Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shriekingviolet

Antique Lace

Nostalgia encapsulated. A soft, wistful blend of dry flowers, aged linens, and the faint breath of long-faded perfumes.

Creamy, soft vanilla. Very innocent and sweet-smelling. It goes a little sour on me on the drydown and smells a bit like spoilt milk, but I'm keeping the imp I have because it would suit me for layering, I think. I was excited to try this scent after all the wonderful reviews, and it certainly is beautiful. Edited by Shollin

I bought an imp of this from the lab as soon as it became available. There was so much raving about it that I just had to know!

antiquelace2.jpg

Imp: Soft, unassuming, non-foody vanilla. There is a really pale powdery/musky/whisper smell to this. I already put this up in the “two word reviews” thread as “vanilla whisper”. I think that’s really fitting for this.

Wet : As before, soft powdery and dry floral, a hint tart, and a smooth light vanilla. I’m probably over-influenced by the name, but to me, this really does smell like perfume that has faded to a lasting memory. Like what you’d expect your great grandma’s wedding dress to smell like as you pull it lovingly from a box you’ve just discovered in the attic.

You know, this is even a tad soapy, but in that wonderful way that so rarely happens to me.

Drydown: Pretty constant to wet, except that it loses any tartness it has and mellows to a classy perfume from our ancestors' glory days. This smells like a really luxoriously high-end vanilla soap. Antique Lace is beautiful.

Lasts all day (still an smell after 10 hrs), fading to a sweet but still detectable memory of a memory.

Overall: I love this. I wish I'd discovered it before MY wedding day so that my wedding dress would smell like this when my great granddaughter finds it. :P I really want a bottle. But I have SO many vanillas (dorian, dragon's milk, snake charmer). But this is different. See how I'm justifying it to myself…hehe….

Edited by jewelbug

This is just beautiful. It reminds me very much of a perfume I used to wear before I discovered BPAL - Stila's Creme Bouquet.

It's sweet vanilla and soft florals. Nice throw. Seems to be growing more intense as it dries, so I imagine this will last a decent amount of time.

I'm glad this was resurrected so that I could get a chance to try it. :P

After trying this months ago and being "Meh." about it (I did the SAME thing with Snake Oil), she haunted me until I gave her another go. Now, of course, I am back to tell you how much I love her. ...a little soft, a little feminine. It is clean and sweet and is just a little breath of perfume, but it really hangs on through the day. What is that dried out...wood? violets? It is almost like a breath of Ouija, but sweeter, creamier, richer.

The musk and vanilla do great things with my skin. I have been wearing this when I want something more understated, like going to work, wearing a crochet shawl and a flowing skirt with my nicest pair of sandals. One of DH's favorites... :P I often get complements from strangers and friends: from children, co-workers, and guyes in the bars.

I have gone through a 10 ml, a 5 ml, and 2 imps. I am about to buy another bottle and never want to be without her.

Edited by lookingglass

I really wanted to like this. I love vanilla and foodie scents. But it was sooooo icky sweet on me I had to wash it off. It was like drowning in sugar syrup. (Which is odd - I like Sugar Skull and other sweet scents.) My nose may not be educated enough to say why, but this really disagreed with me.

This is exactly as so many described.

Mostly a powdery, musky vanilla - with a teeny touch of soft, white floral, maybe a spot of amber.

The vanilla in this is a medium one to me - not too sweet, not too dark/dry and surprisingly, this never gets cloying on me as so many do.

This is not my usual kind of scent, but I actually really love it and may purchase more in the future, but here's the thing...

This smells nearly identical on me to - yes, it's blasphemy - Gap Vintage Vanilla EDT! Again - no idea what drew me to that one (as I'm not a vanilla scent lover at all) but I was out shopping and spritzed myself and loved smelling it all evening and went back to buy it the next day. So I'll have to use that up first.

In the imp: Soft Creamy Vanilla

On me: Still vanilla-y, but now a little bit muskier with some super light florals.

I really like this one, it smells so girly and pretty.

As soon as it was available again, I ordered an imp of this to see if I too, would love this as much as most forumites seem to. Short answer: I don't.

There's a note that tickles my nose and turns my stomach; I don't know what it is, but it's the same off note that I got from Milk Moon and Flower Moon. Also, upon application, something morphs into a plastic scent--seemingly as soon as it hits my skin. Which is a shame, because it sounded so lovely, but I guess this one is just not for me.

In the vial, this smells almost like incense. I was surprised, since it doesn't have any notes that scream 'incense!' to me.

Wet, this is a sweet vanilla, with a hint of florals. No trace, at all, of whatever made it smell incense-y in the vial.

