Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shriekingviolet

Antique Lace

Nostalgia encapsulated. A soft, wistful blend of dry flowers, aged linens, and the faint breath of long-faded perfumes.

This is a sweet and slightly mysterious perfume.
In the bottle and upon initial application, it's very very light. It makes me think of baby's breath. Those little white clusters of flowers that come with big rose bouquets. Innocent and unassuming.

It definitely has a powdery aspect.. but what is strange about the powdery smell is the fact that it kind of dissipates after the oil has dried; when most other "powdery" oils start off nice and dry down to powder. This oil dries to a sweet vanilla with minimal powder. I like the muskiness, it adds a bit of a "unisex" edge to Antique Lace. Not every guy could get away with this perfume, but I think it would be absolutely breathtaking on the few who could.

The final drydown is a surprisingly strong and complex vanilla. I'm shocked at the throw, since this oil started out so faint. I would not compare this to Black Opal. I really think they smell almost nothing alike. Black Opal has sharp edges where Antique lace has fluffy, misty ones. I also wouldn't compare it to Regan, which is a much more floral vanilla.

I pretty much wouldn't compare this to anything, it really stands on it's own. Antique Lace is a lovely, nostalgic perfume that really embodies it's name and concept. Wonderful stuff, Beth.

Much thanks to shelldoo for sending me an imp of this one <3

Antique Lace reminds me of a lot of things. Mainly, baby powder. Somehow this isn't making me sick or putting me off as that baby powder smell usually does though. Perhaps because the powder is mixed with a gorgeous creamy vanilla fragrance. It also smells lightly floral, making me think of the tiniest white flowers.

I shouldn't like it (I normally hate powder and white florals) but I do. It smells very innocent and a bit sad on me. I'll be keeping my imp and buying a few bottles of this to enable my friends. :P

This one seemed very pale to me. Very soft and pale. It didn't fade or anything though. At first it had vanilla and flowers. Then after it dried, it was very creamy and sort of milky. It reminded me a little bit of chaste moon. It was delicate and pretty. It really was nice and it surprised me a little that I liked it.

I was worried based on previous reviews that Antique Lace would be far too powdery on my skin. Baby powder is a scent that makes me queasy and I was really afraid that this is what it would turn to...

Thankfully it's nothing like baby powder. Powdery, yes; but not baby powdery. It's a fresh powder like in face powder. Sweet, but not overly sweet.

The vanilla note is soft and complex, I haven't smelled another BPAL where Vanilla was such a powerful yet subtle major note.

This was a pleasant suprise!

Just as everyone else has said, this is a very sweet blend, definitely!

It reminds me strongly of Coty's Vanilla Musk + Aquolina's Pink Sugar. It's quite strong, but in the bottle, there's really not much warning of how luscious and musky and rich the vanilla is; in fact, it's almost overpowering. As well, I detect a slightly sour edge from the florals.

I like it very much, but as it stands, it's a bit too similar to the aforementioned commercial perfumes for me to think of choosing this over the other two (which I also own). Since others have pointed out that it morphs significantly with age, I'll keep my bottle for now.

many thanks to OriginalWacky for the imp - I'm so glad to be able to try this!

I see what all the rejoicing is about since it's been brought back - Antique Lace is simply beautiful. Warm, soft, sweet vanilla. I get a bit of musk but the vanilla predominates. I never knew I was a vanilla fan before I found BPAL. Yes, it is very similar to Morocco and Black Opal. For some reason it reminds me of powdered sugar or creamy vanilla frosting. Yum!

Antique Lace

In the imp: a soft, gentle, barely there white musk.

Wet on skin: now the scent begins to warm up and come out…a gentle vanilla musk with a hint of floral.

Dry: oh yes, this is the scent I love. Sweet, soft vanilla with that gorgeous warm white musk-the kind I like to call ‘mmmmmmmmmusk’ because it’s so delightful, and with a hint of something clean and airy, almost ozone like…like freshly washed linen. Normally, such scents are a bit soapy on me, but this is a freshly washed sheets note that I love, it works fantastically in this scent, it doesn’t smell soapy but it does smell clean, breezy, fresh and white. With the musk and vanilla, and perhaps a fleeting hint of floral, possibly carnation, the combination is divine and makes me feel all cosy inside.

