Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
GoldenRubee

Destructive Vagina of the Fox Spirit

Vanilla orchid, black amber, coffee bean, labdanum, champaca, and oudh.

In the bottle: a soft creamy floral followed by a resiny light coffee note-yum.

On my skin, I first smell a light creamy, resiny cafe mocha like scent mixed with a woody note. Surprisingly, I get no orchid here at all. I thought that this would be a heavier scent on me but it is predominantly a light creamy, lightly resinous, slightly sweet, scent. When it completely dries down I am left with the essence of the cafe mocha scent with a touch of the vanilla orchid ( more very light vanilla really)finally making an appearance and blending with the woody goodness of a simplistic Oudh. I can't believe that with all of what seems like dark notes, this can be such a light and airy scent on me. Another beautiful scent!

This is gorgeous. Nothing harsh here, very muted spices/creamy hint of coffee but just a hint...almost like the memory of coffee.

This reminds me a bit of Spanked rez minus leather and Hell of Great Heat in vibe.

I cannot wait to see how this ages!

ETA

Lol, this smells nothing like Spanked or Hell of Great Heat to me now...what was i thinking?!

The vanilla orchid, black amber and champaca are the stars when this settles down. Wet, it is all about the strange coffee bean note the Lab uses (that is somewhat harsh, perfumey and smells nothing like coffee...to me atleast) and i am glad that burns off. What a beautiful perfume this has turned into.

Edited by Herb Girl

I concur. This is great. Like the finest Nag Champa burning in an upscale coffee house. The coffee is milky and sweet and lightly hovering over this fabulous incense. Just very, very lovely. Plus the art is to die for!

In The Bottle: Sweet incense hovering over some light coffee.

Wet On Skin: The incense is mostly dominating. It's that sweet incense that one could fine at all goth and punk clothing stores in the 90's. I like it!

Dry Down: The coffee is mostly a very spare hint in the background with the sweet incense dominating everything.

In All: If there can be such a thing as an Incense Single Note, that's what this would be like. Which is great, because finding the perfect incense scent is something I've been attempting to do for quite some time now. Low to medium throw, I can only assume this will get deeper and richer with age.

Glad I have a bottle!

In the bottle this is very strong coffee, like a straight shot of espresso. I approached this warily, because I tend to dislike strong coffee notes--though, to be perfectly candid, I bought a full bottle of this for the name/art. I can't live without it in my life.

On the skin, though, it softens into a lovely incense/coffee mix. Like drinking a mocha in one of those Wiccan stores--you know the kind, that smell like sweet incense and vanilla candles. This is a more refined version of that, with some stronger notes from the resins coming into play in the drydown. It's a strong and nostalgic scent, and I think it will age fantastically. I'm going to try not to touch it for at least 6 months and then see what wonders have unfolded within.

Another vote for Nag Champa and Coffee.

This isn't cheap and gross incense. This is quality Nag.

Another beautiful scent. :wub2:

I had to get this one for the art and name alone. I'm dying for someone to ask me what I'm wearing... :twisted:

I was hoping that the coffee note here wouldn't be too strong—as much as I love coffee, it doesn't always work well on my skin. But in Destructive Vagina of the Fox Spirit, it's really just right. About five minutes after application, this is a snuggly, warm, incensey mix of vanilla, amber, and champaca on me. The coffee note is really gentle. It's truly like a creamy, coffee-dipped nag champa!

Okay, so I'm going to be the dissenting opinion here (and pat myself on the back for waiting for my decants instead of springing for a blind bottle), but this smells like licorice and root beer to me. It settles down after about five minutes into a soft coffee scent, but the strange hint of florals is just making this weird.

I really think it is the champaca that doesn't work for me. I should know better by now, but everything else in this is full of win so I thought it wouldn't matter.

It isn't necessarily _bad_, and as it dries it softens into a sweetish coffee scent, but it definitely isn't grabbing me when wet and mostly just okay when dry.

It could be because I just swapped for IXHV4 and I'm loving the strong creamy coffee so much that I'm a touch disappointed by the softer more gentle coffee that I'm getting here.

ETA- about two hours in I'm really liking this. I'm still not going to get a bottle, but I will be keeping the decant in the hopes that the weird start mellows out.

