Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shriekingviolet

Antique Lace

Nostalgia encapsulated. A soft, wistful blend of dry flowers, aged linens, and the faint breath of long-faded perfumes.

The lovely dominant vanilla in this blend is what I usually want a vanilla to smell like in a perfume — this is how vanilla smells in my hopes and imaginings. Secondarily, I get musk, and also linen, browned with age and faintly musty. I don’t pick out flowers.

This is well-blended, and will be one of my favorites.

Edited by Casablanca

I let it rest for a day but couldn't wait.

In the bottle: It smells like a vanilla that's going to go plastic on me. Noooo!

On wet: Ok, well, no plastic! Yes! Very vanilla. My husband said "mmmm" so this is promising.

Dry: I swear, is this the Pediophobia vanilla?! It's lovely vanilla now that it's dried down. There's something high pitched in the vanilla for me that reminds me of Pediophobia, though. I am pretty sure 'dry flowers and linens' is coming off just a weeeee bit crayon-wax but I actually enjoy that? Plus my husband is like, in love with this one. He's huffing my wrist without me asking.

Verdict: keeping at least one bottle. Maybe I'll just keep both because my husband is never this interested in my bpal... He is adamant that this is amazing and I should bathe in it. I like it, but not as much as he does!

2017 VERSION

I have some of the original incarnate that I pull out only for the most special of occasions since I wore this scent on my wedding day. So I was *extremely* excited to get two bottles of this limited re-release. While I won't dab the original on my arm, I know that scent well enough that I feel confident I can compare easily.

In The Bottle: As others have mentioned, it's like original Antique Lace with the yummy vanilla amped up by about 20 additional notches. I personally have NO problem with this :D

Wet On Skin: It's becoming more of a "Vanilla Sugar + Antique Lace" situation at this stage.

Dry Down: For now, it smells as a less-strong version of Antique Lace mixed with a heavy dollop of Vanilla Sugar. I believe that this will right itself in the long run, but that as with several Lab scents, it needs some time to rest and age to bring it to its full potential.

In the incredibly off chance that it doesn't prove to be identical to the original, I will still love this version for its own beauty and will wear it frequently. :wub:

This reminds me strongly of the Portrait of a Young Woman with Unicorn HG. It's something about the combination of vanilla and amber, maybe? I haven't ever smelled the original version, but the 2017 is an airy, warm, very very slightly floral, vanilla musk.

An absolutely lovely warm vanilla musk with some gauzy linen. Absolutely intoxicating! I get it now.

2017 Version:

I put some on just before getting in the car with my kids. My four year old yelled "Mom, you smell like marshmallows!" They're his favorite treat, so this is high praise.

I get delicious vanilla with a soft ivory floral underneath. It's sweet but not foodie and hasn't tended toward plastic. At the end of the day, I get old, gauzy lace - like a doily in an old library...there's something a little dusty and book-ish underneath.

When it was announced this was available, I bought some without even reading the description because I knew it was such a cult favorite. It totally deserves the hype it has gotten for so long.

AL 2017 reminds me of Dorian without the tea, or NAVA moonstone vanilla. it's very "young goth" in spirit, transporting me back to hanging out with friends in bedrooms, that mysterious scent aura (alluding to but not including wafts of RIT black dye and manic panic) that surrounded us while we played records and made brilliantly bad art. it smells so nostalgic yet this is the first time I'm smelling this legend. :lol: it's nice, layers wonderfully with deeper, darker scents. it's divine against oud. not getting much floral and it doesn't smell like any marshmallows or cheesecakes that I've eaten.

2017 version. My first experience with the fabled Antique Lace and it lives up to the hype! Soft, cozy, snuggly, comforting. Sepiatone. A little waxy, maybe the barest hint of smoky. Dusty feeling without being dusty smelling. Vanilla without being foody or sweet. This would be great everyday scent and/or I would wear this to get married in. It makes me think of an old sleeping gown, liquid ink and fancy parchment paper, dried baby's breath flowers, giant melty candles, and an unsweet dessert like panna cotta or pound cake. Divine! Thrilled to have gotten the chance to have this beauty!

I am so so so so so sad right now.

In the bottle: AL '17 smells like Original AL

wet: things start to go wrong... something smells off and not like original AL

dry: at times it smells absolutely beautiful and I get whiffs of it and think, this is AL and other times all I get is plasticy vanilla. UGH Original AL doesn't go plasticy on me at all and neither does Pediophobia. It reminds me more of French Vanilla Single note which does have that tendency. I am so disappointed, it's not the same as original AL for me at all. Maybe aging will help, I don't know. I tested original AL a few days ago and it was lovely everything I remembered.

Antique Lace 2017: I've never smelled the original AL, but I'm so glad I was able to purchase the resurrected version! It starts out a strong sweet non-foody vanilla in bottle and on skin, and as it dries I get scent of a dried crumbling bouquet of flowers with little puffs of baby's breath. Later on the dry down the vanilla wafts around me like a cloud and up close I can smell the delicate scent I get when I open the hat box that holds my vintage and antique corset collection. Definitely soft floaty vanilla and aged linen. I love love love this scent and am glad I took the chance and bought backups. My mom and my hubby have also complimented me when wearing it as well.

