Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
cyberpuff

Orgy with Nine Women

Champaca magnolia, bourbon vanilla, blonde tobacco, and white honey.

This is from a bottle straight from the lab.

First impression- Wow. Definitely a cousin of Red Lantern, or maybe even a closer family member. That's the blonde tobacco, and it's all sweet and lovely on the first skin application.

Next on the dry down, I'm really getting a sugared floral, which must be from the champaca magnolia. It reminds of something BPAL that I've smelled before and loved, and can't quite place. I hate when this happens. The tobacco and honey seem to anchor this with a warm heat- there's no giant honey overtone like Womb Fury, and the vanilla is not sticking out, it's an all around player. At this point it just seems to be a Day Walker, or lighter, version of Red Lantern.

I tried this last night before I went to bed, and this morning right when I woke up, I thought, Midnight on the Midway. That's the other BPAL this reminds me of, and on today's retest, I can definitely say they share similarities.

Overall, it's a fantastic blend and I'm glad I didn't hesitate on this blind bottle purchase. Since it's lighter than Red Lantern I'll get more wear out of it, so a backup may be necessary before the lupers come down.

I'm not a particularly eloquent reviewer nor do I have the nose for notes that some of our more dedicated BPAers do but I hope this helps!

In the bottle: Definitely tobacco and honey. It's very warm with a teensy bit of caramel to it. I can't smell the bourbon vanilla on its own but it's somewhere.

Wet: The champaca magnolia comes out. It's sugary with a sharp edge to it. The tobacco is still the star of the show but the honey's warming up.

Drydown: On me, it's all sweet tobacco and honey, with the honey coming through at the end.

If you amp tobacco like I do and you loved the single note, this is definitely something you'll enjoy.

When I first apply this, champaca magnolia comes on very strong in that characteristic way it has. It's a note I like in smaller doses, so at first I was a little wary of this. However, once dry, the tobacco really takes over. It's a very leafy tobacco, and very much like the French Tobacco Single Note, so if you like that, or wish you had more of it, this will be a winner for you. I can't make out the bourbon vanilla specifically, but it's there pulling everything together and smoothing it out, and the white honey is very gentle and not powdery.

This is an assertive scent, due to the champaca and tobacco, but with tempering notes of honey and vanilla, I think it's an easy to wear one.

In bottle: The strongest notes in first sniff are the Champaca magnolia and honey. The vanilla is strong support for the honey. The tobacco ties the stronger notes together nicely. Wet: This is really about the champaca. The tobacco is now in strong support of the champaca, with the honey and vanilla backing off rather, though keeping things smooth and sweet. This is another very directional scent with everything working towards a single impression. This is very blond and sitting in the shady part of the garden on a sunny afternoon. Dry: Classic perfume/cologne, sexy tobacco with some Champaca and vanilla.

I am familiar with exactly one of these notes (honey), so take this review with a grain of salt.

To me, it smells ... sweet-boozy, almost foodie as soon as I put it on. Then a strong, white floral begins to come up from the depths and make itself known. It reminds me of a Yule scent, maybe Dread Puddings, but without the tendency to turn into straight maple syrup. I'm guessing that's the mixture of bourbon vanilla and honey. By process of elimination, I'm going to say that the tobacco is spicy, sort of ... herbal? It's hard for me to describe. It definitely doesn't smell like cigarette smoke or even cigarettes, which is good. It's a lovely note, whatever kind of note it is.

I would actually classify this as a foodie scent rather than a classically perfumey scent, but ymwv.

If there weren't so many other fantastic blends this Lupercalia, I'd probably go for a bottle. As it is, I think I'll get a little nit-picky over the magnolia (I'm very particular about my florals) and pass it along.

decant from ladymeag. wet:champaca strong with a little floral from magnolia and a bit of sweetness from the honey. very nice at this stage. dry: champaca...champaca...champaca. I apparently amp champaca...my coworkers asked who was wearing patchouli :eek: I like this a lot, but am unsure if I need a whole bottle or not...I will mull it over...It lasts about 4 hours on me and throw is obviously strong.

In the decant: I can detect all of the notes in this. The champaca magnolia and the white honey are the most prominent notes, but the tobacco and the vanilla are definitely present. The combination of the white honey and the tobacco in this remind me somewhat of Fallen Woman hair gloss.

Wet: The champaca magnolia, the white honey, and the tobacco make an appearance. However, floral becomes far stronger than the other notes. That said, it isn't nearly as strong as the champaca note in Arise, Lift Up Thine Eyes and See was when it hit my skin. I think the combination of the white honey and the bourbon vanilla must be taming the floral. The tobacco is still present, and I'm finding that I really enjoy this note when it is mixed with florals and a sweet note (like in Fallen Woman hair gloss or Summer Lace).

Dry: Champaca magnolia made less sharp by white honey and a strong tobacco note.

As time goes on, it continues to mellow out, and the vanilla makes itself known. :D

Verdict: This would pair really nicely with Fallen Woman hair gloss, so I am considering ordering a bottle of this!

Decant: Whoa! Hello, magnolia and honey!

On skin:More light tobacco comes out, but it is just as the description says, blonde tobacco. The vanilla comes out more on the skin. This is really pretty, light honeyed blonde tobacco with a heavy overlay of magnolia. I love magnolia, and this blend is very interesting, but I may have to retest. Not sure I'll spring for a bottle.

this smells very "perfumey" in the vial. on my skin, i think i'm getting mostly blonde tobacco, it's sort of clean and...masculine? which doesn't make sense given the title, but my skin chemistry is known to be difficult at times ;) after a few minutes, maybe a tiny bit of honey comes out, but this is mostly a clean tobacco scent on me. maybe some magnolia? i dunno, i am having issues smelling all the notes in this one. definitely not what i was expecting though.