Dry, the florals disappear, but the musk comes out. This combo lasts several hours, until the musk fades away a bit, leaving just the vanilla and a hint of depth.

The vanilla in this was a bit syrupy, like the stuff you put in coffee. Overall, this is a nice scent, but I don't think I really like it on its own - it's a bit too basic, with only two notes and little change. It's *great* layered with other scents, though. (I really like it with Harlot. :P )

Shortly after this was re-released, I made a huge imp order and included this with it. I wanted to see what all the hype was about.

Well, in the imp, I get vanilla with LOADS. OF. BABY. POWDER. Whoa. I'm gonna smell weird. :\

So, I put it on. :P Up close? Baby powder. Far away & wafting? Diaper. Kinda. It's getting a little soapy now and.. Boo. I'm not sure I like this very much. Yeah. I smell like a clean baby diaper. It's not a EW GROSS smell, but totally not something I want to smell like. :D

In the imp: Everything I could want a scent to be when I'm in the mood for a sweet, gentle, relaxing and girly scent. Vanilla and soft florals.

Wet: The same scent in the bottle lasts for about 30 seconds. And then it all goes to badness.

Drying: Powdery, and I'm getting a real strong image of a Victorian parlor with moldering paper fans and many, many dried flowers. Also in not such good condition.

Dry: Is there lilac in this? Because my head, it hates the lilac, and immediately takes its revenge in headache form. It smells very...powdery purple vanilla. Like something from an aged Willy Wonka gone wrong. *shrugs*

It's also incredibly stubborn, and four washes of the wrist later, is still evident. I wanted to love Antique Lace, but perhaps I'm a bit too modern for this scent. Am glad I have the imp for reference purposes, but am also I have *only* the imp. I would've cried if I'd given up the chance to get more Stardust before it goes away by buying a bottle of Antique Lace.

Oh wow. I understand the Antique Lace obsession people seem to have--this is lovely. This was my first "creamy" scent, and I wasn't sure how creamy would smell.. I don't think it smells so much like cream as it has a creamy quality, if that makes sense. Soft and creamy and lush and vanilla-y and elegant. Just beautiful, an immediate favorite!

Edited by katalia

Antique Lace is a very very pretty vanilla on me. Completely inoffensive, but without much...omph. It smells like a very nice pretty vanilla, some dried flowers - like a bouquet that has been dried and then wrapped in tissue and put in a cedar chest (basically how my 8 year-old wedding bouquet probably smells about now), and not much else. I wish that I got more musk from this, but I don't.

I like it, but I cannot see myself buying a bottle, to be honest.

I don't review many scents, but I had to review Antique Lace because it's my absolute favorite scent (and I'm wearing it today :P ).

I'm not going to write separate reviews for in the bottle/wet/dry, because it's one of those rare blends that stay exactly the same for me. So ...

AL is the perfect sweet floral white musk perfume. It reminds me of little-girl perfumes, the kind that grown-ups aren't supposed to wear but secretly want to. The vanilla is light, and the florals are very, very soft. It's not overpowering, but has a lot of staying power.

It's worth noting that AL is thus far the only BPAL blend with vanilla that doesn't turn at all funky on me. I was a little wary because vanilla does strange things on me (plastic Play-Doh smells) but this isn't the same. I love it.

i'd been sooo curious about Antique Lace, even though i wasn't sure if it was a 'me' scent, so i was all over it when it was re-released. i am ridiculously happy that i bought a 5mL of it unsniffed. i tend to be a bit of a.. well, let's just say that if perfumes were boys, i'd be a slut!! however, Antique Lace, was just the right thing to wear for a grown up, confident and altogether lovely air about one's person. it's really creamy on me, and i got an floral that reminded me a tad of cherry blossom for sheer creamy-dreaminess!! :D and on me, i love to wear it with my marshmellow body butter from Sephora.

i think this is such a lovely blend that i can see giving it to the gals in my life - my mom and my sis. it's just *swoon* it's beautiful :P

Remember Jovan White Musk? Antique Lace is similar, but infinitely better.

On my skin, the blend is mostly dry white musk and creamy vanilla from start to finish; I don't really get the faded perfume/floral thing that others have mentioned, but there is a little extra unidentifiable something adding depth. Somehow, Antique Lace smells warm and cool, all at once. It is graceful, unpretentious, mature, and undeniably feminine. Very soft and pretty; suitable for daily wear. My significant other and I absolutely adore it; AL is currently my number one favorite and will remain in my top ten, I'm sure.

