Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shriekingviolet

Antique Lace

Nostalgia encapsulated. A soft, wistful blend of dry flowers, aged linens, and the faint breath of long-faded perfumes.

when I first smelled it I was very surprised to smell a very nice and soft not foody vanilla. I guess I expected to smell some flowers to.

I do love vanilla a lot :P and I always get a very comfy and sexy feel when I have a vanilla scent on, Antique lace is no exception ... but this is not ordinary vanilla ... just very hard to describe since I'm not (yet) used to describe smells !

I must admit, the description of this one doesn't at all do it justice -- there's nothing faint or dry about it! Maybe as it ages it mellows, but this Lab-fresh imp was quite gooey.

I found Antique Lace to be stiflingly sweet, very vanilla and linen, very Grandma's house (nostalgia, indeed.), with that semi-cleaning product ~thing~ that linen seems to do on my skin, and extraordinarily strong, with a thick, viscous throw that oozed off my skin for several hours even after being washed off.

While not an unpleasant scent, it's not one that suits me at all. Off to swaps it goes.

from imp: similar to Dana O'Shee, but without the almond bite. A VERY pale blue vanilla smell. Smells really, really good, girly and light.

On: Oh. My. Goodness. So gorgeous. At first, pure vanilla, but like a memory, not the in your face stuff that vanilla can be. After a few minutes, the "long-faded perfumes" kick in, saving it from being JUST vanilla. This is the scent of my grandmother's curtains to me... They were not vanilla scented, but it evokes the feel of them, soft and translucent, gentle and feminine, and predating stark "modern" decorating sensibilities. This makes me want to hide in a clean, furnished attic reading old love letters as the sunlight streams in through the window, very Jane Austen!

This is so clean, fresh laundry dried with something vanilla instead of citrus. I could see making regular wear of this, since it is so pretty but not overpowering (though if you huff it enough, you certainly can manage to OD on the vanilla, it is just the way of things!), just one step towards "perfumed" from "clean." Almost definitely going on my bottle list! The only thing holding it back is that intermittently the "linen" aspect seems to recede leaving almost exclusively the (still light and airy) vanilla... I wish the florals would peek out a leeeetle bit more to make the vanilla slightly more subdued, but I'm thinking it may not be that big of a problem. ;)

ETA: Alas, somewhere a few hours in this became Choking Death Vanilla. I won't write it off just yet, but it will be important to apply lightly, even though it is VERY light going on, lest the Vanilla Beast consume me totally. I like the smell of Vanilla, but it was just so perfect cut with the airy florals.

Edited by starryeyedcrocodile

OMFG!!! I did not think that I was really going to like this one - I just tried it because I had heard so many people swooning over it that I figured, "What the hey?" Well, this is unimaginably gorgeous, and I can instantly see why people hoard. This scent is SO true to its name...something about it reminds me of a smell that is so familiar from my past but that I cannot place. It is very lightly foody, but like a deliciously vanilla thrift shop smell. That sounds like it could be wrong, but trust me, it is oh so right! There's something a bit like ozone to it, too. Oh God, I'm going to eat my arm now!

So this is what love at first sniff feels like, huh? Now excuse me while I go amend my top ten list accordingly...

:love!:

ETA: My boyfriend and I both agreed that the best way to describe this scent is "waffle cone in a second hand clothing store" - but NOT, he adds, a second-hand waffle cone! I still likey this one a lot...

Edited by TheOneTheyCallLuna

When I first put this on it was an almost too sweet vanilla. Usually Tombstone is my go to vanilla scent, so this is quite different.

Once it's been on for a couple minutes, it takes on a cleaner, slightly more floral scent with the vanilla. It's also got a hell of a throw.

To be honest, I'm not sure how I feel about it. It's just a bit too close to how I remember those vanilla perfumes I hated (like Vanilla Fields?) smelling.

That said, there is something about this that keeps making me sniff my arm. I'm very conflicted. LOL

I will keep the imp and try it again. I do think it would be great for layering though.

