Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
kashmira

Imaginer

A report from the land of dreams: honeyed patchouli, Madagascan black pepper, fossilized amber oil, beeswax absolute, massoia bark, Egyptian myrrh, and a thin thread of blood-red saffron.

Wow, this one is a morpher, but really gorgeous! In the bottle, I mostly smell amber and honey. On my skin, it starts off sweet, but quickly dries down to a woody, almost earthy type scent. After a little bit, the myrrh and saffron eventually peek out, which on my skin, softens out the wood/earth notes. To me, this smells mysterious, exotic and very much perfect for a Clive Barker themed scent. This one is definitely a keeper!

In the bottle, this scent is mostly beeswax, honey and myrrh. Fortunately for me the myrrh all but vanishes once it's dried down on my skin- a rarity to be sure as my skin usually amps that note to next week.

The dry down is lovely, reminding me of a rich, multi-faceted incense. The patchouli adds some beautiful grounding while the woody massoia bark mingles with trace amounts of honey and saffron to create something sweet and rich without being even slightly foody. There is something about this scent that reminds me somehow of Pinched With Four Aces, though I can't site put my finger on why- I just know that I have a desire to add tobacco and coffee to this scent and somehow, then it'll be *perfect*.

This is, all on it's own, a beautiful, mysterious scent full of wanting and wandering the cold, grey moors. I anticipate wearing this some over the next month or two and then finding it aged and glorious next year at this time. Glad I have it!

To me this smells of honey and soil, in the best possible way!

It's the patchouli I've most recently smelled in Silkybat I believe. The honey is not overwhelming, and combined with the beeswax gives a really lovely earthy sweetness. It's a very "full" scent, with rich base and top notes. At once soft and powdery, but with a singing brightness too (perhaps saffron?).

Overall, this is just gorgeous! It's a shame it was so limited, because I think a lot of people would really like this one.

Imaginer is an intoxicating blend. In the bottle it's all amber and wood, but once applied the honey amps up a lot on my skin (in the best way possible). It's a soft, sweet honey rife with amber and bark--lovely, a hint oriental and very sophisticated. I'm almost annoyed at how much I love this because it's going to be absolutely impossible to get a back-up bottle!

Imaginer!! I snapped up a bottle online, and it just arrived, so its been sitting in the mailbox all day (in like freezing weather) and also I JUST put it on but here goes -

So its very much honey and beeswax on me, with amber and woods underneath. I was hoping for a more patchouli heavy scent as I am a patchouli lover, but theres a lot of honey at first. Its going sliiiiightly plastic on me as honey tends to do, plus theres that myrrh factor - I hate those resiny scents as they also turn powdery on me. It reminds me a lot of Tricksy! I like it but I"ll have to see how it drys down. Fans of woodsy honeys should look into this one!

My bottle arrived today and as soon as I had a sniff, I needed to put it on immediately. In the bottle Imaginer is honeyhoneyhoneyamberwoods. On my skin the honeyed patchouli emerges in a sweet embrace with the woods. So far I can't pick out any of the other individual notes besides a general impression of lightly spiced wood, maybe because it's just that well blended. It's the woodsier sibling of Feed Me and Fill Me with Pleasure.

If Imaginer is this magnificent fresh off the mail truck, while I'm hormonal, then I can only imagine its future fabulous beauty. Too bad I had to fall in love with such a rare scent, but that will just make it all the more precious.

I'm another reviewer who just had to try this fresh from the cold mailbox, where it sat all day today! So far this is a beautiful honeyed myrrh with honey on top. I can detect a very slight hint of the patchouli and amber, only a hint so far, but enough to deduce that this is going to age into something amazing! It's very pretty right now in fact, a slightly powdery honeyed myrrh, but I prefer to save my honey scents for warmer weather, so at the rate that our weather has been turning from cold to colder with no end in sight, maybe I'll be able to wear it in July. It should be well-aged and even more beautiful by then. It's funny, because I initally experienced some buyer's remorse after I ordered it, but now I'm absolutely thrilled that I snagged two bottles of this when I had the chance! wub2.gif

I am so glad I got backups of this without even smelling it. So glad. As I always say, I am horrible at notes, but this reminds me of a sweeter WILF, less pungent (I can see the Feed Me comparison too)- it's that Massoia Bark, perhaps? Absolutely love it, excellent throw without being overbearing - I do like my oils strong and this doesn't disappoint! :wub2:

The patchouli in this is absolutely delicious - it reminds me a tiny bit of Tricksy, Feed Me and Fill Me, and Third Charm. I think it's the 'honeyed' quality, which lends a rich sweetness (but it's patchouli, so thankfully not too sweet.) Other than the delectable patch which I'd know anywhere, the other notes just sort of meld into a really complex blend with a seductive hint of darkness to it. Somehow, it is perfect as a Clive Barker scent. I really love this, and it will almost certainly get even better over time.

I'm so glad I took a chance on this, I love it! It reminds me so much of Tombeur which is one of my favs! I was expecting a bit more patchouli but love it as is...

