemistry.

Drydown and wear: I quite liked this--I think that the deeper notes were able to effectively deal with ones that don't work on me so well. I fully intend on ordering another imp to replace the broken one.

This is a great unisex scent if you're looking for something light and fresh. It's a bit too generic perfume/aftershave for my tastes though, so off to swaps.

This had a lot of nice qualities about it. The outdoorsy but polished quality of it seemed very Oberon to me. I found it to be a little too store-bought mens' cologne for repeated use on my tester husband though.

imp: ewwwww...I think I'm going to hate this. Must be the orchid.

wet: BLEEEEEHHHHHH! Old lady extraordinaire!!!! It has the old-lady-stuffy-bathroom-soap thing going on...and it makes me want to sneeze!!!! EEEEEEEEEK!

dry: keeps getting more and more rancid----washhhhh offfff nowwwwwwwwww!!!!!

Got this imp to because it sounded interesting, was a nice surprise.

In vial, I get the sharpness from juniper, slight hint of the clean/bitter bergamot but mostly sweetness from the orchid. Not bad but was a bit nervious.

Wet- Almost washed it off, at first sniff was WAY too "girly" because all I could smell was the orchid barely grounded the patchouli and soft musk.

Dry- Was still way sweet but the other scents had "twisted" it a bit so now it reminded me of woods and wild flowers and not a cute brunette ina lil black dress. Couldn't really pick out anything though, all jumbled together.

Dry (about 15 minutes)- The orchid and mush have both morphed into a sweet slightly floral scent. You can't actually tell what it is but it smells good, the others are in the background mostly, 'cept for the juniper which has gone soft (almost like an empty cup of juniper berry tea.)

So far it's no longer a strong scent, it's soft, almost powdery. Have to say that this one is gender neutral, it could truly go either way depending on body chemistry. Little sweet but I'd probably still wear it once in a while but not sure some would. Then again, I've been known to wear a kilt and do other things a lot of guys wouldn't.

Edited by Shollin

Bottle: soft, faint, wete , white sparkling flowers

Skin I: sharper, wet, white sparkling flowers with some white musk and a touch of earthy powder

Skin II: drier, powdery white petals

A very pretty scent. Visually I see white flowers with drops of water on them, a white old-fashioned looking house, and lace gloves. It's a gorgeous floral and not too heady, though it has a lot of throw and lasts a while. The scent isn't as pretty as it wears on, it gets a little dry.

Edited by fairytale22