Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Alethia

Help! Looking for spun sugar/cotton candy type scents

Hello lovely forumites! I've recently developed a hankering for sweet, sugary, cotton candy type scents and would love to hear your opinions on what the best blends are!

I have a bottle of Go to Sleep, Darlings from this year's Yules on the way to me. I'm also considering Mouse Circus, but the popcorn note (that several reviewers liken to peanut butter?!) scares me. And what about Boo? Would that fit in this category?

And perhaps most importantly, oh great hive mind of BPAL-dom, what scents have I missed?

High Strung Daisies smells like spun sugar to me: Daisy, pink carnation, pink pepper, and sugar. It is so sweet you can feel the crunch of the sugar... you know how cotton candy has the slight crunch then stickiness. yeah

PS mouse circus smells like buttered popcorn heavy on the buttered.... it is not spun sugar at all to my nose. I am pretty sure I disliked it enough to frimp out my tester. And I rarely do that. I am a hoarder. A bpal hoarder. nods nods

Thanks Elka! I didn't even think of High Strung Daisies! But that's too bad about Mouse Circus :(

Hello lovely forumites! I've recently developed a hankering for sweet, sugary, cotton candy type scents and would love to hear your opinions on what the best blends are!

I have a bottle of Go to Sleep, Darlings from this year's Yules on the way to me. I'm also considering Mouse Circus, but the popcorn note (that several reviewers liken to peanut butter?!) scares me. And what about Boo? Would that fit in this category?

And perhaps most importantly, oh great hive mind of BPAL-dom, what scents have I missed?

lick it now is delicious sugar, vanilla, sugar, peppermint and more sugar. I acquired a decant just for the novelty and ended up buying a bottle because I love it so much. it is a beautiful blend. it was my gateway to bpal sugar scents, and led to me also snagging a bottle of go to sleep, darlings.

la befana has a candied sweetness to it that is lovely, but not as strong as the other two.

I can't wait for the carnival to come as I expect there will be a couple of crazy sugar blends.

Sugar Skull! :skull:

And maybe Candy Corn Coated Candy Apple, if you're okay with apple.

Anything that has marshmallow as a note would probably be worth trying, too. I'm thinking Love, Boo, Marshmallow Poof & White Chocolate, Marshmallow, and Coconut ...

Edited by alterosen

How about Hope and Faith from the Carnaval line? They're both sugared flower scents.

Also, I'll second La Befana for pretty sugar scents, though perhaps more candy store than cotton candy!

Boo... Eerie billows of spun sugar, fluttering white cotton, and sheets of cream.

I love sugary cotton candy scents!

Mouse Circus is pretty great if you can get past the prevalent peanut butter/popcorn aspect it has when it's wet. Once it's dry, there's a really lovely cotton candy in there.

My favorite cotton candy-esque scent is Uncle Brian from the Pickman collection that came out over the summer. :wub2:

Other fun candy scents:

Candy Phoenix - smells just like sugared blackcurrant pastilles you can sometimes find in Asian supermarkets

Xanthe the Clown - for me, this is practically a bubblegum single note, with just a bit of white pepper around the edge to keep it from getting too sweet

Jailbait - also very bubblegummy

I'd definitely recommend Boo for that! Sugar Skull too. Boo is a light and fluffy sugar, rather airy, so probably the closest to what you're looking for, while Sugar Skull is more of a deliciously strong sugar...I imagine it's very much what melted, pulled sugar would smell like.

Thank you, everyone! My list just keeps on growing :D I'm definitely going to track down a bottle of Boo and Mouse Circus and then tackle the rest. You guys are great!

The very best I've tried in the 'sweet, sugary, cotton candy type scents' would definitely be Midway (or Midway Res), but that can be hard to find. For me, Mouse Circus runs a very close second... I don't get any popcorn or peanut butter (thankfully!!) - just a lovely sweet cotton candy with-a-touch-of-warm-doughnuts from that one... it's really pretty, and a good substitute for Midway.

As a comparison - on me, Boo is all vanilla all the time - like a really rich, syrupy vanilla essence - with a kind of buttercream tone. Like I've just whipped up a batch of buttercream icing and put a whole splash of vanilla essence in the bowl. So it's definitely sweet and sugary, but I don't get cotton candy from it.