After a while: this is very similar to Black Opal, but much lighter and daintier. Now the vanilla note has strengthened, sweetened, it’s become even more lovely. I think the vanilla here is much stronger than Black Opal's and it's almost foody but the other notes prevent it from being so. Still the musk and the clean linen scent remain, this blend stays very consistent, if not improving with time.

Verdict: I tried this scent at a meet up with Fallow Deer when it was discontinued, and fell in love, and now I am so glad it is back for good, because this is a BPAL classic, and rightly so. It’s one of those vanilla-musk scents that Beth does so well, and it’s truly beautiful and unique-a combination of gentle yet strong vanilla sweetness with a comforting and warm white musk note, but backed by the slightly ozone like, airy, clean and fresh scent of freshly washed linen and possibly some floral notes. I totally understand the similarities with (good quality) Morocco, Buck Moon, Black Opal etc, but this is still different to those. All these scents have their own character, and Antique Lace has it’s own. This scent is comforting, downy, clean, sweet, nostalgic without being too old fashioned and certainly not ‘granny-ish’-if anything, this is the scent of youthful innocence of days past. It makes me want to curl up like a contented cat and purr with delight. Believe the hype, Antique Lace is a classic.

Edited by yeahbutnobut

I swapped for a 10 ml of this, unsniffed -- I am not typically into scents like this but I've had a couple of strangely wonderful experiences with musk/vanilla combinations (Dorian and Black Opal spring to mind) and I figure I might have a little niche of interest here.

It's not like either of them to me, but it has a similar soft white glow about it and manages to be sweet without being cloying or dessert-like. It doesn't sparkle with Black Opal's coldness, and it doesn't draw me in hypnotically like Dorian but it manages to be refreshing, cold, warm, and comforting at the same time.

Antique Lace is also a little more perfumey than I typically wear, but wait, the pale musk is warming the cold white vanilla...there's something else here, something that comes across at first as something like hairspray. I wonder if there is narcissus in it. I have a terrible relationship with that note, as it only smells like hairspray to me. If this has that dreaded flower in it though it vanquishes its chemical spray fairly quickly...and I think ultimately it just helps give it more throw and life.

I don't think I would have noticed this scent or wanted to try it if there hadn't been such a fuss over it when it was discontinued, but I think I will keep it around because it seems like something I could wear all year, day or night, for anything from a wedding to a funeral, to work or to a show, just a good all-around scent that will be there, quietly comforting you.

I will probably be sharing some of this and keeping most of it -- between this and the other vanilla/musks that have won me over, I think I'm covered!

Yummy vanilla in the same vein as Black Opal, but not as powdery and much sweeter. Almost cotton candy sweet, but vanilla musk sweet. I don't find this to be sexy, because it's not a hip smell, but the smell of something old. That just means I find this to be a really comforting, hug-me-now sort of scent. This is what your favorite old sweater would, or rather, should, smell like. At times, I find that it might be too sweet, but then later, I want to lick myself.

In the bottle: Sweet vanilla.

Drydown: Like licking a vanilla ice cream cone, cool and crisp.

Dry: Mmm, it warms up on my skin. Now it's sweet and cozy, like a soft old quilt that's been packed away with sweet sachets. I'm so, so glad it's available again because I know I'm going to be wearing it often.

Please tell me I'm not the only one who thinks Antique Lace smells kinda like Numb in the opening notes?? It's like Numb minus the violets. That same creamy, soapiness with a bit of a sharp edge to it. (This is the resurrected Antique Lace I'm reviewing -- ordered the day it was re-released). As it dries down, it takes on a more calm, soothing vanilla-musky aspect, but for a while there, it sure does smell like Numb's twin.

I love the drydown and can envision myself wearing Antique Lace quite often.

Antique Lace is definitely a BPAL classic.

