Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Bluestblood

Foolish and Vacuous

A scent with no depth: a light, reedy, almost vapid take on a classic men’s fougere.

Before I start the review, I am going to begin with an anecdote. When I saw this scent go live, I got excited, had no idea why and bought two bottles thinking "well, if I don't like it, I can always decant it". This is not something I usually do and felt stupid after I placed the order.

So the bottles arrived today, and I stared them down for a few minutes before I put some on my wrist. Here comes my review.

Initial thoughts can be summarized in the following disjointed words and sentiments: "Wow", "bathtub full", *grunt*, and "MINE!"

Wet: Fougere, unisex, light green plants, floral I cannot identify that may be rose (if it is, it is unusual), a light/oily wood note similar to Thieves' Rosin - the combination does smell very light.
Dry: My skin amps the floral/green aspect quite a bit to the point where it gets really loud with my skin chemistry. Reedy IS an excellent way to describe it as there is something hollow and superficial about it.

Sadly, it does not work well with my skin chemistry but I can see this being amazing on someone else. There was this jerk guy I dated once who liked dressing up in white suits so he would stand out at parties. He was very charming at face value and had a smile that could bite someone's soul out draw just about anyone to him. This reminds me of him.

In bottle: This is pretty much what it says on the tin, a light, bubbly fougere that reminds me of Otto and Leo in Noel Coward’s “Design for Living.” It is masculine, but in a frivolous, flippant sort of way. I love it! Wet: A bit citrusy on the skin, but not overwhelming so. The fougere manages to be just as impertinent, but now with a sense of mischievous sensuality. It makes me want to go swing or ballroom dancing. It makes me want to nip someone’s earlobe. It’s wonderful and wicked and reckless and full of laughter. Dry: Sexy, bright, fougere.

I might have to try this on mr. zee_zee!

This is a bright, citrus bubby fougere. In some ways, it reminds me to a masculine version of Jean Nate, with unisex green plants, watery elements, and then there's something woody underneath.

The overall impression is pretty and empty, but actually underneath it all there's something slightly more sinister underneath (but you really have to be looking for it). It's more implied.

Unisex. Kind of floral, kind of musky, kind of woody, kind of green, but not one note dominates. The effect is rather cologney, with nothing really distinct. Not my cup of tea, it suits the name well, a rather vacuous scent. I accidently spilled half the imp on me, and it was still pretty much gone in an hour.

Very much a cologne. It starts a bit green maybe? But I find it shines on the dry down when it becomes a little more complex but never too deep. If any of that makes sense.

This is a generic sort of men's cologne scent with no standout notes for me, which makes sense, as that is what the description promised. It starts off a bit lemony and with a musky, clean, aquatic-ish cologne vibe and dries down slightly green and powdery/woody, but mostly just has a musky, clean cologne smell on my skin. Light, clean, and cheap-cologne smelling.

This one is strong on me. I don't know if rose is in this blend but I'm getting a head full of it. I love this. It leans towards male to me, but definitely unisex. Not too green, or floral. Just right.