In the vial: A sweet, girly scent. Not very appealing to me.

Wet: Vanilla with a touch of floral.

Drydown: It mellows down into a warm, rich, creamy vanilla. Yummy!

Overall: Definitely a bottle for me! The drydown of Antique Lace somehow reminds me of a Dior perfume I once had...

It's a very light, almost pale vanilla with what I take to be a floral scent of some sort mingling politely in the back. It is a very fresh scent, less foody than Dorian turned out to be, and makes me think of a little girl exploring her grandparents' attic to find a trunk containing her grandmother's wedding dress nestled within the folds of tissue paper, the lace having turned a creme color and the scent of her grandmother's wedding bouquet--which had once lay across the dress--still clings to the garment though it has been cleaned. I totally see a bottle of this in my future as I'm completely addicted to vanilla scents.

:ugh:

Kind of sharper (???) than what I go for, kind of floral, kind of "cotton-y" or reminiscent of linen, both dusty and very clean at the same time. Incredibly sweet.

Synesthesia says "white."

Not for me! (Apparently, I prefer to smell dirty and evil.)

Very warm and sweet vanilla. It is reminiscent of a Tahitian vanilla yet it is vaguely dusty and reminds me of something soft and warm that just came out of the dryer. A little of this seems to just last and last. I applied only a few tiny dabs on each wrist hours ago and it's going strong as if it is still wet and fresh. There is a hint of the cotton-y vanilla that is present in Black Lace, almost like an innocent little sister of that blend. Very creamy and sweet to the point of being almost overwhelming but it is not at all cloying.

As I apply this oil, I can definitely smell dried flowers and linens, with some vanilla sweetness. It's a non-foody vanilla, though. As it dries down, this develops a funny stale, almost quality about it.

It's definitely sweet as well as being lineny. Something in this, though, smells "off" to me, like the scents aren't coming together correctly. I get vanilla with a bitter "aftertaste". Since I have had definite problems with a good portion of vanilla scents, I suspect that there's a particular vanilla that just doesn't work with my skin chemistry, and that's what is in this scent. Too bad! But I'm sure it will be a good one to use to enable other people I know, judging from this scent's popularity.

Recaplet: Musty linens with bad vanilla. Sigh.

My rating: 1 of 5 (I'm not fond of it.)

Color impression: Tea-stained ivory.

Nice simple vanilla with a hint of linen. I much prefer this to Mouses' Long and Sad Tail in terms of wanting a nice plain vanilla. Maybe a bit too simple for some people but I like it a lot. I think it might be good for layering too as I like lots of vanilla in everything.

5/5 :wub2: Will need a bottle!

I had resisted trying this one, even though it had a lot of good press, because I didn't like the sound of a "linen" note. If this is worrying you too, dont let it.. this blend is instant :wub2:

In the imp: Yes-- similar to Dorian in feel. Vanilla with florals, but also with a candy sweetness (but not TOO much!) and what I guess the lab's linen note.. that's way better than any linen note I've smelled before!

On: I'm having a hard time describing this-- I think an above reviewer put it well as "Tahitian vanilla" because it's warm and sweet but not really foody, and there is a floral aspect, but not like "roses" or anything. It's powdery and clean and ever so slightly spicy. Not anything like the description makes it sound! I shall be getting a bottle ^_^

I think this fits well into my family of scents such as Morocco, Mouses Long and Sad Tale and Dorian.

In the imp: Vanilla musk! Oh, this is so much prettier than what I expected. It's a soft, sweet, milky scent—if I had to give it a color, I'd say ivory, because it does make me think of antique clothes and the way they yellow a bit—that's definitely the "aged linens." Yet it isn't musty or old-lady-ish at all, just warm and comforting. There are florals here, but very well-blended and almost impossible to pick apart.

