Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
GoldenRubee

A Demonstration of Affectionate Excitement

White frankincense, ho wood, Himalayan cedar, sweet myrrh, beeswax, and bamboo.

In the bottle this smells very woody and sweet. I love ho wood scents so this really interested me and I was anxious to try it. I am not disappointed at all. It is warm and sweet on, with the predominate notes being the ho wood, sweet myrrh and beeswax. I amp cedar like crazy so I was a little leery of that note but I am happy to report that it is almost non existent on me. There is a soft, rich, earthy spiciness that makes this one of my favorites of this year Lupers the and I will definitely be getting a second bottle. :wub2:

In the bottle: Wood (can definitely smell the Ho Wood in the mix!) covered in a layer of soft beeswax. In the background I can smell the fresh, green, wet smell of bamboo.

On my skin: When it first hits my skin, the bamboo is even stronger! It makes the scent smell fresh and like it's describing an outdoor place. But this is still mostly a wood and beeswax scent. Maybe a wooden ramada outside with candles and incense burning?

After a while the frankincense and myrrh are more apparent the myrrh is just rich and lovely (but I'm biased because myrrh is one of my favorite scents). The frankincense seems a bit spicy to me...

As the hours pass, it continues to have a nice balance of wood, resins, and beeswax - leaning a bit towards the beeswax.

Finally everything starts to slowly fade out - until the very last thing left is the Ho Wood.

This reminds me a lot of Day of Skulls, with the main difference being bamboo instead of cactus blossoms.

<3

Edited by Cactus

In the imp: Hmmm... not what I expected. Woody and tart, almost limey.

Wet on skin: Getting a hint of frankincense through the tartness.

Dried down: Tart and incensey. This is actually a very interesting blend.

Throw: This one seems to wear close to my skin. There is a faint throw as time goes on, and the sweet beeswax comes out in that beautifully.

Verdict: **** I like this a lot, but I don't think I need a full bottle of it, and I can wait to find a partial. It is very pretty and interesting. I just don't know how often I'll reach for it.

Mmm white frankincense I clearly love! It's sweet but woody from the cedar and fuzzy from the beeswax. Sad I didn't get a bottle of this!

Wood, beeswax and bamboo on wet dry into a cedar, frankincense and myrrh.

It starts off as a fresh woody, which as it dries, progresses into a much more resinous/wood blend.

I liked it best when it was a bamboo/wood blend, and I feel like the cedar is overpowering everything at this juncture.

This reminds me of a lighter, spring-ier Midnight Mass! It's got that same woody incense plus strong evergreen feel, only brighter and fresher. The other thing it reminds me of is a layering combination I particularly like, Cathedral plus Lights of Men's Lives.

The frankincense is very clear and bright-toned, with a slightly citrus-y edge; the myrrh and beeswax round it out and sweeten it nicely. The wood notes were *very* strong on initial application, but have quieted down after a couple of hours, and are now well balanced with the frankincense and a bit of green sharpness from the bamboo. It's nice to have such a lovely springtime option in my woodsy/incense-y repertoire!

In the imp: Mostly bamboo, but it's cut and dried, not fresh and growing.

Wet: Now the bamboo is coming alive, and the frank and cedar and honey are deep in the mix, but rising.

The dry-down: As this dried, the bamboo kept being fresh but starting to dry out, and the myrrh and beeswax came to life. This is a lovely scent, well-blended. :) I'm usually wary of bamboo, as it can turn to a very green and murky aquatic, but the strong notes in this blend kept from that direction. It's a springtime woody resin!

Mostly getting a single note frankincense here, with maybe a hint of fresh floral. Kind of smells like Christmas.

A strong bamboo note takes center stage, very clean and green! Maybe some other woods...fresh, young woods, not dry. I'm surprised at how strong the bamboo is...almost like a single note bamboo. After a few minutes I still don't smell any frankincense or myrrh. Youthful, natural, nice.

This is heady, oily wood on me from start to finish. It's beautifully blended -- the bamboo and the wax add complexity, but the wood stays central. When I first got it, the oiliness was a little overwhelming, but a few months of aging seem to have mellowed it. I love this.

Soft, beautiful balance of beeswax and ho wood. It feels almost floral with a tinge of myrrh.

Keeping myself entertained during the social isolation of 2020 by reviewing my hoard of oils...

this is Day 7:

A demonstration of affectionate excitement

First on it’s quite zesty,  fresh and woody. 

As it settles I’m starting to think it would definitely be better on a man... however... once it warms up and the base notes come out it turns into something glorious.

Sweet and creamy, resinous and woody.

Absolutely glorious 🙌🏼 and a beautiful morph.

Well-aged decant.  A Demonstration of Affectionate Excitement starts out similar to Cathedral, with cedar and that frankincense that mimics cedar.  I'm not sure I could differentiate the ho wood, but there was that fresh sharp bamboo note.  So: opening: cedary frankincense and bamboo.  In the next stage, the bamboo receded and the myrrh and beeswax began to partner with the woods and frankincense, so kind of a honeyed Penitence.  Gradually the woods began to fall away, leaving incense and beeswax, with the latter lasting longest on my skin.  Lovely at every stage.