On me it's a sweeter vanilla-ed Black Opal or less spiced Morocco---loads of musk and that mineral note that keeps the sweetness from being over the top. It's a very simple blend, and so pretty that I can imagine it being perfect year-round in almost any kind of situation. Antique Lace would be just right whether I'm at work, out with friends, watching tv...or at a monster truck show (I've never been, but I can imagine it would still be perfect at such an event). It's like the little black dress of BPAL.

When I sniffed it earlier this year at a Meet and Sniff, I wasn't so impressed. But then I got an imp from a friend and was hooked. I'm so happy to have my own bottle now. This is going in a roller bottle and living in my purse so that I can apply as needed.

as others have stated, i would put this in the same grouping as black opal and regan. it is indeed a lovely, creamy vanilla, but for me it's got a "perfume-y"/hairspray thing mixed in, that makes me like it a little less. i think the metallic edge that black opal has, makes that one a bit more mysterious (on my skin, at least.) antique lace does have a bit of that, but i feel it's more all-out "feminine" - like a B&B with too many old-fashioned ruffles or something. and Regan, with my chemistry at least, is a lighter, purer vanilla, without the perfume-yness. still, antique lace is very nice - let's call her the middle sister in between younger regan, and older, tougher black opal. or maybe she's their auntie? i don't know...

eta - i just pulled my imp out, for the first time in about a year, and wow - i am just loving this, desperately. i don't know if it's changed with age or what, but it is now so rich, thick and deep. i may need a bottle after all...

Edited by AliBabble

I think this is the vanilla I've been waiting for! :P It is very like Black Opal-a cool vanilla, with white musk. But Black Opal gets very sharp on me, with some floral undertones, while this stays the soft vanilla. I don't think it is really soapy, and all day I would catch myself going "mmmmm". :D This will be at least a 5 ml. Lovely.

Oh yeah, and it lasts. Put on at 9, still sniffable at 4.

Edited to add: tried it again, and got a very sharp, headachey perfumy hairspray note, with the soft vanilla underneath barely discernible. I'm going to try it again and hope it's just a fluke, but if not...:D

Edited by empi girl

In the bottle, the oil smells clean. Like freshly washed skin.

Putting it on, the florals emerge, and turn into a soft white bouquet, mixed with a little vanilla, a little musk, turning into a sweet powdery smell. This actually reminds me a LOT of Morocco; they must share quite a few ingredients.

This wears on for hours without fading or changing much. It's a soft vanilla musk, sweet without being foody or cloying. It's very lovely and soft and pretty. It actually has some qualities that remind me of Vanilla Fantasy/Vanilla Lace (my friend's staple perfume)... vanilla with just a hint of something else.

I'm glad this came back so I could get a big bottle. =)

Either my nose is out of whack or my skin seriously loves and amps vanilla, because that is ALL that I am getting from this. A soft, slightly powdery but still creamy vanilla. Something in it suggests that it will ultimately dry down to a cool white musk.

I can see this being in the same family as Black Opal and Regan, but while I didn't like those very much, I'm digging this one. Though not to the same degree as Dorian, which remains the vanilla-musk to beat.

I think I may have to wear this a few more times before deciding if it's worth a bottle.

In the imp: I can barely smell anything. Very, very faint soft vanilla.

Wet, on skin: Still smells awfully faint. Same as in the imp.

Dry: Whoa! Instead of fading as time passes, it becomes stronger and stronger. Soft vanilla, somehow melancholic.... Smells like a young lady from a vintage picture, in her boudoir. She is wearing a long, cream colored crinoline dress, with lace and ribbons. She is wearing a pearl necklace with matching earrings, and is carefully powdering her face. She is making herself beautiful and desirable, just in case she finally meets her prince charming... she does this every day, yet he never comes... she is slowly losing hope, but still does this every single day.

Very evocative. I keep getting wafts of it, hours after putting a tiny tiny drop on one of my wrists. It overpowers the 5 other scents I'm trying on, but is still not strong somehow, and it's never cloying, or sickening. It's wonderful.

