Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Aviatrix

Bog water etc.

This may sound strange, but I'm looking for a perfume that evokes bog water or the like. You know, damp, rotting greenery, maybe some heavy oak trees....just, like a bog.

Any ideas? :D

Bayou (A lazy, warm deep green scent with a thick aquatic undertone: Spanish moss, evergreen and cypress with watery blue-green notes and an eddy of hothouse flowers and swamp blooms.) might fit what you need, though on me, it went all hot, and not much of the water, but, skin chem and all.

Another one that I got warmish/humid woody swamp from was Niflheim (The House of Mists, a land of icy fog, shadowy darkness and soul-chilling cold. Dark, damp blossoms winding through an impenetrable, murky gloom.) but a bunch of other people don't get the warmth from it that my skin brought out somehow.

Edited by Saffrin

Faeu Boulanger (CD) is supposed to represent marsh lights. It has violet and it may be kind of light for what you want. It smells misty and weirdly metallic to me.

Bayou is mostly floral and wood to me.

The Black Swan (a retail salon) if you can find it, is a dark aquatic. Although it has lotus it's very evocative of a dark pond. All in all it was probably the best swamp scent I've tried.

I tried The Gilman House Hotel yule?, but it was a bit more sharp and green than I'd like. Also there's a paint thinner note.

Wiley's Swamp from the Sleepy Hollow Halloween series smells strongly like boiled chesnuts.

For dank rotting oak, Oborot (lunacy) and The Twisted Oak (Halloween) are two of my favorites.

Druid isn't exactly a swamp smell, but it is a realistic forest smell.

I suggest looking up scents with oakmoss or Spanish moss too.

Edited by patina

I <3 swampy scents, too. Nice to find someone else who likes them.

All the really swampy ones I could think of have already been suggested. Ameles Potamos doesn't smell quite swampy, but it does smell like a puddle of rainwater with a bunch of wood and leaves in it that are turning it tea-colored.

No Caliban (The scent of the salty seas, bittersweet wine, palm and tropical ferns) yet? It does have the sea angle, but it was marshy to me.

Dunwich (Dry, skeletal woods and moist marsh, dripping with the perfume of bog lilies) is good but it's pretty old at this point, not sure how easily you'd find it.

I think Montauk Project (Hagbark hickory, sassafras, black gum, bald cypress, pine, dogwood, wild comfrey, swamp sunflower, and trumpet creeper) would be very close to what you want.

Urgh, and there was another great Cthulhu-based scent. Not the recent Boundless Vista one. I'm pretty sure I'm thinking of Cthulhu in Love (An amorphous mix of oppressive, piceous ritual incense, macerated kelp, sea salt, sticky dark ocean plants, and… mixed chocolates).

I might be off the mark with this one (it's like an "idealistic" swamp vs a real one) but it seriously smells like a swamp that had a bunch of chocolates thrown into it. All the green vibrancy but with warm incense and the sweetness of chocolate. Not as "clean" as the others but definitely delicious.

still waiting on my imp to try, but maybe ekhidna is another option.

and I love boundless Vista. more tide-pool than swamp to my nose, and crazy delicious.

edited to say that Faeu Boulanger is on etsy!

Edited by annemathematics

still waiting on my imp to try, but maybe ekhidna is another option.

and I love boundless Vista. more tide-pool than swamp to my nose, and crazy delicious.

edited to say that Faeu Boulanger is on etsy!

Aww, now I want to try that. A tidepool scent would be awesome.

For bogs, Plague of Frogs, from the Hellboy line, might be worth a try. It definitely had a dark, rotting aquatics feel to it.

Ulalume is very boggy and swampy to me. It does have a strong lily note as well, though. Might be worth an imp if you haven't tried it.

I haven't tried it for myself, but Roux-Ga-Roux sounds up your alley: "Spanish moss, swamp jessamine, bog water, cypress, hickory wood, lobelia, sweet flag, wisteria, and marsh milkweed."

Thanks for all your recommendations!

Also, vthesiren, a scent that actually has "bog water" listed as a note is epic. :lol:

I'll try and find some imps. :smilenod:

It's more straight-up aquatic than boggy, but I found that The Spell of the Eastern Sea has a few more swampy notes in it than other aquatics. It might be the kelp and willows.

I want to second Ulalume if you can handle some florals in your swamp. On me it smells like rotting flowers in a bog. Luuurrrrve it!

It's GC, but being discontinued, so find an imp soon!

Tzi

CD: Faeu Boulanger

Ariadne Brunell - except the latter is mixed with lilies or another heady flower - reminds me of bike riding past some local dry reed creeks.

Worm Moon 2008 - the bog scent is stronger than the lunar component

(Edited to add extra rec)

Edited by mspixieears

It isn't exactly a perfume or BPAL, but didn't the Trading Post have a bath oil in this vein?

Yeah, here it is!

Dank Tarn of Auber

A gloomy, morose soak. Bog bean, oakmoss, bog myrtle, water hyssop, calla lily, water snowflake, bulrush, and marsh marigold swirling in dark, still water.

I mean, it was 2011 and so probably expired/impossible to find anyway, and I don't know if bathing in it rather than uh, wearing it is even what you want, ;) but it still seemed relevant, somehow!

Thanks for all the suggestions that just keep on coming. :wub2:

I have a lot to seek out and test for sure!

Ooh, forgot Plague of Frogs from the Hellboy series. It smells mostly ozony and clean (maybe a little minty) but there's a definite unwashed aquarium/ bitter green undertone that isn't exactly unpleasant.

No plants and it doesn't last long at all on me, but it's got the green murky water thing down.

Not sure if this'll work, but O on me smells of stale boggish water and play-doh hell...?

:lol:

I'm sorry to hear that, Valtiel!

If you can find it, Floater from the Who Killed Amanda Palmer series would be right up your street.

"Murky water, rotting leaves, and silt."

Sign in to follow this