In bottle: Damn this smells amazing. Of course I'm going to end up falling in love with a perfume that goes for 100$ plus a bottle! I was counting on using this as a great Oil to have to swap for really rare LE oils I want. But I'm guessing it will be a keeper... just my luck!

Wet: Such a nice vanilla. This is not a gormaund vanilla. It does smell like what an antique vanilla perfume would smell like. The lace is not fabric softener at all. Wow, this is great.

Dry: Lasts quite a long time, medium throw. I never smell anything floral. This is def a Antique vanilla perfume. Smells so comfy. I really hope this comes back! Should of ordered more bottles. The lace in this is different from the Lace inn Black Lace. It's not fabric softener at all. But it does smell like cotton. Old Vanilla perfume spilled on a Lace wedding dress 100 years ago.

Keep. Sell my first born child for. Long lasting, decent throw.

5/5

I have a super aged imp of the original, and I can say without a doubt that they are not the same. In the bottle, vanilla and not much else. Maybe a whisper of floral. On, gorgeous vanilla, leaning towards foody territory on me, and not much else. The original definitely has a dusty, floral vanilla quality. Old fashioned, but not old, like a crisp wedding dress with crinoline, airy and beautiful. I wonder if there was a batch variation, or maybe my bottles need to settle a bit. Not saying I don't like it, but it's not like the original. No dusty floral in the newer version. On me at least. Just a tad disappointed.

Edited by milo

I am thinking there is a difference in components between original and the 2017 version. Not at all surprising, given the length of time that has passed. Or it's possible that my skin chemistry has changed, although my old bottles of AL wear just fine still.

Something in this, I'm guessing the vanilla, is going a bit plasticky on me. Original AL never did that on me, even when fresh. The only thing that keeps me from wailing in despair is that the ultimate dry down (ten hours later) is the faintest trace of the true scent of AL close to my skin. This gives me hope that a bit more aging will resolve the plastic issue, and I will once again be able to slather with abandon.

Will update in a few weeks with the results of my retest! :D

I have put off testing this for a bit, because I wanted it to settle, and because I'm terrified I won't like it! I tried Antique Lace way back in 05/06 and HATED it - got rid of it. Now my tastes and chemistry have both changed. This smells amazing in the bottle, so I'm hopeful! A generous friend gave me a tester of the original too, so I am going to do a side by side.

Left arm - 2017

Wet: Beautiful. I agree with others that have noted it's an almost-but-not-quite gourmand vanilla. It's not buttery, but it's rich. It's utterly gorgeous, and reminds me of the NAVA vanillas...but even better. As it dries it picks up a faint dusty quality that is quite pleasant. It's light, low throw. So, so pretty.

Dry: It goes kind of weird on me - does this dry "stale" thing that some gourmands do on me, but then it recovers, and is a beautiful pale vanilla with hints of florals, and a real "antique" vibe. They captured that so well! This is very light and feminine and so very wearable. I will enjoy it, and am glad to have some.

Right arm - Original

Wet: Oh, wow, these are not the same AT ALL. This is more floral, high pitched, and is doing a bit of that "hair spray" thing that tuberose does on me sometimes. It's settling as it warms on my skin though, and the vanilla is coming out more, and it's the same gorgeous vanilla note. It just has more of the florals, which could be an age thing? It's stronger, as well.

Dry: These are similar, but different. They have a different feel - the original has a "clean" feel that the new version lacks. The vanilla note is similar, but maybe not identical? Hard to say. Could also be the florals that are slightly different. Any way, it's hard to say whether that is the result of age or what. I am glad to have gotten to try some of both!

2017 version

For me, the new Antique Lace is warmer. I get the dust and lace, but there's this gorgeous warm vanilla booze musk that it dries down to. Unfortunately, it has little to no throw on me. This may have to find a more loving home.

2017 Version

The original had been discontinued before I got into BPAL, so this year's run was my first chance at smelling it...and wow, I totally see what all the fuss is. This is the most gorgeous musky vanilla, with the long-faded perfumes mingling with just a hint of dry florals balancing the sweetness out (as someone who is a rare fan of florals, this is magical).

Fantastic throw and longevity - enough that I catch hints of it all day...but not so much that I feel like I am overwhelming the people around me (although I'd still wear it if it did, because I enjoy it so much). I am so glad the lab did a rerelease of this, and that I was lucky enough to snag some.

2017 version: Honey baby sweetheart, how I've waited for your return. Back in the day, over a decade now, I blew through the 10 mls of you. When my babies were small, and I could only afford a bottle or two, it was you and Snake Oil. Oh, god how I've missed you. The vanilla musk is yes... so much yes, with dry, earthy, greige florals...you're sweet, and sad, precious, and delicate, but unmistakably you. You are no other. My precious....