This one doesn't morph on my skin, has a moderate amount of throw, and typically lasts 4+ hours. I have a 5ml and I've decided that I can never go without Antique Lace. I'm so thankful that Beth brought it back so noobs like me could discover it.

A very pretty vanilla with some extra bits and bobs to make it all light and airy. It doesn’t smell aged to me at all: as well as the vanilla, I get crisp linens, pale carnation (or some other gently spiced floral which gives it a little depth), white musk and a touch of baby powder. It reminded me at first of Morocco and the vanilla in Regan and Dorian, but also the floaty off the skin vanilla feel that Black Opal has on me. The longer it wears on me though, the more I’m reminded of its similarity to Morocco. But where Morocco makes me swoon, Antique Lace does not. I think it’s because Morocco has the addition of those lovely spices, extra carnation and a hint of cassia. And as Antique Lace dries down, though not horrible (and it does fade), I get an odd sort of ‘oily powder’ note. Having said that, the sillage between the two is very similar (and beautiful), though Morocco has more warmth, and I can definitely notice the differences between them close up. It lasts a long while on my skin; I put it on at 8.30am one day and five hours later it was still going strong. Overall, I like it, but it’s not a love.

Edited by ViolentKitten

oh my...

I've been so looking forward to trying this, and I'm not dissapointed!

it's delicious, creamy, sweet and musky, with a pretty strong throw (this isn't a fragile little thing!)

It doesn't change much on me, but that's a good thing.

another "cold dead hands" bottle (pry it from them!) :P

I wonder if it changes as it ages....

Yup, just as powdery-sweet as expected/promised. There was a strange sour note in it for a little while, but that cleared up and made it pure, somewhat musty vanilla.

It's perfectly nice, a touch sweet for my tastes (I'm not a big vanilla fan), but while on its own I wouldn't keep it, Joseybird is right -- it layers excellently with Three Witches. It'll probably be useful for sweetening up other scents that need a hint of sugar, so I'll hang onto it for that.

first sniff from bottle ..... this is a very light musky and vanilla blend.....

it really does not change much with my chemistry even after a few

hours with the exception of getting that danged play-doughy scent i loathe......

soooooooooo sad for me... :P

i wanted to love AL esp after it had been re-released and all....

oh well....AL went off to a home where she can be loved to eternity.....amen to that :D

In the bottle: Sweet and soft. Like a soft down pillow that's been set outside on a summer day.

On me: rather vanilla but a soft wispy vanilla.

Dry I get the vanilla musk too.

I really like this one and it's not too over powering I can wear it to work.

This had the potential not to work on me. BPAL's Linen note usually doesn't like me and florals are always iffy.

So I open the imp and its the BEAUTIFUL dusty, creamy scent. On my skin, it stays the same. THIS is what I want vanilla to smell like! Its creamy and dusty, with a touch of florals. I'm getting violets and lilacs maybe?

Color me surprised! I'm getting a bottle of this at the next update

*jumping on the bandwagon*

When this got discontinued I wasnt sad because I didnt know what I was missing. I wasnt really interested in it...I didnt want to smell like fading perfume.

So when it resurfaced, I thought let me get a bottle and see what all the fuss and crazy ebay auctions were all about. It was the first thing I opened when my last order arrived. The others still lie in there bubble wrap.

I love this. It is my new fave. I love the vanilla and muskiness of it. Its perfectly sweet to me but not in a foody way. I will be ordering another bottle of this just in case it goes awol. I have a feeling this will get better with age.

Oh, please let this work on me! It sounds glorious and I've heard wonderful things about it. Please! :P

In the bottle - This is truly a light vanilla with a hint of linen. And am I picking up some white musk? VERY faint, but lovely.

Wet - ...sandalwood? *ogles* I'm picking up a very sizable amount of something very dry and incensy...

Drying - I kid you not, it's a strong incense with a linen crispness to it and just a very faint touch of something that smells vaguely like a commercial white musk. The heck? I can get that sense of floral others are getting, but I'm nearly 100% certain that it's neither jasmine nor lilac. In fact, it's actually working with my skin chemistry, so I'm nearly possitive that it's a white floral.

Dry (One hour later) - The strong incense is fading, so the linen and the vanilla (finally) are coming out a little, but it's very faint. Despite it's faintness, I really do like the subtle sweetness. It isn't at all what I was expecting, but it's nice.

Overall - This smells almost exactly like a lighter version of Hinoki Pagoda from Pier 1... At first it especially smells like that, very strong and dark, but then fades out to allow the other notes to shine through. If I remember correctly, the main scent (in that candle scent, at least) is hinoki cedar, so maybe that's what this smells like...? It an interesting scent, regardless. I'm going to keep my imp, just to see where it goes.