Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shriekingviolet

Antique Lace

Nostalgia encapsulated. A soft, wistful blend of dry flowers, aged linens, and the faint breath of long-faded perfumes.

On me, this scent turns to the most delicious, and delicate vanilla. It has undertones of fresh linens that really stand out. Y'know how you remember what perfume your mom wears and it sticks in your mind and brings back memories? This scent has a similar nostalgic beauty that is very comforting.

Antique Lace is made of gorgeous.

I took a bath and put some on a bit ago to wear to bed.

It's soft vanilla, without being foody, quiet flowers, without being 'perfumy', and it all blends together with a clean linen and skin smell.

Utterly beautiful and relaxing.

edited to add: even my cats like this! 2 of my 3 cats laid next to me in bed and tried to lick my wrists and they snuggled closer to me than usual last night!

edited to add, part 2: the past few nights, this has become my wear-to-bed scent. It's so yummy and relaxing. Wonderful and I'm so glad to have bought a bottle unsniffed.

Edited by scarletgenesis

i was hoping i would like this. i imagined it would be like finding an old floral perfumed fabric from ages ago...

on me, i started sneezing and turned it to a floral mess as usual.

I know it has been said countless times, but this really is gorgeous.

It is very sweet and strong, but gentle at the same time. It is a creamy vanilla and vaguely floral, very cozy. Just beautiful.

This blend went through an interesting transformation during the period of time that I wore it. The first day, it had this horrible fake vanilla smell. It was awful. But on the days after that, it somehow transformed from that sharp, vile scent to a sweeter, creamier vanilla. As it dries, it gets a powdery air to it. I'm glad I was persistant with it. :P

Vanilla is predominantly what I smell in this. Any florals that are in it are very, very light and dusty.

This is such a pretty scent. It seems like something my mom would like, as she likes vanilla, but often ends up with candles and lotions that have that nasty plastic smell to it. So I'll probably keep this imp around just for her. :D

I thought I'd reviewed this once before, guess I just thought about it :P

I tried this frimp awhile back and didn't care for it much...it was mostly florals and kind of nondescript. But tonight (a couple months later) I brought it out again for whatever reason, and now I understand why so many love it so much! I thought aging took longer than that, or maybe my nose is becoming more refined.

Antique Lace is an airy but definite vanilla, with even lighter linen and florals behind it. The longer I'm wearing it the more I'm enjoying this vanilla. Not sure yet if I need a bottle, but I'm glad I gave this imp a second try.

Being that I'm decently new I had to add Antique Lace to 'my things to try' list after reading so many good things. And the lab seemed to read my mind and gave me a free imp.

This is absolutly amazing! :P Everything they wrote is true!

On and in the imp there is a faint smell of vanilla but its the kind of faint that you get when you pick up an old, dryed out flower and sniff it. It still has the same scent but theres a faded age to it and this purfume captures a faded vanilla scent amazingly! 5/5 Bottle worthy and then some!

I really thought I would love this. Vanilla is one of my weaknesses.

*sigh*

It was way too sweet for me. Once it dried down, it smelled like that vanilla syrup that people put into coffee drinks. I didn't get any florals at all, just overly sweet fake vanilla. :P

I think strangemodegirl has a good point - this is kind of reminiscent of the vanilla syrup at Starbucks. I like it that way though :P Instead of a strong floral presence I smell something more like very soft sweet woods, maybe sandalwood. Quite warm and pretty.

Yeah... received my bottle this morning.

OmG.. this is soooooooooo good!

At first its like the sheets, my grandma used to put on her bed.

They where old linen and she used to iron them .... I just loved it to slip in that bed...

When it dries and gets warm,

this reminds me of Dawn Spencer Hurwitz " Perfect Veil" - which I LOVE LOVE LOVE !

Like fresh washed skin, dressed in linen, with a flower bouquet in your hands... :P

I also get a hint of vanilla and something..uhmm.. maybe dusty ?

Something.. "faded" somehow..

This ones a winner, happy I got the bottle !

10 of 10 ... :D

Source: Lab imp

So, based on the description and other folks' reactions, I expected this to be a soft, wispy, elusive kind of scent. On me, er, not so much. I get ALL VANILLA ALL THE TIME. Straight out of the imp, after several hours, and even upon getting up this morning (I put it one before bed) it's way powerful.

Nor do I really get much of anything except vanilla from it, though there is something keeping it from being vanilla-extract-like. It seems like the same cool vanilla as black opal, but not nearly as subtle, although it's not overly sweet or foody at all. It's not that I don't like the scent, it's just OMGinmyface. I didn't slather it, either. (Imps last me forever.)

Apparently, I really amp whatever vanilla is in this. I haven't had this reaction before to the Lab's vanilla, which usually plays nicely with whatever else is in a blend. With this one, I'm going to have to be really, really sparing, though I do find it pretty. I don't like to think that my perfume preceded me into the room. Maybe it will mellow a little with age?

This is not at all what I was expecting. I was expecting the musty, floral sort of smell I got going through my grandmothers linen closets.

I got:

Wet: Lemon and creamy vanilla.

Dry: Creamy vanilla with the barest hint of something elusive and sweet.

Verdict: It I hadn't know this was BPAL, I would have thought it was a Posset, it has that same sweet foody quality to it that is reminiscent of the Silver flower series. And honestly, I like those better. So off to the swap/ sell pile she goes.

