Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
kashmira

O Love and Time and Sin

Love and Time and Sin: red rose, Saturnian opoponax, and red musk.

The red musk is mostly dominant when wet, but once dry, the opoponax comes out and takes over. There is a hint of rose, but for once, it is not taking over the entire scent as it usually does.
Overall, this stays pretty much resinous on my skin, though whiffs of red roses and red musk come out every so often.

To me, this combination of scents is very deep and sophisticated, mournful and sexy. It captures the essence of deep ardent love that has come and left; now only the memories and scars from those passionate days and nights remain.

While this one isn't quite as complex note-wise as some other Luper scents, it does reflect the title of the poem perfectly. This one is definitely a keeper in my book.

Decanted an imp from a bottle bought at time of release.

IN THE IMP: Syrup? Odd. Yes. Syrup.

Dabbed in crook of one arm.

WET: Upon application, the rose immediately amps noticeably but it's a sweet almost soda-like rose, which may be the musk and oppo since they both tend to go cola on me (a good thing). Thus, there is still something darkly sweet when I huff the crook of my arm. Yet when I start to type, what wafts up to my nose is tea rose.

DRYDOWN: Definitely more rosy than anything else at the end but in a really mesmerizing way. And the slight syrup-y scent remains, reminding me a bit of Al Azif.

OVERALL: A keeper, yes. Not sure how often I'll wear it but I WILL wear it.

On a scale of 1-5, a 4.

I love being able to go back and forth between BPAL perfumes that have a kajillion notes and are lovely, complex beasts—an orchestra of notes—and then dip into one the next day that's just as lovely but is more like listening to a solo. Well, it more like a trio here. But there's a primacy to Love and Time and Sin that I appreciate and enjoy.

On me the rose and musk feel doled out in equal measure, and it reminds me a lot of Spellbound, one of my early favorites from the Lab. As with Spellbound, you get red musk and rose, but instead of Spellbound's warm amber, there's opoponax, which I always find really tough to describe. It smells like a cross between a wood and a resin to me—grounding and slightly herbal, slightly earthy. Love and Time and Sin is definitely worth trying if you like red roses and red musk, because they're strong and rather glorious here!

Oddly enough, all I got was molasses with a little bit of musk. I love rose and know what red musk smells like on its' own, so I'm pretty sure it's the opoponax that causes it to do that on my skin.

It's not horrible at all, and I'd say if you like darkly sweet foody scents, this is definitely right up your alley. I just don't dig foody scents. (Aside from the occasional fruity floral, anyway.) Passing this decant on to someone else.

Edited by lavenderfrost

It's very complex for only having three notes in it. The opponax is pretty strong at first and it kinda fights the musk. The rose is absent in the wet stage almost, but there's something floral just hiding. Eventually everyone plays nice together once it starts drying down and then it's just heady, very slightly sweet and quite musky. Darkly sexy. A barely visible sexy.

In the imp: The oil is a dark red, almost brown. It smells very, very sweet, like syrup, as someone said earlier, with a hint of rose.

Wet on skin: Interesting - not nearly as sweet on my skin - all I'm getting is faint incense - myrrh, mostly (Well, opoponax is also known as sweet myrrh, apparently).

Dried down: Ok, there's the sweet rose again! Now this scent has some real complexity - it has that caramel syrup sweetness, blended with a bright red/dark pink rose with the myrrh rounding everything off.

Throw: This has a bit of throw to it, alternating notes of rose and myrrh.

Verdict: ***** I really like this a lot. There is something holding me back, though. I know I'm going to want a bottle. The question is, do I need it now, or am I willing to wait to find it secondhand?

Edited by Magycmyste

The red musk is the strongest note at first, but it's not the spotlight hog that I anticipated. Together with the opoponax there's a strong woody feeling. The rose blends well with the scent, it's very lush.

This is a bit of a vampy scent. Scratch that, it's an extremely vampy scent. It vants to suck your blood.

This is definitely not as strong as I thought it would be. The opoponax is probably holding it down. Although opoponax gives the impression of syrupy sweetness, it can be hard to actually pick out as a scent. That must be why red musk isn't amping all over creation.

I will have to test further and see how long it lasts.

Red musk and red rose.

Deeply red rose. Deeply sexy.

In other words this smells like sex and red roses.

at first it's all clean red musk. the opopnax come forth after that, but the rose seems to be subtle and well balanced...all 3 notes seem to be there in equal parts, at least on my skin, though the red musk still seems most dominant at first sniff. the rose seems to come out more after it's been on my skin for awhile. this is a beautiful, sexy scent. simple yet beautiful and warm. love this!

