Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
MCS4096

Weeping Faces of Wearied Loves

Oman frankincense, grape flowers, sweet myrrh, black currant bud, and Haitian vetiver stained by red wine.

The first sniff from the vial is sickly sweet vetiver. Be strong, you know it'll open up when it hits the skin!
Not going to lie, when it first hits the skin it smells like my local recycling center :lol: Old wine and garbage. BE STRONG!

This is a complex, layered blend-- Sweet myrrh and a moderately aggressive vetiver, here damp and smokey, form the base. Above them is a slightly sour and juicy purple fruit, the wine I suppose, but I don't find it boozy at all. And at the top an indistinct white-smelling floral mixed with bright frankincense. It's a little high-pitched. I got this decant for the 'grape flower," which I had never seen before, but I cant say I'm able to distinguish it here. I'm not sure if the floral aspect I smell also includes the currant bud, or if that note is contributing more to the fruitiness.

The vetiver is prominent but not dominating as time goes by. I would call this a wine and florals blend primarily, but the influence of the vetiver does give it a sort of decayed vibe. The florals become less and less obvious during dry down, allowing the blend to lose that high-pitched top note and mellow out.

Fully dried down it's got a medium throw and is fairly soft-- lightly floral purple fruit, with every now and then a whiff of well-behaved smokey vetiver. Quite a change from the bold opening upon first application.

Lovely layered resinous blend. I get frankincense, red wine, hints of grape and black currant, with a touch of smokiness from the myrrh.

This smells like a super fabulous sangria on top of resins. Despite all the bold notes, it doesn't have a huge throw and stays pretty close to the skin, making it very wearable and subtly sexy.

Surprisingly good.

The purple grapey wine scents never work on me, and this is no exception. I get none of my beloved Haitian Vetiver at all until the far drydown, and even then it remains buried under the wine and fruitiness.

Mostly a muted red wine. I like my red's voluptuous, and there's nothing much else here, it's kind of like watered down red wine. Not my thing.

At first sniff - VETIVER! Vetiver underscored by sweet resins - frankincense and myrrh. I have no idea if I'm smelling "grape flower." The wine's not showing up, either. A sweet, resinous blend for vetiver lovers, not a standout for me.

I don't know how to describe this, except that it smells like bpal. Kind of boozy, kind of florally, kind of musky, incensey and resiny. That being said, though its nice, its just not me.

Bottle: Sweet red wine with hints of vetiver.

Wet: Vetiver sweetened slightly by hints of the wine in the background.

Drydown: The balance shifts, and the wine hums softly, underscored by hints of resinous musk and a teensy bit of vetiver. Come back, vetiver, come back.

Dry: Soft, and faintly boozy wine. Very little of my friends, resin and vetiver, to speak of here. Pretty, but ultimately not me.

The Lab's red wine and I have a tempestuous relationship. The struggle is real in this scent, with a big hit upfront on the skin: sour, potent red wine that always reads as a strange perfumey version of what actual red wine smells and tastes like. I think it's amplified by the grape flower in this case to really underscore a floral twinge of grapiness. 

Upon drydown, the powdery just-shy-of-bubblegum myrrh steps forward and takes center stage. I don't really smell any frankincense or vetiver in the mix, alas. Those were the two I was really hoping for when I acquired this blend, and I miss their resinous and grassy presence a whole lot. The black currant is very quiet, just a whisper of dark fragrant berry, but whether you love or hate black currant, it's definitely not a big player here.

Overall, this is a musky red wine-dominant blend with some floral and myrrhish tendencies. It does mellow out as it sits, and gets quite pretty, even fancy. The vetiver never even peeks its head out. I ended up liking Weeping Faces of Wearied Loves a lot more than I thought I would, but I think someone else would like this more than me. Off it goes!

I would wear this while: having a reverse night out where I start out with lots of wine and gradually get more sober and sophisticated.