Wet: honey and patchouli. Dry: honeyed patchouli with a bout of powdered amber. This is nice, but I think it will be better aged on me. Throw is average, not too strong which is good because of the patchouli. Staying power was so-so, it only lasted about 4 hours or so. This is a nice scent and very fitting for Clive barker, but it is not one of my top favorites, like I thought it would be from the notes.

So happy to have an imp of this!!!

Wet: Honeyed patchouli is spot on. The honey isn't super heavy, which is a blessing because often honey is cloying on me. I'm getting a little pepper kick in the back of my nose as well.

Drying: There is something woody lurking in the pepper, which must be the massoia bark. I am also getting the incense a lot more now. The patchouli has really backed off, leaving this amazing warm honeyed incense that I can't stop huffing.

Dry: The patchouli is pretty much gone, which is a bit of a shame, because I love patch. But what's left is one of the first BPAL honey scents I can wear without getting a headache. What I'm left with is mostly amber and myrrh, with a strong back-up from the honey and beeswax. There is still the kick from the pepper and patchouli (and maybe saffron?)but they are very much secondary players.

Verdict? This scent is nothing short of orgasmic on me. it's mysterious, feminine without being girly and utterly delicious. The throw is huge, so I will be savoring this imp for a while.

Due to the mention of honey, I dithered over whether to buy this when it first came out - even though every other note is a fave. I do love my patchouli, so I wasn't sure about this 'honeyed patchouli' business - would the dreaded honey mess up my beloved patchouli? But when a lovely forum buddy offered me her backup bottle, I knew I had to give it a try :)

So when Imaginer first hits my skin... guess what I get a big blast of? Yep - honey. Uh-oh, I think, this is like a nightmare straight from a Clive Barker story - one in which an evil fiend creates a perfume blend with perfect notes but they add honey without telling me.. as I apply it to my wrist there's a tortured shrieking sound and I look down in horror to find my skin is peeling off down my arm in one long piece and then it goes running off at full speed on the fleshy stubs of what used to be my fingers to scrub itself clean of the ghastly honey.

But I tell myself to just wait... be patient... maybe the honey will calm down... and praise the perfume gods - it does! In fact it almost disappears completely after about ten minutes, at which stage a beautiful earthy/woodsy vibe comes out - the patchouli and bark together create a lovely deep warmth. And I can also smell a nice clean myrrh down at the base, with a delicate pepper just playing around the edges. The beeswax is definitely in there, creamy and soft - just how I like it. Later on - about 20 minutes in - a gorgeous golden amber glow comes in, brightened softly by just a teensy hint of the saffron - gorgeous. It's all dreamy, luxurious and mysterious now - dark but golden, smokey but sweet - really enjoyable at this point.

Unfortunately, after Imaginer has been on for about 30 minutes it's kinda lost all that lovely complexity - everything has melded together and I'm getting pretty much just a sweet honeyed amber with a hint of woodsy earthiness - it's quite... uhm... perfume-y - thankfully the patchouli stops it from ever completely crossing the border into Soapville, but it's verrrrry close. And after an hour, I'm left with just a very soft powdery honey-ish sweetness as a memory of where I applied the oil. So I guess the honey ultimately did its usual evil and overstepped its boundaries... I do like Imaginer, but I'm disappointed that the middle stage - when I was getting less honey and more everything else - didn't stick around to the end. And overall, it's just a bit too diluted for me - I like my smells to have a lot more depth and presence. Side note - if you liked Feed Me and Fill Me With Pleasure but found the patchouli too strong... give Imaginer a try, it's very FM&FMWP-ish but has far less oomph (and lacks the lovely warm vanilla). I also think Tricksy lovers will enjoy Imaginer - the honey/patchouli combination is very similar.

Honey, amber, beeswax and a touch of saffron.

This smells vaguely familiar, and honestly, it reminds me alot to Haus of Gloi's Come Hither lotion, which is one of my favorite lotions ever.

Very pretty honey blend. I may need some more in my life.

This scent is turning out to be not quite what I expected. I thought this would be a more patch heavy blend, kind of like 'Feed Me And Fill Me With Pleasure', but with more resins and spice. Instead, kind of powdery and whispy, not really detecting any patch, which is weird, and a touch of honey. I could have sworn when I first got this that it smelled different, more what I expected. I am going through wacky hormones right now, so maybe my nose (and brain) are a bit off). As it stands, though I like powder a bit, this is REALLY powdery, and almost like there's a touch of berry. I'll be passing this one off, unless something changes.

The notes of Imaginer read like a list of all of my favorites!

At first: it's almost too sweet for me. The honey, the amber, the beeswax- it's almost sticky-sweet! There's a beautiful spicy-peppery undertone that emerges as it dries, however, and takes us into wearable territory. It's warm, sweet, resinous and spicy and and wears close to my skin.

But wait- OH NO- something goes wrong after the first few minutes and something starts to smell flat and plasticky. WHY?!

Its so lovely and sweet in the decant I got, but my skin eats it so completely that I smell nothing, then a few seconds later, i get a sense of barely there sweetness, but only if I am huffing my wrist like a maniac.

I wanted it to work so BADLY. :(

On Wet this is OMG PEPPER! With a backdrop of honey.