Really glad to have a tester of this. Gorgeous vanilla and creamy. I think "wistful" is an apt term for this. Low throw, good wear time. Looking forward to getting more.

Note: I have never tried the original.

In the bottle: Warm, sugary vanilla musk, the same found in Stekkjarstaur! INSTANT LOVE.

Wet: Warm vanilla musk, and I'm not sure if it's the vanilla or something combining with that note, but I'm reminded of Pediophobia. I think it may be the dry linen note. I'm not getting anything that's noticeably floral at this time.

Dry: Ah, now I'm getting the dry flowers! The vanilla musk still dominates. For some reason, I'm getting a breath of something reminiscent of Morocco – perhaps it's the warm musk, or maybe it's just my nose.

Hours later, it's exactly like Stekkjarstaur minus the marshmallow root.

Verdict: LOVE. I'm so glad that I was able to try this one and lucky enough to have gotten two bottles! I am sure it will become even more stunning with age.

Edited by dementia_divine

2009: "This was a long shot scent for me, though I tend to really like vanilla lately, having it as the main component is a bit much on me."

Oh 2009 Erin, you should have held onto that Antique Lace. At least for comparison to the 2017 Antique Lace which is amazing :wub2: The throw on this is negligible, but better than Solstice Lace or Tattered Lace on me by far. And now I LOVE vanilla, so I will be holding onto this decant with tight, grabby hands. Mmmmm. I agree with dementia_divine above - warm, sugary vanilla musk with just a hint of flowers on me.

The new version doesn't smell like the original, which I have some bad feelings about. I don't think it's really right to sell something with the same name as a highly sought after blend, at a marked up price, when it's not actually the same fragrance. Original AL and this new version have the same name and both have vanilla in them, but that's where the similarities end as far as I can tell. Original AL lasts all day on me and is really strong, and it is powdery and has an old fashioned, dried florals and vanilla dusting powder with heavy vanilla cream thing going on. Almost buttery vanilla as it dries down, with the vanilla powder and dried flowers... there's also something like a hint of clean, starchy fabric. It makes me think of old wedding dresses, love notes and dried flowers in an attic.
New version AL has none of the powder, old fashioned, dried floral or heavy vanilla... this is more like a bright vanilla musk and burnt vanilla sugar. It's quite similar to Bath & Body Works' Warm Vanilla Sugar, actually. It has a clean, plasticy edge to it as well.

New version AL also doesn't have very good throw or staying power. I can barely smell it past the one hour mark and it's definitely gone by two hours.

Edited by Little Bird

Original AL is a holy Grail scent for me and I absolutely adore it. I've been SO CAREFUL about using it because it's teh precioussssss and now having smelled the 2017 version I'm onboard The ship of "These Be Different."

I'm also impatient and didn't allow the oil to rest, but I still think it stands. I'm hoping that aging alters 17 AL but the biggest change I note immediately is the lack of intense throw. OG AL could close you in an intense sweet cloud of vanilla with a few drops and 17 AL seems to sink into my skin and disappear like a magician. Poof!

17 AL is still a lovely scent and I'll be sure to test after it's rested longer and report back, but if 17 and OG were heavyweights in the ring, OG would whoop 17 straight back into Mommy's loving arms.

Le sigh. I'm still hoping it ages well and as I've never smelled AL fresh, perhaps this is how it smells before the aging process turns it into the equivalent of olfactory gold?! :P

Edited by Labylove

17 Antique Lace, never tested the original. I'm immediately taken to my kindergarten classroom in rainy Washington state smelling this. I have no idea what Mrs. Butts, yes Mrs. Butts, sprayed in the air but it's uncannily similar to this.

It's a comforting smell on me. Very beautiful vanilla. When I close my eyes and sniff I can imagine walking into a house with sheets thrown over the furniture. So grateful it doesn't go plastic on. I have only worn it maybe twice but I did catch it on my shirt a day after application. I haven't been disappointed with the throw.

Antique Lace 2017

I was fortunate to be able to attend C2E2 this year and they had bottles of the famed Antique Lace!

Wet: Vanilla and a linen. It's is a warm cozy scent that just envelopes you. As it dries down it turns into the most wonderful creamy vanilla I've ever smelled. I always want to wear vanilla but it always ends up smelling too much like a baked good or artificial. This vanilla is none of those things to me. I have never bought a backup bottle for anything until this scent.

I can't believe I never got around to doing these.. whoops!

Original AL

Wet: Warm vanilla, and a kind of clean linen smell.

Dry: Borderline-buttery vanilla, the faintest whiff of flowers, and a little bit of that clean linen smell. It is.. so stunning. :heart:

This was one of my first 5ml purchases from the lab, and I'll be so sad when it's gone; I'm down to half a bottle!

2017 AL

Wet: Much fainter than the original version. This is more like a vanilla musk.

Dry: Very faint vanilla musk, and a touch of clean linens.

I probably won't wear this again until my original bottle is all gone, and hopefully by then, it'll have aged into something stunning. ;)