Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
OctoberGwen

Love Lay Upon Her Eyes

White amber and Bulgarian rose.

Oh God, I am so glad I bought a bottle of this unsniffed! It is absolutely beautiful. A perfect blend of clean, white (non-powdery) soft amber and a really exquisite rose. This is a classic, very pretty perfume that sticks close to the skin. I really love it.

:wub2:

This was the runaway hit for me at East Coast Will Call, and totally unexpected. I love amber and I like rose, but rose is extremely volatile and iffy on me. The wrong rose can easily overpower, go sour, or even give me a migraine. But Love Lay Upon Her Eyes is so perfectly blended that the rose never takes over completely. The amber and the rose dance together and they each have their seperate showy moves, but in the end it's a seamless integration, one body moving on he floor. Ahem. Metaphors aside, this scent is sweet, warm, resinous, and sensual. It reminds me greatly of Morocco. It took me a while to pin that similarity down, but that's absolutely it. For me... it's better than Morocco. I bought two bottles at Will Call. We'll see if that's going to be enough. :)

Love Lay Upon Her Eyes is a must for lovers of white amber. On my skin it's definitely the star in this blend, with the rose recognizable but not overwhelming. After a half hour, it's a nice clean, almost sweet amber with very subtle rose—like a rose trapped in amber. There's something pure about it, and comforting. It's pretty enough to wear all on its own, or I imagine that it would be a great blender as well.

In the decant: This smells really pretty. Thanks to the simplicity of this blend, I can now pinpoint Bulgarian Rose as one of my favorite rose notes. This is the rose note that I really like in Two, Five, and Seven. I am not too familiar with white amber, but I can tell that it is there. The rose and the white amber go really well together.

Wet: The rose and the amber aren't really competing for dominance. There is the sweet rose note that I love mixed with a really pretty amber scent. The amber is not powdery.

Dry: My favorite rose note blended with an absolutely lovely amber note.

Verdict: This was actually one of the scents I culled from my original decant list, but I asked my decanter to waitlist me for it at the last minute, and she was able to make a decant for me after all! :] I'm so glad it turned out that way, because this is such a beautiful scent! I will definitely be keeping my decant, and I may end up getting a bottle of this one.

First word that comes to mind is dainty. Mostly because I've been huffing much bolder scents in the last hour or more. But this is amber and rose, without question. Soft, slightly sweet. And it's a very full rose, petals open and releasing all of their scent, pulling insects closer to them, luring them in. The amber is soft, powdery and gentle.

This is beautiful. Just beautiful. It reminds me of a soft classic perfume in the best way. It's simple--amber and rose, but not at all boring. Just lovely. I'm definitely getting a backup and maybe two. My favorite of this year's Luper scents that I've tried.

This one I expected to be similar to Parlement of Foules, but it's surprisingly different.

Parlement of Foules is soft and delicate roses and resins, while Love Lay Upon Her Eyes is loud rose, intense amber and there's nothing subtle about it.

This is far richer and more complex than the two notes would indicate, but sadly, the rose in Love Lay Upon Her Eyes is TOO strong, and the subtlety that is usually amber on me is closer to a spicy-cinnamon-amber.

Overall it's still pretty, but it's a cold-weather scent, not a spring scent, and it's way too overpowering to do anything coyly ^_^*

In the imp: Oh, pretty! The rose is definitely subtle in this blend.

Wet on skin: Still light and lovely.

Dried down: This is gorgeous. It actually smells like vanilla. And makes me happy.

Throw: There is a little bit here, which is surprising because I'm testing a bunch of scents at the moment.

Verdict: ***** Yeah, this one is going to be a must-buy for me. I love too many of the Lupers...

This one is amazing in its simplicity.

It's soft, cuddly, and it smells like a rosy version of Alice. Instead of carnations, you get soft, creamy amber with just a brush of roses. I really do get a creamy/milky aspect to it.

Clean, white, sophisticated.

I wish this were made into lotion. It would be amazing.

at first this is all white amber on me, soft and pretty, then the rose peeks through a bit, though it's not very strong. this is mostly white amber on me. very elegant, classic and simple. it's been a long time since i've tried antique lace, so i could be wrong, but it seems reminiscent of that to me, except with rose, so it works better for me then antique lace did.

Such an amazingly beautiful yet simple scent. The perfect blend of rose and white amber, it is pure :wub2:

Stays close to the skin, zz nailed it on the head on this one, I also get the creamy aspect and I love it!

I wish I can bathe in it.

Soap. Nice rose soap. Normally this isn't something I'd wear, but I'm finding this rather pleasant today. Maybe the amber is making this wearable.

Soft, powdery rose and sweet, almost vanilla-like amber. Uncomplicated, graceful, peaceful, and lovely. There's a sweetness and warmth to this blend. I find it calming. It stays very close to the skin. I'm sure it's because I was just wearing Pink Snowballs, but this feels like a quieter, softer version of Pink Snowballs.

Thoughts before testing: My favorite non-BPAL perfume of all time is Stella by Stella McCartney which on me is mostly rose and amber so when I read the note list for Love Lay Upon Her Eyes I was sold. I bought a bottle when it was originally released and I loved it so much it became my most-worn BPAL (trailed closely behind Boo).

Wet: Very strong white amber, but not powdery. Just a hint of rose, very lovely.

Dry down: The rose comes slightly more to the forefront but the star of this show is definitely the amber.

Dry: Slightly floral tinged amber.

Final thoughts: This is absolutely lovely. It's not at all like Stella, which gives me more rose, but it's lovely and classy and feminine and slightly sexy. I wear this at least 3 times a week.

Oh my God dude. Gorgeous soft, powdery, vanillic amber rose. Pink Snowballs cousin definitely, but yes classy, feminine. Like PS grown up. It's not soapy really, but kinda more  like how you wish soap would be but isn't often enough. Just creamy, dreamy, vanilla amber rose.

For fans of Pink Snowballs, Katrina van Tassel, Lucy Westenra, lace blends, and yes I think Alice fans might like this, too.