I was thrilled to have the chance to order Antique Lace when it was brought back--it was one that I hadn't really noticed when it first joined the catalog because the description didn't list notes; it just sounded as though it would smell "faded". But THEN I started reading reviews and hearing the buzz and hated that I had missed it. And now it's mine! :D

And...OMFG, Pink Crack!!! Seriously, I was so bummed that Black Opal didn't really smell anything like Pink Sugar on me even though others had found similarities. But this--wow, this is a thrilling surprise! It actually does have the same powder/musk base notes as Black Opal, but it also has this gorgeous candy-vanilla topnote that I had hoped Opal would have and it didn't. It's more complex than Pink Sugar, of course, since this *is* a Beth creation, but it completely satisfies that craving and will layer over my Skindazzles Pink Crack lotion.

My association with the name Antique Lace is that it would be a good wedding scent, but it's more fun and girly than romantic; it's more of a bachelorette party scent to me! :P

In the bottle: Vanilla touched with light floral notes.

On, wet: White musk, I think -- if so, then I was definitely smelling white musk in Stardust as well; there's something very retro about that scent. The vanilla is a light hazy layer over the white musk.

Drydown: White musk and vanilla, more or less equally balanced.

Very feminine, and deceptive in its seeming delicacy. This one has a lot of strength and staying power.

Lovely stuff!

when this was still discontinued and i was pretty new to BPAL, the Lab sent me a frimp of this. i sniffed it and went "NO WAY" as it smelled just like baby powder to me, which is a scent that makes gag a bit.

i had arranged for a swap, and the day after i sent it off, the BF was over and asked me where "that lace imp" went. i had no idea he'd tried it, and he LOVED it. he asked me to get him a bottle, but obviously, i couldn't as it was discontiued, and bottles on Ebay were way over my price range.

when it came back, i ordered him a bottle as part of his xmas BPAL haul. he was thrilled.

this morning i dabbed a bit on my arm. in the bottle, it still smells like baby powder in the worst way, but within 30 seconds it became a gorgeous soft vanilla that i actually *like*. i couldn't believe it!

while it's a bit too soft and sweet for me, it's a pleasure to know that i can wear this if i'm at his house. for me, i'll stick to Snow White for driving him mad. he can have the AL. however, it's still a pleasureable surprise, and a lesson in BPAL's morphing on the skin. the vial is no indication!

n.

This is beautiful. There is the fresh linen clean scent that I get from Dirty, mixed with dried, pressed flowers, and a creaminess. It's a very dignified oil, that makes me think of the Victorian Age (minus the crushing corsets!)

Antique Lace: What else can I say that has not been said already about this blend. A nice vanilla musky floral without it being to grandmotherly. This could be Snow White's mother. I like it. :D :P

This is very, very faint on me, yet it has some throw because I can smell it wafting around. I can't pick out any particular scent. Like very delicate, dust-soft powder? Yes, sort of. Like vanilla? I guess. A bit of a creamy-white floral, like what you'd imagine baby's breath flowers to smell like? Perhaps. It smells very nice...but on me, it's as flat as the word "nice" is.

ETA: I finally get why everyone loves this so much. After settling awhile on my skin, it smells like a creamy yet non-foody vanilla. Almost like wearing the scent of ice cream/whipped cream/marshmallows, something like that. It's very comforting and light, and good for every day, every occasion.

Edited by faifai

In Bottle: Sweet vanilla ice cream

On Skin: I have been dying to try this scent for over a year now… when people told me it smelled like cotton candy. Sadly, it does not, but it does smell delicious. It starts as super sweet vanilla ice cream… then the florals start to come forth. The florals are light and not overpowering (yay!). This scent is perfectly described by the word “nostalgia”. It’s comforting and aged… like looking through a box of old loved things. Very pretty and womanly.

This is another one that keeps ghosting in on me, even when I'm not wearing it. I didn't really care about trying it -- really, linens? Not my thing. But the Lab included a frimp in my last order, and I tried it just for kicks, since everyone was excited when it came back. Dang, that's some good smelling stuff. At first, it didn't really wow me, although I loved it; it was a sweet white perfume, smelled kind of ghostly and a little grandmotherly. But it ages into this absolutely lickable creamy vanilla that makes me want to nibble my wrist. This is like the opposite of 13 for me, scent-wise. I ordered a 5ml immediately (ah, impulse buys).