On, wet: Still musky, soft vanilla sweetness with a touch of clean linen and equally clean, sweet white flowers. I agree with the reviewers who compared this to mallow flowers, because it definitely has that round, soft sweetness. There's a little touch of something almost dusty here, but it's faint. I keep picturing a carefully preserved antique wedding dress handed down over time and Victorian dressing tables and yellowed, well-loved love letters, still holding a trace of perfume.

On, dry: The vanilla has become stronger over time, and there's less of whatever it is that smells like mallow flower, but otherwise, this is unchanged and as gorgeous as ever: clean, soft, sweet, feminine, vanilla floral with a very slightly powdery edge. It reminds me a little bit of the Vanilla Fields perfume that I used to adore (along with every other girl in my high school), but this is so much better.

Later: Unchanged. Graceful, sweet vanilla goodness. There's maybe a bit more of the dusty/powdery note, but not a big difference. Still good enough that I want to do nothing but sit and sniff my wrists.

Overall: This is so beautiful, and I know without hesitation that I want a big bottle of this one. This imp is just not going to last long, given how much I love this. It's sweet and light and soft, in every sense—not obnoxiously, sugary sweet, not loud at all, but just subtle and warm and terribly comforting. It's very feminine and a little old-fashioned, maybe, but in the best possible way; this is the kind of nostalgia that makes you feel good. :wub2:

In Imp: Soft, wispy vanilla with dusty linens, I can't detect the flowers but what I can detect of the vanilla and linen is really nice. I'm already loving the vanilla in this and it does conjure up good images of dusty and antique things.

On Skin: Linen and vanilla, the vanilla is upfront and despite smelling delicious, it's not one of those scents that makes me want to eat my arm. The vanilla never turns too sweet, it stays dusty and powdery and pretty. This is really elegant.

Dry Down: Linen falls back a bit more, letting the vanilla really dominate the scene. Antique Lace has great staying power on me. Five hours later and I can still smell it without bringing my wrist up.

*sigh*.....well I think this may be it for me :wub2: I want to drown in this stuff!!

On me, it's not so much Vanilla as it is Violets. Beautiful, natural smelling Violets. Like the ones that used to grow in my garden when I was a kid and I would pick them and put them in a Vegemite jar in my room and inhale them until they were dead.

This also lasts a long time and I keep getting wafts throughout the day. I just love this. Love love love. I was a bit worried that everything from bpal was smelling a bit incensey to me.....not AL

I'm going to buy 3 or 4 bottles :twisted:

Imp: Vanilla and something clean

Wet: Ah! Vanilla and linen. That's what that was. I really hope that linen doesn't turn to laundry soap

Drydown: Still soap...

:( Man...I really wanted to love this. I'm all about vanilla, but the linens are going a creepy kind of soapy that overshadows the gorgeous vanilla that I know is back there. Oh well...Someday I will find my perfect vanilla.

It is a very nice and comforting oil. I rarely smell it after ten minutes but when I wore it to work I got lots of compliments. Someone even said they kept on smelling whiffs of vanilla all day.

A definate keeper :heart:

This smells a lot like Morocco and Black Opal. I think they share the same light and almost powdery yet cloying/sweet vanilla note. There's not much more to Antique Lace than the vanilla. if I huff my wrist while its still recently applied, I get some light, vaguely pretty floral tones, but there's also something quite sharp. After it dries, it's that sweet vanilla with a faint, clean powdery edge. This isn't particularly potent in terms of throw but it does last a long time on me.

I was hoping that I'd like this based on all the positive reviews, or hoping that it would be a great vanilla to layer with things that need a bit of girly sweetening sometimes, but it's just the wrong shade of vanilla for my tastes and my chemistry. I guess I've finally learned and accepted now that highly vanilla-centric scents, no matter how well loved, simply aren't my best bet.

There is a similarity to Morocco here. This is soft and light, I think it may be the lightest BPAL I have tried yet! A vanilla floral, creamy and delicate. I actually wore it to the office today. It had a bit of a comforting vibe to it. I like it, but I'm not sure how often I'll reach for it.