Edited by Caper

Wet: sweet coffee with strong champaca....but I'm also getting a licorice, root beer quality. This turned me off at first, despite the fact that I love the root beer, anise notes just because I wasn't expecting it. Dry: champaca sweetened with root beer..??? I don't want to say I don't like it, because I would if it were described that way, but it is definitely not the description on my skin. However, I will mentally change the notes and will like it as a champaca and sasparilla blend instead...I know that's weird, just a mental thing I have to do to overcome disappointment :( To me, this is drinking a strong root beer in a head shop.

I too get rootbeer. As soon as this hits my skin the coffee, which is quite strong in the vial, begins to soften out and blends beautifully with the champaca. I was excited for "nag champa in a coffee house". But very quickly the complexities start to disappear and I was trying to put my finger on what this was smelling like.... then it hit me. Rootbeer. Straight rootbeer. Dang :(

Licorice? Why do you smell like licorice? :eek: Oh, everyone mentioned root beer. Yep, there's root beer. That's so weird and unexpected! I guess I can smell how it morphs into Nag... and also agree with the poster who ascribed this as Nag burning in an upscale coffee house. It's very pretty, though I'm not sure I'd wear it often.

This smells like sweet chocolate on me. There is not one chocolate note listed in this blend. All I get is chocolate incense. :eek: What the hell?

The throw: Not root beer, but Sarsaparilla. Sweet and effervescent, with a hint of Tombstone and Smut.

Up close, there is a touch of coffee, some of the incense, and a more flat, slightly bitter smell.

The 5-year-old says I smell like "you and honey."

The husband says I smell like a fox (he didn't know the name of the scent). He tried to eat my arms.

It is fairly complex, and I think I like it, but I'll want to wear it again a time or two before making any final decisions. I'll definitely be enjoying the decant.

Luper decants came in the mail today, and this is the first one I tried!

Fresh on, it's a very strong incense. An Indian/ Nepalese import store incense. A little bit of milky coffee. Don't know what else it smells like, but it's rather discordant. *But* - the scent sweetens and melds as it dries and I get something yellow smelling. Probably the champaka (which I love) but here it smells like.... banana. What little coffee there is disappears. I'm left with banana nag champa incense. Not bad! Although once it's dry even that fades and all I get is sweet.

If I could freeze this scent at the early-mid drydown, I might get a bottle. Definitely keep the decant, tho.

My favorite BPAL scent name ever and also one of the most unique blends. In spite of vanilla orchid being the first note listed, I have a hard time picking it out, and I wouldn't call this a floral blend. I agree with other reviewers who said it's like being in a coffee house with Nag Champa incense burning. Or browsing an incense shop while sipping on a hot vanilla latte. Relaxing indoor activities on a cold day, cozy and familiar. I love incense blends, so Destructive Vagina is the right vagina for me. :D

In the vial: Strong nag champa, with coffee bean. It smells a little fruity (as in, it's coffee bean, not brewed coffee) and I can detect a depth that might be coming from the black amber. The vanilla is present as well.

Overall, this is weird. I don't know about this combination.

Skin testing: Yum, this is sweet, milky coffee (without an actual milk note. It must be the vanilla). There's champa but doesn't clash. As another reviewer said, it's like having a latte in a coffee house where someone's been burning expensive champa.

The champa becomes more prominent after a while.

Results: Drat. I didn't want to have to explain why one of my perfume bottles has "vagina" in the name.

The only problem is that it's a bit on the light side.

In the vial (that's as far as I've gotten!) it's revolting, like sour milk in with the perfume. I'm fairly glad I trusted my instincts and didn't go fb. I'll be back with skin test!

Skin: better but still not me. This has the note from white rabbit that I hate. The champs a for me is minimal throw. It's not what I hoped but it is almost what I expected based on reviews.

Later though!!! I love it. Incense yumminess!

Edited by cinnamonmel

DESTRUCTIVE VAGINA OF THE FOX SPIRIT

In Vitro Chocolate and incense. I hoped to smell coffee bean, but it stubbornly reads as chocolate to my nose. Since I love the Lab's chocolate note, this is still a winning combination.

Wet Fresh on, wonderful chocolate and incense. If only it would stay this way...

Over the next few minutes the chocolate faded and the incense was joined by a floral or woody note, which soon faded in its turn as the scent became a bit spicier. There was some throw in this phase.

Drying Very faded and... oh no, nooo. Plastic. Faint plastic close up. Although if I backed off about 10 cm from my wrist I got a sweet throw. Fortunately the plastic retreated gradually until I could only catch it very close up, but the remaining scent was faint and undistinguishable sweetness.

