Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shriekingviolet

Antique Lace

Nostalgia encapsulated. A soft, wistful blend of dry flowers, aged linens, and the faint breath of long-faded perfumes.

Antique Lace 2017 was my first introduction to Laces. 😊 And I actually hate most vanilla scents - they are always so cloyingly artificial, and tootootoo sweet, and give me headaches.

But, Antique Lace is incredibly sweet, and warm, almost cloudy-fluffy. I wasn't actually on board at first, because I was so distracted by the initial extreme sweetness. But as it dries, it's just lovely and warm and cuddly and sweet - the sweetness dries up and mellows out, so it isnt overwhelmingly strong.

Which is excellent for me! 😊 I'm so glad I gave it a chance!

I just finally got ahold of an Antique Lace and I was extremely excited to try it because it seems to be everybody’s favorite. I get it and although it smells great, on me it’s almost identical to Snow White. Not in the bottle but a minute after I put it on it’s exactly Snow White and I have a 80% full bottle of SW, So I’m gonna wait and see. But it last on my skin for a long time and on fabric FOREVER! 

Edited by Asal Nouri
Wanted to get rid of a part that I wasn’t sure if it followed the rules and also added how much it lasts.

I was hoping for more of the flowers, but I'm getting pretty much just vanilla on my skin.  I love vanilla, and this is a nice soft vanilla, but it's just vanilla.

...This smells so familiar. Like... Nocturne Alchemy Moonstone! Yes, very much similar.

Antique Lace is actually my first lace. It is so different to what I thought it would be based on the description and I can see why. It is sweet, creamy vanilla and fruity but very softly floral. I can't help but compare this to Moonstone though-- same creamy vanilla. I also found out other people have noticed they are similar so I got my Moonstone out to compare.

Both are very similar, but Antique Lace is oh so slightly more floral in comparison, and gets more so as it dries down and less creamy/more powdery. I honestly feel so thankful that I tried Moonstone first as it is one of my all time favourite perfumes without the cost of trying to find discontinued bottles! (For now!)

Medium throw, good wear length.

2017 version. This is a pleasant, sugary vanilla musk scent. Simple and sweet. I prefer a bit more spice/other elements with vanilla musk, so I don't think I'll be hunting a bottle down. I am glad I got to sample this, though. 

2017 version
This. Is. Stunning!
This is the vanilla I've been searching for. It reminds me of something but I cannot for the life of me recall what. Maybe a little bit like VS's Vanilla Lace, which I used to love wearing during my Navy days. (I liked smelling nice on the ship around so much metal and stink, haha).
On my skin this is vanilla and soft linen. I don't really get florals so much, which is fine with me. There's a softness that isn't powdery, thank goodness, but still snuggly.
OH! I know what this reminds me of now. My beloved Two Goats and Two Sheep Resting Together in a Field, also from BPAL. It's the same snuggly vanilla but lighter without the wool and vetiver.

On 6/26/2017 at 10:02 PM, doomsday_disco said:

Note: I have never tried the original.

In the bottle: Warm, sugary vanilla musk, the same found in Stekkjarstaur! INSTANT LOVE.

Wet: Warm vanilla musk, and I'm not sure if it's the vanilla or something combining with that note, but I'm reminded of Pediophobia. I think it may be the dry linen note. I'm not getting anything that's noticeably floral at this time.

Dry: Ah, now I'm getting the dry flowers! The vanilla musk still dominates. For some reason, I'm getting a breath of something reminiscent of Morocco – perhaps it's the warm musk, or maybe it's just my nose.

Hours later, it's exactly like Stekkjarstaur minus the marshmallow root.

Verdict: LOVE. I'm so glad that I was able to try this one and lucky enough to have gotten two bottles! I am sure it will become even more stunning with age.

I recently received a tester of the original Antique Lace from a very generous forumite, and I tested it against the 2017 version (I had the OG on one hand and 2017 on the other).

And I realize I'm about to commit BPAL heresy when I say this, but...

I prefer the 2017 version to the original. :eek: :ack: 

The original is far more complex. It starts off with this candy-sweet, almost too cloying for me floral note (maybe mimosa? but I am not sure) and some powderiness that I think is due to the dust and dry flowers (I think baby's breath is among these dried flowers). Over time, the vanilla cuddles up to the musk and really starts to bloom, so that it ends up being a gorgeous dusty vanilla musk infused with some dry flowers after a day of wear.

It's beautiful, but the cloying floral note during the wet phase makes me enjoy the 2017 version more, even though it is just straight up vanilla musk without the original's complexity.

I'm thrilled I got to try the original version of Antique Lace, and I understand why it is so sought after! But I'm also glad that I dodged a rare bullet by being basic enough to prefer the 2017 version. :lol: 

I snagged a bottle right from the Etsy page out of sheer curiosity of the hype (I have no reference for the OG blend though). It is amazing that you get that antique, old linens smells right from the bottle. Just dusty enough for the feeling, otherwise that vanilla comes through beautifully. It's sweeter than I expected (despite skimming reviews beforehand). I don't quite get florals but there is a touch of powder in the wear down. Not bad. I can see why people find this cozy and comforting. Too strong on the vanilla for me though.

I have the 2017 version and have not tried the original!

I would say that this smells a lot like an airier version of the candy coating on a freshly opened pack of jordan almonds. It's quite sweet and vanilla-y! I feel like it's got quite low throw, and has that tendency to go a little plasticky on the drydown like some vanillas are apt to do. In fact, it reminds me a lot of Posset's Silver Vanilla, which also did this plasticky undertone thing fro me and is definitely in the same family. I wish there were a bit more of that cotton note, but I think Flickering Lights, Fluttering Curtains might be the superior vanilla AND fabric-y scent. 

Very soft and delicate, definitely evocative of lace and all that jazz. But oh my goodness, please, instead of overpaying for a bottle of this on eBay or elsewhere, just do yourself a favor and buy a bottle of Nocturne Alchemy's Moonstone. It's got a much higher throw and is a clearer, smoother vanilla than Antique Lace but is nearly IDENTICAL! Moonstone is a staple for me- I wear it all of the time, layer it with things, etc. AND, it's general catalogue over at NAVA so you don't have to worry about running out. You can even buy a giant bottle of it there. 

If you have a chance to grab Antique Lace at a reasonable price (Like, $35 or less) by all means, go for it, but if you find yourself loving it and lamenting how hard to find it is, just please try Moonstone. Or even Posset's Silver Vanilla if you don't have trouble with vanilla going plasticky.