It smells like spellbound to me but with a burning ancient incense type vibe added in.

If you haven't smelled spellbound for comparison this smells rosy/musky/dark/smoky.

Roses and red musk and...Sen-Sen candies?! Rememeber those tiny licorice tiles? I wish I still had my decant of Sic Erit for comparison, because I wrote that it also smelled like Sen-Sen and red musk is the only shared note that I see. It must be the red musk's interaction with other notes that is giving off a black licorice vibe. Anyway, this is a blend that really screams "Lupers" for me...romantic, sexy. Warm rose and flirtatious red musk and it is a bit sweet/syrupy as someone mentioned upthread. Don't think I need a bottle, but glad to have the decant.

ITI: Wow, that's strong. The opoponax reminds me of benzoin, along with a candied red musk on top of barely perceptible rose. Hmm. I'm usually a huge resin fan, but I'm not sure about this one.

Wet: Wow, I'm having a hard time smelling anything other than the opoponax and red musk. I think there might be rose in there, but the resins are so strong that I'm having trouble getting anything more than an impression. As it stands, the resin overpowers any complexity the rose might have offered.

Dry: For the first several hours, all I can think of is that it smells like opoponax, powder (red musk) and cat pee. Finally, after 5 hours, it smells more like red rose and musk with a touch of resin. However, I'm not sure I'm willing to wait that long for it to develop.

Mmmmmm hmmmmmmm.....! Sometimes red musk can smell kind of dusty on me, but the thick opoponax is smoooooooothing it out. This is a dark, syrupy rose, almost a reduction of a rose..not a fresh rose..more like an attar. Molasses like...yes...but dark red, not at all sulfuric. I can DO this rose. Simple. Brilliant. Drop dead gorgeous.

I thought that this was rose and patch, but it must be the opponax. A very interesting combination, I kind of like it, it's different in a good way. I like rose with a bit of something 'rough'.

When first applied, this is almost entirely red musk on my skin with a hint of rose. Lookingglass mentioned that the rose was "syrupy" and that's my impression too. It almost has a honeyed quality to it. As it dries. it's a battle for the top! I amp both rose and musk and they sure duke it out for first place. In the end, musk beats rose…but only by a hair! This is an incredibly sexy, red rose incense. I may need to track down a bottle, this is exactly how I like my rose. :)

I decided to try O Love and Time and Sin because of the reviews comparing it to Spellbound, which is an all-time favorite of mine. The comparisons are really accurate--the rose and musk in this are a lot like those in Spellbound, and both have a resin component as well--the amber there, the opoponax here. I admit to not really being a connoisseur of opoponax--I've mostly tried it in blends that had a million other things going on. So I think I've learned a little about it by trying this! I have a much better idea of what it smells like just by smelling the difference between this and Spellbound. The opoponax is incensey, husky, a little bitter.

This doesn't really morph much and is well-blended with none of the ingredients over-dominating. It's Spellbound played in a minor key. It's beautiful, and yet there's also something that makes me uneasy about it, more in a sad way than in a scary way. It may just be the power of suggestion, I don't know, but I get a sense of sadness from this. I feel the desire to keep it around, and yet I'm not sure how often I'll wear it, just because it's so close to its happier sister. But a scent experience I'm glad to have had.

Edited by lady_pandora

I try everything with red musk because I like it a lot. This one is veeeery red musky, with a smoky, resiny rose. For me, the rose note would be hard to pick out if I didn't know it was in there. Mostly musk and resin. Dark and sultry.

Sigh, I was hoping it would be red roses and sex on me like other posters described, but it was just mainly red musk on me...which is not a musk I care for on its own.

Wet: rose, sweet red musk, and Coca-Cola like opoponax. Syrupy is a good way to describe it. I love red musk, and rose, but the opoponax is making it a little "head-shoppy" for me.

Dry: This is more opoponax than the other notes. I don't dislike it, but I don't love it the way I love rose and red musk, so I had been hoping to primarily smell those two notes, rather than the other way around. It's ok, but not what I was looking for, and not something I am likely to wear. If you love all three of these notes though, I highly recommend trying this.

O Love and Time and Sin, a befitting name for such a heavy, sexy blend. 
This conjures an image of a darkened room, smoky with incense. The bed is in shambles, sheets soaked in sweat, with rose petals withered, crushed, and smeared all around. The atmosphere is weighty with sorrow, as if a realization of pleasure’s impermanence has set in and the responsibilities of life crowd the mind. Deeply sexy, yet deeply severe. Saturnian indeed. 
The scent becomes slightly powdery in the late drydown, perhaps this is the tone of one’s acceptance of fate.