Vanilla all the time. There really is nothing faded, subtle or remotely complex in this imp. Not that it smells bad, it is just very very plain. I was expecting more florals and that "clean linen" note to be in there but it just smells like the vanilla in Black Opal to me and nothing else. :P

For a plain vanilla scent I dont find it rich and sweet enough so I am unsure about keeping it.

wowwee. this smells like a sweeter more feminine version of Dorian! with.. violets?! does anyone else get violets? im loving this!

This is a very pretty vanilla floral with a touch of freshness from the "linens". Something about this is very delicate and time-worn. I find it neither too soft nor too perfumey. It's very beautiful, and now that I retest it I can really see that Black Lace is somewhat reminiscent of this blend. This is like the lighter, younger version of Black Lace.

I know that Antique Lace is a very popular blend and I can understand why. I have had an aversion to vanilla florals ever since Vanilla Fields ruined it for me many years ago, but this is the return of vanilla florals for me!! Lovely...

This was the first blend I tried out of my very first order, which arrived last night! I got home from work late and was so excited to see the package in my mailbox. I put this on as I was getting ready to go to bed. I'm not very good at picking out the individual notes, but this is what it smelled like to me:

You're on vacation in a small rural town in upstate NY or New England, staying at a cozy little Bed & Breakfast in a rambling old Victorian house. The sheets on your bed are clean old linen, stored in a chest with dried flower possets amongst them. There's a handmade quilt on the bed, and as you crawl in and drift off to sleep, you dream of the fresh warm blueberry muffins and creamy tea for breakfast tomorrow, and a week of nothing to do but browse used bookstores and antique shops.

This is a very comforting scent, sweet and a little musty. It feels like a hug from your favorite person in the world. It's a little too sweet for me: not something I'd want to smell LIKE, but something I definitely want to smell. I'll keep this to scent my clean sheets.

smells just like Victoria's Secret "amber romance" to me... lovely warm vanilla, very comforting. Maybe not for every day, but definitely for comfort days.

I tried this blend when I very first started getting into BPAL. I thought it was so nice that I used it as a room diffuser but I used too much and it made me sick. I sent my imp away after that.

Now it's over a year later and I've been really loving my vanilla blends so I try out Antique Lace again while I was sniffing imps at morphmouse's house.

Wet: VANILLA with extras. I almost smell a floral, a hint of lemon and I could swear there is some kind of wood in here, maybe sandalwood.

On: So pretty! A really rich vanilla. A little goes a long way.

Dry: Gets a little sugary on me, which I like. A sugary, fuzzy vanilla and sandalwood.

This is my favorite BPAL so far. I'm afraid I'm going to run out of the Imp. Prior to this scent I didn't think I'd ever be interested in bottles. Now I am!!!!

This is the only scent that I didn't write about in my journal entry, because I put it on after a shower and I didn't bring my journal down to the bathroom :P

At first it smelled a little more complex than it does now. My dad sniffed when I walked through the room and I said "Does it smell good?" to which I got an emphatic nod. I had already decided this was a beautiful scent and the fact that my family likes it only makes it better, since we do live in the same house!!

Right now after 4 or 5 hours I have a faint vanilla smell with a little bit of floral mixed in. It's very warm smelling, and it hasn't gone powdery like Regan and Lyonesse seemed to. Yummy yummy :D

I'm going to be looking for more of this.

I'm sitting here on the butt end of 14 pages of reviews for this classic BPAL fragrance, what am I going to say that is new? Ha! I'll keep it brief.

It's a pretty scent, entirely evocative of its name and description -- vanilla, linen, a touch of sweetness and something that on me, goes a little powdery. Maybe a teense of florals, but not too much. Very Victorian, It's a girly-girl scent, yet something that I could see being worn by an 8-year-old to an 98-year-old. I can see why it's loved by so many.

imp: musk and linen and vanilla. this is far prettier than i expected.

wet: once applied the "long-faded perfume" note hits and gives this a little bit of sharpness. but there's still that musky-vanilla background.

dry: unfortunately, that sharp note doesn't fade too much. if this had stayed all vanilla-linen musk i would have bought a bottle.

It smells like vanilla angel food cake, linen, and a bit of perfume. It's light, but perfect--a little sweet, but not too sweet. I don't usually like scents this light, but this is such a great blend!

Antique Lace:

Preconceptions: Sounds old-ladyish from the name, but this seems to be widely regarded as very good on the reviews, so I will probably like it. I am not sure what to expect from the notes.

In the Bottle: Sweet, soft, white florals.

Wet on Skin: A scent remeniscent of sweetened white florals (like cottonblossoms) warms up and smells dusky at the same time, like old parchment or cloth (or antique lace!). I am thinking there is a light musk in this, like Vanilla musk. Its a little like cotton candy--vanilla that is dry and sweet. I don't know how but I smell a clot- like note that reminds me of linens.

Drydown: Sweet, warm and still like cotton candy but more dusky and dry, like napkins with dusted sugar particles. Sillage is pretty weak, it stays close to the skin but lasts a long time.

Overall Impressions: This is a soft, sweet lady-like blend. Its softly sweet, but not overpowering or foody, really. Classic and refined but gentle. Maybe a little old fashioned, but not girly or flirty. This would be great for everyday wear. Wish it had more throw. Definitely bigbottleworthy. Love it!

Edited by martiangurll

For me this was a very warm, sweet vanilla. Rather straightforward, since on my skin I couldn't detect any note other than the vanilla. It's perfect the way it is, but for me not interesting enough for everyday wear. Vanilla always reminds me of winter and Christmas, so it'll be a pretty scent for that time of year.