Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
GoldenRubee

Kneel Down, Fair Love, and Fill Thyself with Tears

A soft raiment of woven sighs: gossamer orris root and silken white magnolia over a sheer dove-grey musk.

I purchased this mainly for the musk, I love musk anything. So I wasn't disappointed when I smelled the bottle and it was...musk! On my skin I smell what I believe to be violets-soft, dewy, just budding violets. Then the violets intertwine among the baby soft magnolia and then heavens opened up and skies rain gently down droplets of dove grey musk upon these baby flowers. That's what this scent is like, the gentlest of floral scents. The magnolia and orris root (violets) and musk together are soft, gentle, subtle, delicate, graceful, truly an elegant scent.

I am massively in love with orris root, so this one was a must-have. Orris root is the dominant note in this, so if you like it, you must check it out. That quality of silkenness and sheerness in the scent description is really apt. The magnolia and the grey musk are both very creamy and light, and never go powdery on me. Overall, it's beautifully blended, gently sweet, and delicate. Easy to wear, and I think will be lovely year-round.

Origin: Straight from the Lab

Initial Thoughts: I will always stop and take another look at a scent with magnolia. Grey musk will hopefully be light enough not to amp like a guitar and I know little of orris root.

In the Bottle: Elegantly floral. My initial impression is that this is something my mom would wear and she went for classics like Chanel No. 5. There's the tiniest edge of something sour.

Wet: The edge of sour blasts out and then fades quite a bit, leaving mostly magnolia and musk.

Drydown: This isn't morphing a whole lot. That bit of sourness lingers and I'm trying to convince myself that it's a feature, not a bug. The musk is smoothing out the magnolia, reducing the greeny factor one would get sniffing a fresh magnolia and preserving that air of mature elegance.

Verdict: I think I'll keep this one. I can think of so many places I might go where this slightly older and elegant scent would be a good fit.

Grey musk and Orris root make this perfume SWOONWORTHY!!! :wub2: It's delicate and refined with a spider web/gossamer feel to it and that's while it's just wet! :eek: Dry, the magnolia peeks through like a fog creeping like cat's feet over the road. Slow, soft, and seductive. Not a very loud scent at all. I just adore this and I am so glad I have a bottle.

Sad, I really thought this one was going to be an instant bottle purchase, but there is just nothing about it that is memorable enough to require more.

It's a very pleasant, almost soothing musk. I get the orris, but no magnolia. Very calm and ladylike, would probably be great in an office. but I like my scents oversized, and this is not.

Tzi

It opens with mainly the orris root, but rather quickly the other notes come into play as well. Dove grey would definitely be a colour I would describe this with. The musk is very light and snuggly, and the florals are wistful and faint. It is a very understated blend that would fit a lot of occasions. No note is really overpowering the others, and they blend together well.

I probably won't be needing a bottle, but I am glad I got to try it!

Light, clean, sweet musk in the decant.

On my skin, wow, that's different! Much brighter on the skin than in the imp...

I really like Dark Alice's description of the scent, and I pretty much completely agree, so just refer to that. :) I'm not sure about a bottle, but it really is very, very lovely.

In the imp: This is a very soft scent. It definitely fits the color grey. I picture heavy, heavy mist with this.

Wet on skin: Still very grey, with the magnolia trying to peek through the mist, but not really succeeding. I can't really pick out the orris root from the grey musk, so I'm not sure which is dominating this blend.

Dried down: This is really just soft and pretty. It comes a little close to traditional perfume for me, but not in the bad way.

Throw: It's got a little bit of throw.

Verdict: **** I like this one a lot. Again, just not sure if I absolutely love it. It's plesant, but doesn't make me go "wow!" or want to keep breathing it in.

A soft floral...sorry, that's all I've got for this one. I really need a single note orris so I can identify it properly. Same for magnolia. This blend is dry, powdery, makes me think of white flowers. There's something earthy, maybe the grey musk. Soft as a sigh, like the description says. Nice but not my kind of floral.

Soft musk is accentuated with sharp orris, with a wet wool overlay thanks to the magnolia. It's soft, and almost powdery on me.

Pretty, subtle, white floral. And if the magnolia behaves for you, I bet its a stunner in that stealthy ninja sort of way.

It's very powerful in the same way that Love Lay Upon Her Eyes is. Simplicity at its best.

Quiet and close to the skin, I expected this to be cooler somehow, but it's warm. It definitely fits grey as a scent colour. Primarily orris, the musk comes through quite quickly

I'm amping up the musk, it's pretty much a twin note scent for me.

This was the one I was thinking I would love the most, but I'm not sure how much I will go for this!

Very pretty. First off, I'm getting the Iris, though I could swear there's a touch of violet here as well. Goes very nicely with just a touch of sheer musk. The whole effect is kind of shimmering and luminescent. Reminds me of scents like Moonshine and Mist, Silver Phoenix, and Staged Moon Landing. I like this, I may hunt down more, but don't know if funds will allow it, and it's not a MUST HAVE NOW. I don't think I have any Iris scents, though I have violet which I find kind of similar.

at first this is like a soft grey musk with iris/orris root, and i too, swear, violet like milo mentioned. then the magnolia comes through and is very subtle. this is a light, elegant scent that is perfect for spring. it's like spring in a bottle to me. i love iris/orris root so i am digging this.

i just looked up orris root and it says: Fabienne Pavia, in her book L'univers des Parfums (1995, ed. Solar), states that in the manufacturing of perfumes using orris, the scent of the iris root differs from that of the flower. After preparation the scent is reminiscent of the smell of violets. the more you know ;)

the magnolia does go a bit soapy on me, which is my only complaint, but my skin chemistry is picky so it's to be expected. i think i'll keep my decant to wear in spring.

eta: we FINALLY got some rain in california and this seemed like the perfect scent to wear today. today it doesn't seem soapy at all. just a subtle magnolia-iris with the beautiful musk in the background. miiight need a bottle now.

Edited by theseagrows

Magnolia is one of those florals that like jasmine is right on the cusp of love or hate for me because of the indolic qualities of it. The first time I wore this, those properties were thoroughly enjoyed, yet the second time, it was too much. I tend to like magnolia more when it is blended with several others as it is usually too heady for me, which is the case here.

We had many Iris patches around our yard when I was a child. I would pluck the flowers and take them apart and examine them. They appeared almost edible--sumptuous, petals fragrant velvety to touch.

The orris here is the highlight with it's violet breath, mixing with luminous magnolia in a sophisticated way. The musk is delicate and dances through the blend with swishy hips and parted lips. The gentle hum of the magnolia gives it an overall creaminess and sweetness, with a whisper as tears fall to transform into diamonds.

Edited by Jenjin

Very pretty and sheer.  Powdery from the orris, and an almost mint like coolness.  Maybe that's the musk giving it that sort of aldehyde chill?  The magnolia just gives the fragrance a bit of floral roundness.  Very feminine, delicate, and understated.  Something you'd wear on a misty, spring day when everything looks like an impressionist painting.  

This is a misty fragrance with purple highlights.  First I smell the orris as violet (only a violet that works on my skin), with a light, salty, powedery, resinous frank, and a fluffy, soft grey musk.  I don't smell much magnolia, unless it is flowering up the orris.  This is a soft, feminine scent that wears close to the skin and doesn't last super long.  It doesn't make me feel mournful at all. 

Kneel Down offers huge puffs of powdery orris and violet on my skin, with a light, creamy magnolia background.

This was a generous free bottle for me recently! Unfortunately, its notes are diametrically opposed to my vibe and tastes. I know someone who might enjoy the gift, though, so I get to pass the love.