Sniffing the imp, most of what I get from this is honey, with just a hint of tobacco. Wet, the vanilla joins up with the honey for a sexy, sultry ménage à trois that lasts all through drydown. It's rich and sweet and warm, but never cloying. Very nice for snuggling with a lover, wrapped up in a blanket on a cold day. I never get any of the champaca magnolia (unless I'm confusing it with the vanilla), but that's okay. This is gorgeous as-is.

I like this better than I expected to! It is definitely a perfumey scent to me, however.

Tobacco scents sometimes go off on me, but I guess the blonde tobacco is okay, so yay! This is soft and sweet and it's hard to pick out any of the specific notes. Warm golden perfumed skin scent is what I get from it, mostly.

It's very pretty, sexy and feminine without being either girly or overwhelming, but I'm not sure it's a me scent. I'll definitely give it a few more wears though, and see if it grows on me.

In the bottle: Sweet and spicy, with a touch of floral. I could see that being mostly the tobacco and honey.

Wet on skin: Tobacco, I think. Touched with vanilla. But I have to get really up close to smell anything. I can see the oil on my skin, but I can barely smell it. Which is sad, because I liked the scent coming out of the bottle. I had to dab quite a bit of my skin to smell anything there, though.

Dried down: Getting much more floral on me. Like a very heavy floral I don't usually associate with champaca.

Throw: It took a little while, but I'm finally getting some throw on this from the drydown. It's the spiciness of the tobacco mixed with the floral of the magnolia.

Verdict: *** I'm not sure if I need a bottle of this. I'm not feeling my best today, so it could be that my skin chemistry is hampering my testing (but I want to be able to put in my order soon). I like this a lot, but I'm just not sure if I love it or not.

Smoky champaca, vanilla and tobacco. It's a very golden and smoky blend.

Tobacco and vanilla lovers, take note.

I think I prefer something with a little more sweetness. I like the idea of tobacco but in general it never seems to work for me.

The tobacco note is normally one that doesn't smell (on me) of exhaled smoke, but is usually clean and faintly spicy/tangy. The one in this veers a bit closer to the exhaled smoke, but never crosses over into something I wouldn't wear. The honey note strikes me as kin to O, and lasts just about as long on my skin as that lovely blend does! The floral lifts things,but doesn't overpower anything, which is partly why this strikes me as a unisex, but still very sexy for either gender, scent. I know the gentleman is already threatening to steal it to give it a try.

This dries down to be simply a lighter version of the French Tobacco SN on my skin. I dont think I ever get the champaca magnolia unfortunately.

In the imp: Magnolia and white honey.

Wet: Now the blonde tobacco appears, late to the party.

The dry-down: The magnolia and honey return, bringing just a wee dram of the vanilla, and run the tobacco off. They didn't want such a strong scent to ruin their genteel party. :) Pretty and delicate, but I can't imagine reaching for it that often.

Lot's of incense here, and a touch of gritty tobacco. This is a blend for someone who is 'no nonsense', confident, and a bit of bad ass. After awhile, more tobacco comes out, and it's almost SN to me. I wasn't a fan of the SN, (I wish the lab would do a SN tobacco as in Mr. Nancy), so this one is a miss.

The magnolia along the top lets this one casually present itself as an above-board kind of smell, feminine and delicate. The vanilla and honey ground it and give it some depth and sensuality. But what makes this the orgy is the tobacco. It's less smoky and more...well, dirty. Filthy, actually. Not in an unwashed way, but in a debauched way. It's stealth filth; I can wear it to work and call it a floral smell, but there's that underground twist to it, that subtle naughtiness, that people can feel is there but can't quite place.

I'm glad it stocked up on bottles of this. I hope Beth brings it back one day. It's really amazing.

My bottle is mostly magnolia and honey, which runs a bit too sweet for me, but the tobacco grounds it nicely. Good for a day when I want to feel feminine and classy.

Super heavy, heady floral. Not sure what champaca magnolia is, like compared to regular magnolia? I have tried other magnolia scents and not cared for them, but I adore this! It's so lush, and the honey blends in perfectly with the florals. There's also a smoky note that I'll attribute to the tobacco. Very warm, as Sheena said.

With those notes, this should have been a sure-fire win on me, and it's not, and I'm not sure why. It's not bad at all, but I expected to be kind of bowled over and in love -- those notes are all ones that I often/usually like, although I'm iffy on some honey because sometimes it goes to play-doh on me. This doesn't do play-doh at all, but it does smell strangely perfumey. I don't dislike it, but I'm sure I don't need a bottle.

Wow, this has aged wonderfully. Smooth as silk, musky, magnolia with overtones of limb-loosening champaca. Lovely. Absolutely lovely.

Hello gorgeous! On me this is largely honey and vanilla with the tobacco and champaca magnolia in the background to ground this and keep it from being a straight-up foodie scent. The tobacco comes more into play as it dries, and I realize I need more blonde tobacco in my life.

Wet: Magnolia is really strong at first. But then the tobacco and honey bloom...awe yea. There's this sort of sweet, toastiness - like marshmallows on the campfire. amazing. If this dries like this, I need a bottle. Only issue is it's not very strong, but my nose is a bit stuffed today (allergies) so that could be the issue too.

Dry: Sadly, the blonde tobacco note totally disappears. This dries down to a slightly sharp, floral honey. It's not bad, by any means, but compared to when it was wet, it's a tad disappointing. I don't think I will need a bottle after all.