High Strung Daisies is gorgeous - it pulls a little 'pink' on me, but the pepper gives it a bit of interest and it's a lovely fresh, sweet and almost-candylike scent. And of course there's Marshmallow Poof, but that one is very hard to find.

I know a lot of people loved the vanilla in Celeste, and got a soft cotton candy sweetness from it - personally, it was the kind of vanilla that goes sharp and nasty on me, but it's a huge favourite for a lot of people so that might also be worth a try.

I would also suggest looking for a tester of this one from BPTP:

L'ESSENCE DE L'ENGOUEMENT

French vanilla, pink candies, strawberry sugar, and orange blossom.

It's soooooo pretty... for me, it was more strawberry sugar/candy and orange creamsicle, but a few reviewers mentioned a cotton candy feel to it.

And for something just a little different, also from BPTP:

CHEWING LITTLE BITS OF STRING

Marshmallows, a bit of limp lettuce, and wads of soggy cotton soaking in a stew of tea (with lemon and honey!).

For me, this was a gorgeous marshmallow-y delight! Not quite cotton candy, but really soft and sweet and pretty. Don't let the lettuce put you off ;)

Good luck with your search!

I know this isn't helpful at all, because it's pretty rare/a prototype, but the Tilt-a-Whirl proto smells like pink sugary cotton candy to me!

Other than that, I found Capax Infiniti to be a sweet, sugary lavender, like if you had lavender flavored vanilla ice cream or cotton candy. I also noticed that Nymphia had spun-sugar listed as an ingredient, though I think the overall impression is a combination of freshness/florals/sugary fruit, and springlike more than anything. Sprinklecake is super sweet and sugary, but it's more icing over white cake! Deliciously sugary, though.

Maybe My Happy Day? "My Happy Day—Plum sugar, blackcurrant bud absolute, pink jasmine, effervescent elemi, purple carnation, honeysuckle nectar, and champagne grape." The jasmine wasn't very jasmine-y to me, it smelled like a bright sparkly purple sugar candy in my mind's eye. Similarly, Love from the same update was a marshmallowy strawberry-rose sweet dessert/candy type scent to me.

None of those are really cotton-candy per se, but those were the sugary scents that jumped to my mind!

Oh, and Good from the RPG line, is quite sweet and sugary! "Shimmering celestial musk with vanilla, white honey, acacia, and sugar cane." I like it a lot, though I think a lot of people found it too sweet. Then again, the honey might give it a different impression than the one you're looking for.

I don't think anyone has mentioned Blue Lollipops yet (Preschool graduation celebration! Blueberry-swirled blue lollipops!) it's not so much crunchy sugar or cotton candy but it is very sweet. It smells like blue raspberry lollipops taste.

Ooh! I had 3 recs, but 3rd got eaten by fast reply box when switching browser tabs…will update if I remember.

Velvet Unicorn - this is awesome, thought I'd hate it but it's textbook pink wispy sweetness!

Diary of a Lovestruck Teenage Cannibal - lots of notes listed but I get pink spun sugar amped up.

Again, not crunchy-sugary but I Fell In Love With A Floating Brain (Spongy grey and pink cake, with sweet strawberry cream, giddy carnation, and electrical pulses of white grapefruit.) is sweet, cakey, and candyish. It should work perfectly on me, I love all the notes in it but the strawberry goes plastic like some of the lab's strawberries do. :(

Anyway, worth a try at least. :)

The Kingdom of Sweets (from the Nutcracker Yule a few years back) is all sugar and candy. I second Velvet Unicorn and Boo as well.

it's so new and reviews are just coming in, but there's the clive barker sweets for the sweet that might be sugary enough for ya. and lemon-scented sticky bat is another sugary smell.

CANDY PHOENIX

A dusky, yet effervescent mix of pomegranate and black currant candies, with a dusting of sugared pear and white apple.

^ Candy Phoenix is my new love of the moment and I can't stop thinking about her. This scent just *sparkles* and while it doesn't have a distinctive sugar note, it reminds me of a candy shop selling assorted bonbons and cotton candy. Now I definitely have to track down her cousin Pink Phoenix and do a comparison. ♥