Before getting it: It sounded just heavenly. At least in the way that I'd want a room to smell, long forgotten memories replaying in your head.

In the Bottle: The only surprise is that I could swear there was some baby's breath in this. The rest was exactly what I thought of. Memories, my grandmother's sewing room with all of her fabrics and linens. My mother's living room with her soft potpourri.

Wet & Dry: The exact same. Perhaps a little more baby powdery after dry down, but not annoyingly so. My first instinct is that this seemed like something that would be better as a room spray, than a perfume. Still, I do love it. I wear it fairly often.

Initial Sniff from Imp: Aw, it smells like a baby!

Wet: Oh, this is nice. Dainty and delicate, snuggly vanilla and a touch of linen. Very comforting.

Dry: The same. I don't think I'd wear this on its own, but I will definitely purchase a bottle for layering.

Out of 10: 8

It was not what I had expected when I read the description. I was really thinking something old lady like or really heavy and sweet. But wearing it is a different world. I get more compliments wearing Antique Lace then any other scent. I had a 16 year boy who came into my work that kept asking to smell my arm because he liked it so much! :eek:

It is vanilla and musky. To me, it is very feminine while still being extreamly sexy. It is not overwhelming, it is there, but in a support capacity. This is a demure sexiness. Not the low-cut black dress, this is the eyes over your glasses across the room at HIM (or her), confident but not egotistical, sexy not slutty. This is your cheering section. This is your supporting actress. This is your best outfit, with your best makeup, your best hair and your best shoes. This is the soundtrack to your best day. :joy:

I went through a bottle in 4 days and it will most likely be in my top 5 forever. It has quickly become my signature scent. So much so that I have inadvertantly scented the mouse and keyboard pads at the front desk I work at. This is to me what Manolos are to Carrie Bradshaw. And if I layer, I use this as a base.

It should be in EVERY BPAL stash.

'nuff said.

10 out of 10 :wub2:

At first it was a nice vanilla, but a little sickly sweet with some musk. Now that it's dry, I totally get why it's called Antique lace. It actually smells like sweetly perfumed lace. There's definitely an old antique feel to this, but it definitely does not smell like grandma perfume. It reminds me of an old victorian portrait, or a proper lady wearing nice lace gloves and her musky vanilla perfume clinging to them even many many years later. It is very true to it's name, but the description on the website can be a little misleading. It kind of gives you the impression that this would be more floral. It made me think linen and florals and no vanilla...but this is VERY vanilla.

In the vial: Honestly, nothing special. Slightly sweet, slightly floral.

Wet: What is this remarkable scent? Yes, florals, but not scary florals. It's still v clean, but not too soapy or laundry. And throughout it all, vanilla. A gorgeous, lovely, subtle non-foodie vanilla.

Drydown: What more can I say? It's just the most amazing gentle floral + vanilla. Evaaarrrr!

Verdict: An amazing scent. I can't believe that this wonderful blend was once discontinued and I can't believe there aren't 50 pages of reviews. :P

When I smell Antique Lace, I close my eyes and I "see" clean, white bed sheets and clothes hanging out to dry on a gloriously sunny day. Surrounding the laundry line are mounds of vanilla blossoms (so yes, you can smell the vanilla but the floral and vanilla are both so subtle and intertwining as to suggest blossoms still fresh, still on the plant). And the gentle perfume of the blossoms being brought forth by the warmth of the sun-- all while being smelled by pressing your nose against the freshly washed sheets. This is easily one of my top 3 favorite BPAL blends. Ever. I want my skin and hair to smell naturally like Antique Lace. I want to buy gallons of this so that my room, carpet, sheets, pillow, everything smells like Antique Lace.

I am massively in love with this blend. :lovestruck:

Musky vanilla creme.

Starts swooningly good, but turns thinner and more like candy than a lotion.