As it dries down the pepper recedes to leave a honeyresin sweetness.

Its a very spicy resin. Still not sure if this is a keeper.The peppery spice

May not work for me in the long run. We'll see.

*8/2016 This has become a favorite. I've gotten much more into patchouli in the past couple of years.

Edited by Bulletslc

oh wowwww this starts off beautifully :wub3: it's honey, but not the usual bpal honey note, that is used in O, because that does not work on me, but beautiful, light almost slightly floral honey, which i think is coming from the massoia bark, perhaps. a little bit later i get beeswax and amber i think too, deepening the scent a bit. wow i love this SO much so far, i am really hoping nothing turns odd with my skin chemistry! it reminds me of some of the l'occitane honey scents, which i love. i have this shower gel by them that smells very reminiscent of this and it's one of my favorites. this is a love at first sniff. i need a bottle of this!

Out of the bottle, Imaginer is a peppery honey with a kiss of resin in the background.

On my skin, this is mostly a beeswax honey sprinkled with a healthy does of fresh peppercorns. As it dries, the resin and wood notes come to play giving the dominant honey/beeswax a smoldering incense quality. In the final dry down phase, the honey takes a backseat to the peppery resins leaving the perfect amount of sweetness. Imaginer doesn't have a lot of throw, instead it's a sexy close to the skin scent and works really well in my Monas locket. I'm so happy I took a chance and purchased a bottle of this…and I think I may need a back up. :wub2:

Edit again, I've gotta re-do this review, because I strongly suspect what I was reviewing may have been a prototype O.o I own a decant, and a bottle, and the difference is huuuuuge, it's beyond mere ageing, plus the decant oil is lighter coloured than the bottle, which is generally the opposite to ageing, sooo...I have no idea, here's them both:

My decant, possible prototype, is gorgeous. It's all about the honey, with just a little amber peeking out, it's soft and sexy and gentle and lickable, with a hint of something Egyptian-smelling - I'm not sure what, but there's the faintest, faintest resemblance to Anubis and Cairo, very far in the background. Mostly it's honey though, and I adore it.

My bottle - actual Imaginer, without a doubt - is not half so lovely :( It's very 'perfume', it smells like what my mum wears, to the extent that I may just donate it to her. All that honey and beeswax and amber I get in the decant, nope...nopenopenope, that's barely there at all. It's just all powerful, in-your-face traditionally feminine mainstream perfume. I had been leaving the lid ajar for a while here and there in an attempt to speed-age it, and that's made it a little less harsh, there's more of a patchouli note coming from behind the perfume stink now, and I kind of like it at this point, but I suspect it will eventually go to live with my mum :(

...major bummer, I so wanted a whole bottle of the honey wonderfulness of my (prototype?) decant... Happily I have some White Bees Swarming hair gloss, and that's got a very similar lovely honey note, so that's easing the disappointment slightly!

Edited by DevilsCandyCane

Imaginer starts out with a blast of honey, beeswax, saffron, and coconut. Its a bit overwhelming. I mean its so sweet. I couldn't figure out where I was getting coconut from until I read that Massoia has a milky, coconut-like, woodsy aroma.

On the drydown honey tones down somewhat allowing patchouli, amber, and an understated myrrh to make their appearance. I never do get any pepper. This ends up a honey and patchouli dominant scent with all the other notes adding layers and complexity. Its if you took Tricksy and added some additional notes to it. Imaginer is a who's who of some of my favorites: patch, amber, coconut, beeswax, honey, myrrh. So happy with this blend. I would describe it as sexy, complex, heady, sweet with a strong throw and longevity.

This is very, very perfumey. I don't know why I didn't heed the other reviews, maybe because some people said they were just getting honey and spiced resins. But nope, not on me. It's sharp and ashy yet also cloyingly sweet and powdery. I mean no offense to grandmothers, my own would never be caught dead wearing something like this, but since a lot of us have a "special" scent memory associated with the phrase, I have to say Imaginer smells like a grandma sort of perfume.

I do enjoy all of the notes listed individually, so something about the way they're coming together here is just not working for me.

Imaginer starts off as a lovely syrupy honey patch with a kick of spice from the pepper and saffron. Unfortunately my skin eats this blend within minutes and turns the thick sweet goodness into something flat and nondescript. There's no death notes in this, but I wish I know what combo of notes is turning this fantastic blend sideways.

Hoping it's just hormones skewing this awry.

i'm testing this slightly aged, as century guild just asked if I'd like to add on in~stock oils to my Freaks order... it's gain some weight and depth and curves since I first received.

at the top, a sweet sticky honey with dark and aged patchouli, slightly peppery... perhaps a hint of saffron and its gone. THICK

then the mid-palate... albeit sweet still... patchouli softens w appearance of amber &myrrh. texture smoothens w elegance.

dry down, medium throw, pretty yummy, all the notes above are well integrated... sweet but not cloying. earthy but not hippy.

... i will not be getting a back up bottle. because in part, i am reminded of Tricksy. At a moment of Feed Me FMWP, another Banshee... Its way too much of a compromise for me.

if you love honey, with gentle patchouli and a neutral sweetness.. this is for you