Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Dark Alice

The Day Burned White

Plaster and spraypaint, mottled with buttermilk - sweet, chalky, and edging on sickly. White and golden amber beams of daylight pour through the belly of the scent, while oakmoss and Spanish moss add a touch of decay.

Have you ever been in a hot, sticky, congested environment? Like in an old house with no air, or an old warehouse or garage with no air, and it is in the dead heat of summer? That's what this smells like. I have an instant scent memory from sniffing this of when I was a kid and went to my Great Aunt's home, it had no air conditioning, it was congested, and smelled like plastic (she kept plastic on the furniture). It was so hot, that I felt like I was choking. I had to go outside to get some fresh air. That's what this smells like...just add a hint of chalk. :eek: How Beth got the chalky note right...the world will never know. :blink: But it is dead on. This is how I imagined the vacant apartments smelled in the candyman movie. Esp. when the main character goes through the door with the drawing of Candyman on the door. :ack: This scent is so creepy...and evokes such a strange and horrible memory that I have to take it off never, EVER wear this again. :eek: Edited by Silvertree

This is indeed creepy. I smells like a freshly painted white room in an old house. Oddly, it smells exactly like the description and dries into something similar to Whispers of Monstrous Things.

Okay, so I am a little disconcerted about this blend, but not because of what other people think of.

This to me has a bitter watermelon top note to it on wet and in the viable- which adds a fruity aquatic quality, and then you smell the dense egg-based paint note, followed by talcum, moss, and dirt-dust note you get from an old and in the process of being demolished house. It's almost a plaster-dust note.

As it dries, its more of the egg based paint, with again the plaster-dust, and the moss keeping the aquatic element.

Throughout it all, it's all very WHITE. It's a white dust blend. And weird.

I mean, do you really want to inhale the plaster-dust of an old, decrepit and possibly haunted house? It's like ghost cocaine. I'm pretty sure it just causes, well, demonic/poltergeist possession.

So kids, now you know. This is your friendly Clive Barker/BPAL PSA. Don't snort the dust in an old *haunted* house, or you open yourself to otherworldly possession.

Don't say you weren't warned.

ETA: Edited for clarification purposes. I'm sure old dust, is well, just gross and you don't want to snort that either.

Edited by zankoku_zen

I am astounded! From the perspective presented, I Thought this would be be Repugnant and Vile: I had wasted my money. However, my perception is the joy of reconstruction, carpentry, and the sweetens of manual labor! Someone said watermelon, Yes! Spray paint, Chalk and dust, Yep! Monsters and daemons? perhaps (Clive calls us to evaluate our world(s) and take responsibility for our perception ;)ALL the glory and horror are our responsibility..! Life and love are UN-conditional. This is a profound masculine moment of beauty. Give it a chance, Find out why......Life isn't sposed to be pretty or easy. Absolutely Exquisite! "If you have a quality, be proud of it. Let it define you, whatever it is."

Edited by AirAmIJH

My first impressions were "paint" and "paper." It smells familiar in a way you cant quite put your finger on. I dont get any negative associations from it, and actually quite enjoy it as an unusual sensory experience.

Based on the listed notes, I suspected it would open up a bit and be even nicer on my skin. It actually is staying relatively true on me, but there are a few more nuances-- it becomes a little sweeter, and yes now that someone else has said it I suppose it does have a watermelon candy kind of feel, although I didnt think that on my own! I'm definitely getting a parchment-like scent, which I think may be a shared note with U from the Mutter Museum. And the glorious mosses, which you'll recognize if you've smelled the recent SNs.. to me they have a spicy herbs and leather vibe.

As such I find this to be in the Book genre of blends, so if you're interested in those definitely check this one out! I think I may well get a bottle.

Smells like renovating all right! Not fond of the smell of paint, this is definitely chalky and unpleasant. Something pretty, soft and powdery lingers underneath the funk, but does not dominate. Not for me, but interesting to try.

some bpal scents start out like their namesake or theme but then morph into a perfume or cologne that's related to the origin/story/name but more wearable.

not so much this one.

this smells like a painted, enclosed industrial space in the bottle, wet and dry. punk rock warehouse living in a bottle. foreign exchange high school basement flashback. all right here.

extremely well done and fun to try but I will prob not wear this much.

I love the smell of construction and was hoping for a wood, paint and drywall type of scent with a creamy buttermilk (as odd as that sounds, lol). Unfortunately, I'm just getting the chalk out of it. It's dry chalk dust and reminds me of when my teachers in gradeschool would select students to go and bang the chalk out of the erasers. I always tried to get out of the eraser cleaning duty, because the smell made me sick and I hated getting that dust all over me. It makes me want to sneeze and take a shower.

I was on edge for this one. Scared it would be sickly, but it really smells like a hardware store in the best way. It smells like an old A/C blasting at grandma's house. It really does give me the impression of a big, empty white room that was painted sometime yesterday & sat in the heat drying. It is an acquired taste, not for all.