Four hours after application a tiny hint of plastic remained but a pseudo-chocolate note was at the forefront. Six hours on, there was a soft incense smell and no plastic at all. The final version, some fifteen hours after putting on a few drops, was a soft sweet smell that I associate with musk.

Hair On the same day as the skin test I put a bit of DVotFS on the end of my ponytail and the initial scent was utterly fabulous cola incense. The elusive BPAL "cola" note, which I've only smelled before in Steamworks' No. 93 Engine, was just as fleeting here as in that oil. The final lingering hair scent was mild incense, and as usual was more noticeable when I showered.

To sum up: mildly disappointed by absence of coffee, thrilled by combination of chocolate and incense, crushed by appearance of plastic, relieved by eventual sweetening, and tantalized by cola. I'm glad I bought this, and I am curious to see how it ages.

In the imp: Sugared coffee with a side of chocolate. But something, either one or a combination of the other notes is making this not foody despite that.

Wet on skin: Same as before.....but different. I know, I'm being so eloquent here. But I can't quite place this. It's actually turning a little.... lemony on my skin. Reading the other reviews, I have to agree with the root beer claim. Not quite qhat I was hoping for.

Dried down: This is softer on my skin as it dries down. Still root-beery, though.

Verdict: I think I may need to give this one a second try when I don't have any other perfume on. I think that might be throwing off my sense of smell, though I've had more than that on without having problems identifying things.

ETA: Second test. In the imp, I'm getting grape gummi bear now. On my skin, it's a pretty chocolate wine. Softening back into root beer as it dries down. I can identify the champaca now, giving it that ethereal sweetness that makes me love that note. Wears pretty close to my skin.

I think my skin chemistry right now is totally wonky, and maybe I shouldn't be trying perfume on at all. I may need to try this again in a couple of weeks. But I'm probably going to be placing my order before then, and this is still pretty, even if it's not what I expected. And I get the feeling it will age very well. So I'll probably get a bottle, try it again in a week or two, and also just to see how it ages.

Edited by Magycmyste

A promising soft coffee bean scent in the imp, but just a boring vague orchid on me. Booooo :(

Edited by bellumed

In the imp: Dark and spicy, almost chocolatey, with a hint of coffee. Very smooth, and not at all bitter.

The coffee comes out a lot stronger on my skin, rich and sweet, and slightly spicy and resinous. It aaaaalmost gets woody, but stays just on the foody side of my nose. As it dries, it gets sweeter and richer - that's the vanilla coming out to flirt with the sexy boys hanging out in her living room. :lol: And when she does, they all sort of tumble into a lovely cuddle pile and let her run the show.

Destructive Vagina? More like Dark, Snuggly, Inviting Vagina. :D

Oh drat! This one is really not for me :cry2:

It's starts off very interesting and sweet, like Coke or Dr. Pepper. When I put it on my skin it just gets unpleasant. I can smell amber, and not an enjoyable amber. It's amber, combined with powdery floral, whcih gives it a really unfortunate "old lady perfume" association for me. It still has that thread of soda-like sweetness running through it, which makes me a bit queasy.

I'm also getting incense, but really powdery incense (I guess orchid isn't my friend when it's a heavy dose like this). The first time I tested this I got just a touch of a coffee bean smell, but that seems to have skipped off to hide from the powdery/ambery/incense mess that's happening.

This is really just not my kind of scent. I'm going to let it age til the summer before I attempt it again, and if it doesn't work out I'll get rid of it for something more my speed.

Edit: After just a week to age, I'm liking this much better. It's still quite powdery/incensy, which is not my thing. But I'm getting something a bit sweet/buttery with the faintest hint of coffee. It's like drinking a caramel latte while incesnse burns right next to you. It's very different. I'm undecided if I'll keep it, but I'm interested to see what some more aging will accomplish.

Edited by Teaker

Champaca, oudh, and something that smells like chocolate?

I was hoping for vanilla orchid and some coffee. And ended up amping everything else in this blend.

Sad puppy face.

I, too, went through a brief (and undesirable) root beer phase during the early drydown... which thankfully only lasted a few moments, whereupon it turned into a delightful musk that is beautifully warmed by the coffee. Thankfully for my chemistry, the florals stayed in the background and just kept everything from being bogged down, but didn't take over the blend.

This oil blend reminds me of Japanaese Kyoto vanilla incense wafting through the room. It's very evocative and the coffee gives it depth and complexity. I am very impressed icon_biggrin.gif